PDA

View Full Version : Hiding Alignments

Yakhgee
2013-07-19, 04:32 AM
Heya GitP forum *tips hat*

I'm considering ways to better hide the alignments of NPCs. While I could simply remove all the spells who rely on alignments I am not sure if that's the way I want to go.

Taking Detect Evil as an example I could give the NPCs affected a save to hide their true alignment.

However, I am not sure what to do with spells such as Holy Smite, Holy Word or Ungoly Blight. I want to keep as much as possible of the original concept of the spells.

Do you have any ideas?

kellbyb
2013-07-19, 04:41 AM
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Ring_of_Mind_Shielding

All you will ever need for that purpose. May I inquire why you need this?

Yakhgee
2013-07-19, 05:12 AM
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Ring_of_Mind_Shielding

All you will ever need for that purpose. May I inquire why you need this?

I am setting up a Campaign with a lot of political intrigue. Letting the PCs know who's evil and who's not would too easily show the cards of several factions.

I don't think I can justify every member of a faction carrying that ring or similar items, so I am making a few homebrewed rules, like changing Detect Evil.

NevinPL
2013-07-19, 05:20 AM
There's Touch of Benevolence feat from Champions of Ruin that make you semi-evil for the purpose of extra damage to evil creatures (50% chance).
There are some spells Undetectable Alignment (PHB), Moral Façade (Complete Champion).
"Evil" books (BoVD, etc.) probably have something too.
And magic items Mask of Lies (MIC), or magic items property (Masking, MIC).
You just need to look :)

Crake
2013-07-19, 05:35 AM
you need to remember that someone may be evil, but still not necessarily be "the bad guy". Alot of the politicians may actually be evil, although still work toward making the community, at least to a degree, better, simply because it works in their favour. Backstabbing someone (metaphorically) is still evil, so anyone who's betrayed a co-worker to further their career should show up as evil.

A simple detect evil spell will show up half the room at a council dinner for example. That doesnt necessarily mean any of them are the big bad guy who wants to tear the city apart. People often seem to think that only the most evil of people will ping on a detect evil radar.

hamishspence
2013-07-19, 06:52 AM
you need to remember that someone may be evil, but still not necessarily be "the bad guy". Alot of the politicians may actually be evil, although still work toward making the community, at least to a degree, better, simply because it works in their favour. Backstabbing someone (metaphorically) is still evil, so anyone who's betrayed a co-worker to further their career should show up as evil.

A simple detect evil spell will show up half the room at a council dinner for example. That doesnt necessarily mean any of them are the big bad guy who wants to tear the city apart. People often seem to think that only the most evil of people will ping on a detect evil radar.
While it generally takes a pattern of behaviour rather than a single act, to determine an alignment- the general point is extremely sound.

Heroes of Horror mentions that not all evildoers are Villains, and Eberron Campaign Setting mentions that Detect Evil does not just detect those who "deserve to be attacked by adventurers- it detects the mildly Evil as well.

Yora
2013-07-19, 06:55 AM
And some of the enemies might be blackmailed so they work for the villains, but are not actually evil themselves.

Or some neutral enemies who think their side is right and the PCs have sided with the wrong side.

Piggy Knowles
2013-07-19, 06:58 AM
How high a level?

A DC 70 Bluff check as a full-round action will allow you to display whatever alignment you'd like, which will remain in effect for as long as the character is conscious and awake. Fools any alignment-sensing effect, but only really applicable for fairly high level characters.

hamishspence
2013-07-19, 07:02 AM
There's a feat in Exemplars of Evil (doesn't actually require you to be evil though) that's designed for mid-level characters, and does this- and since it's non-magical, would fool even nonmagical means of detecting alignment used in an antimagic field.

Yakhgee
2013-07-19, 07:05 AM
-snip-

-snip-

All true. I simply feel like just knowing whether the head of an organisation is evil or not is too much of a tip-off. I want my players to have to work harder than that.

Giving all the important baddies a way to hide their alignment is one way to do it, I suppose. But in my opinion it feels slightly like cheating the players, especially if the NPCs shouldn't really have that much reason to constantly using those spells/items.

Again, in my opinion an evil-doer shouldn't be in constant fear of being spotted by a soul-x-ray vision. On the other hand I like the idea of -sensing- evil, hence why I am asking for suggestions on how to change the existing spells/abilities.

