PDA

View Full Version : On pronouncing usernames

TuggyNE
2013-07-20, 12:37 AM
So, I have a weird username, and while I recently changed the capitalization (thanks, Roland!) to hopefully help people pronounce it better, I think it might still be a little confusing. Anybody else have usernames that are just a bit too clever for their own good, or suggestions on how to help with this sort of thing, or amusing anecdotes? Fire away!

Serpentine
2013-07-20, 12:43 AM
I'd figure mine is pretty straightforward, but sometimes I come across someone who pronounces it "Serpenteen". It weirds me out.

AsteriskAmp
2013-07-20, 12:52 AM
I figured mine would depend on the language of the one reading it... though the intended reading is arah-beau-NEAT-tsu-gah. Alternatively Tea Saving Augur.

Fiery Diamond
2013-07-20, 01:01 AM
I'd figure mine is pretty straightforward, but sometimes I come across someone who pronounces it "Serpenteen". It weirds me out.

You do realize that "Serpenteen" is a valid pronunciation of that word, right? The online Merriam-Webster actually has that as the first listed pronunciation and the one that rhymes with "wine" as the second one. I've actually never heard anyone say it rhyming with "wine," and I would find that weird. Words ending in "ine" that rhyme with "teen" are actually fairly common. After all, you don't say quarantine to rhyme with "wine," do you?

Amidus Drexel
2013-07-20, 01:08 AM
Mine is fraught with no such silly non-phonetical nonsense, and the only differences I can think of would come down to one's accent.

>.>
<.<
...I am guilty of this.

I figured mine would depend on the language of the one reading it... though the intended reading is arah-beau-NEAT-tsu-gah. Alternatively Tea Saving Augur.

That's what that's an anagram of. Huh.

You do realize that "Serpenteen" is a valid pronunciation of that word, right? The online Merriam-Webster actually has that as the first listed pronunciation and the one that rhymes with "wine" as the second one. I've actually never heard anyone say it rhyming with "wine," and I would find that weird. Words ending in "ine" that rhyme with "teen" are actually fairly common. After all, you don't say quarantine to rhyme with "wine," do you?

I think it mostly has to do with how people in different English-speaking countries pronounce some words; she means "Serpentine" to have a specific sound, regardless of how the word might be pronounced overseas.

AsteriskAmp
2013-07-20, 01:10 AM
Mine is fraught with no such silly non-phonetical nonsense, and the only differences I can think of would come down to one's accent.ey/ah-me/my-dahs/doos (ignoring the possibilities of where to place the accent) drack/dreck-sell

TuggyNE
2013-07-20, 01:14 AM
I just realized I forgot to mention this earlier, but the thread was triggered in part by a PM exchange in which a perfectly intelligent poster was most puzzled by how my (newly re-capitalized) name was intended to be pronounced.

The first part rhymes with "buggy", and the last two letters are separate, in case you were curious. :smallamused:

*raises hand* :smalltongue:

Huh. I tried an anagram generator some time ago to attempt to figure out your username, but couldn't determine for sure what it was. And I'm pretty sure that wasn't one of the first 50-100 results, either. :smallwink: Learn something new every day, though!

After all, you don't say quarantine to rhyme with "wine," do you?

Some people probably do. But eh.

Edit:
ey/ah-me/my-dahs/doos (ignoring the possibilities of where to place the accent) drack/dreck-sell

Also, it could be ah-mi-duss. :smallcool:

enderlord99
2013-07-20, 01:18 AM
ey/ah-me/my-dahs/doos (ignoring the possibilities of where to place the accent) drack/dreck-sell

I pronounce it:

A(pple)mi(ddle)dus(tbin) Dreck-sull

Haruki-kun
2013-07-20, 01:19 AM
If you know or have heard Japanese, pretty straight-forward. Ha-ru-ki. "ru" is hard, but the Japanese R sounds similar to the Spanish one, which I taught people to pronounce as if they were just saying a T or a D really fast.

"Kun" as per Japanese pronunciation is closer to "oo" than it is to "uh", so it sounds like "Ha-ru-kee koon"

AsteriskAmp
2013-07-20, 01:23 AM
That's what that's an anagram of. Huh.
Huh. I tried an anagram generator some time ago to attempt to figure out your username, but couldn't determine for sure what it was. And I'm pretty sure that wasn't one of the first 50-100 results, either. :smallwink: Learn something new every day, though!Edit:

Also, it could be ah-mi-duss. :smallcool:I've mentioned its origin once before I believe. But yes; my love of tea is evident in it.

Isn't it the same as ah-me-doos?

I pronounce it:

A(pple)mi(ddle)dus(tbin) Dreck-sull
Same as ah-me-doos?

enderlord99
2013-07-20, 01:29 AM
I've mentioned its origin once before I believe. But yes; my love of tea is evident in it.

Same as ah/me/doos?

...Opple, Meadle, and Doostbin are not words!:smallannoyed:

Serpentine
2013-07-20, 01:32 AM
You do realize that "Serpenteen" is a valid pronunciation of that word, right? The online Merriam-Webster actually has that as the first listed pronunciation and the one that rhymes with "wine" as the second one. I've actually never heard anyone say it rhyming with "wine," and I would find that weird. Words ending in "ine" that rhyme with "teen" are actually fairly common.So? I am aware of that, I just don't care, and it still weirds me out. It's not the common pronunciation where I'm from, and it's not the way I pronounce it.

After all, you don't say quarantine to rhyme with "wine," do you?No, but I also don't pronounce "laughter" to rhyme with "slaughter", nor "eight" to rhyme with "sight"... I could go on.

All the people who've said they pronounce it "teen": you weird me out :smalltongue:

AsteriskAmp
2013-07-20, 01:33 AM
...Opple, Meadle, and Doostbin are not words!:smallannoyed:Ah is a word, Mead and Me are words, Doos (as in scooby-doo pluralised?)

Taet
2013-07-20, 01:33 AM
I thought my name had two syllables. It hasn't. I need to add a mark in the middle.

. . .Words ending in "ine" that rhyme with "teen" are actually fairly common. After all, you don't say quarantine to rhyme with "wine," do you?

