PDA

View Full Version : Rules for playing a child?

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-17, 10:55 AM
Does anyone know where I can find rules for playing a child character. Someone in my group keeps thinking they exist but I can't find them. No dandwiki.

Tanuki Tales
2013-07-17, 10:56 AM
If you're open to Pathfinder stuff then you could just slap the Young simple template on them.

Shrink them by one size category, reduce natural armor by 2 (minimum 0), -4 Strength, -4 Constitution, +4 Dexterity.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-17, 11:26 AM
If you're open to Pathfinder stuff then you could just slap the Young simple template on them.

Shrink them by one size category, reduce natural armor by 2 (minimum 0), -4 Strength, -4 Constitution, +4 Dexterity.

Thank you, We often make pathfinder based house-rules without ever actually going into pathfinder or playing 3.P. I think this will work.

Yanisa
2013-07-17, 11:30 AM
Thank you, We often make pathfinder based house-rules without ever actually going into pathfinder or playing 3.P. I think this will work.

Since the latest book (ultimate campaign) pathfinder has a lot more rules about Young Characters (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/more-character-options/young-characters). They might be a bit more limiting though then a template.

Tanuki Tales
2013-07-17, 11:35 AM
Since the latest book (ultimate campaign) pathfinder has a lot more rules about Young Characters (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/more-character-options/young-characters). They might be a bit more limiting though then a template.

That came out? Awesome.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-07-17, 12:22 PM

The ridiculous limited to NPC classes is the only major issue but for something like a rogue or a sorcerer being a twelve shouldn't stop you form being 1st level in a PC class.

Psyren
2013-07-17, 12:40 PM
There is a clause in those rules about passing into adulthood early after achieving a noteworthy goal or surviving a traumatic event, even if you're young. So you can simply talk it over with your GM, write something noteworthy into your backstory, and take a PC class.

A ready example in my mind would be Harry Potter defeating Quirrel, or perhaps Tom Riddle's diary - he didn't really use much magic until book 3 and that would dovetail with having reduced casting potential until that point.

Prime32
2013-07-17, 12:56 PM

Shrink them by one size category, reduce natural armor by 2 (minimum 0), -4 Strength, -4 Constitution, +4 Dexterity.Urgh... that template is insanely good for spellcasters (especially undead ones), to the point where there's barely any reason not to take it. I mean, a negative level adjustment? :smallyuk:

The easiest way to do it is just play a halfling. A strongheart halfling for a human child, tallfellow halfling for an elf child, or deep halfling for a dwarf one. Even the luck bonus fits.

Tanuki Tales
2013-07-17, 01:01 PM
Urgh... that template is insanely good for spellcasters (especially undead ones), to the point where there's barely any reason not to take it. I mean, a negative level adjustment? :smallyuk:

I left out the -1 CR for a reason. :smalltongue:

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-17, 01:06 PM
Urgh... that template is insanely good for spellcasters (especially undead ones), to the point where there's barely any reason not to take it. I mean, a negative level adjustment? :smallyuk:

The easiest way to do it is just play a halfling. A strongheart halfling for a human child, tallfellow halfling for an elf child, or deep halfling for a dwarf one. Even the luck bonus fits.

-1 CR is not the same as -1 LA especially in 3.5. My group will probably let me use the Young template as a +0 LA.

Tanuki Tales
2013-07-17, 01:09 PM
-1 CR is not the same as -1 LA especially in 3.5. My group will probably let me use the Young template as a +0 LA.

It is in Pathfinder.

Not an issue in 3.5 though.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-07-17, 01:34 PM

How old is this character going to be... if your say twelve you could probably forgo any stat adjustments but something like eight would probably require some adjustments.

Segev
2013-07-17, 01:47 PM
It's potentially quite broken, but in the d20 Game of Thrones book, there IS a template for playing children. It comes with hefty physical stat penalties, a -1 LA, but a +2 Cha. It doesn't technically make you a size category smaller, but you can't wield 2-handed weapons for your own size category. It is insanely good for a sorcerer. And sorcerer is, oddly, one class that would be quite fitting for a child; it's all natural talent.

Psyren
2013-07-17, 01:58 PM
It is in Pathfinder.

Not really. It's a suggestion at best, and templates on PCs isn't even directly addressed anywhere.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-17, 02:15 PM
I'm playing an undead noctumancer with the body of a ten year old. A friend asked if i was going to play with the rules for a child and i decided to look for them because i thought it might be flavorful and fun. So I'm going to ask if the young template is ok. It amounts to a -4 Str, +4 Dex and small size for my character. It seems like a balanced template, but i realize that a caster type character primarily benefits from having all that extra AC.

Just to Browse
2013-07-17, 04:05 PM
Prime32, that is a genius idea. Stealing and keeping.

Tanuki Tales
2013-07-17, 04:13 PM
Not really. It's a suggestion at best, and templates on PCs isn't even directly addressed anywhere.

