PDA

View Full Version : Giving a battle dancer Heal

Yaitanos
2013-07-20, 12:14 AM
I have a concept for a character, but I need to be able to give a Battle Dancer (the dragon mag base class) heal as a class skill. I'd really rather not have to wait til level 13 to take the prestige class. There a way?

Andreaz
2013-07-20, 12:16 AM
I have a concept for a character, but I need to be able to give a Battle Dancer (the dragon mag base class) heal as a class skill. I'd really rather not have to wait til level 13 to take the prestige class. There a way?You can always ask your dm to swap one of your skills. It's kinda expected.

JeenLeen
2013-07-23, 09:57 AM
I'm unfamiliar with the class, but what is your base class(es). If you can take a tip into any class with Heal as a class skill, you could either try to pump all your points for that level when you take that class and try to get enough ranks that time. Or, there's an feat from Races of Destiny (human-based races book) that lets you use any skill that was a class skill as a class skill no matter what your class is. Dip at a low-level into something offering Heal, and it's always a class skill.

I forget the name of the feat, but something like Easy Learner, I think. I'm sure someone else here would remember. It might require you to be human. Sorry I'm not more help.

The Viscount
2013-07-23, 10:58 PM
The Feat is Able Learner. Heal is unfortunately one of the harder skills to get. The only simple ways I could think of besides the one mentioned above is either Aereni Focus from Player's Guide to Eberron (which requires elf) or being a Glimmerskin Halfling, neither of which is particularly advisable for a battledancer.

Psyren
2013-07-24, 12:12 AM
What race are you? Human Paragon gets to pick one skill and it will be a class skill forever more - you could get Heal that way.

SciChronic
2013-07-24, 12:15 AM
theres always the 1 level factotum dip for all skills as class skills plus trapfinding

Psyren
2013-07-24, 12:19 AM
theres always the 1 level factotum dip for all skills as class skills plus trapfinding

They'll only be class skills on that level though, meaning that if he needs more than 4 ranks in Heal he'll end up right back where he started.

SciChronic
2013-07-24, 12:36 AM
They'll only be class skills on that level though, meaning that if he needs more than 4 ranks in Heal he'll end up right back where he started.

limit for cross-class skills and class skills is Character Level +3

Lateral
2013-07-24, 01:10 AM

The cross-class skills rules are weird. If a skill is cross-class at a certain level, you pay two skill points for each +1, but if you've ever had it as a class skill, the limit is still three above character level.

rexx1888
2013-07-24, 01:15 AM
i was under the impression that it was once a class skill always a class skill, is that not the case :\

Lateral
2013-07-24, 01:24 AM
Nope, sorry. There's a feat for that- Able Learner. You can only take it if you're a human or changeling, though.

Thespianus
2013-07-24, 03:46 AM
Whenever you need anything, the solution is almost always to dip Cloistered Cleric 1. ;)

Works famously in this case too, unless a dip is completely out of the question. You also get a bazillion other awesome features, but you can pour a lot of skill points into Heal.

Vaz
2013-07-24, 03:49 AM
Apprentice Feat?

A_S
2013-07-24, 10:21 AM
Apprentice Feat?
There isn't one that grants Heal.

Far as I can tell, the only way to gain Heal as a class skill on a Battle Dancer without dipping is to be a Glimmerskin Halfling. Since this is for a pre-existing character, I doubt that'll help.

kulosle
2013-07-24, 10:44 AM
There was a feat called Cosmopolitan from forgotten realms. That just let you choose on skill to be a class skill forever, and you get +2 to the skill. But you had to take it at level 1 and you had to be from amn or waterdeep. This was a 3.0 feat though and there is a new version that just gives you +2 to 3 different skills. My group just uses a non region specific version of the old one. It's in no where near broken. If anything it usually a sub optimal way of doing it, but it always feels the best to do it through a feat than to dip a class.

Deadline
2013-07-24, 10:56 AM
i was under the impression that it was once a class skill always a class skill, is that not the case :\

There are two important things when dealing with skills:

1. How much does a rank in the skill cost at this level?
2. What are the maximum number of ranks you can have in a skill at your current level?

Number 1 is easy, if it is currently a class skill, it costs 1 point for each rank you want to buy. If it is currently a cross-class skill, it costs 2 points for each rank you want to buy. If you have the able learner feat, cross-class skills cost only 1 point for each rank you want to buy.

Number 2 is somewhat tricky. If a skill is not (and has not been) a class skill for you at any point before now, then the maximum number of ranks you can have in that skill is equal to (Level+3)/2. If the skill is now (or was at some point before now) a class skill, then the maximum number of ranks you can have in that skill is equal to Level+3.

For example, a Monk 1/Fighter 1 goes to take his second level in Fighter. Tumble is a cross-class skill for Fighter, so it will cost him 2 skill points for each rank of Tumble he wants to buy. However, because Tumble was a class skill for Monk, the maximum number of ranks he can have in it is 6 (because he's taking his third level). If he wanted to buy ranks in, say, Use Magic Device, it would still cost him 2 skill points for each rank (because it is cross-class for a Fighter), and since it has not ever been a class skill for him, the maximum number of ranks he can have in it is 3.

Vaz
2013-07-24, 11:46 AM
There isn't one that grants Heal.

You can make one.

Petrocorus
2013-07-24, 12:40 PM
Golden Dragon heritage grant heal as class skill for all your classes i think.

But IIRC, you need to take it at first level.

If you give us more infos about your race and you intended build, we could advice you better for good dipping.

Edit: It's the Draconic Heritage (Gold) feat from Dragon Magic but it requires the Dragontouched feat from the same book or to be a sorcerer.

Try to look too into the many regional feats an regional backgrounds of Forgotten Realms.

A 2-lvl dip in Paladin of Freedom could also suit you.

supervillan
2013-07-24, 04:10 PM
Versatile Feat from Rokugan. Setting specific material and I think it's 3.0 but it's not at all broken. The feat lets you choose 2 cross class skills to become class skills for ever. It has no prerequisites. Meets your needs.