PDA

View Full Version : Ki points

Manly Man
2013-07-17, 01:51 AM
So, to explain this, I am a huge fan of Tome of Battle. I do enjoy making the occasional caster, however, and for the first time, I've made a Sorcerer using the alternate rules for spell points instead of having spells per day. Considering that psionics, and now magic, have their own point system, what would we consider about giving ToB characters such a thing?

They would get to still know and prepare their maneuvers as normal, but would have a cost of ki points per maneuver, most likely to have far lower numbers than the psionics or spellcasters, but they would have a recovery mechanic. These would have to change from how they currently are a bit, if you ask me, since a flourish or an attack restoring all of a Warblade's ki doesn't make as much sense as, say, a Swordsage spending a full round to meditate and restore a lot of his points. A Crusader could start with a certain amount of points, and each round his faith grants him more and more until he's reached his max.

Of course, this would make a good few feats be worthless, or at least nearly so, but it's still an interesting idea, to me. Thoughts, anyone?

Novawurmson
2013-07-17, 11:34 AM
I like the idea a lot, and it's something I've been fiddling with a little in my spare time (only instead of calling it "ki points," something like "technique points"). Seriously, there are so many great psionic powers - and some great spells, especially in PF with the "litany" spells - that have no reason they have to be magical. Hustle is a great example. Move quick? Sounds like something a fighter should have no trouble mastering!

The-Mage-King
2013-07-17, 01:09 PM
I've tinkered with the idea, myself.

I'd call them Stamina points, and stick 'em at like 1/IL+Con mod.

A good, solid number to work with.

Urpriest
2013-07-17, 01:14 PM
The thing is, higher level maneuvers don't take any more resources than lower level maneuvers in the current system. So unless you want to change that, a point-based system will be the same as the current one since everything will just cost one point.

Manly Man
2013-07-17, 01:40 PM
The thing is, higher level maneuvers don't take any more resources than lower level maneuvers in the current system. So unless you want to change that, a point-based system will be the same as the current one since everything will just cost one point.

Which is something that I aimed to change with the addition of points. The higher the level of the maneuver, the more points it would cost. This is still just a budding idea, so I haven't done things like made tables yet, and still have to consider a lot more. I had just thought of it, and welcome any ideas on what to do with it.

Fouredged Sword
2013-07-17, 02:17 PM
Well, lets start with base mechanics.

Warblade and Crusader - Starts with Con+1 modifier Ki, recovers class level/2 (round up) of Ki when he goes for a full round without using an ability that takes Ki. Ki pool expands 1 point per class level.

Swordsage - Starts with 5+Con modifier Ki, Recovers con mod worth of Ki as a standard action and 1 point per round automatically. Ki pool expands 1 point per even class level, and 2 points on odd levels.

Adaptive style allows any adept to recover all their Ki as a full round action.

Taking a stance or using a maneuver takes Ki equal to the level of the ability. No maneuver can be use more than once in a round.

Manly Man
2013-07-18, 11:14 AM
That seems like a good start, most definitely. However, I think that they all should get to have a rate of recovery all their own for each class, possibly one that improves as they gain levels. For example, a Crusader's recovery would start out as one point per round, and every four levels after that they would gain one more point, up to five points per round at level seventeen. Warblades would have something similar, except have it be one more point every five, ending with four at level sixteen. Swordsages would start with two, gain another one at fourth, and every four levels thereafter get another point, topping off at level twenty with six points.

As for the Adaptive Style feat, how's about it lets you change out maneuvers, and for each maneuver you switch you get one point of ki back per level of the maneuver? The feat stays useful, and with builds that focus on a lot of high-level maneuvers, especially with the Swordsage, it may as well end up recovering them all anyway, but it doesn't immediately come across as something 'overpowered', and thereby getting a knee-jerk from someone who'd be iffy about the whole idea in the first place.

Speaking of feats, how would it sound to have a feat to either raise your recovery rate, or to raise your total ki pool? The recovery one I'd definitely limit on how many times you can take it, though the increase on one's pool might be less stringent. Any other ideas?