I rhyme quarantine with wine and with Serpentine also.

AsteriskAmp
2013-07-20, 01:35 AM
I thought my name had two syllables. It hasn't. I need to add a mark in the middle.Is it pronounced Tah-Yet?

enderlord99
2013-07-20, 01:38 AM
Ah is a word, Mead and Me are words, Doos (as in scooby-doo pluralised?)

BUT THEY SOUND DIFFERENT! ARE YOUR EYES DEAF?!

Serpentine
2013-07-20, 01:38 AM
Ah is a word, Mead and Me are words, Doos (as in scooby-doo pluralised?)Uh... He said:

I pronounce it:

A(pple)mi(ddle)dus(tbin) Dreck-sullWhich is not
Same as ah-me-doos?
:confused:

enderlord99
2013-07-20, 01:39 AM
(stuff)

Thank you very much!

Coidzor
2013-07-20, 02:09 AM

On the other hand, it's only one small step away from making you into a variant martini. And who wouldn't want to try a Serpentini? :smallamused: I'm thinking it'd have to have some creme de cassis for the right kind of violet violence...

Ulysses WkAmil
2013-07-20, 02:24 AM
I get some guff on my last name. wick-AY-mill and WICK-ah-mull are both valid. People sometimes try to mash all of the syllables together, which I understand I guess. Name tag reader at Naka Kon gave up at the "K", which I don't blame him for. Wk was supposed to be like Mc, as in McDonald. WickDonald, sounds normal enough.

Xuc Xac
2013-07-20, 02:58 AM
My username comes from "Xúc Xắc". If you are an expert in the International Phonetic Alphabet, it's pronounced /suːk͡p˧˥35 sak˧˥35/ but if you're not, then don't worry about it. You'll probably never need to say it out loud anyway.

Xuc Xac
2013-07-20, 03:02 AM
And who wouldn't want to try a Serpentini? :smallamused:

Wouldn't that basically be snake wine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_wine) in a cocktail glass?

Dihan
2013-07-20, 03:48 AM

The Oxford English Dictionary, on the other hand, only lists /ˈsɜːpəntaɪn/ - the one that rhymes with 'wine'. It's a case of different strokes for different English-speaking countries.

Aotrs Commander
2013-07-20, 03:52 AM
If I had a currency of choice everytime people misspell mispronounce of otherwise mangle "Aotrs" I would be a very rich Lich. Aotrs seems to lie in that magical region where it is is too simple for people to bother to copy-paste and to complex for them to get it right... "Aorts" is one of the most common, but my Dad still calls it "Ators" (despite the fact he's known about the Aotrs for abot fifteen years and he hears me pronounce like all the time) and I've occasionally seen people write it in other ways as well.

It's a fascinating insight on how humans read or something, I'm sure.

For the record it's the anacronym of Army Of The Red Spear1, and pronounced "A (as is '' 'ey, you"-oat-ers."

1While it is not typical to include "of" and "the" in anacronyms, careful examinination of the remaining letters and parsing it through British phrasing and typical human low-brow mentality will suggest the reason Lord Death Despoil made the deliberate reason to defy convention.

TuggyNE
2013-07-20, 03:53 AM

No; a schwa is not at all the same as a long O.

All the people who've said they pronounce it "teen": you weird me out :smalltongue:

Heh. You're welcome!

If you know or have heard Japanese, pretty straight-forward. Ha-ru-ki. "ru" is hard, but the Japanese R sounds similar to the Spanish one, which I taught people to pronounce as if they were just saying a T or a D really fast.

"Kun" as per Japanese pronunciation is closer to "oo" than it is to "uh", so it sounds like "Ha-ru-kee koon"

That's about what I thought, yeah, although I can't claim to be any sort of Nipponophile. (The most I can say is that I have a second-cousin-by-marriage who lives there.)

Wouldn't that basically be snake wine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_wine) in a cocktail glass?

Thank you for disturbing me enough to banish sleep for the night. I did need to get some more work done, after all!

VariSami
2013-07-20, 04:39 AM
Mine is pretty straightforward... for Finns, that is. Basically it forms a combination of the Finnish word for "crow" and my first name. The pronunciation is:
Va(ndal)ri(g)Sa(ntana)mi(nk)

It has 4 syllables which are pronounced clearly apart:
va-ri-sa-mi (like "mu-ra-sa-me")

dehro
2013-07-20, 04:50 AM
So, I have a weird username, and while I recently changed the capitalization (thanks, Roland!) to hopefully help people pronounce it better, I think it might still be a little confusing. Anybody else have usernames that are just a bit too clever for their own good, or suggestions on how to help with this sort of thing, or amusing anecdotes? Fire away!

are you saying no tugging is involved?

So? I am aware of that, I just don't care, and it still weirds me out. It's not the common pronunciation where I'm from, and it's not the way I pronounce it.
No, but I also don't pronounce "laughter" to rhyme with "slaughter", nor "eight" to rhyme with "sight"... I could go on.

this reminds me of this here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enIlx5gEO9M) joke

edit: the H is silent

Serpentine
2013-07-20, 05:04 AM
Wouldn't that basically be snake wine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_wine) in a cocktail glass?1. A friend of mine had some of that. Never tried it, though.
2. Why would you suggest such a thing? :smallfrown:

Brother Oni
2013-07-20, 05:09 AM
My user name's fairly obvious, although only Selpharia from The Idolmaster 2 Let's Play noticed that it's a bilingual joke. :smalltongue:

I think of it as 'teen' as the 'tine' version is the name of a lake over here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serpentine_%28lake%29) and I didn't want to cast aspersions on your character by association with a common body of water. :smalltongue:

dehro
2013-07-20, 05:13 AM
brother brother? or brother ogre?

Aedilred
2013-07-20, 05:24 AM
If I had a currency of choice everytime people misspell mispronounce of otherwise mangle "Aotrs" I would be a very rich Lich. Aotrs seems to lie in that magical region where it is is too simple for people to bother to copy-paste and to complex for them to get it right... "Aorts" is one of the most common, but my Dad still calls it "Ators" (despite the fact he's known about the Aotrs for abot fifteen years and he hears me pronounce like all the time) and I've occasionally seen people write it in other ways as well.

