PDA

View Full Version : Kryptonian without Superman (Movie pitch)

LordChaos13
2013-07-20, 04:12 AM
I just had an idea for a great prequel trilogy. Doing Supes origin WITHOUT SUPES.

Start with an action scene at night, a war between what look like 5/7/11 (depending) 'humans' each in bulkier, more armoured colourswapped Supes uniform (ie capes in green, blue, black, different insignias for each person etc.) and some other race.
Show some small powers, like when an alien knocks away their lasergun hit them with a short-burst eyebeam or a floor collapses under them and they float for a second to let their teammates pull them to safety. Small things that clearly take a toll on them
Show them working together, a few character-developing lines maybe mention some of their names even the one clad in black obviously their leader (though not his last name).
When the battle is over, a victory for the team, have the leader come in "Zod to El, mission accomplished" Scene end

The first movie is about showing off a war with the alien race over many worlds, Zod as the Hero, though forced to comply with the stupid beaucracy that is the Kryptonian Council. Have him slip a few times, go a bit too far or disobey direct orders to save civilians or perform tactical strategies. Zod is the loose cannon warhero improvising and disobeying orders but sometimes delves a bit too deeply into the grey area, starting firmly Heroic, gradually slipping into the grey area between Antihero and Hero.

Jor is his long-term friend and a scientist, coming up with improvements to his weapons and even SunOrbs, short-length (like 2-3 minutes) of glowing that fully infuses Dru-Zod and his team up to Kryptonian-On-Earth levels.
Sun Orbs: Take a little getting used too, cause 'Sunsickness' for the first month or so following first exposure, less time if it is consistent exposure, after which more time under the sun means higher efficiency and ability to use their powers up to a certain point

The enemy uses mostly grunts on-par with the standard Human or Red-Sun kryptonian, but possesses small amounts of Supersoldiers that are incredibly tough to beat unless Sunpowered, meaning the SunOrbs exist to counter those, though they can (and will) be used for other purposes (like super-speed to save civilians or institute a flying assault over entrenched ground defences) but with the price of maybe needing them later

The Council are decadent, likely corrupt and mired in 'The Old Ways' never adapting and constantly losing ground in the war because of that. Dru and Jor get increasingly frustrated over the three movies, to the point the 3rd movie acts as the rebellion staging a coup of Krypton

1st movie: Fighting off the Aliens, world-building, development of the SunOrbs for the final battle with the SuperSoldiers
2nd movie: Winning more battles with the aliens, dealing with the Kryptonian Council's stupid decisions becoming more and more apparent for their lack of complete victory by this point, now the playing field is slightly more even. Ends with Dru-Zod forming the rebellion. Mentions Jor-El having a child born named Kal
3rd movie: Zod building his rebel forces, orchestrating the deaths (mostly by Alien) of loyalist military. Obviously Zod becomes more of a villain ordering civilian deaths directly, orders his followers to KNEEL BEFORE ZOD! and sets Jor as the reluctant 2nd in command trying to advocate a more peaceful approach. 3rd act involves the bloody coup, using an incredibly large SunOrb to power all his forces and render many of the civilians unable to fight back due to Sunsickness. Zod destroys all but 1 of the council chairs and sits in it declaring himself Emperor Dru-Zod.
The Aliens, due to the lack of resistance as all military forces are either dead or attacking Krypton, raze the remaining planets and bear down on Krypton, an epic space clash counterpointing and switching between the following scene:
Jor enters, begins berating Dru for his bloody coup, calls a monster, tyrant etc. Cue sun-boosted fight between tactic master Dru and science Jor. Jor-El using his environment, knowledge of his best friend's fighting style and the palace defenses (hacking them to target Zod just as he had been ordered to target the council members and guards earlier) while Dru-Zod uses his tactical brilliance, massive combat experience and better body (cause Nerd Vs Jock...)
Ends with Zod trapped inside a Phantomzone (or Negativezone or whatev its called) portal, but at the last instant eyebeams Jor in the stomach, straight through and out the other side

Final scene is Jor teleporting home, stumbling to his son's crib, putting it in a pod right as the last space-born defence falls and firing it off. Final shot is the pod flying through the space, Krypton exploding.

MLai
2013-07-20, 04:49 AM
I'd think you would be better off making this movie/trilogy not set in the DC universe, not about Krypton, and not about the ancestors of Superman.

Because when you say "This is the story of Krypton, *without* Superman!" You think you're saying a good thing, but ppl who come to your movie because it's about Krypton will only have one thing on their minds: "Where is goddamn Superman?"

And with the ppl who aren't expecting Superman because they have no idea what Krypton is, then they're going to be thinking "Oh hey, it's the Star Wars prequels again." Because you have to consider, what is your story if you completely remove all the Superman references? Would the audience care, if they're watching Planet X, not Krypton? Can the story stand on its own 2 feet, without DC universe?

