PDA

View Full Version : RFLS' Monster Building Thread! You Name 'em, I'll Build 'em!

RFLS
2013-07-19, 12:41 PM
Hey, Playground! Ever want a brand-new monster to terrify your party of intrepid adventurers with? Don't feel like scouring the monster books for hours at a time or agonizing over the rules for stat block building? Look no further! I'll build anyone a monster; all you have to do is ask. Here's how it goes:

Realize you need or want a monster.
Post to the thread; describe any details that you feel are necessary for what you want.
Enjoy your shiny, brand-new, one-of-a-kind monster!

The monsters I'll build will conform to the racial HD rules, will have clearly explained special abilities, and will fit any requirements you can give me. If you have source material you absolutely don't want used, then let me know up front, because I'm a big fan of just dropping a class level or particular feats on monsters for a little extra zip in the party's adventuring day.

Template to be used:

Type:
Size:
HD:
Initiative:
Speed:
AC:
Attacks:
Damage:
Special Attacks:
Special Qualities:
Saves:
Abilities:
Skills:
Feats:
CR:

Things I've made so far:

Creature

Playgrounder

CR

Type

Time Eater (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15652817&postcount=3)
Fouredged Sword
Magical Beast

Karmic Genies (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15653421&postcount=14)
Togapika
Outsider

The Jabberwocky (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15655112&postcount=19)
Biotroll
Aberration

-secret- (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15656559&postcount=28)
Lateral
Undead

Soul Eater (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15659317&postcount=41)
Novawurmson
Plant

Arcanicide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15669066&postcount=50)
Harlot
Aberration

Plague Linnorm (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15669341&postcount=52)
Mishkov
Dragon

Slinky Golem (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15710807&postcount=66)
137ben
Construct

Prismatic Crawler (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15711630&postcount=67)
Greencap
Magical Beast

Ellén Trechend (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15711973&postcount=68)
ExtravagantEvil
Dragon

Wolverine-Ape (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15726303&postcount=74)
Svata
--
Animal

Fouredged Sword
2013-07-19, 01:00 PM
A small sized spider to (in groups of 3-5) threaten a level 7-10 psionic based party. They should have a PLA to produce quintesence, and weave webs and traps based on that PLA.

RFLS
2013-07-19, 01:43 PM
A small sized spider to (in groups of 3-5) threaten a level 7-10 psionic based party. They should have a PLA to produce quintesence, and weave webs and traps based on that PLA.

Time Eater

Type: Magical Beast
Size: Small
HD: 6d10 (61 HP)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 50 feet, 50 climb
AC: 22 AC, (+4 natural armor, +7 Dexterity, +1 size) 18 touch, 15 flat footed
Attacks: Bite +11
Damage: Bite 1d6+2 plus poison and power conversion
Special Attacks: Poison, web, power conversion
Special Qualities: Quintessence at will, wilder powers, blur, PR 18, darkvision, evasion
Saves: Fort +9, Reflex +12, Will +5
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 24, Con 18, Int 4, Wis 12, Cha 16
Skills: Climb +19 (+8 racial), Hide +19 (+4 size, +8 racial), Tumble +9
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Ability Focus (Poison), Iron Will
CR: 6

Poison (Ex): Unlike normal spiders, a time eater's poison isn't neurological in basis. Instead, it's based on the time eater's odd ability to produce quintessence. When a time eater bites into an opponent, the opponent must make a DC 19 Will save (1/2 HD + Con mod + Ability Focus) or lose their next move action. If they fail this save twice before their next turn (as from two different bites), they lose their next standard action. If they fail it three times between turns, they instead lose a full round action and are treated as helpless until they act again.

Web (Su): This attack is similar to one with a net, but has a maximum range of 50 feet, with a range increment of 10 feet, and is effective against targets up to one size category larger than the time eater. An entangled creature can escape with a successful Escape Artist check or burst it with a Strength check. Both are standard actions whose DCs are given below. This attack is a standard action.

If given time, a time eater can prepare its webs in sheets of anywhere from 5 to 60 feet square. Each square takes two rounds of preparation.

With a full minute of preparation per five foot square, a time eater can instead create a web laced with its quintessence. Anything other than itself or another time eater that comes in contact with a web of this kind is immediately trapped by it, removed from the flow of time as per the quintessence power. For the purposes of this ability, a creature is considered in contact with the web if it would need to make an Escape Artist or a break check to escape it.

A placed web can be hidden by doubling the time it took to create the web. The web uses the spider's Hide check against opposed Spot checks.

Escaping from a web is a DC 16 Escape Artist attempt, a DC 20 break check, or requires 10 points of damage for each 5 foot square. Web has hardness 5, but takes full damage from fire. A creature trapped in a web laced with quintessence is unable to take these actions.

Power Conversion (Su): Whenever a time eater bites a psionic character, it steals 1 power point, which is then converted into 5 temp hp for the spider. This has no effect on non-psionic characters.

Quintessence (PLA): (at will) as the psionic power, ML 7.

Wilder powers (Ex): A time eater can manifest wilder powers as a wilder with a level equal to its RHD. Time eaters begin each day with 44 PP, and know the powers decelerate (DC 14), entangling ectoplasm (DC 14), cloud mind (DC 15), inflict pain (DC 15), and hustle.

Blur (Ex): Whenever a time eater moves more than 20 feet in a turn, it gains the benefits of the blur spell.

Darkvision (Ex): to 60 feet.

Evasion (Ex): as the monk class ability.

PR (Ex): 18 PR

How's that look? Should make for a very fast, very stealthy opponent that gets much, much harder the more of them you use. Doesn't subject the players to immediate death, but if it's given time, a group of them will wear the party down to nothing. If you want them to be sneakier, swap Iron Will out for Darkstalker.

Psyren
2013-07-19, 01:52 PM
The Web ability is cool but I have some questions:

1) Quintessence only removes completely immersed beings from time's flow. What happens if only part of you touches a web? (for simplicity, I'll skip past fingers and toes, and consider things like a Large or larger creature who crosses a web with one square of his total space.)

2) If you're outside of time, how can you make the Escape Artist checks needed to break free?

3) Fluffwise, why would the spider make quintessence-webs?

Also, if you're custom-making monsters, shouldn't this be in homebrew?

togapika
2013-07-19, 01:53 PM
How about a lower powered genie who can gain more power via granting people's wishes.

Fouredged Sword
2013-07-19, 01:57 PM
COOL.

I think I would tweek it a bit and have the poison be more standardized. Maybe initial and secondary effects of slow for 10 rounds. It is less nasty, but not as short lived. Maybe a line that states this effect ignores poison immunity.

Then maybe replace the always on second move action with SLA hustle as a swift action 5/day and continuous haste.

Then maybe temporal acceleration as a SLA once a day with a duration of four rounds. That gives them a hard to prevent escape button or for ambushing and laying traps directly around targets.

RFLS
2013-07-19, 02:01 PM
The Web ability is cool but I have some questions:

1) Quintessence only removes completely immersed beings from time's flow. What happens if only part of you touches a web? (for simplicity, I'll skip past fingers and toes, and consider things like a Large or larger creature who crosses a web with one square of his total space.)

2) If you're outside of time, how can you make the Escape Artist checks needed to break free?

3) Fluffwise, why would the spider make quintessence-webs?

4) Also, if you're custom-making monsters, shouldn't this be in homebrew?

Fixed, although I've run into a problem on clarity with the original web ability of normal spiders.
Clarified. Basically, you're SoL. I'm considering adding a Will save every hour or so to be allowed an attempt to break out, but I think I'll leave it as-is. A character trapped in that web for an hour is basically spider food already.
Fresh people-slurpees!
I thought about it, but there were a couple of reasons it ended up in here.

This is a DM resource for 3.5 specific material.
This forum has a lot more traffic for DMs looking for this sort of thing; I've seen at least a dozen threads asking for custom monsters.
For the most part, I'm going to be assembling racial HD in novel ways, assigning some special qualities, and calling it a day. Very within-the-rules, to the point where I don't think it's 100% homebrew (obviously some of it is, but...you get the point).

How about a lower powered genie who can gain more power via granting people's wishes.

Hmm.... sure, I can do that. A lot of the djinni are elementally tied, do you have a preference here?

togapika
2013-07-19, 02:05 PM
Hmm.... sure, I can do that. A lot of the djinni are elementally tied, do you have a preference here?

Not really. I was thinking light/dark depending if they grant wishes to people good or evil, but those aren't exactly elements by D&D terms...

RFLS
2013-07-19, 02:06 PM
Not really. I was thinking light/dark depending if they grant wishes to people good or evil, but those aren't exactly elements by D&D terms...

Sure they are; positive and negative energy. They're even planar. I'll whip something up real fast.

RFLS
2013-07-19, 02:09 PM
COOL.

I think I would tweek it a bit and have the poison be more standardized. Maybe initial and secondary effects of slow for 10 rounds. It is less nasty, but not as short lived. Maybe a line that states this effect ignores poison immunity.

Then maybe replace the always on second move action with SLA hustle as a swift action 5/day and continuous haste.

Then maybe temporal acceleration as a SLA once a day with a duration of four rounds. That gives them a hard to prevent escape button or for ambushing and laying traps directly around targets.

Hmm...this is going to be pushing into CR 6 or 7 territory per critter, just so you're aware. I'm going to swap out double move for hustle as suggested, but I'm going to leave haste out. It's a very serious buff spell, they already move really fast, and you don't want them making multiple attacks. Temporal acceleration will be added as suggested. For the poison, I'm very inclined to leave it as-is. The reasoning for this is that, on its own, it's irritating, but can be dealt with. The devastation of the poison goes up a lot when the critter is hunting in groups. Obviously, if you still prefer to swap it over to slow, the continuous haste effect isn't as big a deal, and can be added in.

