PDA

View Full Version : Magic Domain

ThatBaneCleric
2013-07-17, 09:15 AM
Hey guys.

I am building a cleric of Mystra (Forgotten Realms) and am taking the knowledge and Magic domain.

I know i get all knowledge skills with the Knowledge domain and i get access to Scrolls, wands, staffs and all other magic items that wizards/sorcerers usually only get with the Magic domain, at half char lvl (am lvl 7 atm so i am casting as a 3'rd level wizard).

I am wondering, since i am wearing full plate and did not see it anywhere, figured id ask you guys, do i have the full arcane spell failiure of full plate or ? Seeing as i am getting this through the domain.

Thanks in advance

Lord Vukodlak
2013-07-17, 09:21 AM
Spell Completion items such as scrolls would incur arcane spell failure, however spell trigger items such as wands or staves would not.

That arcane scroll of haste doesn't cease to be an arcane spell just because a cleric with the magic domain or a rogue with UMD is using it.

Darrin
2013-07-17, 09:23 AM
I am wondering, since i am wearing full plate and did not see it anywhere, figured id ask you guys, do i have the full arcane spell failiure of full plate or ? Seeing as i am getting this through the domain.

Spell trigger items (wands, staves) do not incur Arcane Spell Failure.

Spell completion items (scrolls) do.

ThatBaneCleric
2013-07-17, 10:00 AM
okey, awesome! thanks guys for clearing that up for me... my dm would of cruicified my char if i would of messed that up :P

BowStreetRunner
2013-07-17, 10:06 AM
Another consideration, most Spell Completion methods cost more per spell than Spell Trigger methods. For instance, a wand of Knock is 4,500 gp, which works out to 90 gp per spell, while a scroll of Knock is 150 gp. So it is not only better to use Spell Trigger devices to avoid ASF, but it is also generally cheaper in the long run.

ThatBaneCleric
2013-07-17, 10:19 AM
Another consideration, most Spell Completion methods cost more per spell than Spell Trigger methods. For instance, a wand of Knock is 4,500 gp, which works out to 90 gp per spell, while a scroll of Knock is 150 gp. So it is not only better to use Spell Trigger devices to avoid ASF, but it is also generally cheaper in the long run.

Yeah in the long run its cheaper... but starting cash is 17k and i cant exactly go buy a wand of fireballs + the usual equipment for clerics now can i ? :P Scrolls will have to do for now.... untill i slay a wizard or two and claim their wands :P

Curmudgeon
2013-07-17, 10:44 AM
Yeah in the long run its cheaper... but starting cash is 17k and i cant exactly go buy a wand of fireballs + the usual equipment for clerics now can i ? :P Scrolls will have to do for now....
See the CREATING PCS ABOVE 1ST LEVEL rules (Dungeon Master's Guide, page 199) and you'll find this:
Charged Magic Items: A player may select a partially used magic item for part of his character’s starting gear.

Rebel7284
2013-07-17, 11:00 AM
If you are using a wand of fireball, you are doing it wrong anyway. :P

Also, take initiate of Mystra and just MEMORIZE the wizard spells. :)

Also, cloistered cleric would give you the knowledge domain for free.

Also, look into Dweomerkeeper if you want more power with the same flavor.
edit: Take Magical Training feat if you want to do Dweomerkeeper without losing caster levels.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-07-17, 11:11 AM

True but in many cases you don't need fifty charges of an item. If you only use 10 charges from that wand each casting actually cost you 450gp. 270gp per casting if you sell the wand after 10 uses. Knock however is one of those spells you can probably get 50 charges out of but that won't be true in all cases.

Seharvepernfan
2013-07-17, 04:54 PM
(Awesome-ness)

Sweet baby Jesus.

Thank you, curmudgeonly sir!

Rubik
2013-07-17, 05:18 PM
See the CREATING PCS ABOVE 1ST LEVEL rules (Dungeon Master's Guide, page 199) and you'll find this:Oh god. Not partially charged wands! NOOOOOOOOoooooooo........

...Sorry. After the trauma with those and Pickford's monks, I start having flashbacks.

Horrible, horrible flashbacks...

Chronos
2013-07-17, 06:42 PM
It was Sir Giacomo who had all the partially-charged wands, not Pickford.

And many scrolls are for things that you expect to be using once or less during your career: They're a good choice for the fix-what's-wrong-with-you spells like Remove Curse, Remove Blindness, and Raise Dead.

Rubik
2013-07-17, 06:54 PM
It was Sir Giacomo who had all the partially-charged wands, not Pickford.Oh? I couldn't tell the difference. Sorry.

ThatBaneCleric
2013-07-17, 09:06 PM
If you are using a wand of fireball, you are doing it wrong anyway. :P

Also, take initiate of Mystra and just MEMORIZE the wizard spells. :)

Also, cloistered cleric would give you the knowledge domain for free.

Also, look into Dweomerkeeper if you want more power with the same flavor.
edit: Take Magical Training feat if you want to do Dweomerkeeper without losing caster levels.

Initiate feats are all banned (belive me, it was the first feat i had in mind... then my DM mindslapped me... )

See the CREATING PCS ABOVE 1ST LEVEL rules (Dungeon Master's Guide, page 199) and you'll find this:

Yes, i knew about that, but DM saiz no... :(