PDA

View Full Version : Profession (XXXXXX)

drack
2013-07-20, 08:50 AM
OK, I was wondering if there is a complete list of profession skills lying around, or if there's not, if anyone wants to join me in making one. :smallsmile:

Those with mechanical merit beyond money-making minus campaign specific

Here's what I've got for 3.5 non-setting-specific (so no FR, Eberron, etc.) professions that have a mechanical benefit (many mentioned already):

Profession (executioner): rules for using Execution Devices (BoVD 39).
Profession (teamster): avoid damaging potholes while driving a wagon with a DC 15 check (City 32)
Profession (various): join a guild (City 96)
Profession (sailor): 9 ranks required for Dread Pirate PrC (CAdv 39)
Profession (gambler): 5 ranks required for Fatespinner PrC (CAr 37)
Profession (astrologer): 6 ranks required for Sublme Chord PrC (CAr 60)
Profession (herbalism): 5 ranks for +1 affiliation score modifier for joining Guardians of the Green organization (CC 69)
Profession (sailor): make a check when piloting a vessel to avoid getting sucked into a Maelstrom (CD 168)
Profession (sailor): make a check when piloting a vessel to avoid getting sucked into a Waterspout (CD 188)
Profession (engineering): create the body of a Guardian Familiar with a DC16 check (CW 119-121)
Profession (cooking): spot (a particular) poison hidden in food with a DC20 check (DotU 94)
Profession (siege engineer): operate a catapult with a DC15 check (DMG 100)
Profession (various): run a business (DMG2 180)
Profession (sailor): make DC 15 check to traverse rough water (EoE 101)
Profession (sailor/boater): make a DC 18 check to avoid the Abyssian Whirlpool (FC1 111, 141)
Profession (herbalist): make a DC 25 check to get +2 inherent bonus to Wisdom after spending a week meditating in the Shedaklah (FC1 145)
Profession (herbalist): make a DC 15 check to locate material components for use with the Primitive Caster feat (Frost 49)
Profession (pilot/sailor): use various vehicles (Frost 81)
Profession (siege engineer): use aid another with DC 10 check to give crew chief +2 to attack with ballista or catapult (HoB 65)
Profession (siege engineer): aiming an indirect fire catapult, such as a trebuchet, scorpion, or mangonel (HoB 95)
Profession (siege engineer): 8 ranks required for Expert Siege Engineer feat (HoB 97)
Profession (mason): construct a juggernaut (MM2 133), Nimblewright (MM2 162), or Clay Half-Golem (MM2 212)
Profession (sailor): DC 15 check to avoid being swamped by a leviathan (MM2 140)
Profession (engineer): DC 20 check to construct a Runic Guardian (MM2 183)
Profession (silkmaker): DC 20 check to construct a web golem (MM3 74)
Profession (gardener): DC 20 check to make a topiary guardian (MM3 175)
Profession (courtier): High skill for a samurai to practice
Profession (sailor/miner/pilot): Use various vehicles (PlH 72)
Profession (herbalist): 10 ranks for +2 affiliation score modifier for joining Elves of the High Forest organization (PHB2 173)
Profession (sailor): 5 ranks for +2 affiliation score modifier for joining The Thunder Sail Argosy organization (PHB2 181)
Profession (teamster): chariot racing (RoD 9)
Profession (card gambler): play card games for money (RoD 9)
Profession (miner): dig a hole (RotD 98)
Profession (miner): DC 15 check to make an amalgam of red copper and steel to make spellflinging spears (RotD 126)
Profession (gambler): 9 ranks required for Luckstealer PrC (RotW 118)
Profession (sailor): use various vehicles (Sand 61, 104)
Profession (sailor): escape from a maelstrom (Storm 14)
Profession (sailor): sail in a strong wind (Storm 23), storm (Storm 24), to gain advantage in battle (Storm 26), perform special maneuvers (Storm 27), use a Gust of Wind to accelerate (Storm 29), or prevent sinking (Storm 32).
Profession (sailor): 8 ranks required for Legendary Captain PrC (Storm 56)
Profession (sailor): Misdirection class feature for Legendary Captains to replace bluff for doing sneaky things with your ship (Storm 57)
Profession (sailor): 4 ranks required for Scarlet Corsair PrC (Storm 65)
Profession (sailor): do lots of things with boats (Storm 87-88)
Profession (sailor): 7 ranks required for Great Captain feat (Storm 92)
Profession (sailor): 5 ranks required for Old Salt feat (Storm 93)
Profession (sailor): 4 ranks required for Sailor's Balance feat (Storm 93)
Profession (sailor): 2 ranks required for Ship's Mage (Storm 93)
Profession (sailor): DC 5 check to use a firespout weapon (Storm 104)
Profession (siege engineer): DC 10 check to clear a firespout and fill it's bellows, and a DC 15 check to prepare it to fire (Storm 104)
Profession (sailor): DC 15 check to determine number, direction, and range to ships, or particular details about the ships if in sight, when using the Detect Ship spell (Storm 115)
Profession (sailor): 8 ranks required to craft a Rod of the Legendary Mariner (Storm 131)
Profession (herbalist): DC 20+ check to gather plant-based metamagic components (variant rule, UA 140)
Profession (taxidermy): DC 15/20 check to harvest/preserve body parts for metamagic components (variant rule, UA 151)