Biotroll
2013-07-19, 02:24 PM
Make me a Jabberwocky! :smalltongue: Group of 5 players, lvl8-9 range (swordsage - ninjatype, rogue - 2 hand crossbows, OA shaman - unarmed, bard - singing/casting (mind affecting) and dread necro - a bit of combat-controlling, summoning undead, plinking bow).

Just need something crazy enough for their psycho-trip and this looks like great opportunity. :smallsmile: If you want, make some psycho-themed mooks for Jabberwocky to bumb the encounter a bit higher. Thanks.

Fouredged Sword
2013-07-19, 02:25 PM
Ok, I can see that.

Going back through, I was thinking less intelligent, maybe 4 max, 2 is more in line of my thinking. The idea in my mind was a magical beast who is a pest and danger as an ambush predator, but not an intelligent threat. Int 2, cha 16ish. Smart for an animal, but still an animal. Pretty iridescent blue though.

I wonder though, if in place of PLA's if we tweeked into temporal focused psion levels. Maybe it could count as a wilder of it's racial HD. Maybe drop a HD to balance it.

Slow it down to 20ft move.

Powers
1 - decelerate
1 - Entangling ectoplasm
2 - Cloud mind
2 - Inflict Pain
3 - Hustle

That gives it more options, but makes it more predictable in how they act.

Just thinking out loud here.

Also, maybe an anti psionic aura like quintecene. If there are more than X number of nets in an area, psionics should suffer the quintence effect. The spiders should be immune.

I am thinking a natural predator for underdark psionic ecosystems.

RFLS
2013-07-19, 02:34 PM
Make me a Jabberwocky! :smalltongue: Group of 5 players, lvl8-9 range (swordsage - ninjatype, rogue - 2 hand crossbows, OA shaman - unarmed, bard - singing/casting (mind affecting) and dread necro - a bit of combat-controlling, summoning undead, plinking bow).

Just need something crazy enough for their psycho-trip and this looks like great opportunity. :smallsmile: If you want, make some psycho-themed mooks for Jabberwocky to bumb the encounter a bit higher. Thanks.

Coming up.

Ok, I can see that.

Going back through, I was thinking less intelligent, maybe 4 max, 2 is more in line of my thinking. The idea in my mind was a magical beast who is a pest and danger as an ambush predator, but not an intelligent threat. Int 2, cha 16ish. Smart for an animal, but still an animal. Pretty iridescent blue though.

I wonder though, if in place of PLA's if we tweeked into temporal focused psion levels. Maybe it could count as a wilder of it's racial HD. Maybe drop a HD to balance it.

Slow it down to 20ft move.

Powers
1 - decelerate
1 - Entangling ectoplasm
2 - Cloud mind
2 - Inflict Pain
3 - Hustle

That gives it more options, but makes it more predictable in how they act.

Just thinking out loud here.

Also, maybe an anti psionic aura like quintecene. If there are more than X number of nets in an area, psionics should suffer the quintence effect. The spiders should be immune.

I am thinking a natural predator for underdark psionic ecosystems.

Swapped the mental scores. having it count as a wilder of its RHD would be pretty solid; that'd leave it in a pretty good place. I'll go ahead and edit that in. I'm going to recommend against the anti-psionics field from a fluff and from a mechanical stand-point. Fluff-wise, why would the suppress it if it's what the feed on? Mechanically...that will destroy your party, no questions asked. I've uh...I've recently learned a lesson about giving powerful abilities to ambush predators.

RFLS
2013-07-19, 03:10 PM
Yin and Yang Genies

Type: Outsider (Extraplanar)
Size: Large
HD: 4d8 (29 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 20 feet, 40 fly (perfect)
AC: (+3 natural, -1 size)
Attacks: +7 Slam, Karmic ray +7
Damage: Slam (1d6+4)
Special Attacks: None
Special Qualities: Karmic summoning, karmic ties, twinned casting
Saves: Fort 6, Reflex 7, Will 8
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 18, Wis 18, Cha 16
Skills: Diplomacy +11, Sense Motive +11, Bluff +10, Intimidate +10, Spot +11, Knowledge (The Planes) +11, Knowledge (Religion) +11, Knowledge (Arcana) +11, Spellcraft +11, UMD +10, Concentration +9, Listen +11
Feats: Ability Focus (Karmic Ray), Skill Focus (Diplomacy)
CR: Varies; starts at 4
Languages: Common

Karmic Summoning (Ex): Yin and yang genies are a rare kind of genie, only given form when a caster attempts to summon one. Good casters summon a yin genie, while evil casters summon a yang genie. Neutral casters may choose which one they wish to summon.

When one of the genies is summoned, a paired one is drawn into the world with it, arriving within 1 mile of its partner in a safe location. It is always of the opposite type from the summoned genie. The second (non-summoned) genie will always do its best to slay the person that summoned their partnered genie, or their partnered genie itself, if the summoner in question is beyond reach. When either of the genies is slain or dismissed (as the dismissal spell), the other is immediately dismissed.

Karmic Ties (Su): All genies of this kind know the direction and general location of their partnered genie at all times. This extends to other planes, and into extradimensional spaces. Should one of the genies manage to enter an antimagic zone without being dismissed, its partner still knows the direction to it, but not within the zone.

Twinned Casting (Ex): Each day, the summoner of a genie of either type may make up to three requests of the genie. Each request may replicate a spell of level equal or below the number of days the genie has been bound. The genie ignores material or experience components, although foci must still be provided.

When each request is made, the non-summoned genie gains the ability to use that spell up to three times per day. It may only use these spells in its pursuit of destroying the summoner of its partnered genie.

Karmic Ray (Su): A karmic genie has the ability to use a ray attack at will. This ray has a range of 60 feet, and is a ranged touch attack. It deals 1 negative level per day the genie has been bound, and allows a Will save (DC 18) for half, rounded down.

Darkvision (Ex): To 60 feet.

togapika
2013-07-19, 03:27 PM
Yin and Yang Genies

I Love it! Thanks!

Blyte
2013-07-19, 03:28 PM
1. Shark-nado
2. Snake-alanche
3. Croc-quake

Go.

RFLS
2013-07-19, 03:32 PM

Hey, I apologize, I need a little more detail on this one. Jabberwocky is such a...generic and oft-used term. So, do you mean something like this? (http://www.jabberwocky.com/pics/jabberwocky.jpg)

1. Shark-nado
2. Snake-alanche
3. Croc-quake

Go.

Don't think I won't.

Biotroll
2013-07-19, 03:45 PM
Hey, I apologize, I need a little more detail on this one. Jabberwocky is such a...generic and oft-used term. So, do you mean something like this? (http://www.jabberwocky.com/pics/jabberwocky.jpg)

Yup, that's pretty much it. Something crazy, that will be competent in melee and with some madness related abilities.

ETA: They will get their hands on vorpal longsword in this psycho-trip and few things that will allow them to do rerolls, so hopefuly this part will be covered somehow. Everything but xp should go away once they pass through.

RFLS
2013-07-19, 07:49 PM
The Jabberwocky

Type: Aberration
Size: Huge
HD: 18d8 (210 HP)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 60 feet, 40 fly (poor) 60 climb
AC: 24 AC (+15 natural, -2 size, +1 Dex), 9 touch, 23 flat-footed
Attacks: (BAB 13) 2 Claws +21, Bite +19, 4 Tentacles +19
Damage: 2 Claws (1d8+10), Bite (2d6+15), 4 tentacles (1d6+10)
Special Attacks: Confusion aura, sorcerer casting
Special Qualities: DR 10/-, Regneration 10/Vorpal, Immune to mind affecting, Randomized Metamagic
Saves: Fort 13, Reflex 7, Will 10
Abilities: Str 30, Dex 12, Con 24, Int 24, Wis 8, Cha 18
Skills: TBD
Feats: Improved Multiattack, Power Attack, Extend Spell, Quicken Spell, Improved Bull Rush, Knockback, Improved Trip
CR: 12

Confusion Aura (Su): All creatures that are not Aberrations that come within 60 feet of the Jabberwocky must immediately make a Will save, DC (10+1/2 HD+Cha mod) or suffer the effects of the spell confusion (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Confusion). However, it rolls instead on this table for its confusion effect:

{table=head] d% | Effect
1-33% | Do nothing but babble incoherently.
34-67% | Flee away from caster at top possible speed.
68-100% | Attack nearest creature (for this purpose, a familiar counts as part of the subject’s self).
[/table]

Once a creature has been subject to the aura, it cannot be affected by it again for the next 24 hours.

Sorcerer Casting (Ex): A Jabberwocky casts spells as an 8th level sorcerer. Its list typically resembles the one printed below; however, it does have a special caveat. Should the Jabberwocky encounter a fight that it is forced to flee from, and it survives the experience, it may entirely re-select its spells after an 8-hour period of rest. The DC vs the Jabberwocky's spells is 10+spell level+Cha mod (+4)

0th level (7/day): resistance, detect magic, read magic, flare, ghost sound, message, arcane mark.
1st level (7/day): shield, mage armor, hypnotism, color spray, chill touch
2nd level (7/day): hideous laughter, touch of idiocy, see invisibility
3rd level (6/day): hold person, displacement
4th level (4/day): rainbow pattern

Randomized Metamagic (Ex): Once per turn, whenever the Jabberwocky casts a spell, one metamagic feat it knows is randomly applied to the spell. If this would not normally be legal (Maximize Spell to a spell with no variable, numeric effect, for example), then the ability simply fails. This causes no increase in the spell slot required to cast the spell.

