PDA

View Full Version : Postponement of Awesomeness

Karoht
2013-07-18, 10:14 AM
So due to recent flooding here in Calgary, our wedding venue is not going to be available for our wedding.
And due to the late (ish) notice, other venues are booked up due to the flood of people now trying to rebook their events elsewhere.

So we've decided to postpone our wedding until next year. We are still going to go with the Calgary Zoo, but if the Telus Spark Science Center will take us (they claim they don't do weddings for some reason) we are going to go ahead with that.

This news came to us, literally, the day before we mailed off the invitations and opened the corrisponding event page on facebook.

So now we have an extra 6-12 months to work on everything, depending on when we decided to have the ceremony. The wedding is Steampunk with an emphasis on the theme of adventure. We are now trying to come up with some additional things to add on to the theme.

Our tables are all themed individually, with the wedding favors following each table theme. Alchemy Lab, Fossils, Arctic, Egypt, Mechanical Shop, Market Place/Bazaar, Atlantis, Jungle, Boiler Room. I think there is one more. And our head table still needs something.

Also, the ceremony. We're treating this as two captains, two crews, two families, now running one ship together. We both have lanterns which we are going to take light from each and have one big lantern.
We kind of want a few more elements like that for the ceremony. We just can't think of anything else to really add to it. But we have lots of time to think on that.

We were talking about maybe christening a ship together, but that involves smashing a bottle of champagne, and it is supposed to be against the side of a ship. Toy ships won't take that kind of impact. Maybe if we christen the final hull plate to be added to the ship, with the ship's name painted on it? Hmmm. Logistics of such a thing.

We were going to involve some remote controlled zepplins, but the Zoo said no. Maybe I can guilt trip them into allowing it now.

Ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments?

Talanic
2013-07-18, 10:43 AM
I understand why you have to postpone the wedding reception, but the wedding itself could go ahead if you and your fiance are amenable to a smaller ceremony. My wife and I are far too poor to afford the party we'd like, but had gotten sick of being engaged, so we had a small service on the five year anniversary of the day we met. Our grand plans for a storybook wedding are going to wait for a vow renewal at the five or ten year mark.

Karoht
2013-07-18, 11:06 AM
I understand why you have to postpone the wedding reception, but the wedding itself could go ahead if you and your fiance are amenable to a smaller ceremony. My wife and I are far too poor to afford the party we'd like, but had gotten sick of being engaged, so we had a small service on the five year anniversary of the day we met. Our grand plans for a storybook wedding are going to wait for a vow renewal at the five or ten year mark.
That has been everyone's suggestion.

If we're doing it at all, we're doing it right. We've been together for 9 years, if we postpone to september we'll be holding the wedding on our 10th anniversary. It isn't a big rush to get married or anything, we've been taking our time to do this right for the last few years saving up. We have no desire to go before a Justice of the Peace at the courthouse and just get married for the sake of getting married.
And budget isn't an issue here. If anything it will cost me MORE money to hold it elsewhere. I have the money to hold it elsewhere, but elsewhere just isn't as good.
The whole wedding is coming in under budget at about 8K. That's counting the honeymoon money. We save a LOT by going to the Zoo, the size of the service is largely irrelevant when most caterers want a minimum of 60-80 seats or make you pay extra. And the a la carte menues aren't worth what you pay for them.

So yeah, taking the extra time to make the wedding extra awesome. Need suggestions there.

Talanic
2013-07-19, 10:32 PM
My wife's only suggestion so far is to create wedding invitations which lead to meal choices in a choose-your-own-adventure style. Could be fun.

Traab
2013-07-20, 11:31 AM
With the christening idea, put an edge on the plate that doesnt stand out too visibly so the bottle is far easier to shatter with less force. Also, I think its possible to buy those easy shatter bottles. The ones they use in movie bar fights so noone gets nailed by sharp glass. Search through things like stage props and such to find a supplier. You have a year after all.

Karoht
2013-07-22, 11:03 AM
With the christening idea, put an edge on the plate that doesnt stand out too visibly so the bottle is far easier to shatter with less force. Also, I think its possible to buy those easy shatter bottles. The ones they use in movie bar fights so noone gets nailed by sharp glass. Search through things like stage props and such to find a supplier. You have a year after all.
I know a movie props guy. We can make this work.
It's more a matter of getting the Zoo to go with it really.

What do we name/designate the ship?
I was thinking 'the Bronwell, as it's a hybridization of our two last names. We are keeping our last names. We might change our last names to Bronwell in future.
It just needs designation at that point? I was thinking a merchant class vessel (air ship, obviously) rather than military.
HMS Bronwell?
*one google seach later...*
SY Bronwell. SY = Steam Yacht.

Our invitations are Postcards which we made ourselves. They show us standing before our airship (hand drawn, sepia scale on an aged paper for that vintage look), so maybe some posters for the Bronwell Transport and Travel Agency might be in order.
(which is totally a front for our smuggling operations)

Instead of a guestbook, we are having the image from our invitation blown up and put on canvas, we'll have everyone sign that instead.

Hmmm.