I seem to recall that Oriental Adventures had quite a few Professions clearly labeled out in places, along with their status as "High" and "Low" professions. Beyond their money making potential it also was a mark of status and prestige within the courts to have various profession skills. You could do all the schmoozing and whispering you wanted, but that still wouldn't get you as close to the Emerald Throne as the guy who had ranks in Profession: Courtier. And if you had even a single rank in Profession: Mortician, well then you were less than dirt even if you saved the entire Empire... several times over.

Profession (Oldest) is third party.

Doesn't Eberron have something similar to Profession (Sailor) but for airships?

Norin
2013-07-20, 09:16 AM
It's basically any profession of professional craft or service you can think of.

Anything from shopkeeper, cartwright, carpenter, and such to prostitute, bodyguard, or whatever else you can come up with.

If your world\setting supports it, why not astronaut or planet core miner!?

This list will never encompass all possibilities. :smallwink:

karkus
2013-07-20, 09:34 AM
Gambler is one that I've seen in a few campaigns, but has never been officially added.

Profession (Sailor) is probably one of the more useful ones, because it has a usage beyond basic earnings; one can pilot actual ships with them. I think that there are a few Profession skills like that one, but I can't remember any now... :smallannoyed:

Kudaku
2013-07-20, 09:37 AM
Oh boy did I get the thread title wrong. :smallamused:

Volthawk
2013-07-20, 09:38 AM
Oh boy did I get the thread title wrong. :smallamused:

Too many X's for that, good sir.

Profession (Sailor) is probably one of the more useful ones, because it has a usage beyond basic earnings; one can pilot actual ships with them. I think that there are a few Profession skills like that one, but I can't remember any now... :smallannoyed:

IIRC, Profession (Siege Engineer) has extra uses past money-making.

drack
2013-07-20, 09:44 AM

IIRC, Profession (Siege Engineer) has extra uses past money-making.

Sure, lets at least go for the ones with some mechanical merit beyond profit. :smallbiggrin:

In honestly I was thinking the officially listed ones, but that i a valid point that it does specifically say anything you can think of. :smalltongue:

Kudaku
2013-07-20, 10:32 AM

Depends on what word he's X'ing out :smallwink:

drack
2013-07-20, 10:43 AM
Depends on what word he's X'ing out :smallwink:

x is pretty universally variable no? :smalltongue:

Vedhin
2013-07-20, 10:49 AM
Profession (miner) in Races of the Dragon has rules for digging holes.

Chronos
2013-07-20, 10:56 AM
Do we count prerequisites for a prestige class as "other uses"?

IIRC, Fatespinner requires Profession (Gambler), which if nothing else firmly establishes that the skill exists.

drack
2013-07-20, 11:00 AM
Do we count prerequisites for a prestige class as "other uses"?