The fine print:

I've given it Improved Trip, Improved Bull Rush, and Knockback, ignoring the (silly) prerequisite on Improved Trip. As best I can tell, the Jabberwocky can make a trip attempt, and, if it succeeds, power attack on the resulting attack for a knockback attempt. This can be fluffed as simply hitting people so hard they fall over.

If this doesn't sit well with you, the any of the feats should be subbed out for metamagic feats to combo with its Randomized Metamagic ability. Finally, I'd suggest never, ever allowing a player to polymorph or shapechange into one of these.

137beth
2013-07-19, 10:08 PM
Okay, an idea for a silly monster just popped into my head:

The Slinky Golem
This is a humanoid-shaped golem which is literallly made out of animated slinkies..., and it can jump attack enemies. Also, against creatures two or more size categories smaller than itself, it can trap a creature inside one of its arms or legs (with a grapple check or something). It is vulnerable to Entanglement, taking a -6 on dexterity instead of the usual -4. However, if the Slinky Golem is entangled while it has a smaller creature trapped inside itself, the trapped creature takes #HD crushing and #HD slashing damage each round until released (where #HD is the Slinky Golem's total hit-dice).

Also, why isn't this thread in the homebrew forums:smallconfused:

Sythirius
2013-07-19, 10:22 PM
Muruk, a member of a race of celestials know as the Navi'im. Basically a demon, he is associated with domination and all monsters are his children.

I haven't gotten far enough to do it myself. I kind of want to see how you would make this though.

Novawurmson
2013-07-19, 10:29 PM
Plant creature that can trap wandering souls.

Lateral
2013-07-19, 11:24 PM
Can you spoiler this one? This is for a game on this forum, and a couple of my players are known to frequent this section. (If you're in my dungeon crawl, stay out of these spoilers. Especially you, Jeff.)

I'm looking for a fire ghost, basically. Has to be undead, incorporeal, do some reasonable fire damage, and be CR 4 or under. Also, just a note- I'd prefer nonmindless, but low-INT (no higher than 6). Other than that, I don't much care.

RFLS
2013-07-20, 12:53 AM
1. Shark-nado
2. Snake-alanche
3. Croc-quake

Go.

Hey, gonna need prospective CRs for these if you're interested. If not, I'll be doing them as CR 20s.

The Slinky Golem
This is a humanoid-shaped golem which is literallly made out of animated slinkies..., and it can jump attack enemies. Also, against creatures two or more size categories smaller than itself, it can trap a creature inside one of its arms or legs (with a grapple check or something). It is vulnerable to Entanglement, taking a -6 on dexterity instead of the usual -4. However, if the Slinky Golem is entangled while it has a smaller creature trapped inside itself, the trapped creature takes #HD crushing and #HD slashing damage each round until released (where #HD is the Slinky Golem's total hit-dice).

Can do. I might streamline the mechanics a little, but slinky golem on the way. Going to shoot for CR ~12.

Also, why isn't this thread in the homebrew forums:smallconfused:

I've addressed that earlier in this thread. It's essentially because it's a tool specifically for 3.5 DMs rather than homebrew for anyone. The traffic of intended beneficiaries is much higher in this subforum. Of course, I mean no disregard of the rules, and if the mods feel that it's more suited to that subforum than this, I apologize and would request that it be swapped immediately.

Muruk, a member of a race of celestials know as the Navi'im. Basically a demon, he is associated with domination and all monsters are his children.

I haven't gotten far enough to do it myself. I kind of want to see how you would make this though.

Going to need a little more clarification on this one. Celestial generally refers to an angelic being; are you describing a fallen angel archetype? Also, an intended CR would be helpful. At a guess, you're shooting for CR ~20, but it never hurts for me to make sure.

Plant creature that can trap wandering souls.

On it. Something along the lines of an organic Thinaun? Hmm...this'll be interesting. CR? Or is it just whatever I feel like?

Can you spoiler this one? This is for a game on this forum, and a couple of my players are known to frequent this section. (If you're in my dungeon crawl, stay out of these spoilers. Especially you, Jeff.)

I'm looking for a fire ghost, basically. Has to be undead, incorporeal, do some reasonable fire damage, and be CR 4 or under. Also, just a note- I'd prefer nonmindless, but low-INT (no higher than 6). Other than that, I don't much care.

On it. I have some...creative....ideas for this one.

Crasical
2013-07-20, 12:55 AM
Do you take requests for Pathfinder monsters?

Lateral
2013-07-20, 12:59 AM
On it. I have some...creative....ideas for this one.
Please, go ahead. The encounter I'm planning this for is two ahead, so given the rate at which we're moving, I'm in no particular rush.

RFLS
2013-07-20, 01:50 AM
Do you take requests for Pathfinder monsters?

Absolutely. What would you like?

RFLS
2013-07-20, 02:05 AM
For Lateral:

Fire Wraith

Type: Undead (Incorporeal, Fire)
Size: Medium
HD: 6d12
Speed: 30 fly (perfect)
AC: 15 AC (+3 Dexterity, +2 deflection), touch 15, flat-footed 12
Attacks: Slam +6
Damage: Slam plus burn (1d6 plus 1d6 fire)
Special Attacks: Pillar of flame, Immolate
Special Qualities: Immune to fire, darkvision 60, incorporeal, undead traits, turn resistance +4
Saves: Fort 2, Reflex 5, Will 5
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 16, Con --, Int 5, Wis 10, Cha 16
Skills: Hide +4
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Ability Focus (Pillar of Flame), Combat Reflexes
CR: 4

Burn (Ex): A fire wraith's melee attacks deal additional fire damage. If the fire wraith is for some reason unable to affect an opponent, it may instead make a melee touch attack against that opponent to deal only the fire damage.

Pillar of Flame (Su): A fire wraith has the ability, as a standard action, to create a pillar of flame anywhere within 30 feet of itself. The pillar has a radius of 5 feet, lasts for one round, and does 3d6 points of fire damage with a Reflex save, DC 16 (10+1/2 HD+Cha mod), for half.

Immolate (Su): As a special action replacing a coup de grace, a fire wraith may instead reach into any humanoid's body as a full-round action, touching their heart. The humanoid must then make a Will save, DC 18 (10+1/2 HD+Cha mod+Ability Focus), or, upon death, rise 1d4 rounds later as a fire wraith. This ability may also be used on any humanoid that has died in the last 10 minutes.

Lateral
2013-07-20, 02:16 AM
For Lateral:

Fire Wraith

Type: Undead (Incorporeal, Fire)
Size: Medium
HD: 6d12
Speed: 30 fly (perfect)
AC: 15 AC (+3 Dexterity, +2 deflection), touch 15, flat-footed 12
Attacks: Slam +6
Damage: Slam plus burn (1d6 plus 1d6 fire)
Special Attacks: Pillar of flame, Immolate
Special Qualities: Immune to fire, darkvision 60, incorporeal, undead traits, turn resistance +4
Saves: Fort 2, Reflex 5, Will 5
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 16, Con --, Int 5, Wis 10, Cha 16
Skills: Hide +4
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Ability Focus (Immolate), Combat Reflexes
CR: 4

Burn (Ex): A fire wraith's melee attacks deal additional fire damage. If the fire wraith is for some reason unable to affect an opponent, it may instead make a melee touch attack against that opponent to deal only the fire damage.

Pillar of Flame (Su): A fire wraith has the ability, as a standard action, to create a pillar of flame anywhere within 30 feet of itself. The pillar has a radius of 5 feet, lasts for one round, and does 2d6 points of fire damage with a Reflex save, DC 16 (10+1/2 HD+Cha mod), for half.

Immolate (Su): As a special action replacing a coup de grace, a fire wraith may instead reach into any humanoid's body as a full-round action, touching their heart. The humanoid must then make a Will save, DC 18 (10+1/2 HD+Cha mod+Ability Focus), or, upon death, rise 1d4 rounds later as a fire wraith. This ability may also be used on any humanoid that has died in the last 10 minutes.

Hmm. I like most of it, especially Pillar of Flame, but Immolate, while cool, isn't really going to come up in this encounter. Could we maybe drop that and tack on another 1d6 Burn/Pillar of Flame damage?

Also, when I use this I'm switching Ability Focus to Pillar of Flame, but that's just me.

Crasical
2013-07-20, 02:25 AM
CR 7-8 undead creature being controlled by a cleric of Mahathallah.
Serving as a story-arc boss for a level 6 group composed of a Halfling Rogue, Strix Barbarian, Aasimar Cleric, and Elf Inquisitor.

Dungeon has an osirion/egyptian theme, but the cleric isn't from the region so don't feel locked into that if you don't want.

Maybe something on the beatstick continuum since I want it to be kind of large and intimidating?

Biotroll
2013-07-20, 05:21 AM
Awesomness

This is great. Thank you so much for help. My players already cried in despair and they don't know why.:smallbiggrin:

Novawurmson
2013-07-20, 07:58 AM
Oooh, I hadn't even seen Thinaun, but it's an Eberron campaign, so feel free to integrate it. I'll say CR 10, but I may scale up or down, accordingly.

Basic concept is that an evil fey created them to trap the spirits of a ruined city for his own nefarious purposes Maybe something with ghost touch and some kind of "swallow whole" ability that works with incorporeal creatures?

Edit: Oh, and the campaign will be PF, not that it'll probably make much of a difference for this one.

RFLS
2013-07-20, 11:37 AM
Hmm. I like most of it, especially Pillar of Flame, but Immolate, while cool, isn't really going to come up in this encounter. Could we maybe drop that and tack on another 1d6 Burn/Pillar of Flame damage?

Also, when I use this I'm switching Ability Focus to Pillar of Flame, but that's just me.

I'll edit the boost to damage and the swap ability focus to Pillar of Flame. You mind if I leave Immolate in? It doesn't contribute significantly to the the CR, and it kinda makes it feel complete to me.

Serving as a story-arc boss for a level 6 group composed of a Halfling Rogue, Strix Barbarian, Aasimar Cleric, and Elf Inquisitor.

Dungeon has an osirion/egyptian theme, but the cleric isn't from the region so don't feel locked into that if you don't want.

Maybe something on the beatstick continuum since I want it to be kind of large and intimidating?

On it. Will post soon.

This is great. Thank you so much for help. My players already cried in despair and they don't know why.:smallbiggrin:

No problem =) glad I could help.

Oooh, I hadn't even seen Thinaun, but it's an Eberron campaign, so feel free to integrate it. I'll say CR 10, but I may scale up or down, accordingly.

Basic concept is that an evil fey created them to trap the spirits of a ruined city for his own nefarious purposes Maybe something with ghost touch and some kind of "swallow whole" ability that works with incorporeal creatures?

Edit: Oh, and the campaign will be PF, not that it'll probably make much of a difference for this one.

Hmm....yeah, I've got some ideas here. I'll get on it.

Lateral
2013-07-20, 11:45 AM
I'll edit the boost to damage and the swap ability focus to Pillar of Flame. You mind if I leave Immolate in? It doesn't contribute significantly to the the CR, and it kinda makes it feel complete to me.
Sure, go ahead.

Svata
2013-07-20, 12:14 PM
Got something for an animal companion for a 14th level gestalt druid's animal companion? The druid is the BBEG, and is currently trying to destroy arcane magic (aritifact poisioning the source of arcane magic, killing everyone with access to it at random, more likely based on how much magic/ how powerful the magic they use is, etc, etc... Its what the campaign is based around, but the players don't know what's killing the magic yet.) Oh, and the druid is a centaur, that might be important to know.

Harlot
2013-07-20, 01:52 PM
3.5: The wizard in my game solves pretty much everything by making himself invisible and summon monsters ... and thats about it.

I need some sort of creepy blind scenting teleporting etheral and quite intelligent monster to take him down - or force him to do something else. His spot and listen checks are good.
The party is level 6.

Mishkov
2013-07-20, 01:56 PM
Great thread! I love what you've done so far.

For one of my groups :smallsmile:

I need a snake/snake-like thing that can challenge a level 11 gestalt group. I want slithery beast to be a somewhat re-occurring encounter which later leads to a plot arch, so either an interesting progression or something that they can do in numbers would be interesting.

Of note, the group has a variety in strengths, but most are strong melee/beatstick type characters with good grapple/trip/to hit/smashing abilities. Lowish magic. Their saves vary from moderate to strong. However they're fairly flexible melee--think ToB characters on one side.

ArqArturo
2013-07-20, 02:09 PM
PF: A Daemon that serves both as an agent of Pestilence and Hunger. A bloated creature that can be (fatally) mistaken for an undead.

darktornaydoe
2013-07-20, 02:26 PM
3.5: The wizard in my game solves pretty much everything by making himself invisible and summon monsters ... and thats about it.

I need some sort of creepy blind scenting teleporting etheral and quite intelligent monster to take him down - or force him to do something else. His spot and listen checks are good.
The party is level 6.

You could just have him go up against another caster with banishment/dismissal prepared or is maybe carrying a scroll or two of it.

Immabozo
2013-07-20, 03:39 PM
This is just for fun, dont care CR, nor HD, nor AC or speed.

I came up with an idea for a monster. In every D&D I've been in or heard of, every guy wants to get with the pretty lady who obviously is't a monster.

So lets make that it's hook! Normal human (at least appears to be) and has poison on her lips or something.

RFLS
2013-07-20, 03:47 PM
Soul Trapper

Type: Plant
HD: 6d8 (54 HP)
Initiative: -1
Speed: 20 feet, 20 climb
AC: +8 natural
Attacks: +12 4 tentacles
Damage: 4 tentacles (1d8+7)
Special Attacks: entangle at will, thinaun tentacles, Improved Grab
Special Qualities: Regeneration 5/fire or slashing, plant traits, Hide in Plain Sight
Saves: Fort 9, Reflex 1, Will 2
Abilities: Str 24, Dex 8, Con 18, Int 3, Wis 10, Cha 14
Skills: Stealth +6 (+16 in rocky terrain or foliage)
Feats: Improved Grapple, Greater Grapple, Power Attack (-2/+4)
Grapple: +13

Entangle (Su): At will, as a standard action, a soul trapper can cause vines to burst from the ground, entangling its foes. This functions as the spell entangle, with the following changes: it only affects a 10 foot radius area, its range is reduced to 30 feet, and it uses the soul trapper's average grapple roll (23) for the Reflex save required.

Thinaun Tentacles (Su): When a creature dies to a soul trapper's natural attacks, that creature's soul is automatically trapped withing the soul trapper. This effect is instantaneous, and prevents all resurrection magics short of a wish or true resurrection from raising the slain creature. A soul trapped in this manner may also be released by utterly incinerating the soul trapper's body.

Improved Grab (Ex): Whenever a soul trapper strikes a creature with its natural attacks, it automatically gets a free grapple attempt (+13).

Regeneration (Ex): Whenever a soul trapper takes damage, it automatically heals it at a rate of 5 HP/round. This regeneration is bypassed by fire or slashing damage.

Plant traits (Ex):

Low-light vision.
Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, morale effects, patterns, and phantasms).
Immunity to paralysis, poison, polymorph, sleep effects, and stunning.
Proficient with its natural weapons only.
Not proficient with armor.
Plants breathe and eat, but do not sleep.

Hide in Plain Sight (Ex): Whenever a soul trapper is in rocky terrain or foliage, it can make a Stealth check to hide in plain sight. This negates observation and the need for concealment.

Soul Eater

Size: Gargantuan
HD: 16d8 (203 HP)
Initiative:
Speed: 40 feet, 50 climb
AC: (+15 natural, -4 size)
Attacks: 12 tentacles
Damage: 12 tentacles
Special Attacks: entangle at will, thinaun tentacles, Improved Grab, Create Spawn
Special Qualities: Regeneration 10/fire, plant traits, Hide in Plain Sight
Saves: Fort 17, Reflex 4, Will 6
Abilities: Str 34, Dex 8, Con 24, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 14
Skills: Stealth +13 (+23 in rocky terrain or foliage)
Feats: Improved Grapple, Greater Grapple, Power Attack, Skill Focus (Stealth), Darkstalker, Improved Trip, Greater Trip, Toughness
CR: 11
Grapple: +24
Trip: +24

Entangle (Su): At will, as a standard action, a soul eater can cause vines to burst from the ground, entangling its foes. This functions as the spell entangle, with the following changes: it only affects a 20 foot radius area, its range is reduced to 60 feet, and it uses the soul eater's average grapple roll (34) for the Reflex save required.

Thinaun Tentacles (Su): When a creature dies to a soul eater's natural attacks, that creature's soul is automatically trapped withing the soul eater. This effect is instantaneous, and prevents all resurrection magics short of a wish or true resurrection from raising the slain creature. A soul trapped in this manner may also be released by utterly incinerating the soul eater's body.

Improved Grab (Ex): Whenever a soul eater strikes a creature with its natural attacks, it automatically gets a free grapple attempt (+24).

Create Spawn (Ex): Up to five times a day (5/day), as a full round action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity, a soul eater may create 1d3 soul trappers. These soul trappers must be adjacent to the soul eater, and are under its direct control.

Regeneration (Ex): Whenever a soul eater takes damage, it automatically heals it at a rate of 10 HP/round. This regeneration is bypassed by fire damage.

Plant traits (Ex):

Low-light vision.
Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, morale effects, patterns, and phantasms).

Hide in Plain Sight (Ex): Whenever a soul eater is in rocky terrain or foliage, it can make a Stealth check to hide in plain sight. This negates observation and the need for concealment.

TuggyNE
2013-07-20, 06:07 PM

I came up with an idea for a monster. In every D&D I've been in or heard of, every guy wants to get with the pretty lady who obviously is't a monster.

So lets make that it's hook! Normal human (at least appears to be) and has poison on her lips or something.

Isn't that just a Succubus, or to a lesser extent a Medusa?

Greencap
2013-07-20, 06:56 PM
For the quest my party is going on, they are trying to track down the the three pieces of the God of War's coat of arms, which are hidden among three temples. I am looking for a memorable guardian boss monster for the God of War's full plate armor based on this premise: a dire mantis shrimp with a CR of around 10. Thanks in advance.

Werephilosopher
2013-07-21, 05:26 PM
Could you build me a creature like the terror troopers from Force Unleashed II, but instead of humans with advanced technology make them undead fueled by shadow magic? I'm looking for a human-shaped creature with claw attacks, capable of sudden bursts of speed. Maybe a "Dash" special ability to boost speed every couple of rounds, and an ability like the Telflammar Shadowlord prc's "Shadow Pounce" to slice at enemies at the end of a Dash. I'd like them to be weak enough that three level-6 characters could defeat 4 or 5 of them at a time, but strong enough to make that a challenge. Thanks!

Werephilosopher
2013-07-21, 05:37 PM
Also, perhaps there could be a regular, mindless version that gets created artificially and is used for swarm attacks, but a stronger and intelligent variety born of someone who dies while using shadow walk?

relytdan
2013-07-21, 05:45 PM
single monster needed - group of 6 levels 12+ -looking for supreame ( red mist ) damage per hit, good to excellent resistances, good AC - any climate, terraign or locations

Novawurmson
2013-07-21, 10:50 PM
Soul Trapper

HD: 6d8 (54 HP)
Speed: 20 feet, 20 climb
AC: +8 natural
Attacks: +12 4 tentacles
Damage: 4 tentacles (1d8+7)
Special Attacks: entangle at will, thinaun tentacles, Improved Grab
Special Qualities: Regeneration 5/fire or slashing, plant traits, Hide in Plain Sight
Saves: Fort 9, Reflex 1, Will 2
Abilities: Str 24, Dex 8, Con 18, Int 3, Wis 10, Cha 14
Skills: Stealth +6 (+16 in rocky terrain or foliage)
Feats: Improved Grapple, Greater Grapple, Power Attack (-2/+4)
Grapple: +13

Entangle (Su): At will, as a standard action, a soul trapper can cause vines to burst from the ground, entangling its foes. This functions as the spell entangle, with the following changes: it only affects a 10 foot radius area, its range is reduced to 30 feet, and it uses the soul trapper's average grapple roll (23) for the Reflex save required.