Gemini476
2013-07-19, 07:47 AM
Alternatively, the knight has a lead covering on (the inside of) his armour. Detect X is stopped by a thin sheet of lead (e.g. Belkar.)

Before you mention lead poisoning, that wasn't exactly well known. Case in point, lead water piping and lead crystal glass.

And the armour wouldn't be THAT much heavier, although you may want to be a warforged made from it (you can lift yourself).

Telonius
2013-07-19, 08:18 AM

Seconding this. "Evil" does not always equal "actively working against me right now." Throw in a few Evil (but helpful) NPCs to get them used to the idea. An unscrupulous landlord who is habitually mean to his tenants might still want the PCs to succeed in their mission (especially if it will mean he can charge higher rent).

Kelb_Panthera
2013-07-19, 07:16 PM
Bear in mind that in a normal human settlement about 1/3 of the population is evil. To paraphrase the player's handbook, "humans tend toward no alignment, not even neutral."

That said, you could use either of the alignment variants; either subjective alignment or behavioral alignment.

In the former, your alignment is determined by your culture or your faith. Detect evil would detect those who have opposing moral views to your own unless you identify as evil yourself; coming from an evil society or being beholden to an evil god.

In the latter, you detect under alignment detection spells based on what you're doing when subjected to them. Unless you're actively doing something evil, detect evil won't notice you.

You -could- combine the two, but at that point alignment would be pretty meaningless and you may as well drop it altogether.

hamishspence
2013-07-20, 02:23 AM
Of course, it's possible that evenly balanced settlements are very rare- with a lot of settlements taking their cues from power centers.

So- you might have "the majority of inhabitants are Neutral/Good/Evil" in a great many settlements, with only a few having no majority at all.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-07-20, 02:29 AM
Of course, it's possible that evenly balanced settlements are very rare- with a lot of settlements taking their cues from power centers.

So- you might have "the majority of inhabitants are Neutral/Good/Evil" in a great many settlements, with only a few having no majority at all.

It's possible, but unlikely in any but the smallest of communities and communities under a very strong, lawful power center.

hamishspence
2013-07-20, 02:35 AM
Large communities might have their own biases.

Cityscape, for example, suggests that about 65% of large communities (anything bigger than a small town) have a community alignment of Lawful.

EyethatBinds
2013-07-20, 08:14 AM
I always like to throw off the paladin's detect evil by having a person in the local tavern (a 1st level commoner) wearing a hooded cloak and brooding by the fire. He's an employee of the bar specifically hired to provide atmosphere and to make adventurers think there's some kind of quest or adventure they can find out about in the tavern.

Cheiromancer
2013-07-20, 08:41 AM
I like a remark that Curmudgeon recently made:

No, there aren't any Evil classes I would like to be Good instead. I'd rather embrace the alignment requirements. It's not that hard, since adventurers are Bad Guys anyway: they go around killing people and taking their stuff. The "everyday adventure" is almost always full of Evil PCs, regardless of what their character sheets say.

Personally, I think that detect evil shouldn't ping on 'normal' evil. It can detect characters with evil auras (like evil clerics or blackguards), and classes that require their members be evil; also creatures with the [Evil] subtype or 'always evil' in their Alignment entry.

But just your normal greedy, scheming aristocrats (or greedy, scheming adventurers)... no.

TheDarkSaint
2013-07-20, 11:05 AM
The simplist and easiest way I've ever done it was to rule that Good and Evil were really only detectable or effective against arcane, divine or outerplaner beings.

So, detect evil on a thief wouldn't work, but it would detect a disguised succubus. Unholy word on a LG wizard would make him wonder why you were shouting at him, but it would strike down a Paladin.

Splendor
2013-07-24, 05:43 AM
Undetectable Alignment is the basic spell. 1st level and lasts 24 hours.
(1st lv * 1st lv caster *1800gp) * .5 due to duration = 900gp magical item that must be used 1/day. Worried that the PCs will detect magic? Cover the ring in a thin layer of lead (which blocks detect magic). PCs might notice a lead ring? Then recoat the ring in gold/silver so it still appears to be a ring that someone would wear. (don't forget about nystul's aura too).

Other spells that can hide alignment: Misrepresent Alignment (RoE), Programmed Amnesia (SC), Misdirection (PHB), Moral Façade (Champion), you can also try to make a DC 70 bluff check.

Possessing spirits can make a save/hide check to avoid being detected by detect evil (BoVD pg 24).