IIRC, Fatespinner requires Profession (Gambler), which if nothing else firmly establishes that the skill exists.

sure, why not. :smalltongue:

ArcturusV
2013-07-20, 11:05 AM
I seem to recall that Oriental Adventures had quite a few Professions clearly labeled out in places, along with their status as "High" and "Low" professions. Beyond their money making potential it also was a mark of status and prestige within the courts to have various profession skills. You could do all the schmoozing and whispering you wanted, but that still wouldn't get you as close to the Emerald Throne as the guy who had ranks in Profession: Courtier. And if you had even a single rank in Profession: Mortician, well then you were less than dirt even if you saved the entire Empire... several times over.

karkus
2013-07-20, 12:37 PM
Another Profession allows you to oversee construction of a ship or even entire buildings. It might be Profession (Sailor), but because I'm not sure, let's not put it down yet. It's in Stormwrack, if that helps.

drack
2013-07-20, 12:39 PM
Yeah shipcrafting or something, though in earnest it's more a glorified craft skill. :smallconfused:

Sylthia
2013-07-20, 01:26 PM

Twice as many Xs, so twice as dirty.

khachaturian
2013-07-20, 01:53 PM
profession- astrologer. six ranks required for sublime chord

Forrestfire
2013-07-20, 01:58 PM
I came in here expecting a discussion on Profession (Oldest). Well then.

In any case, profession (herbalist) is required for the Verdant Lord and Blighter iirc.

JustPlayItLoud
2013-07-20, 01:58 PM
Profession (executioner) allows you to directly kill people.

Andezzar
2013-07-20, 02:19 PM
Profession (Adventurer) should help with lots of stuff. Just kidding.

Kornaki
2013-07-20, 02:48 PM
Profession (Adventurer) should help with lots of stuff. Just kidding.

This would be a fairly amusing Dnd game for about 10 minutes. Level 1: Start with 20 wisdom, 4 skill ranks, skill focus in profession(adventurer), a masterwork item of profession(adventurer) and just start rolling up ~12 gold a week

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-20, 03:18 PM
This would be a fairly amusing Dnd game for about 10 minutes. Level 1: Start with 20 wisdom, 4 skill ranks, skill focus in profession(adventurer), a masterwork item of profession(adventurer) and just start rolling up ~12 gold a week

Really? A whole 10 minutes? Your friends must have a better attention spans than mine (though we can get on some amazing tangents).

I think this would be a pretty cool mechanic for a stripped down D&D based on one mechanic, as few dice rolls as possible, and role play heavy. It would almost be freeform, but any time you need a roll for x or y, just use the character's Profession(adventurer) check, modified possibly by character level, prestige, and some circumstance bonuses based on the role play. Might make for an interesting rules-lite variant.

ArqArturo
2013-07-20, 03:24 PM
All those profession fall short to the one true useful profession in D&D, ever:

The Basketweaver.

drack
2013-07-20, 03:46 PM
I think this would be a pretty cool mechanic for a stripped down D&D based on one mechanic, as few dice rolls as possible, and role play heavy. It would almost be freeform, but any time you need a roll for x or y, just use the character's Profession(adventurer) check, modified possibly by character level, prestige, and some circumstance bonuses based on the role play. Might make for an interesting rules-lite variant.

Mayhaps. I was just thinking you get to tell seasoned adventurer tales from a hireling perspective before you even start the game (at level 1) :smalltongue:

Scow2
2013-07-20, 05:21 PM
All those profession fall short to the one true useful profession in D&D, ever:

The Basketweaver.

That's a Craft, not Profession, skill.

Darth Stabber
2013-07-20, 06:02 PM
I've used profession (dirt farmer) in some theoretical builds (along with craft (lame excuse)). It was mostly to show that druid and cleric builds can only be so bad (providing they have a decent wisdom), and to get good all you have to do is prep good spells one morning and you will stop sucking.

As far as professions I have used more seriously
shipwright, sailor, gambler, miner, pimpin' (it was a silly game, but you gotta love the second oldest profession), mason, and philosopher.

DeltaEmil
2013-07-20, 06:25 PM
That's a Craft, not Profession, skill.Basket-weaving is a craft. But being a basket-weaver, now that takes dedication. As a basket-weaver, it doesn't matter how good or bad the baskets you weaved are. Only that you weave baskets. Basket-weaving is serious business.

