PDA

View Full Version : New Character Needed

eggabubu8e
2013-07-19, 06:17 PM
Hello everyone, I am writing here today because our current DnD group has found a new player who wishes to join us. We are a small party of 3 so we will enjoy the company of a new member. The new player in our group has some experience with 4e, but it is minimal. The player in question had no preference in class so my question to all of you is if you can find a good match.
Our group only has access to the Player's Handbooks#1,2,and 3.
The current party so far is:
A Githyanki Warlock|Battlemind-Wizard who plays something akin to Defender.
A Wilden Shaman who is the leader.
And a Halfing Rouge who is our thief and striker.
Everyone is lv.5.

Any class or race that would benefit the group please feel free to suggest.

Joval
2013-07-19, 07:29 PM
Whoa. That's not very many books.

It's really not what you asked for, but if there are three of you, consider getting the D&D insider at WOTC. It's 10 bucks a month split between your group, a character builder with access to everything, full access to the compendium, and access to every Dragon Magazine. Not bad, considering you're only having to pitch in 3 or 4 bucks.

More to your point though, get a Controller. He won't be much good on his own, and wont be the best option for damage, but if your new guy doesn't mind standing back and throwing baddies around, it'd be great for everybody else.

EDIT: I've found that with Controllers, the feats make the man. I had an amazing controller in a previous campaign. He was a Human Psion. The extra feat goes a long way with most classes, and the bonus to an Attribute of your choice works well also.

eggabubu8e
2013-07-20, 12:50 AM
I actually already knew abut the DnD insider, but when I brougt it up with my group they all looked at me like I was retarded. Frankly, all of them are cheap and there is not much I can do about that. Plus I don't want to pay for the account if I'm the only person using it.
The Controller idea is fine, but what class? Any suggestions?

Arkhosia
2013-07-20, 12:54 AM
The classic wizard works well.

Joval
2013-07-20, 09:48 AM
I actually already knew abut the DnD insider, but when I brougt it up with my group they all looked at me like I was retarded. Frankly, all of them are cheap and there is not much I can do about that. Plus I don't want to pay for the account if I'm the only person using it.

I felt the same way, but then I tried it, and within ten minutes everybody that saw it had their characters on it. It's basically ten dollars a month to have access to hundreds of dollars worth of books, and without having to fish through the books for what you need, and it autocalculates everything, including item, feat, power, and miscellaneous enhancements, so no more doing math.

I'll always stick with the Psion, for that purpose. Every turn I changed the battlefield. Unlike other classes, you can spend a feat to gain access to every class feature for every other build for the class (Telepathic, Telekinetic, Shaper). There is a feat that allows you to use class features twice per encounter. At that point, you can daze someone twice, throw people around the battlefield, and with the class features given by the Shaper Focus you can do it from a different room.

They have loads of options. Pound for Pound, they are one of the better controllers, IMO.

Kurald Galain
2013-07-20, 01:07 PM

The best controllers are wizards and invokers, and both are quite playable with just their main book (PHB1/2).

eggabubu8e
2013-07-21, 12:45 AM
Thank you all for your input on my question, I appreciate it greatly. I took this discussion up with our new member and he decided that he would play the group controller: A Deva Invoker. Thank you again for all of your opinions.:smallsmile: