PDA

View Full Version : [Item] Snicker-Snack!

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-12-10, 11:39 PM
I can't ever figure out how to price these things, so aid in that reguard would be most helpful :smallwink:

-=-=-=-=-=-

Gibbet's Collar

This appears thick collar of jet black crystal with veins of some red material running all through it. While worn it provides a +1 enhancement bonus to AC. However, its main function is its ability to preserve the head, and subsequently mind, of the wearer upon death. When slain the collar immediately severs the head from the body and sends a surge of psionic energy to jumpstart the brain. You are considered to be stable at 0 hit points though helpless and incapable of any action though you can see and speak normally. You do not regain hit points while in this condition. The collar does not function when there is no head left to revive, such as from a Disentegrate spell. If you are reduced to -10 hit points while your head is severed you die as normal. The collar is fused with the head, and cannot be removed until the head is destroyed.

While severed you do not suffer from hunger, thirst or lack of oxygen, all of which is provided by the collar. As well you are considered as being a creature two sizes smaller than originally with a subsequent boost to your AC.

If the remains are still mainly intact the head can be reattached within 1 day of its seperation. If the head is pressed back against the body the collar allows the use of healing spells and effects. If the body is brought back to full hit points the head automatically reattaches. For longer periods of seperation more drastics measures must be used, such as Restore Extremity, Psionic Revivify, Bend Reality, Reality Revision, Miracle, and Wish.

Moderate Psychometabolism; ML 10th; Psionic Revivify, Sustenance, Thicken Skin; Craft Psionic Arms and Armor; Price gp; Weight 4 lbs.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-12-10, 11:50 PM
Helpless and incapable of any action, or of physical ones?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-12-11, 12:37 AM
Helpless and incapable of any action, or of physical ones?
Any, as otherwise you could die, head rolls away, and you keep blasting your enemy with psionics while they think you are dead.

TheOOB
2006-12-11, 12:45 AM
You can't provide an enhancement bonus to AC, a piece that grants and armor or shield bonus can have an enhancement bonus, and the item can give a enhancement bonus to your natural armor, but it can't just give an enhancement bonus (though an untyped bonus is possible).

The item should expliciatly mention that you cannot use magic or psionics, just to prevent any confusion. Also the item should make mention as to what spell or power will grow a new body or reattach your head on the old.

As for the price, its essentially a contignant yet limited raise dead, so that should give a good starting point. I'm too tired to make any exact calculations, but around 30,000gp seems reasonable, assuming the item is consumable and can only be used once.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-12-11, 12:57 AM
You can't provide an enhancement bonus to AC, a piece that grants and armor or shield bonus can have an enhancement bonus, and the item can give a enhancement bonus to your natural armor, but it can't just give an enhancement bonus (though an untyped bonus is possible).
Even if it is generating the equivalent of the Thicken Skin (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/psionicPowersQtoW.html#thicken-skin) power which provides a +1 enhancement bonus to AC?

The item should expliciatly mention that you cannot use magic or psionics, just to prevent any confusion.
I specifically said 'NO actions'. To use magic or psionics takes an action. I cannot be any more blunt.

As for the price, its essentially a contignant yet limited raise dead, so that should give a good starting point. I'm too tired to make any exact calculations, but around 30,000gp seems reasonable, assuming the item is consumable and can only be used once.
No, its not just a one time. It works each time you die (assuming you have a body).

Mewtarthio
2006-12-11, 01:03 AM
What, exactly, can you do after your demise? Roll around on the floor talking to people? In other words, how do you get back to your regular, non-decorporated self?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-12-11, 01:06 AM
What, exactly, can you do after your demise? Roll around on the floor talking to people? In other words, how do you get back to your regular, non-decorporated self?
Just elaborated on that in the text.

Basically you can talk and look around. But, at least you are alive.

Balesirion
2006-12-11, 01:35 AM
Very nice idea. I could see this being very usefull against githyanki, with all those vorpal silver swords.

The_Cowinator
2006-12-11, 01:35 AM
How would this item work if you were an ettin or another creature with multiple heads? I don't believe they die when one head goes (e.g. hydra).

Lord Iames Osari
2006-12-11, 02:24 AM
Any, as otherwise you could die, head rolls away, and you keep blasting your enemy with psionics while they think you are dead.

That was the idea. :smallwink:

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-12-11, 08:42 AM
How would this item work if you were an ettin or another creature with multiple heads? I don't believe they die when one head goes (e.g. hydra).
No, so you could just pick the head back up and stick it on while mumbling a healing spell. This collar is only concerned with protecting the head.

That was the idea.
Well, it'd be a nightmare to figure out such thing, like, say, Metamorphosis. Can the mere head turn into a dire bear?

fangthane
2006-12-11, 03:13 PM
Presumably a regenerate spell would also work; as far as enhancement bonus to AC, a +1 is unlikely to provide any value to most. It won't stack with the identically-named armor enhancement bonus applied to, for example, a Studded Leather +1. Contrariwise, it will stack with the shield enhancement bonus on a buckler +2, and equally well with the armor bonus provided by bracers.

Clarification: if the creature had a bite attack prior to activation, does it get a chance at biting someone who tries to pick up its head? What about breath weapons? While those aren't actions it could take <ahem> actively, I'd think at least the bite would be possible under the proper conditions. Not necessarily a wise move as the head won't have a lot of success defending itself from a subsequent greataxe sundering, but still...

Suggestion: Allow re-attachment without extreme measures for up to 4 additional days, but give a 20% cumulative chance per day that necrotising fascitis sets in and re-kills the character's body within 1d4 days - this time rendering it immediately useless for reattachment other than through the extreme measures you've noted (and presumably Regenerate too) I'd also require a Purify Food/Drink be cast prior to the attempt, or the chance of Necrosis is 100% after day 1

Oh yeah, in terms of price I'd price it as follows:
given that TR is 25k in diamonds plus a big caster and a high spell level casting, 27-30k seems about right as a beginning ballpark. Given that it's also got a +1 armor enhancement which can be big for the right classes (casters, monks) who wouldn't wear armor normally, I'd jack that by at least 2-3k. Given that it can be used multiple times, regardless of any drawbacks it's superior to any raise spell in and of itself, so I'd charge 50k.

Now, for a Collar of the Demilich, I'd charge a lot more. A LOT more. (the CotD would do the same thing but allow casting of any non-somatic spells or abilities as well as allowing mobility through levitation)
Edit - never mind on the regen stuff, it's stronger than Restore Extremity so of course it'd work.

Xaspian
2006-12-13, 05:59 PM
I'm sorry. I just can't stop imagining the heads from Futurama.

mikeejimbo
2006-12-13, 07:16 PM
How about a compromise? They can't take any actions unless they can recite Jabberwocky from memory. :biggrin:

fangthane
2006-12-13, 11:26 PM
Heheh you actually got me laughing out loud at that one... kudos :)

I'd have to keep a copy handy; I can barely remember it myself except some specific bits :)

mikeejimbo
2006-12-13, 11:33 PM
Heheh you actually got me laughing out loud at that one... kudos :)

I'd have to keep a copy handy; I can barely remember it myself except some specific bits :)

I'm a fan of things that would give me innate bonuses no one else would get. At least in my group.

And considering the name of the Original Poster, I'm not surprised he'd make such an item. :smalltongue: