PDA

View Full Version : Swallow whole help

tim01300
2013-07-18, 04:38 PM
So what is allowed when you are swallowed? My friend and I are having some different thoughts of what is allowed. I view it that things are pretty limited, escape the grapple out the mouth by grapple check or escape artist, or cut your way out using a small weapon.

Can you cast spells while inside a stomach? Can you take full round actions? I feel nay

What lead to this was whether a phoenix inside a terrasque could take a full round action to immolate into a new phoenix, over and over. But while this will never happen in any of my games I feel I better sort this out now, before someone gets eaten and tried something similar.

Don't full round actions require your focus and attention? Can you do these while grappled?

If you guys can point me out pages numbers to end this debate one way or another I'd be grateful.

dascarletm
2013-07-18, 05:18 PM
From the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm)

If a creature with this special attack begins its turn with an opponent held in its mouth (see Improved Grab), it can attempt a new grapple check (as though attempting to pin the opponent). If it succeeds, it swallows its prey, and the opponent takes bite damage. Unless otherwise noted, the opponent can be up to one size category smaller than the swallowing creature. Being swallowed has various consequences, depending on the creature doing the swallowing. A swallowed creature is considered to be grappled, while the creature that did the swallowing is not. A swallowed creature can try to cut its way free with any light slashing or piercing weapon (the amount of cutting damage required to get free is noted in the creature description), or it can just try to escape the grapple. The Armor Class of the interior of a creature that swallows whole is normally 10 + ½ its natural armor bonus, with no modifiers for size or Dexterity. If the swallowed creature escapes the grapple, success puts it back in the attacker’s mouth, where it may be bitten or swallowed again.

I see two arguments. One saying that you can do anything you can do while grappled (Which you can cast spells [See: Grappling]).
Another saying that this is a specific case that only gives you two options, trying to escape grapple or cutting your way out.

Galvin
2013-07-18, 05:20 PM
As a victim of a Swallow Hole attack you are considered grappled, and the basic grapple rules say you cannot cast spells with somatic or material components while being grappled. You cannot take full round actions while grappled. However, you can strike with a light weapon when you are grappled, which is the basis for the "cut yourself out" strategy.

Namfuak
2013-07-18, 05:23 PM
The creature being swallowed is considered grappled. Per the grappling rules, a spell which takes a standard action to cast can be cast within a grapple (though see the part about components). I don't see phoenixes on the srd, are they in a monster manual or do you mean the one on the pfsrd?

karkus
2013-07-18, 05:36 PM
If you can make a Concentration check for a spell that is shorter than a Full-Round Action that also either has no Material nor Somatic components at all, or if it is Stilled and you have Eschew Materials or otherwise have the component in your hand(s), then it may be cast while in the belly of the beast (literally).

That's about the only times I can think of...

karkus
2013-07-18, 05:37 PM
The creature being swallowed is considered grappled. Per the grappling rules, a spell which takes a standard action to cast can be cast within a grapple (though see the part about components). I don't see phoenixes on the srd, are they in a monster manual or do you mean the one on the pfsrd?

I'm fairly certain that they're in MMII

tim01300
2013-07-18, 05:48 PM
Yup MMII page 168. Basically as a full round action it can explode and be reborn at full health and stats. It's not a spell but an ability so should that be allowed while swallowed? I still say no because its a full round action.

So full round actions in a grapple? And I am still unclear on casting spells inside the stomach. Even if you do, it won't get you out because it says cut you're way out with a light bladed weapon. I think I read that you can reach for spell components or items while grappled, but I didnt see anything on actually casting spells ( shouldn't there be some sort of concentration check at least?)

The Viscount
2013-07-18, 06:15 PM
As said above, you can cast a spell, but because you are considered grappled, the spell cannot be more than 1 standard action, must have no somatic component, and must have either no material components or material components you're already holding. If you're willing to spend the full round to get them, you can grab material components from your spell component pouch. The Concentration check is DC 20+spell level.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-07-18, 06:19 PM
Yup MMII page 168. Basically as a full round action it can explode and be reborn at full health and stats. It's not a spell but an ability so should that be allowed while swallowed? I still say no because its a full round action.

Nothing I read in grapple or swallow whole says you can't take full-round actions.

Namfuak
2013-07-18, 07:18 PM
Nothing I read in grapple or swallow whole says you can't take full-round actions.

The list of actions you can take while in a grapple is exhaustive, and none of them is "you can take any full round action." In fact, there are no actions which take a full round action in a grapple.

Valwyn
2013-07-18, 08:40 PM
Could you feed the dragon a rogue (or more) and have him sneak attack it to death from the inside? (Assuming he has enough buffs to survive, of course.)

Lord Vukodlak
2013-07-18, 09:10 PM
The list of actions you can take while in a grapple is exhaustive, and none of them is "you can take any full round action." In fact, there are no actions which take a full round action in a grapple. You can retrieve a spell component as a full-round action. You can still make a full attack with a light, unarmed or natural weapon.(though at a -4 penalty).

The grapple rules are truly awful so some common sense must be observed. Next your going to tell me that a creature couldn't use its breath weapon or a gaze attack because its not on the list.

The Phoenix's ability to immolate requires no gestures or movement on its part. Its not a spell you can't disrupt it, its not utilizing any one part of its body. It simply decides to blow up one round and that's the only thing it can do. Nothing in its ability hints that grappling should disrupt it.

Could you feed the dragon a rogue (or more) and have him sneak attack it to death from the inside? (Assuming he has enough buffs to survive, of course.)

I had a rogue swallowed by a Dire Shark he sneak attacked it to death from the inside... then jumped down two more sharks throats to rescue the rest of the party.