For the record it's the anacronym of Army Of The Red Spear1, and pronounced "A (as is '' 'ey, you"-oat-ers."

1While it is not typical to include "of" and "the" in anacronyms, careful examinination of the remaining letters and parsing it through British phrasing and typical human low-brow mentality will suggest the reason Lord Death Despoil made the deliberate reason to defy convention.
To be honest, if you're going to choose an (unconventionally styled) acronym, then display it as if it's not an acronym, including a diphthong with very few precedents in English, you deserve everything you get when it comes to pronunciation. :smalltongue:

thubby
2013-07-20, 05:33 AM
people seem to not read mine. I use it as a tag in other games and people have called me "thug" and "thud"

and when i use the full "thubgar" people just don't know what to do. is there something im missing?

Brother Oni
2013-07-20, 06:40 AM
brother brother? or brother ogre?

Yup: Oni Oni or Oni-san Oni.

Calling someone an 'oni' in Japanese has the same implication as calling someone an ogre in English (ie a terrible/bad person), so the actual meaning can range from the innocent 'big brother Ogre' to 'mean big bro' to a shorthand for 'my older brother is an unpleasant person'.

Not bad for 兄 鬼.

dehro
2013-07-20, 06:45 AM
Yup: Oni Oni or Oni-san Oni.

Calling someone an 'oni' in Japanese has the same implication as calling someone an ogre in English (ie a terrible/bad person), so the actual meaning can range from the innocent 'big brother Ogre' to 'mean big bro' to a shorthand for 'my older brother is an unpleasant person'.

Not bad for 兄 鬼.

funny how it had been staring me in the face for so long and I only noticed when you drew attention to it. it's not like I know many other japanese expressions to begin with, lol.

Derjuin
2013-07-20, 07:16 AM
I've had a ton of people ask me how my username is pronounced, and to be honest, I really don't know exactly. I actually like to hear other peoples' ideas on how it is pronounced before telling them :smallwink:.

I say it "der-SCHJOO-win". Like der, then the second G in "garage", then OO-win.

Serpentine
2013-07-20, 07:20 AM
Oh good. That was about how I pronounce it - maybe with a softer "j" and more of a "y" for the "u".

Traab
2013-07-20, 07:28 AM
Tr like when you say tree, aab as in "Look at the abs on THAT guy!" I have had people pronounce it as Traa as in tray and b as in bus. But nope,

John Cribati
2013-07-20, 07:36 AM
Tr like when you say tree, aab as in "Look at the abs on THAT guy!" I have had people pronounce it as Traa as in tray and b as in bus. But nope,

I always pronounced your name like the word "throb."

Anyway, I'm... not entirely sure how my username would be pronounced in Latin. I assume people go with "her-PEST-id-eye," but I wouldn't be surprised if someone lookd at it and went "Herpes-tid-ay."

FinnLassie
2013-07-20, 07:45 AM
I don't think my name could be any less straightforward. :smalltongue: Although, at least us Finns pronounce the e at the end. *shrug*

Traab
2013-07-20, 07:45 AM

Anyway, I'm... not entirely sure how my username would be pronounced in Latin. I assume people go with "her-PEST-id-eye," but I wouldn't be surprised if someone lookd at it and went "Herpes-tid-ay."

herpes today. /nod :smallbiggrin: Seriously, I thought her pest today. With an I as in idiot sound instead of an o for today.

mistformsquirrl
2013-07-20, 07:49 AM
Mine is mist - form - squirrel; it's just crammed together as one word since the first place I started using it wouldn't allow a 17 character username (and a lot of places since don't either; including here where I have to leave out the e in squirrel).

Course most people call me Mist, Misty or Squirrel, and a few Mistform. All are fine though Misty and Squirrel are probably my preferred.

HuskyBoi
2013-07-20, 08:07 AM
I have to say, I'm still not sure I'm sure how yours is pronounced TuggyNe! Is it tug-eye-KNEE? That'd be my guess.

I get told mine is spelt incorrectly more often than I care to mention, but since it's usually shortened to Husky that's not really a problem!

BWR
2013-07-20, 08:08 AM
Mine is pronounced Throatwobbler Mangrove.

Mauve Shirt
2013-07-20, 08:16 AM
It rhymes with Grove. Look it up. Taupe has the same vowels.

*ahem* Just a little public service announcement.

John Cribati
2013-07-20, 08:23 AM

That's an odd way to pronounce "Shirt." :smalltongue: *unbigged because reasons*

tassaron
2013-07-20, 08:48 AM
tuh-SAHR-rin

I don't care when people say it wrong. It's a bit non-self-explanatory. :P

Malak'ai
2013-07-20, 08:48 AM
Mines pronounced Mal-Ack-Kai. Or Mal for short.

@Serpentine: I pronounce your name as if it rhymed with turpentine.

The Rose Dragon
2013-07-20, 08:59 AM
Umm. I have no idea. English has no phonetic standard, and I suck at writing in IPA. For all I know, you are pronouncing Rose as "rō-say". That's not how it's pronounced. Stop it.

Serpentine
2013-07-20, 09:00 AM
@Serpentine: I pronounce your name as if it rhymed with turpentine.That's not actually helpful :smalltongue: So I'll just assume you say turpentine the same way I do.

Mauve Shirt
2013-07-20, 09:01 AM
Slurp In Tine

Malak'ai
2013-07-20, 09:13 AM
That's not actually helpful :smalltongue: So I'll just assume you say turpentine the same way I do.

Well I've never heard it pronounced turpenteen :smalltongue:.
And seeing as I believe you're just across the ditch from me*, we most likely would pronounce it similarly.

*I think I remember someone mentioning where you hail from.

Taet
2013-07-20, 09:22 AM
Is it pronounced Tah-Yet?

"ye" is not a natural sound to me. The e is soft and short. But that is close enough to make me happy.

