PDA

View Full Version : Setting sun Throw maneuvers question

pilvento
2013-07-17, 03:33 PM
Simple question here, i know you got the answer.

Mighty Throw: "Resolve as a trip (...) you can use your DEX or STR"

Devastating, Comet, Ballista Throw: "Functions like mighty throw exept as noted here (...) you can make a trip attempt against your enemy. you gain +4 bonus on the ability check"

Soaring Throw: "Resolve as a trip (...) you can use your DEX or STR"

Whats the deal with Devastating, Comet and Ballista Throw, can i use my dex mod for the check? why state "functions like" if it explains it all over again except for the "you can use your DEX or STR" ?

And also, if i make a DEX focused trip swordsage, can i get imp trip to get a +4 bonus? or is it also exclusively for STR checks?

RúsëaMenci
2013-07-17, 03:41 PM
They repeat stuff to save you the trouble of going back and forth, but reference the other maneuver to give you an idea how this one's going to work.

Improved Trip is +4 on trip checks, even if they are made using Dex instead of Str.

Nettlekid
2013-07-17, 04:16 PM
As RúsëaMenci said, you can use Dex or Str on any of these maneuvers. Technically, using the most unfair reading of RAW, Improved Trip would not give you the +4 bonus when you're using Dex, since it does state "a +4 bonus on your Str check." But I don't imagine any DM would nitpick at that, because RAI it's clearly granting a +4 to trip attempts in general.

Although, if your DM does nitpick about that lack of a +4 from Improved Trip, you can RAW right back by saying that Mighty Throw grants a +4 to trip checks, and then later maneuvers like Comet Throw say "functions as Mighty Throw...you gain a +4 on the ability check" with no clause about replacing Mighty Throw's +4 bonus (in much the same way that the variant Elves in the MM remark about gaining stats either in addition to or replacing those in the PHB) so on all of those, you could get +8. It's not reasonable, but if your DM is being such a jerk as to deny you your +4 from Improved Trip, it at least makes up for that.

pilvento
2013-07-17, 05:05 PM
Thank you guys, ill show your answers to my DM.
You made my day, im gonna ballista throw all the things! :smallbiggrin: