PDA

View Full Version : Ur-Priest True Necromancer

Lanson
2013-07-19, 12:22 AM
Hey Playground, it's me again. I'm making a secondary character in a campaign at the request of my DM. He doesn't plan on doing anything bad to my current character, but he wants everyone to have another character ready in case the worst may happen. I was thinking:

Wizard(Necromancer) 9/ Ur-Priest 3/ True Necromancer 8
(TN is for Fluff reasons, character is to be a necromancer)

This would be the lvl 20 build, getting me 8th lvl Arcane, and 9th lvl Divine spells along with 12 lvl turning. I was wondering, how does Ur-Priest spell advancement continue beyond 10th lvl? The DM has stated he would like for this campaign to go into the epic levels if possible.

Also, should I just ignore the TN fluff and turning levels, and go Mystic Theurge? I've always enjoyed the concept of the class, though I lament no abilities, but it would give me dual 9's and still fit the character just as well.

Edit: Cannot take TN, it requires access to the Death domain, neither wizard or Ur-Priest grant the Death Domain, Mystic Theurge it is then.

Gullintanni
2013-07-19, 01:03 AM
On spell advancement, treat the Ur-Priest the same way you would treat a base class that grants spellcasting. A wizard has a spell progression that is 20 levels long. You do not gain additional spells for being a level 21 wizard. Similarly, you gain no additional spells for being a level 11 Ur-Priest.

Your caster level, however, increases as usual.

Cybris75
2013-07-19, 02:12 AM
Edit: Cannot take TN, it requires access to the Death domain, neither wizard or Ur-Priest grant the Death Domain, Mystic Theurge it is then.

You could always take the Arcane Disciple feat, which grants you access to a domain of your choice that the deity which you believes in grants.

Of course, this doesn't work with Ur-Priest, which requires you not to worship a deity.

Thurbane
2013-07-19, 02:38 AM
I checked the LIsts of Stuff to look for ways to get the Death Domain - but most (all?) require you to worship a god or have divine casting already.

Planar Touchstone (Catalogues of Enlightenment) might work, depending on how you read the benefits of the feat and the reqs for TN.

Renen
2013-07-19, 07:46 AM
Cant you worship the "ideal" of death?

Namfuak
2013-07-19, 07:56 AM
Cant you worship the "ideal" of death?

If you were a cleric that would be fine, but arcane disciple requires worshipping a god.

Thurbane
2013-07-19, 07:57 AM
Only if you are a Cleric, which doesn't play well with Ur-Priest. Of course, the DM could hand-wave the worshiping a god part of the Arcane Disciple feat.

Nina'd
There is also the Domain Wizard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wizardVariantDomainWiz ard) option from UA, and while there isn't a Death domain provided (well, there is Necromancy), it does suggest you can work with your DM to create new domains...although counting that as "access to the Death Domain" might be a stretch...

iDesu
2013-07-19, 08:36 AM
Would worshiping a dead god that had the death domain count for arcane disciple? I know there's an adaptation of the Ur-priest for followers of dead gods.

Lanson
2013-07-19, 09:31 AM
Would worshiping a dead god that had the death domain count for arcane disciple? I know there's an adaptation of the Ur-priest for followers of dead gods.

/worship Atropus (Not really, though being the cause of a dead god-moon's approach on my world would be a little bit awesome. Wight-pocolaypse anyone?

Thanks for the responses everybody, handed my DM over the characters backstory, and he says it looks good, though the character I'm making is a "Terrible person" he sees death and undead as another part of the day, nothing special about it, and he doesn't care much when people around him die. So, NE in a group of good adventurers, but he knows I can roleplay it, though he suggests I don't mention it to the other players lol