BUT THEY SOUND DIFFERENT! ARE YOUR EYES DEAF?!

After that you have to pass the Mary or marry or merry test along with me.

On the other hand, it's only one small step away from making you into a variant martini. And who wouldn't want to try a Serpentini? :smallamused: I'm thinking it'd have to have some creme de cassis for the right kind of violet violence...

I had to check again to see that it wasn't Kneenibble talking here.

Coidzor starts the same as Cointreau. And I think Coidzor has three syllables but the id is so quiet and short it is almost not there at all.

tuh-SAHR-rin

I would almost say that if it had two Rs instead of one. The ron will sound too soft to be an i even if it has two Rs.

Cuthalion
2013-07-20, 09:52 AM

Yep, that's me. :smalltongue:

I'm Coo-Thaw-Lee-Own

John Cribati
2013-07-20, 10:03 AM

I'm Coo-Thaw-Lee-Own

And all this time, I thought it was a long a.

Cat Dungeon
2013-07-20, 10:13 AM
Well, mine is two actual words so I don't think there should be a problem.:smallwink: But if there is, it's just how one would pronounce the words "Cat," and "Dungeon," with Cat proceeding Dungeon and no additional words.:smallwink:

Ionbound
2013-07-20, 10:16 AM
People seem to pronounce mine wrong all the time so...

Fire-day-mon

Gnomes2169
2013-07-20, 10:26 AM
Alright, mine is simple, right? Well, you probably don't know that the pronunciation of my username's number is "21" "69". Not "2169". Pretty much how that works.

Oh, and the G is rather silent.

Mynxae
2013-07-20, 10:40 AM
Apparently some people tend to get my username's pronunciation confused somehow. /shrugs It's Minks-ay. :smalltongue:

Eldan
2013-07-20, 10:44 AM
I won't evne try to write this phonetically in English. Any Germans in the playground should be close enough. First syllable short, second syllable long.

Hazzardevil
2013-07-20, 10:49 AM
I play a few games with people in voice chat programs like teamspeak and especially amongst people who speak English I get weird pronounciations, mostly Northerners, as in Scottish and Northern English people.

I get Huzzah(rd)Deevil or just one of them wrong, but it's supposed to be Hazard (as in a Fire Hazard or a natural disaster)-Devil (As in the things in the abyss) and I'm surprised at how often people do it.

Elemental
2013-07-20, 11:05 AM
I won't evne try to write this phonetically in English. Any Germans in the playground should be close enough. First syllable short, second syllable long.

So, El-dahn, not El-dan? I've been pronouncing it wrong this entire time!

I play a few games with people in voice chat programs like teamspeak and especially amongst people who speak English I get weird pronounciations, mostly Northerners, as in Scottish and Northern English people.

I get Huzzah(rd)Deevil or just one of them wrong, but it's supposed to be Hazard (as in a Fire Hazard or a natural disaster)-Devil (As in the things in the abyss) and I'm surprised at how often people do it.

Hmm... Probably either accent variations or people not realising where the word break is. I've seen that happen before.

As for my own username... It's very self-explanatory. Though I fully expect people with different accents to pronounce it differently, and I fully respect that because it's my fault for choosing a common (for this part of the Internet) word.

FinnLassie
2013-07-20, 11:17 AM
I have to say, from a Finnish perspective, it's been interesting to firstly try to pronounce some of these nicknames, but also figure out how your sense of phonics works when you try to explain the correct pronunciation. :smallcool:

*enjoys the life where everything's said as they're written and letters only have one way to be pronounced*

Coidzor
2013-07-20, 12:31 PM
1. A friend of mine had some of that. Never tried it, though.
2. Why would you suggest such a thing? :smallfrown:

Indeed, a serpentini would be far sexier, for starters. :smalltongue: Also, I'm thinking it'd feature a tiny plastic sword thrust through one of those tiny umbrellas...

I had to check again to see that it wasn't Kneenibble talking here.

Coidzor starts the same as Cointreau. And I think Coidzor has three syllables but the id is so quiet and short it is almost not there at all.

You give a gal some of the best compliments. :smallamused:

Cointreau is something I like. I'm still having to feel out how that pronunciation works though... I might even like it....

Slurp In Tine

That sounds.... wet.... :smallredface: Or like she's been getting too many licks (http://youtu.be/96f0OFRnP1o?t=26s). XD

...Really? I'd always seen and heard it rendered as more like ".mov" :smallconfused:

I don't even know who you are anymore! :smalleek:

Knaight
2013-07-20, 12:41 PM
I get the "knight" pronunciation sometimes, which is understandable. The proper pronunciation is "Nate", and as my name is fully phonetic this is probably pretty clear.

Serpentine
2013-07-20, 12:51 PM
Slurp In Tinehttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/Avatarables/Serpentine/Serpyslurpy.gif

Fredaintdead
2013-07-20, 02:37 PM
Fredaintdead = Fred [p]aint dead. Simply using Fred for short is fine however. :smallsmile:

Serpentine, I admit to having pronounced your name wrong, because I was under the impression that the "tine" part was pronounced as teen[ager] rather than [valen]tine.

Brother Oni
2013-07-20, 03:13 PM
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/Avatarables/Serpentine/Serpyslurpy.gif

All we need now is you in that hat you wore while over here in the UK and we'd have a Derpy Serpy Slerpy. :smalltongue:

Kymme
2013-07-20, 03:26 PM
It's funny, actually, how many people pronounce my name as 'Kimmee'. My original idea was to have it rhyme with lime. :smalltongue:

Amidus Drexel
2013-07-20, 03:28 PM
It's funny, actually, how many people pronounce my name as 'Kimmee'. My original idea was to have it rhyme with lime. :smalltongue:

And here I've been pronouncing it Kim. :smallamused:

Aotrs Commander
2013-07-20, 03:29 PM
To be honest, if you're going to choose an (unconventionally styled) acronym, then display it as if it's not an acronym, including a diphthong with very few precedents in English, you deserve everything you get when it comes to pronunciation. :smalltongue:

Possibly, but that doesn't explain the constant misspelling, nor my Dad's inability to pronounce it right after nearly twenty years of fairly constant usage...!

