PDA

View Full Version : What's the name of this upcoming film?

Cat Dungeon
2013-07-19, 05:24 PM
I remember not too long ago seeing a teaser trailer for an animated film. It's CGI. I'm pretty sure Disney or Pixar (more sure it's Disney, but it could be Pixar). The teaser was just like 30 seconds or so of San Francisco or a similar city, and I remember it's supposed to be an adaptation of a super hero comic. The film isn't out yet (think it comes out 2014), but that's all I remember. Anyone know what I'm thinking of?

Mr.Bookworm
2013-07-19, 05:54 PM
Big Hero 6. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Hero_6_(film))

Cat Dungeon
2013-07-19, 06:03 PM
Big Hero 6. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Hero_6_(film))

Cool, thanks.

Kind of rare to see these types of films in theaters: animated superhero adaptation. I could be wrong, but the only other film I know of like this is Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, and if I recall, that film bombed.

I hope it's good and makes money though. I'd like to see more animated adaptations of superheroes in theaters.

Aotrs Commander
2013-07-19, 06:55 PM
So... four years on from Marvel being bought out and the first animated thing we get out of it is an adaption of an extremely obscure title...?

I don't even.

I just don't even.

Fri
2013-07-19, 11:41 PM
Actually, it sounds cool. And remember, this is Disney animated movie. They can't exactly bring Punisher or something. Or something that's too wacky. Or too well known. In fact, I like their idea of adapting an obscure superhero into disney animated canon.

t209
2013-07-20, 12:16 AM
Remember Animal man? He started as obscure hero until Grant Morrison brought him in 80s.

Mr.Bookworm
2013-07-20, 12:19 AM
I suspect that it's either a test or they're letting the Marvel Movieverse keep a free hand on pick of superheroes. Or both.

If it's a test (similar to Guardians of the Galaxy), they're seeing how well the superhero boom and the Marvel license in specific can translate over to the animated genre. I mean, yeah, the Incredibles, but that's Pixar (wait, holy crap, why isn't Pixar making a Marvel movie?). If they can sell a D-lister team, they can sell pretty much anything.

If it's the other thing, then they're just going with the known moneymaker. If BH6 tanks, then the live-action films haven't really lost anything, because BH6 is a super-obscure property that would probably never get adapted anyway.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-07-20, 01:45 PM
Somewhere, someone on the Internet is going: "MY TIME HAS COME. AWAKEN THE FANDOM."

Karoht
2013-07-26, 11:09 AM
I fully expect to see a Sugar Rush arcade closet in the background somewhere. And maybe hear the theme playing. The setting is a hybrid of San Francisco and Tokyo, so hearing an engrish-y theme like "Sugar Rush" playing would just be sort of right.

Otherwise, this looks excellent, can't wait.

Thrawn183
2013-07-27, 11:35 AM
So... four years on from Marvel being bought out and the first animated thing we get out of it is an adaption of an extremely obscure title...?

I don't even.

I just don't even.

I'm glad to not just get the same story in a different medium.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-07-27, 12:47 PM
I need to see the trailer; but I'm somewhat dissapointed it will be in 3D CG, I always liked better traditionally animated films and I think superhero stories are a perfect fit for that.

Also am I the only one who think the art for the comic is slightly manga-esque (from a quick peek at Google images).

Cikomyr
2013-07-27, 04:39 PM

I don't even.

I just don't even.

It's the best way to evade the nerdrage death threats

Karoht
2013-07-30, 10:37 AM

I don't even.

I just don't even.
Proof of Concept testing.
If they did the Avengers (or related works) and mucked it up, not only does that confuse audiences in regards to continuity, but can actually turn them off from the Live Action offerings. And the last thing they want to do is mess with the Marvel Cinematic Universe (which is planned out past phase 4, we are currently entering phase 2) with this much money and other commitments invested.

Chances are, if it is a Marvel title you want to see and isn't as obscure (or even more obscure) is this, it's probably optioned out for a live action film in the next decade.
Or Fox has the rights to it and is sitting on it *cough*Silver Surfer*cough*

Something obscure gives them WAY more creative license than something well known. For the first collaborative work, this gives both sides of the studio a chance to stretch their legs, be creative, work through a few mistakes, and not have major pressure to produce another work on par with Incredibles or Avengers. Though they probably should aim that high.