PDA

View Full Version : Elan and Question about Aging

Noobborn
2013-07-18, 09:44 AM
So the Elan according to fluff are Immortal they do not age to death like normal races.

Does this mean they can become Venerable without the penalties but gain the benefits? Also what is the age for a Venerable Elan, their ages are immortal so.. how does one determine this.

I apologize for my numerous questions I just saw this race and went 'Wait a sec'

Humble Master
2013-07-18, 09:54 AM
I think that the Elan would just not age. You would never become Venerable and thus never get the benefits or the penalties.

Terazul
2013-07-18, 09:56 AM
They still accrue aging penalties just like every other race. They just have no maximum age (note, they still have age categories however), and thus simply won't die from old age.

Noobborn
2013-07-18, 10:09 AM
So if they still have age Categories then what are they? From the XPH I cannot see it listed, are they like the elves?

LTwerewolf
2013-07-18, 10:16 AM
Page 16. venerable is 1000, old is 400, middle aged is 200. It says they have a maximum age in the book, however this was errata'd.

Karnith
2013-07-18, 11:04 AM
Page 16. venerable is 1000, old is 400, middle aged is 200. It says they have a maximum age in the book, however this was errata'd.
You can also find the current version of Elan age categories here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#ageHeightAndWeight).

Noobborn
2013-07-18, 11:25 AM
So they do in fact age right? Just takes a long time?
Do they age as humans do, I mean appearance wise? Because if they do not get all wrinkly and fragile I cannot see a reason why to have the penalties in the game

Pickford
2013-07-18, 11:29 AM
So they do in fact age right? Just takes a long time?
Do they age as humans do, I mean appearance wise? Because if they do not get all wrinkly and fragile I cannot see a reason why to have the penalties in the game

This seems probable. Are you familiar with the Greek (?) myth about the man who was loved by a god who granted him eternal life? The curse was that he wasn't granted eternal youth, and thus aged into a cricket.

It does make the various classes that have timeless body somewhat more appealing however (as your 'time' is never up).

Hrimhari
2013-07-18, 03:31 PM
I don't think that applies to the Elan race as they are said to be Immortal as in not aging, not having eternal life but not eternal youth.

I do believe in their fluff it mentions then having to move around to avoid people noticing their Elan nature if they do not straight up disclose what they are to the town, as it makes people suspicious of them.

For myself I always saw the Aging rules as a guideline and less straight up rules. After all if my 29 year old Fighter is in peak shape, does he suddenly lose that muscle and strength just because he hits 30?

Look at Vin Diesel (48 today) How many 20 year olds can actually say they are in anywhere near as good shape as him? How many of us on here could take him in a fight, a fair fight I might add (You sneaky rogues). So aging always seemed a little iffy.

RFLS
2013-07-18, 03:34 PM
I don't think that applies to the Elan race as they are said to be Immortal as in not aging, not having eternal life but not eternal youth.

I do believe in their fluff it mentions then having to move around to avoid people noticing their Elan nature if they do not straight up disclose what they are to the town, as it makes people suspicious of them.

For myself I always saw the Aging rules as a guideline and less straight up rules. After all if my 29 year old Fighter is in peak shape, does he suddenly lose that muscle and strength just because he hits 30?

Look at Vin Diesel (48 today) How many 20 year olds can actually say they are in anywhere near as good shape as him? How many of us on here could take him in a fight, a fair fight I might add (You sneaky rogues). So aging always seemed a little iffy.

Relevant to each other. They age. They just don't die. Explicitly so.

Hrimhari
2013-07-18, 03:44 PM
It states in their XPH entry that they have UNLIMITED LIFESPAN now yes this could mean they Age in the effect of getting older.

My post was a mix of wanting to know if we have in fact a straight answer on that 'When an Elan is 1000 years old, do they look and behave as a human of 80 years or do they still look and have the bodies of their 25 year old self that they had originally.

And of course my second point was aging charts are rather odd in that for example has 30 as middle age (I know its 35) and your character is 29 and on the eve of his birthday and in top health and strength and just 24 hours he has to drop -1 from Str, Dex, and Con. So you might have been able to carry that weight comfortably just minutes before but suddenly it becomes heavier because you hit a time mark and suddenly have to lose points.

RFLS
2013-07-18, 03:53 PM
It states in their XPH entry that they have UNLIMITED LIFESPAN now yes this could mean they Age in the effect of getting older.

My post was a mix of wanting to know if we have in fact a straight answer on that 'When an Elan is 1000 years old, do they look and behave as a human of 80 years or do they still look and have the bodies of their 25 year old self that they had originally.

And of course my second point was aging charts are rather odd in that for example has 30 as middle age (I know its 35) and your character is 29 and on the eve of his birthday and in top health and strength and just 24 hours he has to drop -1 from Str, Dex, and Con. So you might have been able to carry that weight comfortably just minutes before but suddenly it becomes heavier because you hit a time mark and suddenly have to lose points.

...the real world doesn't enter into it. This isn't a catgirl murdering contest. The rules state that they age at 200, 400, and 1000 years. Therefore, that's when they age. That's about as straight an answer as you can get, especially with the descriptions of the age categories provided in the rules.

Sidenote: Is it still catgirl-murder if it's a case of applying real world logic to a situation, or is it only for physics? :smalltongue:

TuggyNE
2013-07-18, 06:20 PM
Sidenote: Is it still catgirl-murder if it's a case of applying real world logic to a situation, or is it only for physics? :smalltongue:

Catgirls are vulnerable to all artifacts of cold-hearted reason.

Pickford
2013-07-18, 11:04 PM

It doesn't say that, it says this:

Elans have effectively unlimited life spans. As long as they are not destroyed, their mental arts could conceivably continually energize and rebuild their bodies for a thousand years or more.

Nothing about eternal youth.