PDA

View Full Version : e6 feat Idea

Yogibear41
2013-07-17, 09:55 PM
How would a feat that requires spellcaster level6/3rd level spells, and maybe another feat, that allowed an arcane caster to pick one first level spell and be able to cast it at will(assuming not expensive material component) with no metamagic/other abuse from feats. Just the standard spell as written.
Would definantely be limisted to divine casters so people couldn't get unlimited healing. The prerequiste feat would probably just be a feat that gave them unlimited cantrips with the same restrictions, no metamagic/other feat abuse.

Would this be OP in an e6 world?

BowStreetRunner
2013-07-17, 10:14 PM
Isn't this basically the Innate Spell feat?

Flickerdart
2013-07-17, 10:15 PM
Would definantely be limisted to divine casters so people couldn't get unlimited healing.
Charnel Touch + Tomb-Tainted Soul says what?

juicycaboose
2013-07-17, 10:48 PM
Isn't this basically the Innate Spell feat?

Except Innate Spell requires sacrificing a 9th level spell slot for an at-will 1st level spell

Yogibear41
2013-07-17, 11:36 PM
More or less, but I always found the cost for that feat to be absurdly high.

Granted summon monster 1 could potentially be abused, but I don't see alot of other things that would just be horrible. I could limit it to evocation spells so they are basically just "blasty" type effects.

Flickerdart
2013-07-17, 11:43 PM
The system overvalues at-will spells because it thinks that spells per day are a relevant and useful limit on spellcaster power

BowStreetRunner
2013-07-18, 06:49 AM
I'm really conflicted about this idea because on the one hand, it is attempting to duplicate an existing feat but at a much lower cost. On the other hand, the invocations of the Warlock and Dragonfire Adept do pretty much the same thing without the absurdly high cost.

I think the existence of invocations proves this can be a balanced ability, but the list of invocations is small compared with the list of available spells to choose from. When you open up to the full spell list you take a far greater risk of something abusive slipping through.

Jeff the Green
2013-07-18, 06:55 AM
I think the existence of invocations proves this can be a balanced ability, but the list of invocations is small compared with the list of available spells to choose from. When you open up to the full spell list you take a far greater risk of something abusive slipping through.

Of particular note would be guidance of the avatar or divine inspiration. +11/+20 to every skill check you have time to buff for is nothing to sneeze at.

Zombimode
2013-07-18, 07:44 AM
How would a feat that requires spellcaster level6/3rd level spells, and maybe another feat, that allowed an arcane caster to pick one first level spell and be able to cast it at will(assuming not expensive material component) with no metamagic/other abuse from feats. Just the standard spell as written.
Would definantely be limisted to divine casters so people couldn't get unlimited healing. The prerequiste feat would probably just be a feat that gave them unlimited cantrips with the same restrictions, no metamagic/other feat abuse.

Would this be OP in an e6 world?

Why not just pick a Reserve feat?

Yogibear41
2013-07-18, 10:05 AM
what book is guidance of the avatar in? dnd tools says divine inspiration is just a +3 to hit for 1d4 rounds with a 1d2 strength sacrifice cost.

Reserve feat would fit the bill to an extent, but then at the same time once you had used all your other spells you would be no longer to use it.

Jeff the Green
2013-07-18, 10:35 AM
Guidance of the avatar is online (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a). And I meant divine insight, which is in Complete Adventurer.