PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Bob

pendell
2013-07-17, 09:14 AM
Yes, really (http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57593736-75/bill-gates-says-microsoft-bob-will-make-a-comeback/).

Is Microsoft TRYING to commit corporate suicide?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Rockphed
2013-07-17, 09:19 AM
No, but I think they might be corporately drunk. First a chaotic reorganization, now a blatantly bad idea.

Flickerdart
2013-07-17, 12:51 PM
Google has Google Now. Apple has Siri. What about this is a bad idea, exactly?

enderlord99
2013-07-17, 02:11 PM

The fact that you (presumably) can't turn it off.

LaZodiac
2013-07-17, 02:17 PM

Clippy, but worse.

Togath
2013-07-17, 05:33 PM
Yes, really (http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57593736-75/bill-gates-says-microsoft-bob-will-make-a-comeback/).

Is Microsoft TRYING to commit corporate suicide?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Given their utterly flopped attempt at their most recent version of xbox as well?
It's hard to believe they aren't trying to commit corporate suicide:smallsigh:

Fiery Diamond
2013-07-18, 12:02 AM
What is this I don't even.

That said, I actually liked playing around with Microsoft Bob when I was a kid. Of course, I didn't actually USE it for anything, I just created a house with lots of room and special effects toys and scenic views out the window. Also, I swapped the dog for the other people. Basically, I used it as a game to play. I was... what, seven or eight? I was gonna say six because of the year, but then I remembered that I couldn't read that well when I was six.

Clippy was also entertaining when you didn't use the paper clip version.

grimbold
2013-07-18, 04:13 AM
Clippy was also entertaining when you didn't use the paper clip version.
dat wizard brah

on topic: i can see this working I think what Gates might mean is that they plan on bringing back the character rather than all the mediocre stuff about him. Of course, judging by windows recent spate of failures it will probably end up being like Clippy from hell

Skeppio
2013-07-18, 04:29 AM
The XBox One's horrendous unveiling...
Microsoft Bob making a return...

Yep, looks like a definite suicide, lieutenant.

Totally Guy
2013-07-18, 05:37 AM
They're not bringing back McZee (http://www.google.co.uk/search?gs_rn=21&gs_ri=psy-ab&cp=5&gs_id=e&xhr=t&q=mczee&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.49478099,d.d2k&biw=1163&bih=243&wrapid=tljp137414378844208&safe=active&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=MMXnUeP7L-eH0AWzvoGAAQ)?

Grinner
2013-07-18, 06:23 AM
That said, I actually liked playing around with Microsoft Bob when I was a kid. Of course, I didn't actually USE it for anything, I just created a house with lots of room and special effects toys and scenic views out the window. Also, I swapped the dog for the other people. Basically, I used it as a game to play. I was... what, seven or eight? I was gonna say six because of the year, but then I remembered that I couldn't read that well when I was six.

So...Minecraft?

grimbold
2013-07-18, 06:28 AM
They're not bringing back McZee (http://www.google.co.uk/search?gs_rn=21&gs_ri=psy-ab&cp=5&gs_id=e&xhr=t&q=mczee&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.49478099,d.d2k&biw=1163&bih=243&wrapid=tljp137414378844208&safe=active&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=MMXnUeP7L-eH0AWzvoGAAQ)?

i loved that guy...

enderlord99
2013-07-18, 03:40 PM
Clippy from hell

That's as redundant as saying "Martians from Mars."

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2013-07-18, 08:29 PM
I never really got why people hated Clippy. Whenever he popped up, I was just all "Thanks, brah, I got this," and that was that. It was very nice of him to offer to help and he's a cute little paperclip.

Winthur
2013-07-18, 08:35 PM
It looks like you're questioning Microsoft's business policy.

Would you like help?

Get help with debating the subject (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ)
Just debate the subject without help (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/login.php?do=logout&logouthash=cfc98737849f1906649ff7fc5d254578a0cdc7f b)

grimbold
2013-07-19, 03:29 AM

this made my day
just thought you should know :smallbiggrin:

Aedilred
2013-07-19, 06:32 AM
The XBox One's horrendous unveiling...
Microsoft Bob making a return...

Yep, looks like a definite suicide, lieutenant.
Don't forget the Windows 8 disaster, too.

I'm generally inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt on Bob, though. While the original program was entirely pointless, I'm not sure why it attracted quite as much opprobium as it did (and as a child, it was kind of fun for a while, as Fiery Diamond says). That's not to preclude the possibility they'll make a complete train wreck out of this, of course, but it sounds like the product is a way off launch.

Besides, reading the article, this isn't actually MS Bob #2 - that's just the writer being sensational.

grimbold
2013-07-19, 06:40 AM
Besides, reading the article, this isn't actually MS Bob #2 - that's just the writer being sensational.
thats what i thought too
its just the new microsoft AI helper

tomandtish
2013-07-19, 11:01 AM

Well, since my parents were exiled here 46 years ago and I'm only 44, technically ...

Never mind. I'm not supposed to discuss this. Just look at the flashing light....

Togath
2013-07-19, 04:12 PM
Don't forget the Windows 8 disaster, too.

I've never gotten what annoyed people about windows 8:smallconfused:

grimbold
2013-07-19, 05:12 PM

a lot of people find it clunky and hard to use
personally i've never really had that much experience with it but my grandfather (Who is actually very tech savvy) hates it with a burning passion

Aedilred
2013-07-19, 07:43 PM
I think in some ways it's a similar problem Microsoft had with Clippy, but on a much bigger scale; it took something that was useful to and popular with some users (in this case, tablet and phone users) and obliged everyone else to use it as well, in such a way that it dramatically worsened their user experience. Uncharacteristically for Windows, too, some of the controls weren't terribly intuitive, and relied on commands and functions that were either entirely new or had not previously been widely used, so a lot of users struggled with the interface.

Once you remove the interface issues, I gather that the OS is actually pretty good, and it shouldn't take too much work to patch into a perfectly good OS for all users; they just cocked up the launch.

We had a thread on it a couple of months back. In any case, regardless of the quality of the product, the reception of the public and reaction of the company was such that it's been compared by analysts to New Coke.

Anarion
2013-07-20, 03:12 AM
Eh, the idea isn't terrible, it's primarily the execution, which maybe will get better...or maybe not.

The part where we don't get to customize them and battle with our friends, duh.

It looks like you're questioning Microsoft's business policy.

Would you like help?

Get help with debating the subject (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ)
Just debate the subject without help (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/login.php?do=logout&logouthash=cfc98737849f1906649ff7fc5d254578a0cdc7f b)

Man, I was just trying to make a 5 column table, Clippy.

Edit:

I think in some ways it's a similar problem Microsoft had with Clippy, but on a much bigger scale; it took something that was useful to and popular with some users (in this case, tablet and phone users) and obliged everyone else to use it as well, in such a way that it dramatically worsened their user experience. Uncharacteristically for Windows, too, some of the controls weren't terribly intuitive, and relied on commands and functions that were either entirely new or had not previously been widely used, so a lot of users struggled with the interface.

Once you remove the interface issues, I gather that the OS is actually pretty good, and it shouldn't take too much work to patch into a perfectly good OS for all users; they just cocked up the launch.

We had a thread on it a couple of months back. In any case, regardless of the quality of the product, the reception of the public and reaction of the company was such that it's been compared by analysts to New Coke.

It's partially that Windows 7 was really well-received and fixed so many problems, but Windows 8 took what was a really good setup and just gave you the same thing with an added layer of annoyance to go through. I don't really want to revive this debate, but to the extent that Microsoft makes a personal assistant, they should make it customizable.

Marnath
2013-07-20, 03:52 AM
You guys know that there was an option to disable Clippy, right? You didn't need to put up with him if you didn't like him.

grimbold
2013-07-20, 06:43 AM

this is the crux of the issue
the interace isnt really PC friendly, but if they launched a PC version with a windows 7 type interface it would be excellent

Flickerdart
2013-07-20, 11:13 AM
this is the crux of the issue
the interace isnt really PC friendly, but if they launched a PC version with a windows 7 type interface it would be excellent
What, you mean the Desktop mode that already exists?

Rockphed
2013-07-20, 12:47 PM
Can we please not start that debate again. It lasted for about 10 pages last time and created many bad feelings. Let me summarize that thread:

The default settings for windows 8 do not work well for non-touch devices.

The desktop mode works well for non-touch devices.

There are a couple fairly straightforward key combinations that could make the situation more friendly for PCs, but they are not well publicised by microsoft.

The start menu is stuck in a state that is not friendly to PCs.

Stagnation is bad.

Change for the sake of change is bad.

The apps ability is not very good for PCs.

The 15 second boot time is really impressive.

For once, a microsoft product without stability issues! Go microsoft!

(I probably missed a couple points. But you get the idea.)

If I could remember the name of the thread, I would link to it, but I cannot.

deema
2013-09-13, 01:02 AM
I am sorry to inform the big guy, but I have already developed and released what, apparently, MS Bob had only dreamed it would become. Splinter is, from what I have seen of Bob, "Bob done right" on steroids.

I had never heard of Bob until a year after Splinter was made public. So it isn't a derivative or 'based on bob" or anything like that. It is my vision of what the desktop environment actually is, which is an entirely untapped and limitless universe capable of anything that can be imagined.

It is the world's first truly imagery based programming "language" and, as such, is able to be created with by the masses, not just the coders.

The latest demo video entitled Desktop Domination Demonstration shows the various genres of splinterfaces that I, myself, have already created. There are endless undiscovered genres that will be designed by the end user population, all in due time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CELd41W_04

Mutant Sheep
2013-09-13, 01:09 AM

I have nothing to really say about Microsoft making comically confusin decisions with their quadrillions, but I needed to thank you for reminding me about this guy. Just.. Thank you. Thank you so much.:smallbiggrin:

supermonkeyjoe
2013-09-13, 11:05 AM
Microsoft Bob, no, how about Microsoft Cortana?

"Don't make a girl a promise if you know you can't keep it." - Cortana (http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/windows-phone-8-1-s-siri-like-cortana-takes-cues-from-sexy-halo-ai-1180710)

I predict the service lifecycle will be around 7 years :smallbiggrin: (Halo joke)

Mando Knight
2013-09-13, 01:58 PM
The part where we don't get to customize them and battle with our friends, duh.

If I can't upload my AI assistant into a mini-tablet/smartphone and give it little expansion cards to help it zap rival AI assistants, then I don't know what kind of 20XX this world thinks it's coming to.