LordChaos13
2013-07-20, 04:59 AM
Well I'd hope it would stand on it's own two feet.

Basically it explores what makes a hero and hero, and when is it too late for them?
Is disobeying a direct order right?
To save civilians?
To defeat the enemy rather than lose?
Is it right to overthrow the Council because they are decadent? By force and bloodshed?

The line between Hero and Antihero, Antiohero and Villain and when is it too late to come back into the light?

As for "Where is Superman" well look to Zod, he is a more ruthless version of Supes wearing a similar (albeit darker) costume
Or El, who is the smart scientist wearing Superman's iconic costume
Making it about Krypton and not "Kinda-Human Aliens X" leads to more fleshed out Zod and Brainiac when/if it crosses over with Superman all grown up in Metropolis, Earth.

Hopeless
2013-07-20, 06:31 AM
I'd use this as a means of introducing Brainiac, a failsafe intended to restore the Kryptonian race but due to Zod's tampering it decides to go its own way but uses its quite likely modified memories of Krypton when it faces Kal-El trying to use its doctored historical files to try and turn Kal-El into an ally or render him easier to deal with if it has to fight him.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-07-20, 07:04 AM
Ummm.... bleh?

Sorry just I find myself asking: Do I give a damn about Krypton except for Superman?

And my answer to that is essentially, no.

If done even modestly accurately to how Krypton has evolved it would be like watching a Star Trek with nothing but Vulcans. It might sound interesting but either you do that and create something not very watchable, or you throw out the source material and end up with something more generic.

Eldan
2013-07-20, 07:17 AM
On the other hand, I think Man of Steel might have been slightly more palatable without Superman in it. Not a lot, mind you. But he was so incredibly boring and lifeless. Without him, the better actors might have had something to interact with.

Hopeless
2013-07-20, 02:07 PM
On the other hand, I think Man of Steel might have been slightly more palatable without Superman in it. Not a lot, mind you. But he was so incredibly boring and lifeless. Without him, the better actors might have had something to interact with.

I think the real mistake as shown by that "How it should have ended" video showed was that Zod's presence should have been used as if it were the centre of the movie when it should have introduced Lex Luthor.

The scout ship was activated by Zod's people from afar as they sought a new home to terraform, the US detected the signal and investigated drawing in Kal-El who upon entering and using his key switched off that signal but not before alerting Zod that a member of the House of El did so.

Sotharsyl
2013-07-20, 03:49 PM
I like it but then I also liked the New Krypton arc in the Superman comics and I'm also writting a fanfiction dealing with all the Krypton chracters lives before Krypton blew up.

Dienekes
2013-07-20, 06:27 PM
Well, the best X-Man movie was First Class which got rid of a lot of the big names and instead focused on Charles and Magneto (admittedly big names themselves).

It could work fine. The point of any story is to have good, interesting characters and have good, interesting things happen to them. The death of Krypton could easily be made into such a story.

Though as a story I'd be curious why you'd make it into a trilogy when the first two movies are a sentence or two long and all the interesting stuff happens in the third. It could probably be cut down to only one or two movies.

Cat Dungeon
2013-07-20, 06:36 PM
It's an interesting idea, but I doubt such a trilogy will ever get made. Keep in mind the average movie goer isn't a diehard comic book fan (so even fewer are diehard Superman fans). That said, I doubt a studio will pay millions for a trilogy of films in hopes enough people will spend movie tickets on them to at least break even. I think the closest we'd ever get to this are straight to DVD animated films.

Mutant Sheep
2013-07-20, 06:42 PM
It's an interesting idea, but I doubt such a trilogy will ever get made. Keep in mind the average movie goer isn't a diehard comic book fan (so even fewer are diehard Superman fans). That said, I doubt a studio will pay millions for a trilogy of films in hopes enough people will spend movie tickets on them to at least break even. I think the closest we'd ever get to this are straight to DVD animated films.

This. This movie/s sounds.. Eurgh. Like a two-and-a-half hour episode of Star Wars the Clone Was. "War in SPACE" with Zod seems a strange choice. But as others said... I don't care about Zod's backstory with Jor El. I care about Superman. A whole trilogy of movies focused on Zod being a super powered space marine sounds like an Elseworlds tale told in grit.:smallconfused:

Carry2
2013-07-21, 01:49 AM
I just had an idea for a great prequel trilogy. Doing Supes origin WITHOUT SUPES…
Gods damnit, man. Full stops go at the end of sentences.