Hero's of Horror's taint makes people detect as if they were evil when they are not. It also has a variant alignment system on page 76.

There is an thing in the BoVD that says detect evil only detects evil subtype and evil auras (cleric class feature) but the FAQ states that this is wrong.

Mnemnosyne
2013-07-24, 07:00 AM
You could change the spells so that only very powerful evil is detected; only creatures with auras like clerics, creatures with the alignment subtype, and creatures that have actually committed a heinously evil act and not atoned for it, would show up as evil. And 'heinously evil' can be up to just how much of a big deal you want it to be. Is a murder heinously evil? Maybe, but probably not. A massacre of many innocent or defenseless? That's more like it. Or a large number of individual murders over a period of time, with no redeeming acts. You can refluff the spell to say it doesn't detect the character's alignment - it detects the marks that these acts leave on their soul.

Under this system, minor evil people wouldn't ping as evil on the detect spells. Those that would? Most of them, unless they're ultra-extreme Knight Templar types, know they've done something that will mark them as 'evil' to magical detection. Maybe they think it was for good enough reasons, but they still know the act is heinous enough to leave a mark on their soul. So they would have good reason to take steps to hide it.

Jon_Dahl
2013-07-24, 07:29 AM
I follow a rather unorthodox way to "hide" alignment, which has been universally accepted by all my fellow gamers.

It's says here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/description.htm#alignment):
In addition, few people are completely consistent.

That means that even if you are evil, most likely you're not consistently evil. Few people are. When your alignment is being detected and you have no evil thoughts, you are not evil at that very moment and no evil is registered.

If you're eating in a tavern and enjoying the stew, it's very likely that you are not evil at the moment. No evil can be detected.

This idea stems from history: It has been used in D&D here since the late '80s.

Venger
2013-07-24, 10:47 AM
How high a level?

A DC 70 Bluff check as a full-round action will allow you to display whatever alignment you'd like, which will remain in effect for as long as the character is conscious and awake. Fools any alignment-sensing effect, but only really applicable for fairly high level characters.

or characters who can cast glibness

Piggy Knowles
2013-07-24, 10:52 AM
or characters who can cast glibness

I doubt that falls under "convincing others the truth of your words," meaning glibness won't work for this. Voice of the Dragon should, although it's a smaller bonus.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-24, 11:06 AM
Some people have suggested lead, but what about simple mundane lead lined clothes or a cloak.

kulosle
2013-07-24, 12:05 PM
I like the idea of just giving it a saving throw. The underlings of any organization would be the main ones who'd fail and they could be of any alignment and don't necessarily represent the alignment of their boss. Politicians should have high will saves any ways.

Tragak
2013-07-24, 12:12 PM
The underlings of any organization would be the main ones who'd fail and they could be of any alignment and don't necessarily represent the alignment of their boss. Personally, I take that as a reason not to worry about Detect Alignment, even as is, making a problem for the game.

If the party is looking for a specific mad necromancer with plans on world domination via building an army of vampires, then running into one of the people who happens to be in the same 1/3 of the population as the necromancer doesn't tell anything about whether he's working for the necromancer (probably not), working against him (probably not), or has no connection whatsoever (probably).

Deadline
2013-07-24, 12:23 PM
The Ring of Mindshielding is a great item to have, in general, for high level characters. It should work for what you want to do, and then you can just leave the other spells you listed alone. Having Detect Evil fail due to the ring will certainly make the characters suspicious, but it's a good item to have even for Good NPCs, so having Detect Evil fail for all the high level heads of the various organizations lets them know that they all have something to hide, and doesn't really give them any other useful information (which appears to be your purpose here). Giving it a saving throw doesn't help, because there are too many ways of simply spamming Detect spells (NPCs will roll a 1 eventually).

The other spells you listed need no change. Casting Holy Word in a council meeting, while effective in finding out who is evil and who is not, is also assault. I sincerely doubt any sort of Lawful society will stand for it. "I hammered the room with the power of my god to find out who was Evil" isn't a viable defense any more than, "I set the room on fire to find out who wasn't fireproof."

hamishspence
2013-07-24, 12:26 PM
The other spells you listed need no change. Casting Holy Word in a council meeting, while effective in finding out who is evil and who is not, is also assault. I sincerely doubt any sort of Lawful society will stand for it.