Thinaun Tentacles (Su): When a creature dies to a soul trapper's natural attacks, that creature's soul is automatically trapped withing the soul trapper. This effect is instantaneous, and prevents all resurrection magics short of a wish or true resurrection from raising the slain creature. A soul trapped in this manner may also be released by utterly incinerating the soul trapper's body.

Improved Grab (Ex): Whenever a soul trapper strikes a creature with its natural attacks, it automatically gets a free grapple attempt (+13).

Regeneration (Ex): Whenever a soul trapper takes damage, it automatically heals it at a rate of 5 HP/round. This regeneration is bypassed by fire or slashing damage.

Plant traits (Ex):

Low-light vision.

Hide in Plain Sight (Ex): Whenever a soul trapper is in rocky terrain or foliage, it can make a Stealth check to hide in plain sight. This negates observation and the need for concealment.

Soul Eater

HD: 16d8 (203 HP)
Initiative:
Speed: 40 feet, 50 climb
AC: (+15 natural, -4 size)
Attacks: 12 tentacles
Damage: 12 tentacles
Special Attacks: entangle at will, thinaun tentacles, Improved Grab, Create Spawn
Special Qualities: Regeneration 10/fire, plant traits, Hide in Plain Sight
Saves: Fort 17, Reflex 4, Will 6
Abilities: Str 34, Dex 8, Con 24, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 14
Skills: Stealth +13 (+23 in rocky terrain or foliage)
Feats: Improved Grapple, Greater Grapple, Power Attack, Skill Focus (Stealth), Darkstalker, Improved Trip, Greater Trip, Toughness
Grapple: +24
Trip: +24

Entangle (Su): At will, as a standard action, a soul eater can cause vines to burst from the ground, entangling its foes. This functions as the spell entangle, with the following changes: it only affects a 20 foot radius area, its range is reduced to 60 feet, and it uses the soul eater's average grapple roll (34) for the Reflex save required.

Thinaun Tentacles (Su): When a creature dies to a soul eater's natural attacks, that creature's soul is automatically trapped withing the soul eater. This effect is instantaneous, and prevents all resurrection magics short of a wish or true resurrection from raising the slain creature. A soul trapped in this manner may also be released by utterly incinerating the soul eater's body.

Improved Grab (Ex): Whenever a soul eater strikes a creature with its natural attacks, it automatically gets a free grapple attempt (+24).

Create Spawn (Ex): Up to five times a day (5/day), as a full round action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity, a soul eater may create 1d3 soul trappers. These soul trappers must be adjacent to the soul eater, and are under its direct control.

Regeneration (Ex): Whenever a soul eater takes damage, it automatically heals it at a rate of 10 HP/round. This regeneration is bypassed by fire damage.

Plant traits (Ex):

Low-light vision.

Hide in Plain Sight (Ex): Whenever a soul eater is in rocky terrain or foliage, it can make a Stealth check to hide in plain sight. This negates observation and the need for concealment.

Ooooh, I like it. I think with PF, making Entangle work like Black Tentacles might another way of explaining how it works.

Thanks!

D20ragon
2013-07-22, 07:41 AM
Oriental adventures themed mind flayer
Don't really care about cr.
One more.need a good side quest monster.all I have to go with is a name:breath stealer.

RFLS
2013-07-22, 10:00 AM
Got something for an animal companion for a 14th level gestalt druid's animal companion? The druid is the BBEG, and is currently trying to destroy arcane magic (aritifact poisioning the source of arcane magic, killing everyone with access to it at random, more likely based on how much magic/ how powerful the magic they use is, etc, etc... Its what the campaign is based around, but the players don't know what's killing the magic yet.) Oh, and the druid is a centaur, that might be important to know.

I can come up with something, I suppose. Is there anything in particular you want, or that I should avoid? For instance, dinosaurs.

The party is level 6.

Heheh. I can do that.

Great thread! I love what you've done so far.

For one of my groups :smallsmile:

I need a snake/snake-like thing that can challenge a level 11 gestalt group. I want slithery beast to be a somewhat re-occurring encounter which later leads to a plot arch, so either an interesting progression or something that they can do in numbers would be interesting.

Of note, the group has a variety in strengths, but most are strong melee/beatstick type characters with good grapple/trip/to hit/smashing abilities. Lowish magic. Their saves vary from moderate to strong. However they're fairly flexible melee--think ToB characters on one side.

Hmmm.....I have something in mind. I'll brew you up something along the lines of a linnorm.

PF: A Daemon that serves both as an agent of Pestilence and Hunger. A bloated creature that can be (fatally) mistaken for an undead.

On it. Preferred CR?

For the quest my party is going on, they are trying to track down the the three pieces of the God of War's coat of arms, which are hidden among three temples. I am looking for a memorable guardian boss monster for the God of War's full plate armor based on this premise: a dire mantis shrimp with a CR of around 10. Thanks in advance.

This is going to be fun. I'm thinking that, in addition to being a melee monster, its armor should have a bit of a prismatic effect going on.

Could you build me a creature like the terror troopers from Force Unleashed II, but instead of humans with advanced technology make them undead fueled by shadow magic? I'm looking for a human-shaped creature with claw attacks, capable of sudden bursts of speed. Maybe a "Dash" special ability to boost speed every couple of rounds, and an ability like the Telflammar Shadowlord prc's "Shadow Pounce" to slice at enemies at the end of a Dash. I'd like them to be weak enough that three level-6 characters could defeat 4 or 5 of them at a time, but strong enough to make that a challenge. Thanks!

Also, perhaps there could be a regular, mindless version that gets created artificially and is used for swarm attacks, but a stronger and intelligent variety born of someone who dies while using shadow walk?

I can do this. Might not even need anything but regular class levels.

single monster needed - group of 6 levels 12+ -looking for supreame ( red mist ) damage per hit, good to excellent resistances, good AC - any climate, terrain or locations

This is pretty vague. I feel like you might be better served by pulling something out of the MM. Might I suggest an adult red dragon (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Red_Dragon) with the Loredrake template? That's somewhere around a CR 16 encounter.

Ooooh, I like it. I think with PF, making Entangle work like Black Tentacles might another way of explaining how it works.

Thanks!

Not a problem; I had fun with that one. Lemme know how it goes when you inflict it on your players.

One more.need a good side quest monster.all I have to go with is a name:breath stealer.

I'll see what I can do.

RFLS
2013-07-22, 10:24 AM
For Harlot:

Arcanicide

Type: Aberration
HD: 8d8 (63 HP)
Speed: 20 move, 40 burrow
AC: 20 AC (+8 natural, +3 Dex, -1 size), 12 touch, 17 flat-footed
Attacks: 2 claws (+10), bite (+10)
Damage: 2 claws (1d6+4), bite (2d4+4)
Special Attacks: grapple (+12)
Special Qualities: Tremorsense 60 feet, stoneshape at will, wall of stone 3/day, Improved Grab
Saves: Fort +5, Reflex +5, Will +6
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 8
Skills: Pretty irrelevant. It's not going to be making checks.
Feats: Mage Slayer, Blind Fight, Pierce Magical Concealment
CR: 5

Tremorsense (Ex): An arcanicide has tremorsense out to a distance of 60 feet.

Spell-like Abilities: An arcanicide may use stoneshape as the spell at will, and wall of stone as the spell 3 times per day. The caster level for each of these is 4, and the save is 13 (10+1/2 HD+Cha mod).

Improved Grab (Ex): Whenever an arcanicide connects with one of its claw attacks (but not its bite attack), it initiates a grapple attempt (+12) as a free action.

This is an ambush predator. It will fight very, very well if you can somehow draw the party into some tunnels. The three feats it has are very important. They let it completely ignore the effects of invisibility. Use the SLAs to block the wizard off from the party, and be sure to have the stats for unworked stone on hand. If the party is inattentive or cocky, this has a high likelihood of killing a squishy party member.

If you want to be extra nasty, or you don't feel that this will be enough of a fight, include this poison on its bite attack

Poison (Ex): Whenever an arcanicide's bite attack deals damage to an arcanist, the arcanist must immediately make a Fortitude saving throw or be affected by this poison. On failing a Fort save of DC 17 (10+1/2 HD+Con mod), the arcanist's caster level is lowered by 1 for the purposes of determining spell effects and for piercing spell resistance. This effect lasts for 1 minute, and stacks with itself.

And, finally, if you're playing for keeps, give it SR 16.

Svata
2013-07-22, 10:35 AM
As long as it could exist in a forest environment, its ok.

