PDA

View Full Version : tibbit familiars

geonova
2013-07-18, 05:05 AM
i was reading about fun things to do with tibbits, and i started to wonder if a tibbit could be a familiar (as it has a cat form)

Galvin
2013-07-18, 05:32 AM
There is no listed way to get one as your familiar, though you could negotiate with your DM to get one with the Improved Familiar feat, even though they are not on the list as improved familiars.

GreenSerpent
2013-07-18, 06:28 AM
You could always have a Tibbit cohort with Leadership who likes to sit on your shoulder in kitty form. Then when you're attacked they pounce and change shape, throwing another combatant into the mix!

KillianHawkeye
2013-07-18, 04:27 PM
If we are going to go this route, then I'd prefer to get a werebear as an animal companion.

Galvin
2013-07-18, 05:22 PM
If we are going to go this route, then I'd prefer to get a werebear as an animal companion.

Werebears aren't animals, they're humanoid shapechangers. :smallamused:

karkus
2013-07-18, 05:39 PM
As an Improved Familiar, they would not be allowed class levels; just racial Hit Dice based off of your own.

danzibr
2013-07-18, 05:40 PM
I think that's the point (or maybe my sarcasm detector is off).

Darth Stabber
2013-07-18, 05:45 PM
As monstrous humanoids I don't think they are the best fit (and there is no way I know of to get any variety of humanoid, monsterous humanoid, or giant as a familiar). I keep having to tell a player that her pixie beguiler can't get a pixie as a familiar, but she keeps asking (and she already has a non-familiar pet pseudo-dragon).

KillianHawkeye
2013-07-18, 05:50 PM

It's okay, they have an animal form, so by the OP's logic a werebear would make a totally valid animal companion.

Urpriest
2013-07-18, 07:44 PM
As monstrous humanoids I don't think they are the best fit (and there is no way I know of to get any variety of humanoid, monsterous humanoid, or giant as a familiar). I keep having to tell a player that her pixie beguiler can't get a pixie as a familiar, but she keeps asking (and she already has a non-familiar pet pseudo-dragon).

Muckdwellers are Monstrous Humanoids and can be acquired as Familiars. You can also of course have a Beguiler Beguiler whose Familiar is a Beguiler, though RAW it would have to be a cohort.

sreservoir
2013-07-18, 09:04 PM
Muckdwellers are Monstrous Humanoids and can be acquired as Familiars. You can also of course have a Beguiler Beguiler whose Familiar is a Beguiler, though RAW it would have to be a cohort.

RAW doesn't require it to be cohort, because the (cohort) tag has seemingly no defined meaning by RAW. in this instance, I think we can infer RAI, of course, but trusting the intentions of wotc writers is as much a winning game as gambling with thermodynamics.