Especially given that it affects anyone who is nongood, rather than anyone who is evil.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/holyWord.htm

Kazy
2013-07-24, 12:28 PM
How high a level?

High?

Let's make a lvl 10 face char with:
Cha +4 Item; 16,000G
Glibness spellIf you don't have it, a command word, one time per day item will cost you 7,560G and the effect will last you for 70 minutes. You could talk to your DM and get an item around 1,800G that lasts for 20 mins or so.
A +10 Bluff item. (10,000G)
Guessing you have a Cleric in the party, Guidance of the Avatar (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a)(Cleric 2) adds a +20 competence bonus on the next skill check.
(Optional) Skillful moment spell (Bard 1): Lets you take 20 on your next skill roll.

{table=head]Source|Bluff bonus
22 Cha|+6
Bluff|+13
Item|+10
Glibness|+30
GotA| +20
|
Total|79
|
|
Skillful|+20
Total 2|99[/table]

Auto success. With Skillful moment and a 2 roll (min) you can disguise surface thoughts.

If you manage to get the items and spells at lvl 1, you may aswell still attempt it since it'd be a +66 total, or an +86 total with Skillful moment.
-------------

(1st lv * 1st lv caster *1800gp) * .5 due to duration = 900gp magical item that must be used 1/day. Add 562,5g for a scroll of permanency(CL 9) and make it permanent.

kulosle
2013-07-24, 12:32 PM
Don't forget item familiar. Makes it rather easy. Or a custom magic item for a +30. And politicians need to be really good at bluffing anyways. So having a ring of +30 bluff would make sense. That same ring could be their item familiar (don't use a ring for everyone that would be silly). You could also have the guy fiddling with his ring a lot, as a nervous tick, or just an old habit from the bonding experience. This can also act as foreshadowing for the players.

Lightlawbliss
2013-07-24, 12:42 PM
Undetectable Alignment is the basic spell. 1st level and lasts 24 hours.
(1st lv * 1st lv caster *1800gp) * .5 due to duration = 900gp magical item that must be used 1/day. ...
I just re ran your numbers useing the guidelines in the DMG and you are off. 1800 gp is the cost of an item that cast it on command unlimited times (or 5/day if you go that direction). It's 360 gp for a 1/day. Duration only changes the price of continual/use activated items (which would cost 1000 gp for an item that the spell is always in effect when it is on, 2000gp for slotless).

A major group could very well have a policy that everyone must use the magic on some statue or whatever every morning or when they first enter every day. Part of that magic could be something that blocks alinement (and some form of protection from mind effecting period would be reasonable).

Piggy Knowles
2013-07-24, 12:56 PM
High?

Let's make a lvl 10 face char with:
Cha +4 Item; 16,000G
Glibness spellIf you don't have it, a command word, one time per day item will cost you 7,560G and the effect will last you for 70 minutes. You could talk to your DM and get an item around 1,800G that lasts for 20 mins or so.
A +10 Bluff item. (10,000G)
Guessing you have a Cleric in the party, Guidance of the Avatar (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a)(Cleric 2) adds a +20 competence bonus on the next skill check.
(Optional) Skillful moment spell (Bard 1): Lets you take 20 on your next skill roll.

{table=head]Source|Bluff bonus
22 Cha|+6
Bluff|+13
Item|+10
Glibness|+30
GotA| +20
|
Total|79
|
|
Skillful|+20
Total 2|99[/table]

Auto success. With Skillful moment and a 2 roll (min) you can disguise surface thoughts.

If you manage to get the items and spells at lvl 1, you may aswell still attempt it since it'd be a +66 total, or an +86 total with Skillful moment.
-------------
Add 562,5g for a scroll of permanency(CL 9) and make it permanent.

Glibness won't apply for this use of the bluff spell, as it only applies when trying to convince others the truth of your words, as I pointed out to Venger above. Also, most +skill items are competence bonuses and won't stack with GotA, so you'll have to spend extra or buy a schema of item alteration or whatever that infusion is called to change out the bonus type.

It IS doable at lower levels still, but only if you dedicate your entire character and most of your WBL to it.

Venger
2013-07-24, 01:35 PM
Glibness won't apply for this use of the bluff spell, as it only applies when trying to convince others the truth of your words, as I pointed out to Venger above. Also, most +skill items are competence bonuses and won't stack with GotA, so you'll have to spend extra or buy a schema of item alteration or whatever that infusion is called to change out the bonus type.