RFLS
2013-07-22, 11:12 AM
For Mishkov:

Plague Linnorm

Type: Dragon
HD: 20d12
Speed: 50 move, 120 fly (poor), 50 burrow, 50 climb
AC: (+20 natural, -4 size)
Attacks: 2 claws (+26), 2 bites (+26), tail (+26)
Damage: 2 claws (1d8+10), 2 bites (2d8+15), tail (2d6+15)
Special Attacks: Breath weapon, constrict, death curse
Special Qualities: freedom of movement, DR 10/cold iron, regeneration 10/fire, immune to cold, curse effects, mind-affecting, paralysis, poison, and sleep,
Saves: Fort +19, Reflex +13, Will +15
Abilities: Str 30, Dex 12, Con 24, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 14
Skills: Hide +12, Spot +26, Listen +26, Balance +24, Jump +49, Climb +41
Feats: Power Attack, Improved Multiattack, Improved Grapple, Martial Study (Sudden Leap), Leap Attack, Ability Focus (Breath Weapon), Greater Multiattack
CR:

Breath Weapon (Su): A plague linnorm has two types of breath weapon. The first type is a cone of acid. This deals 12d10 acid damage, and has a Reflex save, DC 29 (10+1/2 HD+Con mod+Ability Focus) for half.

The second type is a cloud of noxious gasses. This weapon allows a Fort save, DC 29 (10+1/2 HD+Con mod+Ability Focus). If the targets fail the Fort save, they become nauseated for 2d4 rounds.

A plague linnorm can use its breath weapon every 1d4 rounds. Because it has 2 heads, it can breathe twice on the same standard action. If it chooses to breathe only once, the recharge time is reduced by 1 round (to a minimum of 1).

Constrict (Ex): Once per round, whenever a plague linnorm has successfully made a grapple check against an opponent with its tail, it deals constrict damage automatically. This damage is equal to its normal tail damage.

Death Curse (Su): This is a little goofy. Most linnorms have a death curse, which is a curse effect inflicted upon their slayer. However, I had an idea here: Whenever a plague linnorm is slain, 2 more will rise from its body. The only way to prevent this is complete incineration of the body. And yes. I have watched Hellboy recently. What do you think?

EDIT: Whatever you decide, I'll write a complete description for the ability. I suggested this one because it would definitely set things up to continue challenging the players.

Freedom of Movement (Su): A plague linnorm is treated as though being permanently under the effects of a freedom of movement spell. This ability cannot be dispelled, although it is suppressed when subject to an antimagic field.

Deox
2013-07-22, 11:32 AM
I approve of this thread, and have a challenging request.

Currently running an epic gestalt game (21st level), group has been stranded inside a malfunctioning Living Vault that is roughly 25,000 cubic miles large. While searching for a means to escape, they have stumbled upon a keep with matching map fragments.

The keep is laid out, along with some wandering monsters, traps, the hole nine. Guarding access to the inner cloister was going to be an aspect of X, where, upon defeat, would grant access to deeper layers and eventual freedom to the material plane.
Go hog wild with this one.

ArqArturo
2013-07-22, 12:31 PM
On it. Preferred CR?

I think CR 10 will fit nicely.

Sugashane
2013-07-22, 01:14 PM
Awesome thread idea. I actually have two creatures I was thinking about throwing at my group from the Shannara series and Final Fantasy II respectively. I'll ask for the Jachyra first.

Information on the Jachyra

A Jachyra is a beast of terrifying nature. It is known for its awe-inspiring strength, and for its ability to kill even the most powerful of characters in the world of Shannara. It is a ancient creature which was believed to have been brought from a time before the dawn of Man by the servants of the Ildatch: the Mord Wraiths. The creatures were profoundly evil, relishing in the pain they brought with their poisonous, razor sharp teeth and claws. However their greatest advantage was that they fed off their own pain. Pain enraged them, fed them, making them even more deadly. It is beleived only a mage could kill the Jachyra but Garet Jax proved otherwise and slew it with his blade.

Among the names of its victims are Allanon, arguably the strongest of the Druids, and Garet Jax, the legendary weapons master.

The Jachyra is described as being/having:

-"Man-shaped in appearance"
-Long arms
-Strong, lean, and heavily muscled
-Skin of a "strange reddish color, drawn tight against its body "
-Hairless except for a thick ruff that grew about its loins
-Great hooked claws that curled from its fingers and toes
-The face of a "grotesque beast, blunt and scarred"
-Yellow eyes
-A "hideous grin" a mass of "crooked teeth"
-A sharp cry almost like a laugh; "hideous laughter"
-Sometimes walks on all fours
-"Spikes along the length of its spine"

It can be seen as a bit of a cross between a demon, a hyena, and a gorilla. As it is man-like but with long arms, and with a cry that sounds like laughter, but with the overall characteristics that surely make it a demon.

I'd like the CR to be at least 15 and size to be large, but really the rest is up to you. Thank you!

RFLS
2013-07-22, 01:19 PM

single monster needed - group of 6 levels 12+ -looking for supreame ( red mist ) damage per hit, good to excellent resistances, good AC - any climate, terraign or locations

I approve of this thread, and have a challenging request.

Currently running an epic gestalt game (21st level), group has been stranded inside a malfunctioning Living Vault that is roughly 25,000 cubic miles large. While searching for a means to escape, they have stumbled upon a keep with matching map fragments.

The keep is laid out, along with some wandering monsters, traps, the hole nine. Guarding access to the inner cloister was going to be an aspect of X, where, upon defeat, would grant access to deeper layers and eventual freedom to the material plane.
Go hog wild with this one.

Awesome thread idea. I actually have two creatures I was thinking about throwing at my group from the Shannara series and Final Fantasy II respectively. I'll ask for the Jachyra first.

Information on the Jachyra

A Jachyra is a beast of terrifying nature. It is known for its awe-inspiring strength, and for its ability to kill even the most powerful of characters in the world of Shannara. It is a ancient creature which was believed to have been brought from a time before the dawn of Man by the servants of the Ildatch: the Mord Wraiths. The creatures were profoundly evil, relishing in the pain they brought with their poisonous, razor sharp teeth and claws. However their greatest advantage was that they fed off their own pain. Pain enraged them, fed them, making them even more deadly. It is beleived only a mage could kill the Jachyra but Garet Jax proved otherwise and slew it with his blade.

Among the names of its victims are Allanon, arguably the strongest of the Druids, and Garet Jax, the legendary weapons master.

The Jachyra is described as being/having:

-"Man-shaped in appearance"
-Long arms
-Strong, lean, and heavily muscled
-Skin of a "strange reddish color, drawn tight against its body "
-Hairless except for a thick ruff that grew about its loins
-Great hooked claws that curled from its fingers and toes
-The face of a "grotesque beast, blunt and scarred"
-Yellow eyes
-A "hideous grin" a mass of "crooked teeth"
-A sharp cry almost like a laugh; "hideous laughter"
-Sometimes walks on all fours
-"Spikes along the length of its spine"

It can be seen as a bit of a cross between a demon, a hyena, and a gorilla. As it is man-like but with long arms, and with a cry that sounds like laughter, but with the overall characteristics that surely make it a demon.

I'd like the CR to be at least 15 and size to be large, but really the rest is up to you. Thank you!

These are the monsters that I haven't gotten to so far that I'm aware of. Missing anything?

ExtravagantEvil
2013-07-22, 03:00 PM
To my players please stay out :smallsmile:
Here's my idea, spoiled for security's sake

The "Ellen Trechend (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ell%C3%A9n_Trechend)", a 3 headed fire breathing vulture of irish mythos.
Something that isn't instant death to go against, for this is for an E6 game, so no one will ever be higher than 6th level, but I want it to be intimidating to go up against and Feel like a mythic beast to go up against.
I feel like it would be interesting to see Dragon Hit Dice used to simulate this, and perhaps some effects similar to the Pyrohydra, but am not quite sure how to make it come together nicely and be a truly mythic, life threatening challenge.
Something in the range of CR 8, huge sized would be nice :smallsmile:

Help me RFLS you're my only hope!

137beth
2013-07-22, 04:32 PM

The Slinky Golem

These are the monsters that I haven't gotten to so far that I'm aware of. Missing anything?
I think you missed mine.

RFLS
2013-07-22, 04:37 PM
I think you missed mine.

Huh. I definitely quoted yours. It looks like there's a limit on the number of quotes you can have stacked up at once. Annoying....

Regardless, you're at the top of the list. No worries.

Svata
2013-07-22, 06:17 PM
I know you're probably working on mine, since you asked if I needed anything specific, but mine's not listed either. Just so you know.

Dimers
2013-07-22, 06:17 PM
Dire Tribble (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribble), please. :smalltongue: Start at 4 HD and Medium size, with advancement as high as ... oh, say, 32 HD and Gargantuan. Please include maneuvers/stances that you feel to be appropriate extensions of the source material. :smallamused:

Mishkov
2013-07-22, 06:26 PM
For Mishkov:

Plague Linnorm

HD: 20d12
Speed: 50 move, 120 fly (poor), 50 burrow, 50 climb
AC: (+20 natural, -4 size)
Attacks: 2 claws (+26), 2 bites (+26), tail (+26)
Damage: 2 claws (1d8+10), 2 bites (2d8+15), tail (2d6+15)
Special Attacks: Breath weapon, constrict, death curse
Special Qualities: freedom of movement, DR 10/cold iron, regeneration 10/fire, immune to cold, curse effects, mind-affecting, paralysis, poison, and sleep,
Saves: Fort +19, Reflex +13, Will +15
Abilities: Str 30, Dex 12, Con 24, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 14
Skills: Hide +12, Spot +26, Listen +26, Balance +24, Jump +49, Climb +41
Feats: Power Attack, Improved Multiattack, Improved Grapple, Martial Study (Sudden Leap), Leap Attack, Ability Focus (Breath Weapon), Greater Multiattack
CR:

Breath Weapon (Su): A plague linnorm has two types of breath weapon. The first type is a cone of acid. This deals 12d10 acid damage, and has a Reflex save, DC 29 (10+1/2 HD+Con mod+Ability Focus) for half.

The second type is a cloud of noxious gasses. This weapon allows a Fort save, DC 29 (10+1/2 HD+Con mod+Ability Focus). If the targets fail the Fort save, they become nauseated for 2d4 rounds.