Tell a lie, it's more like over twenty years...

Cuthalion
2013-07-20, 03:33 PM

I thought it was Key-mmeh.

Coidzor
2013-07-20, 03:53 PM
Fredaintdead = Fred [p]aint dead. Simply using Fred for short is fine however. :smallsmile:

Serpentine, I admit to having pronounced your name wrong, because I was under the impression that the "tine" part was pronounced as teen[ager] rather than [valen]tine.

I prefer the teen since it does an almost... slant(?) rhyme with dream, and who wouldn't want serpentine dreams? Has a nice ring to it, I'd thought. XD Serp-in-tine just sort of makes me think of her wrapped around a fork, which just sort of goes weird... DX

I thought it was Key-mmeh.

I thought it was more like Kai-mmm with a silent e at the end.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/Avatarables/Serpentine/Serpyslurpy.gif

XD I'd forgotten about that avatar!

Fredaintdead
2013-07-20, 04:06 PM
I prefer the teen since it does an almost... slant(?) rhyme with dream, and who wouldn't want serpentine dreams? Has a nice ring to it, I'd thought. XD Serp-in-tine just sort of makes me think of her wrapped around a fork, which just sort of goes weird... DX

You've got me singing Malibu Nights by Tenacious D now. I hope you're happy.

Aedilred
2013-07-20, 05:29 PM
Possibly, but that doesn't explain the constant misspelling, nor my Dad's inability to pronounce it right after nearly twenty years of fairly constant usage...!
Sorry, Ators, it must drive you crazy.

TuggyNE
2013-07-20, 08:25 PM
are you saying no tugging is involved?

this reminds me of this here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enIlx5gEO9M) joke

Only very indirectly.

I have to say, I'm still not sure I'm sure how yours is pronounced TuggyNe! Is it tug-eye-KNEE? That'd be my guess.

Like "buggy" and then the two last letters (which are capitalized for a REASON! :smalltongue:) are separate. (So more of tug-gee-en-ee.)

Basically, it would be Tuggy N E if I wasn't lazy and smushing it all together.

(I feel sure by this time that people will still somehow get it slightly wrong, but I'm not sure I can help that! :smalltongue:)

tuh-SAHR-rin

Bwah? That's not how those letters look! :smallfrown:

I woulda said tass-ah-rohn.

Well I've never heard it pronounced turpenteen :smalltongue:.

You have now! Boom.

I always secretly pronounced it hazard-evil. Close enough I guess.

And here I've been pronouncing it Kim. :smallamused:

Me too, actually. Silent Es for the win.

Sorry, Ators, it must drive you crazy.

Now you've done it! :smalleek:

Thufir
2013-07-20, 08:48 PM
I say it "der-SCHJOO-win". Like der, then the second G in "garage", then OO-win.

Is that the second g in an English garage or the second g in an American garage?

Amidus Drexel
2013-07-21, 12:44 AM
(I feel sure by this time that people will still somehow get it slightly wrong, but I'm not sure I can help that! :smalltongue:)

Me too, actually. Silent Es for the win.

On that note, I'd been pronouncing yours tuhgg-yihnn. :smallamused:

Arkhosia
2013-07-21, 01:08 AM
Mine is pronounced "Ark-hose-e-a".
NOT
•Are-Chose-e-a
Or
•Are-cho zy a

SaintRidley
2013-07-21, 01:16 AM
TuggyNE - thanks to your new capitalization, I will always now pronounce your name as either "Tuggy Northeast" or "Tuggy Neutral Evil" depending on which comes to mind first.

SiuiS
2013-07-21, 01:52 AM
I'm a fun one. I'm synesthetic enough that my name isn't about sound, at all. I use sigh-ooh-iss, with sigh truncated and no syllable distinct enough from the next or last sufficiently to make it feel like any hard stops or real directional changes. Kinda like S'uis I suppose. Although more Japanese vowel sounds work too, as do other variants, depending on which color I want to present or enjoy being presented with.

SiuiS is a dull, watery hunter's green carved in stone with worn and occasionally chipped edges, a smooth, non-giant granite or an unpolished marble texture.

I just realized I forgot to mention this earlier, but the thread was triggered in part by a PM exchange in which a perfectly intelligent poster was most puzzled by how my (newly re-capitalized) name was intended to be pronounced.

The first part rhymes with "buggy", and the last two letters are separate, in case you were curious. :smallamused:

I actually saw the newer capitalization and wondered if I ha just not been paying attention for this whole time.

You're much more dark red, now.

Huh. I tried an anagram generator some time ago to attempt to figure out your username, but couldn't determine for sure what it was. And I'm pretty sure that wasn't one of the first 50-100 results, either. :smallwink: Learn something new every day, though!

Yeah, I am rather glad to know that now!

So? I am aware of that, I just don't care, and it still weirds me out. It's not the common pronunciation where I'm from, and it's not the way I pronounce it.
No, but I also don't pronounce "laughter" to rhyme with "slaughter", nor "eight" to rhyme with "sight"... I could go on.

Luckily, I regularly mentally pronounce sounds which don't and cannot exist. So I'm still wrong, but safe!

Oh man, that sounds delicious~! I could totally go for a serpentini.
Dammit Coid, now I'm thirsty!

I get some guff on my last name. wick-AY-mill and WICK-ah-mull are both valid. People sometimes try to mash all of the syllables together, which I understand I guess. Name tag reader at Naka Kon gave up at the "K", which I don't blame him for. Wk was supposed to be like Mc, as in McDonald. WickDonald, sounds normal enough.

Given the internet bein what it is, I would just use a welsh W and call it a wash until I heard it spoken correctly.

Yeah. It's common to read to first and last letter and fudge the internals, that's apparently how words are read. I used to not do that, but nowadays... Well, it doesn't help I get dyslexic as I get tired, lemme tell you!

Almost pronounced it right, neat.

My user name's fairly obvious, although only Selpharia from The Idolmaster 2 Let's Play noticed that it's a bilingual joke. :smalltongue:

Heh.

