PDA

View Full Version : [Gift] (rookie) I can grant you gifts and I can take them away

knightsaline
2006-12-10, 08:21 PM
This god is inspired by Xom of chaos from the rogue-like game dungeon crawl. This is my first entry into a design contest.

Zov, god of chaos
Alignment: chaotic neutral
Zov seems to be unknown, those that worship him seem to have a message projected into their heads that they are his playthings. Zov seems to have the ability to make his playthings more powerful at random times, or debuff his believers as he likes
Zov has no domains to speak of, yet his clerics (and, if using UA variants, paladins) seem to have a special ability known as "the gift". The gift is random as the god they believe in. When a character with Zov as their diety enters a dungeon, they are subject to the gift. Whenever the GM likes,he or she may flip a D2 to see if the gift becomes a blessing or a curse. The GM decides on the actual blessing or curse, but some examples follow.
Blessings: cure random amount of HP, haste, temporarily increasing the power of a magic weapon, buffing spells being cast at a random caster level, jump spells, expedious retreat
Curses: immobilization, slowing, hurting the recipient, debuffing the recipient, depowering magic items temporarily, being the recipient of disjunction.
If the GM wants, Zovite clerics may have the change domain, as detailed below.
Zovs favored weapon changes everyday. Clerics of Zov are assumed to be under a masters touch spell each day, being automatically proficient in the first weapon they touch (including stones).
Zovs symbol is a vial of mercury, to show the everchanging state of Zov

Backstory: Chaos, the primordial state of life. All beings are born from chaos, lead lives that are chaotic and then return to chaos, to possibly live another chaotic life. Zov embodies this chaos, randomly giving those that show him that they lead lives according to his sayings (mostly things like chicken sad green swords). Zovs sayings seem to be open to interpretation, as Zov rarely says anything resembling true sentences.

Quests: Quests done in Zovs name tend to be random, but dungeon crawling seems to be the best way for Zovites to gain his favor

Places of worship: Zov is generally not venerated indoors and hates people praying to him. It is said that he appears when you least expect it. He hates the sound of prayer beads, but is attracted to the sound of swords clashing on monsters bodies. He is generally worshipped as a god that soldiers pray to before a battle.

The Gift: The Gift is Zovs gift to his believers. Since Zov is a god of Chaos, his "gifts" tend to be chaotic in nature. It is not unusual for Zovites to be randomly hasted or raged, just because Zov felt like it. To repeat what was said above, the GM flips a D2 to see if Zov blesses or curses his believer. This is done whenever the GM feels like it. Better and better blessings (and curses) become available to higher level Zovites.

New domain: change
The domain of change differs from the usual idea of domains, in that it changes everyday. When the cleric prays for spells from his god, he may choose a domain that he thinks will serve him well that day. Spell restrictions still apply (ie, CG cleric with the change domain cannot cast spells that have the [evil] descriptor). the cleric does not gain the ability to copy the special ability of the domain they choose for that day (example, clerry the cleric of Zov chooses to use the healing domain for today. he gains the spells, but not the ability to cast healing spells at +1 caster level)

Mike_Lemmer
2006-12-10, 08:45 PM
I'll review it once you put in proper capitalization and clean up the formatting.

Mauril Everleaf
2006-12-11, 02:45 PM
i have a similar domain for one of my deities. but its rolled on a d20+d8 (i have 27 domains for my deities). this changes it from Domain:All to Domain:Any, which is fundamantally different.

Mewtarthio
2006-12-11, 07:28 PM
So they can pick any Domain they feel like each time they renew their spells?

Mike_Lemmer
2006-12-11, 07:37 PM
Well, it could be balanced if Change was the only domain they got. They'd trade in two fixed domains for just one flexible one.

knightsaline
2006-12-12, 01:27 AM
change is the only domain they get. The DM rules out certain domains if they wish. as I said before, alignment restrictions still apply when choosing domains. also, if the DM wishes to really screw around with the player, the DM chooses the domain for them.

any other questions?

LordOfNarf
2006-12-12, 07:02 PM
I would specify that the clerics do not get the specified power of the domain they choose each day, just the spell list, if that was your intent. The ability if that kind of flexability is pretty powerful ,and the clerics don't nesssesarliy need the granted power of the domain.

Mauril Everleaf
2006-12-14, 11:14 AM
agreed. clerics are pretty uber anyway, and being able to choose whatever powers you wanted would make them kinda broken.

knightsaline
2006-12-14, 08:36 PM
I would specify that the clerics do not get the specified power of the domain they choose each day, just the spell list, if that was your intent. The ability if that kind of flexability is pretty powerful ,and the clerics don't nesssesarliy need the granted power of the domain.

Fixed. I forgot about that. the granted power is the ability to change the domain you get everyday.