It IS doable at lower levels still, but only if you dedicate your entire character and most of your WBL to it.

one could easily use divine insight instead. it's an insight bonus instead, so will stack. it caps at 15, so is almost as good.

this reduces the result to 64, but one could easily stand next to a marshal or the like to fill in the gap.

Piggy Knowles
2013-07-24, 01:47 PM
one could easily use divine insight instead. it's an insight bonus instead, so will stack. it caps at 15, so is almost as good.

this reduces the result to 64, but one could easily stand next to a marshal or the like to fill in the gap.

You'll need a CL 10 wand for that if you can't cast it yourself, although a cloistered cleric of course doesn't need to worry about that.

Anyhow, I do know it's doable - my IC entry from mindbender was a bard/marshal/evangelist that could reliably pull it off by the mid-levels with items. I'm just saying it's out of reach for many until the higher levels.

Venger
2013-07-24, 01:53 PM
You'll need a CL 10 wand for that if you can't cast it yourself, although a cloistered cleric of course doesn't need to worry about that.

Anyhow, I do know it's doable - my IC entry from mindbender was a bard/marshal/evangelist that could reliably pull it off by the mid-levels with items. I'm just saying it's out of reach for many until the higher levels.

since, as you mentioned, the money required for this to be in WBL is kind of high, I assumed that his hypothetical character was in mid lvls already (the example given was in fact lvl 10) so his party cleric he was relying on for the buff would also have a cl of 10.

frater omnia iirc. he was fun.

anyway, I don't think it's the most efficient method to hide one's alignment (I'd go with persona immersion and/or zhentarim spy/spymaster personally) just that it's not that hard to get great numbers (we haven't even touched on the silvertongue mask yet :smalltongue:

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-24, 01:59 PM
anyway, I don't think it's the most efficient method to hide one's alignment (I'd go with persona immersion and/or zhentarim spy/spymaster personally) just that it's not that hard to get great numbers (we haven't even touched on the silvertongue mask yet :smalltongue:

Objection! I think a lead lined cloak is the most efficient way to hide your alignment as it is not magical and is cheap enough for a level one character.

Edit: also blocks scrying spells.

Venger
2013-07-24, 02:09 PM
Objection! I think a lead lined cloak is the most efficient way to hide your alignment as it is not magical and is cheap enough for a level one character.

Edit: also blocks scrying spells.

ah. my sentence structure was ambiguous. I didn't mean that was the most efficient means of hiding your alignment. I meant it was my favorite one. also, spymaster is the most complete since RAW not even the gods can know your alignment.

are there any rules for putting lead in your clothes? sounds like some kinda oddball A&EG type thing.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-24, 02:22 PM
I don't think there are any rules for it, but if you pay for the price of lead and clothes and pay for it to be made masterwork i think that might work, It might also push it out of the reach of level 1 characters starting out.

Piggy Knowles
2013-07-24, 02:31 PM
I swear I've seen rules for lead-lined pockets at the very least somewhere. Maybe Complete Scoundrel?

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-24, 02:39 PM
Ah yes, complete scoundrel. It cost 10 gp and adds 10% to the weight of the object. it is designed for hidden spaces but it costs 10 gp no matter what size the space.

So 10 gp and a 10% weight increase.

Venger
2013-07-24, 02:53 PM
I swear I've seen rules for lead-lined pockets at the very least somewhere. Maybe Complete Scoundrel?

page 108. explicitly works for clothes.

there we go!

also adds negligible weight.

EDIT: ninja'ed.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-24, 02:55 PM
Here's a funny story, since lead also blocks the scrying subschool.

Epic wizard's assistance: What are you doing?
Epic wizard: scrying a commoner with an epic spell.
EWA: I don't see anything.
EW: He must be a powerful epic wizard in disguise.

Commoner: I wish I never bought this lead cloak, it's too hot.

SowZ
2013-07-24, 03:21 PM
Magic blooded is an LA +0 template that gives +2 Charisma, -2 Wisdom and the ability to conceal your magic items from registering as magic. Which would keep a wizard from identifying your alignment concealing items.

Sith_Happens
2013-07-24, 03:46 PM
All true. I simply feel like just knowing whether the head of an organisation is evil or not is too much of a tip-off. I want my players to have to work harder than that.

Anyone in a position of real power who doesn't have a Ring of Mind Shielding deserves what they get.