Woohoo! Got it!

:smallredface: guilty...

That's not actually helpful :smalltongue: So I'll just assume you say turpentine the same way I do.

Even Americans say turpentine the right way, luv. No worries~

Too many M's for lime, luv. It weights the word towards the center, indenting the sound. Like, your name is a trampoline, and the extra M is like a guy standing off center, pushing into the middle.

Kymme
2013-07-21, 02:07 AM
Too many M's for lime, luv. It weights the word towards the center, indenting the sound. Like, your name is a trampoline, and the extra M is like a guy standing off center, pushing into the middle.

That's... that's a pretty hilarious analogy right there.

But actually, writing my name as Kyme just looks ugly to me. And it would mean that my name wouldn't have five letters, which would sever all ties with one of my favorite youtubers, Twime.

Maybe I'm just being silly about it. Too late to go back now. :smalltongue:

TuggyNE
2013-07-21, 03:46 AM
On that note, I'd been pronouncing yours tuhgg-yihnn. :smallamused:

So you can see why I decided to fiddle with it!

TuggyNE - thanks to your new capitalization, I will always now pronounce your name as either "Tuggy Northeast" or "Tuggy Neutral Evil" depending on which comes to mind first.

LOL. The funny thing is that neither of those is at all apropos. But, y'know, c'est la vie.

SiuiS is a dull, watery hunter's green carved in stone with worn and occasionally chipped edges, a smooth, non-giant granite or an unpolished marble texture.

And now I know why your avatar has that color.

I actually saw the newer capitalization and wondered if I ha just not been paying attention for this whole time.

:smalltongue::smallamused:

You're much more dark red, now.

Huh. Interesting.

Basically, yes. (Also, very colorful metaphor. The Tugster approves.)

Lord Raziere
2013-07-21, 04:52 AM
Mine should be obvious: Rah-zee-air

just saying. is alls.

but Ra-zeer is also acceptable.

Edit:
I've had a ton of people ask me how my username is pronounced, and to be honest, I really don't know exactly. I actually like to hear other peoples' ideas on how it is pronounced before telling them :smallwink:.

I pronounce it incredibly weirdly. "der-hu-een", which doesn't even make any sense, cause j's aren't pronounced that way.

dehro
2013-07-21, 05:12 AM

just saying. is alls.

Edit:

I pronounce it incredibly weirdly. "der-hu-een", which doesn't even make any sense, cause j's aren't pronounced that way.

I've been calling you Lord Brassiere all this time. was that wrong?

TuggyNE
2013-07-21, 07:40 AM

just saying. is alls.

Yes, but how do you pronounce that weird first word??

Mauve Shirt
2013-07-21, 08:12 AM

Not ray-jee-er?

John Cribati
2013-07-21, 12:12 PM

just saying. is alls.

Edit:

I’ve been saying “raise- year” this whole time.

And js are pronounced like that in Spanish…

Hazzardevil
2013-07-21, 01:44 PM
I always secretly pronounced it hazard-evil. Close enough I guess.

I'm surprised people even recognise me after my lack of posting for the past few months.

I’ve been saying “raise- year” this whole time.

And js are pronounced like that in Spanish…

I thought it was raise-ier as in a brazier.

Castaras
2013-07-21, 02:27 PM
Cass-tarr-ass.

KuReshtin
2013-07-21, 04:08 PM
It doesn't really matter to me how people pronounce my user name.
The forum didn't allow me to add the apostrophe that's supposed to be just before the R, but having that there might have been a bit of help getting the same pronunciation that I use.

Still, anyone calling me Ku when they meet me will get my attention.

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2013-07-21, 04:22 PM
Pretty sure no one has trouble with mine.

For those of you who I have been mispronouncing, thank you for the pronounciation guide. This does not mean you, Aotrs. For those of you who are about to make a joke about not knowing how to pronounce my username, allow me to raise one eyebrow and glare preemptively.

Razanir
2013-07-21, 04:26 PM

Well I'm not sure what Latin has to do with it, being derived from Greek :smallconfused: But if you insist on pronouncing it as Latin, I can offer two different versions:

*Classical Latin (Ancient Rome)– her-PES(T)-ti(n)-die
*Ecclesiatical Latin (Modern religious usage)– (h)er-PES(T)-ti(n)-day

Mine is pronounced Throatwobbler Mangrove.

Your name isn't Raymond Luxury Yacht :smallconfused:

Now for mine: Well I'm not even sure how it's pronounced. It's a misspelled version of Pippin's name in Westron. (Never bothered correcting it because it stuck) I at least pronounce it RA(N)-zuh-near. The short form which I use for signing PM's sometimes is Razar, which I pronounce RAY-zahr.

(For anyone interested, Peregrin in Westron is Razanur, and Pippin is Razar)

John Cribati
2013-07-21, 05:45 PM
Well I'm not sure what Latin has to do with it, being derived from Greek.

Really? I swear that the scientific family name things are Latin…

Razanir
2013-07-21, 06:00 PM
Really? I swear that the scientific family name things are Latin…

Herpestes - idae

Herpestes is from Ancient Greek ἑρπηστής (herpestés, "creeping").
-idae is from Ancient Greek εἶδος (eidos, "appearance")

Source– Wiktionary

Coidzor
2013-07-21, 08:11 PM
Cass-tarr-ass.

Ahh... I thought it was Cass-tear-ass. :smallredface:

Mynxae
2013-07-21, 08:41 PM
Ahh... I thought it was Cass-tear-ass. :smallredface:

I must say, I giggled a bit at this. :smallbiggrin:

sktarq
2013-07-22, 12:54 AM
For those that remember me mine is said eS-Kay-Tark (the q being a hard one as it is a shortened version of Tarquin)

SiuiS
2013-07-22, 03:00 AM
That's... that's a pretty hilarious analogy right there.

I hear things visually. It causes problems when I talk art, lemme tell you!

But actually, writing my name as Kyme just looks ugly to me. And it would mean that my name wouldn't have five letters, which would sever all ties with one of my favorite youtubers, Twime.

