PDA

View Full Version : Detect Magic (PF) Question

joca4christ
2013-07-18, 11:27 AM
So I'm a fairly novice GM, and I've got even newer players. One of them is a bard who is constantly casting detect magic. How should this work on magical beasts? Would it reveal if something was hiding while having magic items?

Just wondering.

Urpriest
2013-07-18, 11:33 AM
Magical Beasts aren't always magical. They may have magical abilities, and if they've cast those then Detect Magic can see them just like other active spells.

In terms of hiding, it depends what they're hiding behind. Regardless, the bard has to concentrate to see more than the presence or absence of magic auras, which at mid to high levels are always going to be around just due to the fact that all the bard's friends have magic items. Pinpointing the auras takes more time, as specified in the spell description.

Arc_knight25
2013-07-18, 01:48 PM
Ya, my DM has the same problem. I'm a Magus and we also have a sorc in the party and we both Detect Magic all the time. To the point that all we have to say now is "Whoan, Whoan, Whoan"(Some echo location sound)

Don't forget, you are the one that choses how Magical Aura's work. Bend/Make up rules as you see fit. If players give you a hard time, coat all the items in a good inch of lead just to be sure.

Diarmuid
2013-07-18, 03:27 PM
Also make sure that you're properly enforcing the concentration rules for maintaining spells and that NPC's are appropriately reacting to spellcasting if they notice it happening.