PDA

View Full Version : Light Mage?

rainstorm
2013-07-19, 02:58 PM
So I've been wanting to make a light-based arcane caster for a while, but I don't know where to start. I'll probably go as a sorcerer unless there's a better alternative, like an evoker wizard, but that might be a stretch. The only problem is I don't know of any good feats for this archetype. Are there any feats that add light-based effects to spells or modify damage types? Also, I haven't been able to find many spells with the light description, at least not many per spell level, so any good light spells would be appreciated. Thanks for the help :smallsmile:

Oh, I'll probably include some simple illusions like silent image, invisibility, mirror image, stuff like that as well as prismatic spells.

Gildedragon
2013-07-19, 07:22 PM
Go glimmerfolk
Because of the relatively low number of versatile light spells go Wizard, that way you get to have a number of abilities.
Drop necro and eventually go into rainbow snake worshiper

Andion Isurand
2013-07-19, 07:38 PM
I would go domain wizard and try to customize a domain for yourself.

Waker
2013-07-19, 09:42 PM
Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil might work (CArc). Smite your enemies with the power of rainbows!

Psyren
2013-07-19, 11:30 PM
Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil might work (CArc). Smite your enemies with the power of rainbows!

This - tons of rainbow/prismatic themed spells out there for a lightmage.

Gildedragon
2013-07-20, 01:37 AM
Twin-cast prismatic spray all the way!

Just to Browse
2013-07-20, 04:00 AM
Sunlight eyes (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-mage--58/sunlight-eyes--2839/) from complete mage.

I looked up "light feat" and the results are disheartening. I think your light-ness will need to be very much focused on spells.

Andion Isurand
2013-07-20, 04:14 AM
Here's an altered version of the Umbral Spell feat found in Drow of the Underdark.

Radiant Spell [Metamagic]
You add the light descriptor to a spell you cast.
Benefit: You can alter a burst-, emanation-, or spread-shaped spell so that it gains the light descriptor. The altered spell automatically dispels any spells with the darkness descriptor of the spell's level or lower whose effects overlap or are within the altered spell's area.
For example, an radiant lightning bolt would dispel any ongoing darkness spell of 3rd level or lower in the area of the line. A radiant spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell's actual level.

Khedrac
2013-07-20, 07:34 AM
Radiant Assault from the Spell Compendium is one of the few Light descriptor spells.

J-H
2013-07-20, 08:01 AM
Libris Mortis has a (cleric-based) PRC that gives you free Searing Light and Sunbeam all day long, and an aura that boosts your light spells.

Maginomicon
2013-07-20, 08:33 AM
I am Galstaff, Sorcerer of Light! (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lW7lvUeSVCjUF674oUfEmXwOi0-Q3ssuVd1_B7KiW3s/edit?usp=sharing)

(look mainly at the "Progression" and "Spell List" sections.)

Waker
2013-07-20, 03:42 PM
Libris Mortis has a (cleric-based) PRC that gives you free Searing Light and Sunbeam all day long, and an aura that boosts your light spells.

Master of Radiance. Would mesh well with IotSV if the latter didn't specify arcane progression in the table.

herrhauptmann
2013-07-20, 05:27 PM
Light based cleric might work a little better than sorcerer.

Morninglord and Radiatn Servant would be good prestige classes, and there's more spells out there with the Light descriptor on the cleric list than on the wiz/sorc list.
Also gets you the Luminous Armor spells if you're a preparation caster.

Maginomicon
2013-07-20, 05:33 PM
Master of Radiance. Would mesh well with IotSV if the latter didn't specify arcane progression in the table.Take Sha'ir or Generic spellcaster. Those classes qualify as both arcane and divine.

Anthrowhale
2013-07-20, 07:18 PM
Amongst level 9 spells, Blinding Glory is an all-day SR:No Save:No automatic blinding for all evil creatures that are plausible tactical threats.