PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Saga Character Help

Cantapuppy
2013-07-20, 04:45 AM
Hello all ^-^

As the title says (and I hope this was the right area, as Saga is a d20 system offshoot), I could use some help with a character I'm building.

The game is set in the Legacy Era, and we've been told we can use pretty much anything from any book, within reason.

Starting is level 5, and I've already decided to be a Cathar Jedi (and planned for a rank of something else, probably scout, to cover what she was doing while 'hiding' her identity, so, something like Jedi 4/Something 1), and was hoping to get a little help in some useful paths, stat builds, etc, I suppose.

I wouldn't mind going into dual-wielding, but am more than willing to also just be single saber (melee focused either way, but different tangents) if its 'easier' that way.

I haven't touched Saga in years, and was a tad whelmed when shown just what had been added since I looked at it last. So, I guess one could say I'm just looking for some guidance from those who know what they are doing...since at this point, I'm basically the person who took the 'general' classes and ended up getting tossed in AP xD
Thanks for your time and any help is greatly appreciated ^=^

Malroth
2013-07-20, 04:47 AM
Saga was the testing ground for 4th ed better luck on that forum

Cantapuppy
2013-07-20, 04:55 AM
Hmm...fair enough. Perhaps I should have just put this thread in the general 'Roleplaying Games' board. Well, I feel silly now. Should I remake or can it be moved if I ask nicely?

Drachasor
2013-07-20, 05:32 AM
Yeah, I think this is more for d20 systems that use the SRD or modified SRD.

Hmm, I'll have to look at the books to see what you can do as far as a single-strike Jedi. Battlestrike is obviously important. I can't remember how good you can get without going with full-attacks. I realize this is different than single vs. dual wielding, but with a Jedi I think it is nice to be really good at mobility.

I'll take a look at my books over the next couple of days and try to find your new thread.

Actana
2013-07-20, 06:21 AM
There's a SWSE discussion thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267237). You might have better luck looking over there.

Immabozo
2013-07-20, 12:51 PM
I would recommend a scout dip and then going assassin, if you want to be lightsaber focused. The assassin can do some gnarly stuff! Dual wielding, you can do an extra 1D6 damage vs you one chosen opponent at a time, and another 1D6 per contitions track step you move them down.

So 3 attacks with your saber vs your chosen target, lets say 2 hit, that is (IIRC) 2D6 (lightsaber) + 1D6 (chosen opponent) and if you overcome threshold, another 1D6, twice. Potentially, with good rolling, if all attacks hit, thats 16d6 + 4 condition track steps damage per turn! You can also do gnarly things with ranged attacks, since there are more ranged talents, but the melee ones are great. Combined with a scouts sneak attack, now you're talking!

Darth Stabber
2013-07-20, 06:39 PM
If you are going to dip another base class I recommend scout, just to pick up evasion, it lets you laugh at autofire and grenades, which are the best ways for a non-force sensitive to bring a jedi down. Plus it's a good way to hide from jedi hunters, as scouts tend to be fairly autonomous individuals, and can easily avoid notice if so desired.

kreenlover
2013-07-20, 07:27 PM
I thought I would just point out that you will have all the hardcore Star Wars nerds raging at your table. This is because the Cathar were extinguished from the galaxy during the Old Republic by the Mandos. Like, literally wiped out of existence. The Mandos decided to do so for FUN. You are going to cause some serous nerd rage.

So, my suggestion is, make it so that you survived via a Sith Stasis container! That would let you bring your Old Republic character right into the future. I would stay away from Assassin, as that is very anti-Jedi.

I would look at the Jedi Academy Training guide. From there, take the Lightsaber Forms Force Powers. They are better than Battle Strike, but can only be used while wielding a Lightsaber.

You want to go in to Jedi Knight as soon as possible. That lets you get the Jedi Dueling talent tree from that. It lets you do awesome tasty dual-wielding without any penalties. Either way, check out those Lightsaber Forms.

Hope this helps! If you want more advice about this ever, PM me. I LOOOOOVE Star Wars and the SWSE.

Oh, and yah, scout is great for sneaking. If you are going into assassin, then you need one level of scoundrel, take Dastardly Strike. Then you will want some sneaky force powers. I believe there was one that let you get concealment? Or, there is Blind (JATM 24) which blinds enemy.

Either way, other good ones are Force Shield (Gives you an SR based on your result, ORCG?), Fold Space (Force teleport? Yes Please! JATM 25), Phase (get to walk thorugh walls? YES! CWCG) and the classics, Move Object, Surge, and Mind Trick. Battlestrike is overrated if you have the Lightsaber Form Powers, JATM 29 (these are really all you need for melee combat)

Basically, Jedi Academy Training Manual is the most broken thing for a Jedi. Its like they decided to actually make Jedi as powerful as they are in the movies, as opposed to being balanced like they should be.

Darth Stabber
2013-07-20, 07:32 PM
I thought I would just point out that you will have all the hardcore Star Wars nerds raging at your table. This is because the Cathar were extinguished from the galaxy during the Old Republic by the Mandos. Like, literally wiped out of existence. The Mandos decided to do so for FUN. You are going to cause some serous nerd rage.

Actually a small number survived the mandalorian onslaught due to being off planet at the time, they are even playable in swtor. Now I have never found reference to them after the old republic era, meaning they likely went extinct not long after. A stasis chamber makes some sense, or a cloning experiment from ancient dna is also plausible.

kreenlover
2013-07-20, 07:38 PM
Actually a small number survived the mandalorian onslaught due to being off planet at the time, they are even playable in swtor. Now I have never found reference to them after the old republic era, meaning they likely went extinct not long after. A stasis chamber makes some sense, or a cloning experiment from ancient dna is also plausible.

True, they didn't hunt them to extinction, but they did go extinct of too few to reproduce. The Legacy Era Campaign Guide actually tells you to use Sith Stasis chambers, so I'd go with that. Or, use the Crosscurrent/Riptide plot device, and throw an entire ship forwards to the Legacy era via a hyperspace accident. EX. hyperdrive almost explodes as you enter, is only destroyed when you exit thousands of years later. This can also give you a ship and any other companions from the past

Darth Stabber
2013-07-20, 07:49 PM
True, they didn't hunt them to extinction, but they did go extinct of too few to reproduce. The Legacy Era Campaign Guide actually tells you to use Sith Stasis chambers, so I'd go with that. Or, use the Crosscurrent/Riptide plot device, and throw an entire ship forwards to the Legacy era via a hyperspace accident. EX. hyperdrive almost explodes as you enter, is only destroyed when you exit thousands of years later. This can also give you a ship and any other companions from the past

I actually used a similar device in Dark Heresy (hyperspace is even more dangerous when hyperspace is almost literally hell). A ship full of reporters from the great crusade era wind up in the game's present, and they spread tales of what the emperor was actually like, and the PCs are charged with bringing down this "heresy against the god emperor of man".

kreenlover
2013-07-22, 07:22 PM
Actually, upon further research and reading I discovered that the Cathar were not driven to extinction. They actually lived on at least until the Legacy era, where one, Rasi Tum, became a well known Jedi. So, guess Darth Stabber and I (mostly I) were wrong on that count.

Who'd have known that the Mando's would do such a poor job of xenocide? Whoops :smallredface:

Darth Stabber
2013-07-22, 08:06 PM
Who'd have known that the Mando's would do such a poor job of xenocide? Whoops :smallredface:

Few can compare to revan or palpatine on that front.

Immabozo
2013-07-22, 09:13 PM
Few can compare to revan or palpatine on that front.

I can. Have you ever heard of Elephanosaurus? No? You're welcome.