PDA

View Full Version : Question about starting powers

scoofie
2013-07-18, 07:07 PM
so my question is about how many powers you get at lvl 1. in the players handbook it says that you start with 2 at-wills, 1 encounter, and 1 daily. but then when i was making a vampire class it says they start with 3 at-wills, 1 encounter, and 1 daily. so are the 3 at-will powers listed for the vampire choices to pick from, or does the vampire just get 3 at-wills? it seems unfair to me since the number of at-will powers someone has always stays the same.

Surrealistik
2013-07-18, 07:09 PM
so my question is about how many powers you get at lvl 1. in the players handbook it says that you start with 2 at-wills, 1 encounter, and 1 daily. but then when i was making a vampire class it says they start with 3 at-wills, 1 encounter, and 1 daily. so are the 3 at-will powers listed for the vampire choices to pick from, or does the vampire just get 3 at-wills? it seems unfair to me since the number of at-will powers someone has always stays the same.

As a rule 2 at-wills, though some classes get more because they are more dependent on their at-wills (like the Vampire).

Humans have the option of taking a third at-will from their class or taking Heroic Effort (which IMO is nearly always better).

scoofie
2013-07-18, 07:28 PM

vasharanpaladin
2013-07-18, 07:57 PM
And, just to be clear, number of at-wills ultimately means nothing. You can only ever use one or two per turn, and after 7th level this is after using all of your encounter powers and/or a daily.

By the way, druids also get three at-wills. It's no big thing.

Ashdate
2013-07-18, 09:01 PM
In general with a system like 4e, specific rules trumps general rules.

Most 4e classes follow a two at-will / 1 encounter / 1 daily structure at level one, but past the first PHB you start seeing a lot of classes that deviate from that structure. Psionic classes, for example, don't tend to get encounter attack powers, while a few of the Essential classes (such as the Slayer) don't pick Daily powers.

If a class deviate from the norm, it should say in the description of the class.