PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Price this magic item

Barstro
2013-07-20, 08:25 AM
I addressed a similar question in another thread, but now have a specific question;

I'd like to have my party's Summoner or Cleric be able to cast Ill Omen (Level 1 Witch spell) just before the Witch's turn. By the time either would have decent UMD, there would be other options that render this exercise moot.

What would be the cost of a slot item that can cast Ill Omen at least 5x per day (or a weapon that casts it on a valid hit?) Or would such an item be broken?

In the alternative, is there an item that a Witch can use to store a spell that another character can then use to cast it?

gartius
2013-07-20, 09:46 AM
so ill omen 1st lvl spell
following the guide for pricing
Spell level x caster level x 2,000 gp x 4 for being rounds per lvl

so depending on what lvl caster you want will determine what price it will be

1st lvl caster- 1x1x2000x4= 8000gp
5th lvl caster -1x5x2000x4= 40000gp
there is no point on 5 charges per day -Divide by (5 divided by charges per day)
so 5 charges still ends up at the same price.

Though I'm unsure of why you would want the Summoner or Cleric to cast it-it is very much a witch spell, with witches being hex focused. Or is it for that reason to buff the witch even more and make the enemy harder to pass without buff time?

Barstro
2013-07-20, 11:00 AM
Though I'm unsure of why you would want the Summoner or Cleric to cast it-it is very much a witch spell, with witches being hex focused. Or is it for that reason to buff the witch even more and make the enemy harder to pass without buff time?

I want it so that the enemy will have to roll twice to resist the Misfortune Hex (which is the same thing as Ill Omen, but it gets a saving throw when cast:smallyuk:, but, the Witch can keep it going for several rounds once that saving throw is lost:smallsmile:)
The spell only lasts until the enemy rolls once (or twice at L5*). This means the enemy would deplete the spell before the Witch gets to go again. So I want a different character to be able to Ready the action so it goes off just before the Witch's turn to guarantee that the rerolling is for the application of the Misfortune Hex.

*By L5, the enemy will probably get two attacks anyway, so it still would be best to have someone else cast.

Kudaku
2013-07-20, 11:08 AM
If the item used a standard action to activate (ie Command Word) and had five charges per day I believe (according to the formula) it would cost 1800 GP at level 1.

The formula would be as follows: CL*SL*1800/(5/5)

1*1*1800/1=1800 GP

That said, I'd be very, very careful with allowing an item like this.

Barstro
2013-07-20, 12:15 PM
That said, I'd be very, very careful with allowing an item like this.

That's part of my concern. On it's face, it seems broken; and I'm not sure the GM would tailor his battles to counteract this scheme.

Kudaku
2013-07-20, 12:23 PM
It very much is broken. If you make four of these and hire four commoners to take Ready actions to use said item whenever one of the party's casters uses a Save or Suck-spell those spells become significantly more powerful.

I think the idea behind the item is awesome and as a GM I might allow one such item in the right party with a proper gentleman's agreement in place. That said, the risk of abuse is considerable.