Kerilstrasz
2013-07-20, 07:01 PM
Professions that rely on other skills (well... if you want to be a good one)

Scout
Cartographer
Navigator
Locksmith (yes its a craft.. im talking about the one you hire to open a lock )
A "look-out" (that person thieves or other group of criminals use to stay behind and warn them if anyone comes while they "do their thing")
Adviser (topic depends on knowledge or skill mastered)

Slipperychicken
2013-07-20, 07:07 PM
Anything from shopkeeper, cartwright, carpenter, and such to prostitute, bodyguard, or whatever else you can come up with.

I imagine being a good bodyguard would be all about the Intimidate skill, and prostitution would, with BoEF in play, be governed by Perform (Sexual Acts).

Darth Stabber
2013-07-20, 07:40 PM
I imagine being a good bodyguard would be all about the Intimidate skill, and prostitution would, with BoEF in play, be governed by Perform (Sexual Acts).

Bodyguards, pimps, and protection racketeers would all be primarily intimidate based, but there are other parts of the job that would not fall under that, and would be part of a profession and/or other skills. Appraise would be important for pimps and racketeers, as would accounting. Bodyguards would likely also need spot and search, since vigilance is key to the performance of your duties. Profession in these instances would likely consist of selling your services (with the other skills "cashing that check" so to speak) and the profession would cover the clerical end.

Sylthia
2013-07-20, 07:51 PM
Profession (executioner) allows you to directly kill people.

Sounds the same as Profession (adventurer).

Andezzar
2013-07-20, 07:57 PM
I imagine being a good bodyguard would be all about the Intimidate skill,Being a good bodyguard is much more than intimidation. It is also spot (to identify possible assailants), initiative (to do something before the assailant), Knowledge (Geography) (to know safe(r) routes), etc.

Crasical
2013-07-20, 08:00 PM

Don't be dissin' Perform (Sexual). There are plenty of 'bardic' PRCs that only require ranks in Perform, not actual Bardic Music.

Slipperychicken
2013-07-20, 08:12 PM
Bodyguards, pimps, and protection racketeers would all be primarily intimidate based, but there are other parts of the job that would not fall under that, and would be part of a profession and/or other skills. Appraise would be important for pimps and racketeers, as would accounting. Bodyguards would likely also need spot and search, since vigilance is key to the performance of your duties. Profession in these instances would likely consist of selling your services (with the other skills "cashing that check" so to speak) and the profession would cover the clerical end.

Yeah, I got kind of caught up in the "doing your **** job" bit, rather than the "getting work" bit :smalltongue:

karkus
2013-07-20, 09:41 PM
As far as professions I have used more seriously... pimpin'

But aren't the DCs for that skill relatively high?

Because pimpin' ain't easy. :smallcool:

Kalaska'Agathas
2013-07-20, 09:47 PM
I came in here expecting a discussion on Profession (Oldest). Well then.

Sugashane
2013-07-21, 12:48 AM

I disagree. You're just not thinking dirty enough, sir. :smallbiggrin:

Really basically anything can be a profession, even the NPC hirelings can be used. I only restrict a few that are attempts to be abusive in my games, Toymaker being the one I have had to nerf.

The reason being that toys can be made to model anything, and mundane to elaborate/intricate. Need a holy symbol? Here's a toy one made of gold. Need a sword? Here's a highly refined huge toy sword. Need barding for your 20 HD mount? Gotcha. See how it can quickly escalate? Just might have to set limits, but yeah.

squarecircle
2013-07-21, 03:06 AM
Don't be dissin' Perform (Sexual). There are plenty of 'bardic' PRCs that only require ranks in Perform, not actual Bardic Music.

Suddenly, those one-shot tear off pants that give a +30 to your next perform check was worth the 900 gp.

Crasical
2013-07-21, 05:14 AM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services/containers-bags-boxes-more#TOC-Tear-Away-Clothing

Pathfinder already has tear-away clothing. For the low, low price of 5 gold, you too can be one standard action away from near complete nudity at all times.

Slipperychicken
2013-07-21, 09:52 AM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services/containers-bags-boxes-more#TOC-Tear-Away-Clothing

Pathfinder already has tear-away clothing. For the low, low price of 5 gold, you too can be one standard action away from near complete nudity at all times.

Would another person be able to tear them off? If so, you could use an Unseen Servant and save yourself the action. A Hat of Disguise could also work for this purpose.