As Hopeless suggested, introducing Brainiac might be an interesting angle here, though it's likely a successful superman/justice-league trilogy would have to be done before this had any shot at being greenlit. Given Sotharsyl mentioned it, the prelude to New Krypton (http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-novels/superman-last-son-of-krypton) is about humanising Brainiac and Zod's motivations as they pertain to Krypton's past. I rather liked it, and I actually find the question of Krypton's sociopolitics substantially more interesting than most versions of Supes.

Lateral
2013-07-21, 02:08 AM
I have to say, I think this is a great concept, but for a comic miniseries rather than a film. Making this work requires that your readers really know enough about the Superman mythos to actually care about this stuff, and that means comic books.

paddyfool
2013-07-21, 02:35 AM
Incidentally when I first saw this thread title, I thought you were thinking of something like this (http://vimeo.com/69882318)...

Kitten Champion
2013-07-21, 02:38 AM
I think if you removed the movie, Krypton, and prequel aspects and wrote instead a fantasy/space opera series nominally inspired by your own interpretation of the setting and characterizations you might have an interesting premise. A comic would work fine too, though.

The major issue seems to be expectations - Superman obviously factors in this - but not knowing the inevitable outcome or for the outcome not to be inevitable, would certainly put points in its favour.

Hopeless
2013-07-21, 06:46 AM
Incidentally when I first saw this thread title, I thought you were thinking of something like this (http://vimeo.com/69882318)...

Thank you for the link that was certainly interesting, made me want to know more!

This comes across as if it were the Alternate Superman from where he was adopted by the Waynes so an effective Bat-Superman if you will!:smallamused:

LordChaos13
2013-07-21, 06:58 AM
Thank you for the link that was certainly interesting, made me want to know more!

This comes across as if it were the Alternate Superman from where he was adopted by the Waynes so an effective Bat-Superman if you will!:smallamused:

nanananana SuperBat :smallbiggrin:
Except Flying Man killed, Supes sometimes does but generally doesnt while Bats has a complete 'Thou shalt not kill' thing going on.

Hopeless
2013-07-21, 07:26 AM
nanananana SuperBat :smallbiggrin:
Except Flying Man killed, Supes sometimes does but generally doesnt while Bats has a complete 'Thou shalt not kill' thing going on.

Except this guy wears a nondescript grey body suit...

Apparently he/she is capable of discerning who they kill and who they don't given there was a survivor and the radio broadcasts talking about this suggested it wasn't a normal occurrence!

Well at least he doesn't have heat vision maybe I should refer to him/her as Hancock's cranky alternate?:smallwink:

LordChaos13
2013-07-21, 07:28 AM
Well it was made clear the vigilante was watching them for a long time, including when he was freaking out, mentioning his kids and needing to be coerced into it.
We know the survivor was spared for a reason, and was clearly not as bad as his passenger

Empedocles
2013-07-21, 04:50 PM
Well, this doesn't seem to be the popular opinion, but I like this idea. Maybe have it coincide with Doomsday's origin, so that he's the threat they're facing? The corruption of the council, and their miring in bureaucracy, sounds very Star Wars prequel-esque, but make Zod a strong enough protagonist and the story could stand.

Do people care enough about Krypton without Superman...? Eh, maybe not. But honestly I think enough people would be interested in just a good, solid story that it could stand.

Hopeless
2013-07-22, 04:28 AM
Well, this doesn't seem to be the popular opinion, but I like this idea. Maybe have it coincide with Doomsday's origin, so that he's the threat they're facing? The corruption of the council, and their miring in bureaucracy, sounds very Star Wars prequel-esque, but make Zod a strong enough protagonist and the story could stand.

Do people care enough about Krypton without Superman...? Eh, maybe not. But honestly I think enough people would be interested in just a good, solid story that it could stand.

What if Doomsday was sent after Zod?

We're assuming all of those long lost colonies were long dead nothing says the reason they were abandoned was because someone designed a certain unkillable monstrocity to deal with these invaders who if they were anything like Zod it may have been designed to specifically wipe out a scourge and could even be linked back to Darkseid if they wanted?

Hawriel
2013-07-24, 07:54 PM
The only realistic way a movie on Krypton would works is if they took the first 20 minutes of Man of Steel, and turned that into a full movie.

Make a movie about Jor-El, his wife. The plot would be discovering the fate of Krypton, the political fall out, the civil war fueled by fear, anger and panic. With Jor El realizing that the only victory he can achieve is saving his soon to be born son. The climax of the movie is Jor El sending Kal El to Earth.

It has a small tie to Superman, but a significant enough one to ware Krypton as the setting of a movie would work.

Tiki Snakes
2013-07-24, 08:01 PM
I would totally watch a movie whose last 20 minutes were the first 20 of Man of Steel. Or an HBO series style "Last Days of Krypton" version, with all that crazy pulp scifi stuff and awesome dragonfly mounts.

I would be all about that.