SowZ
2013-07-24, 04:00 PM
Anyone in a position of real power who doesn't have a Ring of Mind Shielding deserves what they get.

Even better, if they can afford it, is a cowl of warding. Never have a character who can afford it without one.

supervillan
2013-07-24, 06:17 PM
I like a remark that Curmudgeon recently made:

Personally, I think that detect evil shouldn't ping on 'normal' evil. It can detect characters with evil auras (like evil clerics or blackguards), and classes that require their members be evil; also creatures with the [Evil] subtype or 'always evil' in their Alignment entry.

But just your normal greedy, scheming aristocrats (or greedy, scheming adventurers)... no.

This. I make exactly the same ruling. Otherwise, why the "aura" class feature at all?

TuggyNE
2013-07-24, 08:24 PM
This. I make exactly the same ruling. Otherwise, why the "aura" class feature at all?

Cleric/Paladin/Blackguard/whatever auras are discernibly stronger than others of the same HD (often a great deal), and that's the intended function of the class feature. For example, an evil Cleric 11 radiates an overwhelming aura of evil, but only a Commoner 51 (!!) or higher would register so strongly.

supervillan
2013-07-25, 10:59 AM
Cleric/Paladin/Blackguard/whatever auras are discernibly stronger than others of the same HD (often a great deal), and that's the intended function of the class feature. For example, an evil Cleric 11 radiates an overwhelming aura of evil, but only a Commoner 51 (!!) or higher would register so strongly.

A good point, but I will stick with my ruling. This is because it also prevents over zealous paladins and divine casters from attacking wantonly when their "detect evil radar" goes off, which is preferable to another one of those long-winded arguments about when, where and how it is appropriate to destroy "evil". Paladins still get to be champions of good and justice, but they don't get drawn into smiting the pub landlord who happens to be entirely self-centred and waters down the beer. The good guys can concentrate their efforts on the agents of evil gods, undead and outsiders. I think it would solve the OP's problem too.

hoverfrog
2013-07-25, 11:13 AM
Why hide their alignments? If someone starts casting spells that read people's innermost thoughts and feelings then the victim should call foul and demand that the invasion of privacy be treated as assault by the law of the land. Furthermore the results of the spell should not be admissible in a court. A few incidents like this with the PCs acting like Big Brother may deter them from using such magic without just cause.

Also Undetectable Alignment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/undetectableAlignment.htm) is a first level Bard spell with a 24 hour duration. Have the villain's minstrel cast this each morning on his patron to protect his privacy. In fact have every important person have their minstrel or a low level priest cast this for the same reason.

cerin616
2013-07-25, 01:01 PM
All your npcs were evil wizards who became spellstitched vecna blooded undead. They were then resurerected into living people, shunned their evil ways, lost their templates and went on their way with their immunity to divination.

TuggyNE
2013-07-25, 06:02 PM
A good point, but I will stick with my ruling. This is because it also prevents over zealous paladins and divine casters from attacking wantonly when their "detect evil radar" goes off, which is preferable to another one of those long-winded arguments about when, where and how it is appropriate to destroy "evil". Paladins still get to be champions of good and justice, but they don't get drawn into smiting the pub landlord who happens to be entirely self-centred and waters down the beer. The good guys can concentrate their efforts on the agents of evil gods, undead and outsiders. I think it would solve the OP's problem too.

It's not a bad houserule, but I'm not sure it's necessary (given that Paladins can just be told to avoid smite-on-sight for faint auras; there are no really interesting targets that have a faint aura past level 1 or 2).

Martial_law
2013-07-26, 01:45 AM

Giving all the important baddies a way to hide their alignment is one way to do it, I suppose. But in my opinion it feels slightly like cheating the players, especially if the NPCs shouldn't really have that much reason to constantly using those spells/items.

Having the "important baddies" act via intermediaries is how that would work, all CEO's have lawyers and secretaries that act as both actors complicit in both good or evil deed's on behalf of their bosses, for their own ends or running interference, maintaining plausible deniability and keeping blood off the bosses hands.

Lightlawbliss
2013-07-26, 02:14 AM
Having the "important baddies" act via intermediaries is how that would work, all CEO's have lawyers and secretaries that act as both actors complicit in both good or evil deed's on behalf of their bosses, for their own ends or running interference, maintaining plausible deniability and keeping blood off the bosses hands.

The lawyers and secretaries aren't the only ones eather, they are just the obvious ones.