Maybe I'm just being silly about it. Too late to go back now. :smalltongue:

Yeah, Kyme is blegh XD

just saying. is alls.

Edit:

Yep!

Yes, but how do you pronounce that weird first word??

It's pronounced "Kevin".

BWR
2013-07-22, 03:20 AM
Your name isn't Raymond Luxury Yacht :smallconfused:

STOP OPPRESSING ME!!!!!!!!!!!

Totally Guy
2013-07-22, 06:24 AM

I've been pronouncing yours "Bloody Wed Rommie"

The Rose Dragon
2013-07-22, 06:52 AM

It causes problems when I talk about music, since I make comments like "this song is far too red".

Deathkeeper
2013-07-22, 07:22 AM
My name's pretty easy to pronounce, but that's because I have enough trouble with people getting my actual last name wrong (it's only five letters and two syllables!). I make sure my online names are simple so I don't go nuts.

dehro
2013-07-22, 09:40 AM
I have enough trouble with people getting my actual last name wrong (it's only five letters and two syllables!)..

I hear you... my name is longer, but I've also seen it misspelled (let alone misspronounced) in at least a dozen different ways, some resulting in hilarious double entendres.

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-07-22, 09:52 AM
On XBOX, one person called me a Womb-bat. Also, a Womb of Doom. :smallannoyed:

Who knew Wombat could be such a difficult thing to see/pronounce...

Lycunadari
2013-07-22, 11:51 AM
Mine would be pronounced as if it was a German word, so LÜ-coo-nah-DAH-ree, but I don't mind if someone comes up with a different pronunciation.

Razanir
2013-07-22, 02:40 PM

But it really isn't Raymond Luxury Yacht! It'd be like saying "My name is spelled Apple, but is pronounced Ukulele." It's not! Only Ukulele is pronounced Ukulele. Also, please say I'm not the only one who pronounces Raymond Luxury Yacht "Mangrove Throatwarbler" in his/her head.

I agree. Kymme needs to M's or it just looks weird. Also, I hope you don't mind that I pronounce it like Kimmy (who happens to be my favorite character in Full House). But if you really can't stand the thought of someone pronouncing it like a girls' name, I can change it. (I've already rewired my brain after learning I was pronouncing Cairhien wrong for 5.5 books)

TuggyNE
2013-07-22, 06:10 PM

Wow, that's impressive. And scary.

(I've already rewired my brain after learning I was pronouncing Cairhien wrong for 5.5 books)

Wait. How do you pronounce it? I assumed it was "care-hee-enn" or something along those lines.

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-07-22, 06:30 PM
Wow, that's impressive. And scary.

Wait. How do you pronounce it? I assumed it was "care-hee-enn" or something along those lines.

is it Car- Hi -na?

And yes, scary indeed.

Siosilvar
2013-07-22, 06:51 PM
See-oh. That appears to be the only vowel that anybody has trouble with; the full name is "see-oh-sill-vahr".

And the ones I mispronounce:

Serpenteen. You're not a fork. (Turpentine's not a fork, either.)

Mauve has always been "mahve", not "mohve", regardless of context. I'm unlikely to ever pronounce this correctly, forgive me. Eighteen closer to seventeen, honestly, years of pronouncing "au" as "au" is too much. Interestingly I get "taupe" right.

Despite usually falling back on German pronunciation for funky words (usually gets me close enough), I can't even pronounce Eldan with a long a.

Razanir
2013-07-22, 09:21 PM

I checked the glossary. It's cai (rhymes with eye) ree en (like the letter)

JoshL
2013-07-22, 09:36 PM
I'll assume everyone has mine okay. More than acceptable to ignore the L (though pronounced together, it's sort of funny). My actual last name, it seems, can either be pronounced correctly or spelled correctly by most people, but not both.

Kymme
2013-07-22, 11:13 PM

There's a word for that, I think. Synesthesia. (http://www.wimp.com/experiencesynesthesia/)

I agree. Kymme needs to M's or it just looks weird. Also, I hope you don't mind that I pronounce it like Kimmy (who happens to be my favorite character in Full House). But if you really can't stand the thought of someone pronouncing it like a girls' name, I can change it. (I've already rewired my brain after learning I was pronouncing Cairhien wrong for 5.5 books)

Bof, its good with me. :smallsmile: Feel free to say my name however you like.

Wait, really? Must have been my brother. :smallamused:

TuggyNE
2013-07-23, 02:08 AM
I checked the glossary. It's cai (rhymes with eye) ree en (like the letter)

Curious. Ah well.

Lord Raziere
2013-07-23, 02:13 AM
….judging on how people been pronouncing my name, on second thought, just say my name however you wish, its not like I can hear it anyways, and why bother making it in an issue? I don't mind, not even that "Brassiere" nickname. which I suppose, judging by many avatars I have made, I somewhat deserve. I am secure enough in myself not to be bothered by that.

Psyren
2013-07-23, 07:39 AM
The P is silent.

Haluesen
2013-07-23, 10:22 AM
….judging on how people been pronouncing my name, on second thought, just say my name however you wish, its not like I can hear it anyways, and why bother making it in an issue? I don't mind, not even that "Brassiere" nickname. which I suppose, judging by many avatars I have made, I somewhat deserve. I am secure enough in myself not to be bothered by that.

Hmm some people really pronounce it that way? I looked at it and kinda figured it sounded similar to the name Raziel from Legacy of Kain. :smallsmile: Hope that is close to right.

The P is silent.

I guess that makes sense. Has anyone every really pronounced the P there before? Also, love the avi. :smallbiggrin:

I wasn't going to post in here, but I have had enough friends having trouble with mine that I think it may be necessary. It is pronounced hal (short a sound)-loo-shen. Hope that's helpful.

Coidzor
2013-07-23, 12:23 PM
The P is silent.

Oh, you and your siren song~

Razanir
2013-07-23, 12:41 PM
The P is silent.

Oh. I thought the P was the only non-silent letter.