Also, who says you need to be nude to use Perform (Sexual Acts)? :smalltongue:

prufock
2013-07-21, 11:52 AM
This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190499) has a good summary of profession skills required for feats and prestige classes.

HalfQuart
2013-07-21, 12:23 PM
Here's what I've got for 3.5 non-setting-specific (so no FR, Eberron, etc.) professions that have a mechanical benefit (many mentioned already):

Profession (executioner): rules for using Execution Devices (BoVD 39).
Profession (teamster): avoid damaging potholes while driving a wagon with a DC 15 check (City 32)
Profession (various): join a guild (City 96)
Profession (sailor): 9 ranks required for Dread Pirate PrC (CAdv 39)
Profession (gambler): 5 ranks required for Fatespinner PrC (CAr 37)
Profession (astrologer): 6 ranks required for Sublme Chord PrC (CAr 60)
Profession (herbalism): 5 ranks for +1 affiliation score modifier for joining Guardians of the Green organization (CC 69)
Profession (sailor): make a check when piloting a vessel to avoid getting sucked into a Maelstrom (CD 168)
Profession (sailor): make a check when piloting a vessel to avoid getting sucked into a Waterspout (CD 188)
Profession (engineering): create the body of a Guardian Familiar with a DC16 check (CW 119-121)
Profession (cooking): spot (a particular) poison hidden in food with a DC20 check (DotU 94)
Profession (siege engineer): operate a catapult with a DC15 check (DMG 100)
Profession (various): run a business (DMG2 180)
Profession (sailor): make DC 15 check to traverse rough water (EoE 101)
Profession (sailor/boater): make a DC 18 check to avoid the Abyssian Whirlpool (FC1 111, 141)
Profession (herbalist): make a DC 25 check to get +2 inherent bonus to Wisdom after spending a week meditating in the Shedaklah (FC1 145)
Profession (herbalist): make a DC 15 check to locate material components for use with the Primitive Caster feat (Frost 49)
Profession (pilot/sailor): use various vehicles (Frost 81)
Profession (siege engineer): use aid another with DC 10 check to give crew chief +2 to attack with ballista or catapult (HoB 65)
Profession (siege engineer): aiming an indirect fire catapult, such as a trebuchet, scorpion, or mangonel (HoB 95)
Profession (siege engineer): 8 ranks required for Expert Siege Engineer feat (HoB 97)
Profession (mason): construct a juggernaut (MM2 133), Nimblewright (MM2 162), or Clay Half-Golem (MM2 212)
Profession (sailor): DC 15 check to avoid being swamped by a leviathan (MM2 140)
Profession (engineer): DC 20 check to construct a Runic Guardian (MM2 183)
Profession (silkmaker): DC 20 check to construct a web golem (MM3 74)
Profession (gardener): DC 20 check to make a topiary guardian (MM3 175)
Profession (courtier): High skill for a samurai to practice
Profession (sailor/miner/pilot): Use various vehicles (PlH 72)
Profession (herbalist): 10 ranks for +2 affiliation score modifier for joining Elves of the High Forest organization (PHB2 173)
Profession (sailor): 5 ranks for +2 affiliation score modifier for joining The Thunder Sail Argosy organization (PHB2 181)
Profession (teamster): chariot racing (RoD 9)
Profession (card gambler): play card games for money (RoD 9)
Profession (miner): dig a hole (RotD 98)
Profession (miner): DC 15 check to make an amalgam of red copper and steel to make spellflinging spears (RotD 126)
Profession (gambler): 9 ranks required for Luckstealer PrC (RotW 118)
Profession (sailor): use various vehicles (Sand 61, 104)
Profession (sailor): escape from a maelstrom (Storm 14)
Profession (sailor): sail in a strong wind (Storm 23), storm (Storm 24), to gain advantage in battle (Storm 26), perform special maneuvers (Storm 27), use a Gust of Wind to accelerate (Storm 29), or prevent sinking (Storm 32).
Profession (sailor): 8 ranks required for Legendary Captain PrC (Storm 56)
Profession (sailor): Misdirection class feature for Legendary Captains to replace bluff for doing sneaky things with your ship (Storm 57)
Profession (sailor): 4 ranks required for Scarlet Corsair PrC (Storm 65)
Profession (sailor): do lots of things with boats (Storm 87-88)
Profession (sailor): 7 ranks required for Great Captain feat (Storm 92)
Profession (sailor): 5 ranks required for Old Salt feat (Storm 93)
Profession (sailor): 4 ranks required for Sailor's Balance feat (Storm 93)
Profession (sailor): 2 ranks required for Ship's Mage (Storm 93)
Profession (sailor): DC 5 check to use a firespout weapon (Storm 104)
Profession (siege engineer): DC 10 check to clear a firespout and fill it's bellows, and a DC 15 check to prepare it to fire (Storm 104)
Profession (sailor): DC 15 check to determine number, direction, and range to ships, or particular details about the ships if in sight, when using the Detect Ship spell (Storm 115)
Profession (sailor): 8 ranks required to craft a Rod of the Legendary Mariner (Storm 131)
Profession (herbalist): DC 20+ check to gather plant-based metamagic components (variant rule, UA 140)
Profession (taxidermy): DC 15/20 check to harvest/preserve body parts for metamagic components (variant rule, UA 151)