A plague linnorm can use its breath weapon every 1d4 rounds. Because it has 2 heads, it can breathe twice on the same standard action. If it chooses to breathe only once, the recharge time is reduced by 1 round (to a minimum of 1).

Constrict (Ex): Once per round, whenever a plague linnorm has successfully made a grapple check against an opponent with its tail, it deals constrict damage automatically. This damage is equal to its normal tail damage.

Death Curse (Su): This is a little goofy. Most linnorms have a death curse, which is a curse effect inflicted upon their slayer. However, I had an idea here: Whenever a plague linnorm is slain, 2 more will rise from its body. The only way to prevent this is complete incineration of the body. And yes. I have watched Hellboy recently. What do you think?

EDIT: Whatever you decide, I'll write a complete description for the ability. I suggested this one because it would definitely set things up to continue challenging the players.

Freedom of Movement (Su): A plague linnorm is treated as though being permanently under the effects of a freedom of movement spell. This ability cannot be dispelled, although it is suppressed when subject to an antimagic field.

That is fun!! I like the death curse too. What CR would you give that?

CR in gestalt is such a pain :smalleek:

ArqArturo
2013-07-23, 02:59 PM
Dire Tribble (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribble), please. :smalltongue: Start at 4 HD and Medium size, with advancement as high as ... oh, say, 32 HD and Gargantuan. Please include maneuvers/stances that you feel to be appropriate extensions of the source material. :smallamused:

That is... Awesome!.

relytdan
2013-07-26, 08:04 AM
"This is pretty vague. I feel like you might be better served by pulling something out of the MM. Might I suggest an adult red dragon with the Loredrake template? That's somewhere around a CR 16 encounter"

I went vague to leave open plenty of options if I wanted a red dragon I would use it. - was hoping to see something that I had not thought of.

Dimers
2013-07-28, 08:16 PM
I'm sorry, I hope I didn't break the thread ... RFLS was moving along swimmingly until I posted. :smalleek:

Also: *bump*

RFLS
2013-07-28, 08:38 PM
Crap on a cracker, I'm back, everyone! Had a crazy few days with work/getting ready for vacation, but I'm back in business. For our first contender, we have the....Slinky Golem!

Type: Construct
HD: 17d10
Initiative: +2
Speed: 40 feet
AC: 31 AC (+20 natural, -1 size, +2 Dex), 11 touch, 29 flat-footed
Attacks: 2 slams (+21)
Damage: 2 slams (2d10+10)
Special Attacks: Entwine, Jump Attack, Improved Grab
Special Qualities: Construct Traits, DR 10/Adamantine, immunity to magic, low-light vision
Saves: Fort 5, Reflex 7, Will 5
Abilities: Str 30, Dex 14, Con --, Int --, Wis 10, Cha 1
Skills: Jump +25 (+10 racial)
Feats: --
CR: 12

Jump Attack (Ex): A slinky golem may, as a full round action, make a Jump check and move up to the maximum distance allowed by the check, towards an enemy. At the end of this movement, it makes a full attack against the opponent it has jumped towards. This attack is treated as a charge.

Entwine (Ex): When a slinky golem uses its Jump Attack against an opponent one size or more smaller than it, it forgo its normal attacks and instead choose to land in the opponent's square. The opponent must then make a Reflex save against the slinky golem's Jump check. If it fails the check, it is treated as grappled by the slinky golem. The golem does not have to take any actions to maintain this grapple, although the trapped party is allowed to make escape attempts as normal against the original Jump check.

Improved Grab (Ex): Slinky golems possess the Improved Grab special quality.

Immunity to Magic (Ex): A slinky golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. Certain spells function differently against the creature, as noted below.

Any spell which deals cold damage also halves the golem's land speed (with the corresponding decrease in its Jump check) for 1d4+1 rounds.
Entangle's penalty to Dexterity is doubled; however, any creature trapped within the golem by its Entwine special attack takes 6d8 crushing damage (no save) until it escapes or the golem is no longer entwined.

RFLS
2013-07-28, 11:05 PM
And one for Greencap!

Prismatic Crawler

Type: Magical Beast
HD: 14d10 (137 HP)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 50 feet, 50 swim
AC: 26 AC (+14 natural, +4 Dex, -2 size), 12 touch, 22 flat-footed
Attacks: 2 claws (+23, 17-20/x3), 1 bite (+21)
Damage: 2 claws (1d8+9), 1 bite (2d6+4)
Special Attacks: Pistol Whip
Special Qualities: Darkvision 120, Tremorsense 60, low-light vision, SR 18, Prismatic Reflection, Jet, DR 5/-
Saves: Fort 13, Reflex 13, Will 4
Abilities: Str 28, Dex 18, Con 18, Int 3, Wis 11, Cha 5
Skills: Jump +26, Tumble +21, Balance +21
Feats: Improved Multiattack, Power Attack, Ability Focus (Pistol Whip), Improved Critical (Claws), Enhanced Critical (Claws)*

Pistol Whip (Ex): In place of its claw attacks, a prismatic crawler may use a pistol whip attack. For this attack, it targets the flat-footed AC of its opponent. If the attack hits, it deals double the crawler's Strength damage (18), and the opponent must make a Fortitude save, DC 23 (10 + 1/2 HD + Con mod + Ability Focus) or be stunned for 1d4 rounds.

Prismatic Reflection (Su): If a prismatic crawler's spell resistance negates a spell that deals energy damage, that spell is instead reflected on its caster as though by spell turning.

Jet (Ex): As a full round action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity, a prismatic crawler may scoot itself through the water up to a distance of 400 feet.

*This is a made-up feat. It's used to increase the multiplier on the claws to x3, as I felt that the creature was already deadly enough with the Pistol Whip attack potentially forcing two saves a round.

This should be an extraordinarily tough fight for a mid-OP party, I think. However, it could be easily subverted if they happen to target its Will save with something that doesn't allow SR.

RFLS
2013-07-28, 11:45 PM
For ExtravagantEvil!

Ellén Trechend

HD: 8d12 (81 HP)
Speed: 40 feet, 60 fly (poor)
AC: (+15 natural, -1 dex, -2 size)
Attacks: 3 bites (+14)
Damage: 3 bites (2d6+6)
Special Attacks: Breath Weapon
Special Qualities: SR 14, DR 5/-
Saves: Fort 11, Reflex 7, Will 7
Abilities: Str 22, Dex 8, Con 16, Int 1, Wis 8, Cha 14
Skills: Jump +19
Feats: Power Attack, Ability Focus (Breath Weapon), Martial Study Sudden Leap)
CR: 8

Breath Weapon (Su): In place of a bite attack, an Ellén Trechend can instead use a breath weapon. This breath weapon is a 20-foot cone of flame. Any creature caught in the cone must make a Reflex save, DC 19 (10 + 1/2 HD + Con mod + Ability Focus) for half against 3d6 fire damage.

Sudden Leap (Ex): Once per encounter, an Ellén Trechend may make a Jump check as a Swift action, moving the indicated distance.

This is a very simple, very tough creature with one surprising, possibly encounter-ending trick. I'd recommend setting it in a rocky environment, in such a way that makes it incredibly likely that the creature gets a surprise round.

RFLS
2013-07-29, 12:10 AM

I'm a bit perplexed here; Tribbles don't get bigger, they just...multiply. Rapidly. Are you just after a massive furball? =P

Dimers
2013-07-29, 01:34 AM
I'm a bit perplexed here; Tribbles don't get bigger, they just...multiply. Rapidly. Are you just after a massive furball? =P

Well, generally speaking, here in the "real world" weasels and tigers don't grow much bigger either, but their D&D Dire versions do. (Rats I would believe. Rats really do get friggin' huge if they keep eating well.) I just thought it'd be a little silly t-- yes, I know how that sounds, but really, I thought it would be sillIER to have a creature that can attain 20+ HD with neither significant growth nor class levels. And clearly the Dire Tribble must be capable of tremendous HD, or else how do they uphold their end of the vicious feud with the orcs Klingons? Save DC for the purring trill of doom would presumably be based largely on HD ...

But yeah, I'm just after a massive furball :smallbiggrin: One might describe this exercise as a harmless outlet for my Chaotic Good wackiness, lest I start stealing from the rich to give to the poor, or go support third-party candidates in hopeless elections, or tell my uptight boss to remove the rod from his bottom, or something similarly self-destructive like that. :smallsmile:

Duboris
2013-07-29, 10:11 AM
The creature I've been wrapping my head around for quite some time is rather large, and a play on the workings of rust monsters. Essentially it's a large, dragon-like lizard with a big belly, and a wide, wide mouth that can consume a medium creature as a full round action.

Inside of this thing is rust monster fluid galore, enough to totally coat whatever gets swallowed in the juices and cause absolute mayhem on whoever's the unfortunate. This effect does an ungodly amount of damage to metallic constructs, or golems of the size.

This is for pathfinder.

It's got a rather strong crunch of a bite, and it's claws aren't exactly in place to use properly, so it's only primary attack is the bite. I had the idea for a lick touch attack that had the same effect as a rust monster.

On a final note, the creature is capable of expelling it's bodily contents via a 20 foot vomiting cone to do both acid damage and the rust effect. (It's stomach also does acid damage)

It's covered in rocky protrusions, as well, so it will likely have a natural armor bonus. It's complacent enough not to attack anything, so long as rust monsters are plentiful to be eaten, so it hang out around them, and often competes to eat metal... and them.

It's body is built like a tank, with great strength and con, but it's dexterity, wisdom, and intelligence are lack luster. The beasts are somewhat grand to look at when they're not fighting, however, so their charisma sits at a crude 11.

Hit me >:D

Svata
2013-07-30, 04:49 PM
I'm assuming that the gestalt druid's animal companion is in the works?

