PDA

View Full Version : Saga - Squad Combat

Wrenn
2013-07-18, 12:32 AM
Squad Combat
We're gearing up for a military campaign and the idea is that the party is a squad in a larger platoon. I'll be using all the nifty rank and privalage rules from GaW. I wanted a way to represent the other squads in the platoon in way that engaged the players without taking center stage. This is what I came up with-

Condition. Modifier
Average Heroic Level. 1/2
Average NH Level. 1/4
Number in Group. 1/2
Cannon/E-Web emplacement +2
Officer. +2
Reinforcements Available +5
Armored Support. +5
Air Support. +5
Orbital Support. +10

Type of Unit/Stronghold. Successes needed to Defeat
Squad. 3
Bunker. 5
Fortified Building. 6
Command Base. 8

So the idea is that this will work as a sort of opposed skill challenge. I'm thinking that normally the GM will have all the modifiers figured before hand so he can tell the group to roll d20+x and he does the same for the opponents.
Example-
A squad of republic troopers is tasked with taking out an enemy e-web crew set up in a pillbox. The republic troops are level 4 non heroics in a squad of 6. They don't have access to reinforcements or air support, but there is a group of armored mortars in the area. That totals to a modifier of +9.
The Sith are a group of 3 level 2 soldiers. They have no armor, reinforcements, or air support. That totals +4.
Opposed rolls are made. The squad has a threshold of 3 and the bunker of 5. If the squad gets 5 successes before the bunker gets 3 then the soldiers successfully take the bunker.

What do you think? The tables can be changed around however. I think this will work for the style we will be playing. Each of the players will have two characters, one in the ground squad and one in the fighter/bomber squadron. So if I give them a mission where the ground squad has to go in and remove some AA guns to allow the fighters an avenue to bomb a target then I can allow the players to roll for the success of the other squads in the platoon who were sent to destroy their own targets. The results determining how many AA guns are in the area when their other characters make their bombing run.

Any suggestions, additions, critiques welcome.

Wrenn
2013-07-24, 01:29 PM
Well I used this for the first time last night...it needs some adjustments. The allied squads ended up with a bonus of +5 and a threshold of 3, the enemies a +6 with a threshold of 5. It may have just come down to the fact that my rolls were great (I don't think a single one was below 10) but none of their allied squads succeeded.

I'm going to see what I can do for degrees of success. I don't like any/all failures resulting in a total squad kill.

So, they ended up with a lot of AA fire (laser canon turrets) when they made their bombing run.