ArqArturo
2013-07-21, 01:37 PM
Basket-weaving is a craft. But being a basket-weaver, now that takes dedication. As a basket-weaver, it doesn't matter how good or bad the baskets you weaved are. Only that you weave baskets. Basket-weaving is serious business.

There's even a Handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870302/The_Basket_Weavers_Handbook) for them.

Kalaska'Agathas
2013-07-21, 04:16 PM

Is there a limited duration on this? I'm sure there's a way to hit a DC 25 that's cheaper than paying for two castings of Wish, or 55,000 gp for a +2 Tome of Understanding.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-07-21, 04:38 PM
Is there a limited duration on this? I'm sure there's a way to hit a DC 25 that's cheaper than paying for two castings of Wish, or 55,000 gp for a +2 Tome of Understanding.

No limited duration is listed, you just have to get to the plane and survive long enough.
It also only works once and you have to make a DC20 fort save or die if you fail the skill check.

Kalaska'Agathas
2013-07-21, 04:55 PM
No limited duration is listed, you just have to get to the plane and survive long enough.
It also only works once and you have to make a DC20 fort save or die if you fail the skill check.

Good thing getting a high enough bonus on the skill check to guarantee a pass isn't particularly difficult. I wish I weren't AFB, this seems like trading a silver for a spyglass, so long as surviving the week long meditation isn't too trying.

karkus
2013-07-21, 06:20 PM
No limited duration is listed

It actually specifies that it's an instantaneous adjustment, because of your trippy epiphany, or "tripiphany." :smallwink:

drack
2013-07-26, 05:27 PM

Being a good bodyguard is much more than intimidation. It is also spot (to identify possible assailants), initiative (to do something before the assailant), Knowledge (Geography) (to know safe(r) routes), etc.
not profession

does it?

-snip-
Thanks mate. :smallbiggrin:

tadkins
2013-07-26, 05:40 PM
I'm currently playing in a Pathfinder game where the DM gives us each an extra skill point per level that must be put into a craft, profession or perform skill, as sort of a way to add RP flavor to the character. I gave my Wood Elementalist Wizard the Profession (Farmer) skill, because it seemed different, interesting, and fitting for the character as the campaign takes place in a new frontier type setting.

Any ideas for applying that skill in a practical manner?

BowStreetRunner
2013-07-26, 05:56 PM
Profession (barrister) [Sh 132]

Slipperychicken
2013-07-26, 06:09 PM
Any ideas for applying that skill in a practical manner?

Every time you bump into anything involving agriculture, roll that skill like it's going out of style.

Glean information about food prices, see how local farms are doing economically (it could help your attempts to bribe or persuade farmers), use your farming knowledge to help relate with locals, figure out what (if anything) the Dwarves farm for food.

tadkins
2013-07-26, 06:25 PM
Every time you bump into anything involving agriculture, roll that skill like it's going out of style.

Glean information about food prices, see how local farms are doing economically (it could help your attempts to bribe or persuade farmers), use your farming knowledge to help relate with locals, figure out what (if anything) the Dwarves farm for food.

Ooh, good stuff. Thanks a lot. :)

Being a wizard I've been RPing out different agricultural experiments combining farming know-how with magic, but little else.