It more or less is.

They gave general rules for Monster PCs and how CR works in that case. Templates are just modular monsters.

So CR is roughly and basically LA in Pathfinder. It's not a pretty thing in practice, but it's loads better than RHD+LA from 3.5 back in the day.

Psyren
2013-07-17, 05:44 PM
It more or less is.

They gave general rules for Monster PCs and how CR works in that case. Templates are just modular monsters.

So CR is roughly and basically LA in Pathfinder. It's not a pretty thing in practice, but it's loads better than RHD+LA from 3.5 back in the day.

I don't disagree that it's better, and indeed one of my favorite change in PF was improving the racial power baseline such that things like Drow and Tieflings didn't need LA anymore.

But the negative CR doesn't actually mean you get a "free LA" to spend somewhere else either. Again, the system is composed of guidelines and encourages the DM to take a very active hand in how it actually plays out.

Tanuki Tales
2013-07-17, 05:54 PM
But the negative CR doesn't actually mean you get a "free LA" to spend somewhere else either. Again, they system is composed of guidelines and encourages the DM to take a very active hand in how it actually plays out.

I've only ever seen it used to get specific monsters into lower level games honestly, not for template shenanigans.

elonin
2013-07-17, 06:06 PM
Does it mention anywhere that you can't advance to venerable and slap this template on for a mental character?

Lateral
2013-07-17, 07:53 PM
Does it mention anywhere that you can't advance to venerable and slap this template on for a mental character?
Besides the combined -10 CON? And the fact that Venerable means (for humans) above 70 years old, while Youth means below 15?

Ashtagon
2013-07-18, 12:38 AM
http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=8366

That's pretty much all I have to say on the topic.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-18, 02:56 AM
http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=8366

That's pretty much all I have to say on the topic.

All I have to say to that is, D&D is very unrealistic therefore this realistic interpretation of children in D&D must be completely unrealistic in the context of D&D.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-07-18, 02:57 AM
All I have to say to that is, D&D is very unrealistic therefore this realistic interpretation of children in D&D must be completely unrealistic in the context of D&D.

Agreed, though the average height table is rather handy.

Ashtagon
2013-07-18, 03:01 AM

And in paragraph two, I note that for "heroic" children, play a hobbit, re-fluff as a bigfolk child, and role-play the heck out of it.

Criticism is wonderful. Criticism that fails to acknowledge significant parts of the post, not so much.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-18, 03:17 AM
And in paragraph two, I note that for "heroic" children, play a hobbit, re-fluff as a bigfolk child, and role-play the heck out of it.

Criticism is wonderful. Criticism that fails to acknowledge significant parts of the post, not so much.

Hmm, I do remember reading something like that in the post.

But it's D&D, Just using a halfling's stats would make sense. It isn't nearly complicated or convoluted enough to work.:smalltongue:

Ashtagon
2013-07-18, 03:23 AM
Hmm, I do remember reading something like that in the post.

But it's D&D, Just using a halfling's stats would make sense. It isn't nearly complicated or convoluted enough to work.:smalltongue:

Ah yes. "Can't do that --- it'd be SENSIBLE!" :smallbiggrin:

Lord Vukodlak
2013-07-18, 03:41 AM

Well seeing as how the OP is talking about playing a heroic character you could have skipped linking the content from that post and just included the part.

if you want to play heroic children anyway, the simplest approach is to play as either a human (for older kids of about 13+) or halfling, use point-buy for ability scores, and avoid picking too high a Strength or Wisdom score.
Rather then display the more realistic rules at all

Ashtagon
2013-07-18, 06:16 AM
Well seeing as how the OP is talking about playing a heroic character you could have skipped linking the content from that post and just included the part.

OP mentions playing a child character. Nothing about being a hero in there.

[/pedant]

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-18, 06:57 AM
I remember, somewhere, maybe 3.0, there were rules in one book (MM?) about immature giants that one might run into in a giant camp. It would be interesting to compare said kind of rules to what's been suggested in this thread.

I might be misremembering 2e, now that I think about it. I've read a crazy number of monster descriptions over the years, and it all gets a bit confused as I sit here, half-asleep, typing about something or other....

*yawn*

Coidzor
2013-07-18, 08:25 AM
OP mentions playing a child character. Nothing about being a hero in there.

[/pedant]

Better to assume they don't want to be an albatross until they've explicitly stated so. I mean, really, do you *want* to be like SKR? :smalltongue:

Ashtagon
2013-07-18, 08:33 AM
Better to assume they don't want to be an albatross until they've explicitly stated so. I mean, really, do you *want* to be like SKR? :smalltongue:

I assume they want what they asked for until they specify otherwise.

SKR claims to give people what they ask for, but gives them albatrosses instead. I give them what they ask for, and leave it to them to determine whether or not they unintentionally asked for an albatross. I don't recall the OP asking about playing a superhero in a child suit.