PDA

View Full Version : dragonwrought kobold dfa

geonova
2013-07-17, 11:03 PM
i'm playing a six to seventh level campaign right now, and i was thinking of switching my changeling rogue to a dragonwrought kobold dragonfire adept.

how should i optimize this, my current setup is
dragonwrought kobold (copper scales)
dragonwrought as my first feat (obviously)
i was thinking of getting dragon wings at 3rd and improved dragon wings at 6th

so, help please

One Step Two
2013-07-17, 11:06 PM
Dragonfire Adepts get access to an all-day flight invocation at level 6 if you want to commit your feats to other things.

geonova
2013-07-17, 11:13 PM
Dragonfire Adepts get access to an all-day flight invocation at level 6 if you want to commit your feats to other things.

maybe, i'd still get dragon wings for reducing fall damage though

One Step Two
2013-07-17, 11:25 PM
One more thing that comes to mind is Meta-Breath Feats. Usually many people agree that the meta-breath feats don't work on the Dragonfire Adept, but if your GM is willing to allow you to use them, they can add some nice versatility to your character. Things like Lingering breathe, and entangling breath especially.

Also, remember to grab the Endure Exposure Least invocation, so you can use your breath weapon without feat of injuring allies.

Verditude
2013-07-18, 12:23 AM
maybe, i'd still get dragon wings for reducing fall damage though

A ring of feather falling is only 2200 gp and does that job better. Save your feats.

JaronK
2013-07-18, 12:24 AM
Technically by RAW a Dragonwrought Kobold qualifies for IDW without Dragon Wings, because dragons auto qualify for any feat that requires Dragonblood as a prerequisite (as written, they ignore all the other prerequisites). This would make the feat worthwhile.

JaronK

Galvin
2013-07-18, 06:04 AM
Take as many of the Dragon Heritage feats as you like. With the dragonwrought thing age yourself to venerable for the +3 to all mental stats, it's worth it. Since you'll be starting at 6th level you can already get access to the adept's flight incantation. That way you can save your feats. Feats are the most precious thing in D&D. If you are getting a feat that you can get an item or spell to do, you are wasting a feat slot.

Devronq
2013-07-18, 11:40 AM
Technically by RAW a Dragonwrought Kobold qualifies for IDW without Dragon Wings, because dragons auto qualify for any feat that requires Dragonblood as a prerequisite (as written, they ignore all the other prerequisites). This would make the feat worthwhile.

JaronK

This interests me... what is IDW and where does it say that they qualify without prerequisites?

stack
2013-07-18, 11:42 AM
Entangling exhalation is a must for any dfa.

Fates
2013-07-18, 11:45 AM
This interests me... what is IDW and where does it say that they qualify without prerequisites?

Short for Improved Dragon Wings. :smalltongue:

JaronK
2013-07-18, 01:49 PM

Improved Dragon Wings. And that rule is IIRC in the same book (Races of the Dragon) where it talks about the Dragonblood Subtype. It's a general case rule (dragons auto qualify for anything that requires the Dragonblood subtype), not a rule for just that feat. That feat is one of very few places where it matters at all though.

JaronK

Chronos
2013-07-18, 03:41 PM
Quoth One Step Two:

One more thing that comes to mind is Meta-Breath Feats. Usually many people agree that the meta-breath feats don't work on the Dragonfire Adept, but if your GM is willing to allow you to use them, they can add some nice versatility to your character. Things like Lingering breathe, and entangling breath especially.
Entangling Exhalation isn't actually a metabreath feat, and DFAs certainly qualify for it. And a DFA does not, by default, qualify for metabreath feats, since they have a prerequisite of a breath weapon with a cooldown measured in rounds, which DFAs lack. The point of contention is whether you can get a breath weapon with a cooldown from some other source, take metabreath feats, and then use them with your DFA breath.