Katana1515
2013-07-30, 06:34 PM
Looking for a sort of Demonic Troll capable of soloing a gestalt level 7 party.
Its been acting as the chieftain to a troublesome clan of forest trolls and should hopefully getting his just deserts soon. however I would like the fight to be fairly dynamic so he cant just be a beatstick trading blows round after round. Im thinking some SLA's might help with this like Dimension Door? Improved Invisibility? Mirror Image? (its a fairly optimised party so feel free to throw something extra in)

Thanks by the way this thread is awesome

RFLS
2013-07-30, 08:40 PM
For Svata, the....

Wolverine-Ape!

Type: Animal
HD: 11d8 (99 HP)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 30 feet, 15 climb
AC: (+10 natural armor, +5 dex, -1 size)
Attacks: 2 claws (+18) and 1 bite (+16)
Damage: 2 claws (1d6) and 1 bite (1d8)
Special Attacks: Rage, Rend
Special Qualities: Link, Share Spells, Evasion, Devotion, Multiattack
Saves: Fort 11, Reflex 12, Will 4
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 20, Con 19, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills: Climb +15, Listen +15, Spot +15, Jump +22
Feats: Multiattack, Combat Reflexes, Mage Slayer, Pierce Magical Concealment, Improved Grapple, Blind Fight
Grapple modifier: +15 (+17 in Rage)
CR: --

Rage (Ex): Whenever the wolverine-ape takes damage in combat, it flies into a berserk rage on its next turn as a free action, clawing and biting madly until either it or its opponent is dead. An enraged wolverine-ape gains +4 Strength, +4 Constitution, and –2 AC. The creature cannot end its rage voluntarily.

Rend (Ex): Whenever a wolverine-ape deals damage to an opponent with both of its claws in one round, it deals an extra 2d6+10 damage.

Evasion (Ex): As the monk class feature.

Devotion (Ex): A wolverine-ape gains a +4 on Will saves made against enchantment effects.

For combat, the wolverine-ape should get as close to an enemy mage as it possibly can. It'll function as a lock-down character, keeping pesky mages that haven't buffed themselves down as well as it can. You'll notice I've given him an extra feat; I figured it would be reasonable enough in a gestalt game. If he's not powerful enough, let me know. I have an idea or two in that direction. For now, though, he's a powerful lock-down character. Also, it looks like a really burly, humanoid wolverine. Because I can.

unseenmage
2013-07-30, 09:56 PM
An Ethereal Filcher type of monster except that it expressly lives in extradimensional spaces.
They live off of and pinpoint Plane Shift between Handy Haversacks, Portable Holes, Rope Tricks and the like.

They should be a bit more vicious than the normal Ethereal Filcher and have the ability to transport themselves between extradimensional spaces which open onto the same plane and whose apertures are a certain distance apart.

Palanan
2013-08-05, 04:56 PM
Okay, here's my request:

I'd like a creature suited to the open ocean, to be encountered in a warm, shallow sea between 60 and 100 ft. down. The benthic substrate is primarily silt and seagrass, but there can be rocky outcrops or remnants of coral if necessary. (No shipwrecks, please.)

I'd like the creature to be a challenge for a small party (2-3 PCs, 1-2 NPCs) of fourth or fifth level. "Horror from the depths" is good, or "mysterious sea creature" in general. Preference for something generally nonmagical, definitely no SR, maybe a touch of DR. Intelligence, tactics, up to you. Not all the PCs will have access to water breathing or other magical support (a diving bell will be involved) so that's something to be aware of.

Looking forward to what you come up with.

:smallamused:

Harlot
2013-08-08, 02:10 PM
Hi, sorry I haven't responded to this, vacation hit me and I was stuck at exotic places with no WIFI:

RFLS - I LOVE the Arcanicide, specially handy now that the wizard has started to make 'Tiny hut' which conceals the whole party at night - basically making him annoying 24/7 ... The Arcanicide won't mind the hut, with pierce magical concealment :-)
What do you recon it looks like? What did you visualise making it?

You could just have him go up against another caster with banishment/dismissal prepared or is maybe carrying a scroll or two of it.
Thanks for this - I've used counterspelling, but actually didn't consider banishment (for reasons unknown even to me!) I'll look into that.

Thanks for your help, both of you

Phaederkiel
2013-08-09, 06:33 PM
@ harlot:

are you still having problems handling your wizard?

Xervous
2013-08-09, 06:43 PM
I'm curious how you would implement a facet of a creature whereby it takes lethal damage (of some sort) while in sunlight, but this damage varies based on the intensity of the light striking it and the power level of the creature.

This thing is probably outside the complexity of base DnD though.

unseenmage
2013-08-09, 08:01 PM
I'm curious how you would implement a facet of a creature whereby it takes lethal damage (of some sort) while in sunlight, but this damage varies based on the intensity of the light striking it and the power level of the creature.

Closest things I can think of are the various illumination distances in the PH for the various light sources, the long distances for the same for use in the Underdark, and the various classes that use shadows for transport and/or attacks on a binary (either they're there or they're not) basis.

So yeah, it might be outside the complexity of D&D, but then again, there's plenty of complexity in 3.x to fiddle with.

RFLS
2013-08-09, 11:41 PM
Hi, sorry I haven't responded to this, vacation hit me and I was stuck at exotic places with no WIFI:

RFLS - I LOVE the Arcanicide, specially handy now that the wizard has started to make 'Tiny hut' which conceals the whole party at night - basically making him annoying 24/7 ... The Arcanicide won't mind the hut, with pierce magical concealment :-)
What do you recon it looks like? What did you visualise making it?

Thanks for this - I've used counterspelling, but actually didn't consider banishment (for reasons unknown even to me!) I'll look into that.

Thanks for your help, both of you

I was picturing a massive, burrowing centipede with giant claws out in front. You can really fluff it however, though.

Very much so, yes. I can give it some thought, but my gut says "Nope, not happening."

Palanan
2013-08-09, 11:46 PM
On Xervous' point, couldn't you just scale up the damage die based on the rough degree of sunlight? Say 1d2 for dusk or dawn, 1d4 for early morning, 1d6 for a bright sky, and so on?

It's officially the wee hours for me, and neurons are going spindizzy, but that seemed like an option.

Xervous
2013-08-10, 12:17 AM
On Xervous' point, couldn't you just scale up the damage die based on the rough degree of sunlight? Say 1d2 for dusk or dawn, 1d4 for early morning, 1d6 for a bright sky, and so on?

It's officially the wee hours for me, and neurons are going spindizzy, but that seemed like an option.

If I were to go this way, I'd likely end up with something resembling a THAC0 Table... unfortunately I don't see another way

Harlot
2013-08-11, 09:59 AM
@Phaerderkiel: Thanks for asking! No, with the help of you and the other heroes in here I've managed to challenge the wizard, using counterspelling, clerics (no spellbooks to conquer) and making the rules about scrollmaking clear to him - and myself.
Additionally I've placed them in a snowy wintery landscape (footprints= invisibility sucks), and have decided that at their level 6 average Hound Archons (teleport + scent) make good enemies.
OH, and I use 'hold person' quite a lot, because his will-saves suck.
So overall, yes, I've managed to balance the game :-)

However, he still annoys me, because his default mode for solving everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) is still making himself invisible and summon monsters. It gets kind of tedious, and with the 'Tiny hut' spell even more so, because now the whole party is basically invisible at night.

THAT is why I asked RFLS for a specific monster to solve that - and the Arcanicide is really cool. I think I may portray it as some sort of serpent though.

morkendi
2013-08-11, 12:19 PM
I have 3 players around level 12. I want to make a type of insect swarm that eats magic off item and buffs. I won't them to need to be in a spell effect to reproduce, ie swarm gets bigger. They do no physical harm at all. When starved of magic, they go into a dormant state until they are caught in another spell effect. Very small and hard to spot until the swarm animates.

I kind of imagin them looking like tiny butterflies with glowing wings when active. Weakness would be anti magic field would starve them. Dispell would maybe have a percent chance to force them in a dormant state.

Elricaltovilla
2013-08-11, 01:17 PM
I'm looking for a monster that 1) specializes in applying lots of different status effects and debuffs and 2) is relatively tame and domesticated.

The plan is to use them as guard animals/police K-9 units in a Tippyverse style city. CR should be between 9 and 12 though. Medium size preferred.

Crasical
2013-08-11, 01:31 PM
I have 3 players around level 12. I want to make a type of insect swarm that eats magic off item and buffs. I won't them to need to be in a spell effect to reproduce, ie swarm gets bigger. They do no physical harm at all. When starved of magic, they go into a dormant state until they are caught in another spell effect. Very small and hard to spot until the swarm animates.

I kind of imagin them looking like tiny butterflies with glowing wings when active. Weakness would be anti magic field would starve them. Dispell would maybe have a percent chance to force them in a dormant state.

That sounds almost more like it'd be better modeled as a trap or hazard than a monster.

morkendi
2013-08-11, 02:45 PM
I plan on using them in campaign. Individuals would do nothing noticeable, but swarms would be something different. Maybe have a few hitch a ride to the city which has a lot of magic and start to spread. Have the players deal with something that is not trading damage with them.

unseenmage
2013-08-11, 03:16 PM

There's a Golem Swarm in one of the old 3.0 Dragon magazines that sounds perfect for this. Just reword them to destroy buffs instead of items.

There's another swarm from one of the online supplements. It's a swarm of keys that unlocks doors by disassembling the hinges. Again, a little rewording and you're good to go.
The nice thing about his one is that it automatically puts itself back into the nearest closeable container when it's done too.

Randomocity132
2013-08-12, 07:40 PM
This is a cool thread that needs more attention. More creatures are always nice.