Diva De
2013-07-23, 02:48 PM
As far as usernames goes, I feel like the person who chose the name has final say-so in its pronunciation. Others may say it wrong - and feel free to correct them. I learned last year that Mauve doesn't rhyme with suave. It rhymes with dove. (as in past-tense jumping into water)

Deathkeeper
2013-07-23, 03:46 PM
As far as usernames goes, I feel like the person who chose the name has final say-so in its pronunciation. Others may say it wrong - and feel free to correct them. I learned last year that Mauve doesn't rhyme with suave. It rhymes with dove. (as in past-tense jumping into water)

Admittedly the only reason I know how to say it right was that one episode of Hey Arnold!

Razanir
2013-07-23, 07:18 PM

Huh. I would have pronounced it like maw, but with an added v at the end

TuggyNE
2013-07-23, 07:27 PM
I wasn't going to post in here, but I have had enough friends having trouble with mine that I think it may be necessary. It is pronounced hal (short a sound)-loo-shen. Hope that's helpful.

Everyone should post here! :smallbiggrin: (Well, except maybe Roland, Rawhide, CoffeeIncluded, Archmage1, Frosty, and such-like obvious pronunciations. :smallwink:)

I agree with you on the first bit, but I'm not sure I can bring myself to pronounce mauve the official way; it sounds too horrible, somehow.

Haluesen
2013-07-23, 07:43 PM
Huh. I would have pronounced it like maw, but with an added v at the end

Everyone should post here! :smallbiggrin: (Well, except maybe Roland, Rawhide, CoffeeIncluded, Archmage1, Frosty, and such-like obvious pronunciations. :smallwink:)

I agree with you on the first bit, but I'm not sure I can bring myself to pronounce mauve the official way; it sounds too horrible, somehow.

Yeah I pronounce it like that too, always have. I think pronouncing it like dove would be hard. :smallconfused:

Hey, even the most basic sounding names may get mixed up by someone. Thank you though. :smallsmile:

Elemental
2013-07-24, 07:49 AM
Mine would be pronounced as if it was a German word, so LÜ-coo-nah-DAH-ree, but I don't mind if someone comes up with a different pronunciation.

Huh... Here I am, concerned that I've gotten it terribly wrong all these months despite apparent phonetic spelling, and I was right.
I've been saying Ly(e)-coo-nah-DAH-ree.

Repeat after me: Grove, grove, grove, grove, grove, mauve.
If that doesn't work, then I don't know what will.

Thespianus
2013-07-24, 11:16 AM
My name was a DnD character who was into theater. So it started off as "Thespian-us" (greek with a latin twist, for funsies) , but as soon as my DM saw it, it became "Thespi-anus".

Fun part? I didn't see it until handing over the character sheet.

So, really, no need to pronounce my name at all, and when I respond to questions in the 3.5 sub-forum, I might be talking out of my a**... :smallamused:

nedz
2013-07-24, 07:12 PM
Mine should be easy enough — it's just the one syllable.

I'm Coo-Thaw-Lee-Own
I always assumed that the last two syllables rhymed with Stallion, especially given your avatar: Cu-thal-leon

Like "buggy" and then the two last letters (which are capitalized for a REASON! :smalltongue:) are separate. (So more of tug-gee-en-ee.)

Basically, it would be Tuggy N E if I wasn't lazy and smushing it all together.

Yeah — I was never sure about how to pronounce yours. Tug-ine was my guess.

Haluesen
2013-07-24, 07:37 PM
Mine should be easy enough — it's just the one syllable.

I always assumed that the last two syllables rhymed with Stallion, especially given your avatar: Cu-thal-leon

Yeah — I was never sure about how to pronounce yours. Tug-ine was my guess.

I'll do my best not to get yours wrong. :smalltongue:

And that's what I thought for Cuthalion as well. I'm glad I get it now though.

My name was a DnD character who was into theater. So it started off as "Thespian-us" (greek with a latin twist, for funsies) , but as soon as my DM saw it, it became "Thespi-anus".

Fun part? I didn't see it until handing over the character sheet.

So, really, no need to pronounce my name at all, and when I respond to questions in the 3.5 sub-forum, I might be talking out of my a**... :smallamused:

Nice with the Greek, sorry it was accidentally sort of fubarred. :smallsmile:

ForzaFiori
2013-07-24, 11:47 PM
Mine can be pronounced two ways, depending on how much of a stickler you are. :P when I created it I didn't know the correct way to pronounce Italian, so I pronounced it "for-zuh fee-or-ee" (the Fiori part is my last name, so I knew how to pronounce it). After learning the language, I found out that the proper pronunciation would be "for-tsa" (the a, in this case, being the a used in romance languages - not sure what the proper term for that is.)

SiuiS
2013-07-25, 12:58 AM

Yay! I got it mostly right!

But it really isn't Raymond Luxury Yacht! It'd be like saying "My name is spelled Apple, but is pronounced Ukulele." It's not! Only Ukulele is pronounced Ukulele. Also, please say I'm not the only one who pronounces Raymond Luxury Yacht "Mangrove Throatwarbler" in his/her head.

Gotta disagree, luv. If your name is spelled B-O-N-Q-W-A-L-L-I-D-A, and it's pronounced "Kevin", then you're Kevin. Name are special in that regard.

See-oh. That appears to be the only vowel that anybody has trouble with; the full name is "see-oh-sill-vahr".

IO is a diphthong that is a slender vowel structure, so the proceeding S is pronounced SH. So you're Sh'yosilvar. :smallbiggrin:

Mauve has always been "mahve", not "mohve", regardless of context. I'm unlikely to ever pronounce this correctly, forgive me. Eighteen closer to seventeen, honestly, years of pronouncing "au" as "au" is too much. Interestingly I get "taupe" right.

I figured taupe was the weird word, myself.

Siosilvar
2013-07-25, 01:01 AM
So you're Sh'yosilvar. :smallbiggrin:

Sh'yo, what's up?

Razanir
2013-07-25, 08:38 AM
Gotta disagree, luv. If your name is spelled B-O-N-Q-W-A-L-L-I-D-A, and it's pronounced "Kevin", then you're Kevin. Name are special in that regard.

Wait, most people don't spell Kevin Bonqwallida?