PDA

View Full Version : More on Muckdwellers

KevlarTheD
2013-07-17, 12:21 PM
Hello all,
I’m making a muckdweller. I’ve just discovered them, and they’re easily my new favorite race. I think you’re hard-pressed to find something better for wizards (big dex bonus, natural armor, no int penalty, no level adjustment), but as my current party is already full of spellcasters (a warlock, a sorcerer, and a cleric) I decided to go in a different direction.

I’m a tiny thrower who throws tiny daggers (d2 dmg yeah!). I’m small enough that my allies can throw me, and then I’ll throw things while in the air and everything will be flying everywhere. I’m looking for advice on my build and how to optimize it. The idea is to end up a Master Thrower by level 6 or 7.

Scamper around. Hide. Throw a little knife or three. Run somewhere else. Throw more things. Piss people off by being a super-evasive 40cm tall lizard person!

For starters, my stats are
STR 6 (-2)
DEX 22 (+6)
CON 12 (+1)
WIS 9 (-1)
INT 17 (+3)
CHA 8 (-1)
I have the idea to start as a rogue, and get a ridiculous amount of skill points from the start. That would also give me access to the open lock skill and one level later evasion.
From there the plan was to dip into Barbarian. Originally I had thought Fighter for the bonus feats, letting me take Dead Eye at level 4 instead of level 6, but the tradeoff is losing Uncanny Dodge (later improved uncanny dodge) and +10 movement speed which makes up for my 20ft move as a Tiny creature. Rage can potentially help me overcome my tiny strength score in a pinch.
I was also looking to dip into Swashbuckler for 3 levels before I hit Master Thrower. The Int boost to damage at L3 is the main reason, but the free weapon finesse feat is good too I suppose. Is it worth it to take three levels in a class for a +3 or +4 dmg bonus? Or should I concentrate on Sneak Attack with the rogue?
Finally, Thief-Acrobat sounds great for this type of character, especially the first two levels of it. I will probably try to fit these in between levels 3 and 5 of Throwing Master.

A sample progression:
1. Rog - SA1D6, trapfinding, point blank shot
2. Bar - rage, fast movement
3. Swa - weapon finesse, weapon focus (dagger)
4. Bar - uncanny dodge
5. Swa - grace +1
6. Swa - insightful strike, dead eye
7+. Master Thrower and Thief-Acrobat, more rogue levels. This will, by level 19, net me improved evasion, improved uncanny dodge (plus some TA abilities which let me retain my dex to AC if sitting or prone), some more sneak attack dice, ridiculous mobility, quick draw, and of course the throwing tricks.

What do you think? Tear it apart or let me know what I can tweak to optimize it please!

DementedFellow
2013-07-17, 12:47 PM
You get weapon finesse for being a muckdweller. It's a racial bonus feat.

KevlarTheD
2013-07-17, 02:01 PM
Why this just gets better and better,

Now I'm thinking that swashbuckler is an unnecessary dip and I'd be better off taking pure rogue/barb into thief-acrobat/throwing master. Maybe mix in that level of fighter, too? In which case, swap my Int and Str stats so both are 10-11 (no bonus), further increasing my damage output (currently at -2 for str).

sample progression:
begin with: improved initiative, weapon finesse
1. Rog - SA1D6, trapfinding, point blank shot
3. Ftr - weapon focus (dagger), dead eye
4. Bar - uncanny dodge
5. Thief-Acrobat - kip up, steady stance, fast acrobatics
6. Thief-Acrobat - agile fighting, slow fall 20ft, rapid shot
7. Ftr - two weapon fighting
8+ Master Thrower

Fouredged Sword
2013-07-17, 02:06 PM
Why not have both sneak attack AND swashuckler.

The daring outlaw feat makes your levels of rogue and swashbuckler stack for determining sneak attack!

KevlarTheD
2013-07-17, 03:05 PM
Oh, the choices! I don't want to go in too many directions at once with this character, but that does sound appealing. My Hide skill can be +20 by level three, so sneak attack is definitely a good option. However, Daring Outlaw would eat up another of my feats which, without the fighter levels, I would be in sore need of.

race: improved initiative, weapon finesse
1. Rog - 1d6
3. Swa - weapon finesse (again), weapon focus (dagger)
4. Swa - grace +1
5. Swa - insightful strike
6. Rog - evasion, dead eye
7. Rog - 2d6 sneak, daring outlaw
8. Throwing Master

Now that I know I won't be actively taking the Weapon Finesse feat, the first two levels of Swashbuckler don't seem good enough to warrant ramping to Insightful Strike (even with the extra d6 to sneak attack if I took that feat).

Thanks for your help and advice please keep it coming!

DementedFellow
2013-07-17, 11:45 PM
I'm sure it won't matter to your build since there is a space open for the L1 feat, but you don't get Improved Initiative as a racial bonus feat, just Weapon Finesse. I'll chalk this up to an editing thing, but I just would feel wrong if I left that door open.

KevlarTheD
2013-07-18, 12:26 PM
Ah I had it backwards: you get finesse but no initiative. I thought you got initiative but no finesse.

I've pretty much decided to go like this:

1 Rog 1 - sneak 1d6, trapfinding, point blank shot
2 Bar 1 - fast move, rage
3 Ftr 1 - weapon focus, dead eye
4 Bar 2 - uncanny dodge
5 Rog 2 - evasion
6 Ftr 2 - TWF, rapid shot
7 Master Thrower 1
8 Thief Acrobat 1
9+ Master Thrower 2-5, Thief Acrobat 2, Rogue to at least 4

I hit level 3 during our game session last night