PDA

View Full Version : fear based caster

Elvenoutrider
2013-07-18, 09:50 PM
Fellow playgrounders. I am designing a boss for a campaign and have run into a bit of a block. namely, I have searched the pathfinder srd and have yet to come up with a decent build for this idea. I want to build a caster who specializes in fear spells, but the best I have been able to find have been lackluster effects secondary to the player's casting ability. Is there a bloodline or arcane school or racial ability I may have missed that will buff fear abilities to the extent that will sufficiently threaten a party of equivalent level.

campaign is a sandbox so I can make them run into this characer at virtually any level. I am not looking for a full build so much as someone to point me in the right direction I may have missed.

Any help you can give would be appreciated. my plan b will be to go back to my 3.5 materials or to just homebrew the boss. Wouldnt be the first time...

thanks in advance for your time. *** knows there's a million struggling gms like me out there

DementedFellow
2013-07-18, 09:57 PM
This link (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3809) should help you out. Weirdly enough some of the best fear based builds aren't casters at all. It's a great read and it includes several builds.

Kane0
2013-07-18, 09:58 PM
There was a Pathfinder Grab Bag Competition in the homebrew forum a while back, which I participated in. That one's particular theme was Fear, so there would probably be something you could use in there.

Linky (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14007101)

Elvenoutrider
2013-07-18, 09:59 PM
Ha. I saw that and the google description and thought it was completely unrelated to gaming so I didnt bother looking at it. glad you directed me to it. Thanks

kane0: there are actually 2 things I will be using from that link as I had a swarm based boss prepared for later. Therefore, thank you ^2 for your help

JusticeZero
2013-07-19, 01:53 AM
If you don't mind magic with odd names, there is also the Dread. Psionic medium manifester (like a Bard) built entirety around inflicting and using pants wetting fear.

MirddinEmris
2013-07-19, 03:42 AM
Something like Nightmare Spinner (CM) + Dread Witch (HoH) is good, though you will lose two caster levels. Also you can go gnome, so Shadowcraft Mage (RotS) and Archmage would be a good addition, specializing in ilusions and necromancy.