PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Gunslinger Rules + Build Questions

Crasical
2013-07-20, 06:21 AM
I had some questions come up when I was tinkering with a Tiefling Musket Master Gunslinger, so I'd like to ask for opinions.

RULES QUESTIONS:
Can I fire normal shots out of a Culverin? The description on the SRD states that

"A culverin uses 4 doses of black powder and grapeshot."
while the scatter weapon quality states that

"A weapon with the scatter weapon quality can shoot two different types of ammunition. It can fire normal bullets that target one creature, or it can make a scattering shot, attacking all creatures within a cone. Cannons with the scatter weapon quality only fire grapeshot, unless their descriptions state otherwise."
While the Culverin is specifically -not- a cannon, I wonder if the implication is that a Culverin cannot make single target shots and must fire pellets. Also, does the requirement that I use four doses of powder and grapeshot mean the weapon takes 4x as long to reload? And does being prone count as firing the weapon 'with support', and thus avoid the -4 penalty to attack rolls? It calls out walls or windows as being acceptable, so I would think so. Do you disagree?

BUILD QUESTIONS:
Since the culverin just flatly says 'You're prone now' when you fire it without support without allowing a save or skill check, what's the best way to deal with the constant proning from firing your gun? A gunslinger generally needs to be fairly mobile to keep the target within their weapon's 'sweet spot' to get the best use out of the firearm, and even though a culverin has a decent 30 foot range, I decided to look into the options. I managed to come up with the following list.

The Rogue talent 'Stand up'. You can now stand as a free action, which still provokes AoOs.
The 'Monkey Style' feat. Requires Improved Unarmed Strike as a prereq and removes the AC penalty for being prone, and crawl and stand up without provoking AoOs, and stand as a swift action by succeeding a DC20 acrobatics check.
The 'Fast Crawl' feat which just lets you crawl at half speed, and a 'Rogue Crawl' talent that does the same.
The 'Prone Shooter' feat, which reduces but doesn't remove the penalties versus melee, and increases the AC bonus vs. range for being prone.
The 'Drag Down' feat, which is amusing but requires too many feats for prerequisites.

Thirdly, grabbing both Weapon Master and Quick Learner gives something close to blanket weapon proficiency. This is almost a shame, as a standard gunslinger build eschews strength, meaning I won't want to melee to make use of this. Are there enough (or any at all) interesting finessable weapons to be worth picking up that feat for those moments I'm forced into melee combat?

grarrrg
2013-07-21, 09:40 AM
BUILD QUESTIONS:
Since the culverin just flatly says 'You're prone now' when you fire it without support without allowing a save or skill check, what's the best way to deal with the constant proning from firing your gun?...

The Rogue talent 'Stand up'. You can now stand as a free action, which still provokes AoOs.
The 'Monkey Style' feat. Requires Improved Unarmed Strike as a prereq and removes the AC penalty for being prone, and crawl and stand up without provoking AoOs, and stand as a swift action by succeeding a DC20 acrobatics check.
The 'Fast Crawl' feat which just lets you crawl at half speed, and a 'Rogue Crawl' talent that does the same.
The 'Prone Shooter' feat, which reduces but doesn't remove the penalties versus melee, and increases the AC bonus vs. range for being prone.
The 'Drag Down' feat, which is amusing but requires too many feats for prerequisites.

Pretty sure you got most of the options.
If you don't mind dipping, then 1 level of Unarmed Fighter, or Master of Many Styles Monk will get you your choice of Style feat (Monkey).
I kinda like Monk here for a few reasons: The loss of Bab is not as important. Having lethal unarmed strikes can be handy. And depending on level/stats, wearing no armor and getting WIS-to-AC can possibly boost your AC.

Thirdly, grabbing both Weapon Master and Quick Learner gives something close to blanket weapon proficiency. This is almost a shame, as a standard gunslinger build eschews strength, meaning I won't want to melee to make use of this. Are there enough (or any at all) interesting finessable weapons to be worth picking up that feat for those moments I'm forced into melee combat?

The problem isn't so much the Finesse, it's the switching weapons.
Something you can wear/have that doesn't interfere with normal actions is preferred.
Unarmed strike/Gauntlets (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/gauntlet)/etc... are one option.
Proficiency with the Dwarven Boulder Helm (www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/helmet-dwarven-boulder) is another.