PDA

View Full Version : Contest Pathfinder Grab Bag Competition Chat Thread II: New Thread smell included!

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Tanuki Tales
2013-11-24, 11:48 AM
Well, I threw an idea into the contest. A bit more detailed than what I originally was going for, but....

Anyways, fire away. Not completely sure about the CR and Auton costs. Feel a bit better about how the rest went together.

Your entry looks pretty good, I only have two things to note:

The HD for the Consciousness avatar and the Swarm Leader are off for their CR. A CR 16 Aberration should have 24 HD and a CR 10 Construct should have 13 HD. I can understand lowering them for giving unique powers and other such considerations, but the Consciousness has waaaaay too few HD for its CR.
The costs on the Autons seems ridiculously high to me. There are golems proper that are cheaper than them.

SassyQuatch
2013-11-24, 03:56 PM
Your entry looks pretty good, I only have two things to note:

The HD for the Consciousness avatar and the Swarm Leader are off for their CR. A CR 16 Aberration should have 24 HD and a CR 10 Construct should have 13 HD. I can understand lowering them for giving unique powers and other such considerations, but the Consciousness has waaaaay too few HD for its CR.
The costs on the Autons seems ridiculously high to me. There are golems proper that are cheaper than them.
Adjustments made.

*NC will use HD-2 for CR since it does gain quite a bit of benefit from having essentially free manifesting class levels, and it seems like it now would fit as an Average encounter for group of 4 at the same level. I was relying too heavily on the environment being advantageous (lots of polynestene items and constructs to aid) and not relying on it's own creature CR.
*Similarly the Swarm Leader's CR was reduced for the same reasons.
* Auton costs reduced across the board, though they may still be a bit higher than average. In part this is because two of them are actually intelligent (and one with the ability to essentially replicate without needing most prerequisites) and in part that polynestene is pretty rare for anyone other than the Consciousness and it's minions.

Still adjustable, but it feels better right now.

Also added a treatise on plastics and polynestene to clear up some confusion and to make it easier to use both in various settings.

EDIT: I was also toying with the idea that since the wrist gun is supposed to be a powerful psychic weapon, maybe adding +Int mod damage to it may be appropriate. It would only be applicable for the Swarm Leader since it is the only Auton with a bonus, but I'm still sitting on the fence. Thoughts?

gr8artist
2013-11-25, 06:14 AM
I think the Sontarans are finished. Let me know if I forgot anything.

Tanuki Tales
2013-11-25, 11:41 AM
Guys, please go vote for last month. We really, really, really need more votes.

Edit:

I didn't say this, since it was obvious, but Third Law is December's theme. :smalltongue:

Do you guys want to start deciding January's theme now or would you prefer waiting for half-way through December? I know Christmas time is busy, so I just figured it'd be prudent to get it decided now.

gr8artist
2013-11-27, 04:05 PM
I've always thought that one of the purposes of this competition was to create an entry from scratch in just a month. I may be mistaken, however. But I feel like deciding future themes ahead of time causes us to lose focus from current months' projects and defeats the purpose of having only one month for entries.
Personally, I think we could perhaps do the first few rounds of voting now, but should wait until later to decide January's theme. Or just get started a few days into January. Perhaps getting down to 4 possible entries, and having one more round in Jan 1-5 to pick a winner.
Which reminds me... is there a reason that we have so many voting rounds for themes? 16 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 seems a little excessive to me. It's not a big deal and I'm not upset, but if I forget to check in for a few days, I may have missed a whole voting round.
What about 16 > 4 > 1, and taking twice as long for each vote? Just an idea I'm throwing out there.

And yeah, I know we don't use the race creation guidelines, but I feel like they're a good mechanic for recognizing the relative power (balance) of an entry. I like them, so I list the information. It has been moved so as to be less in-the-way, however.

Lastly, please don't vote for last month's contest... I'm currently winning.Just kidding. Vote if you haven't already. There are som really interesting entries

DawnbringerSO
2013-11-28, 04:46 AM
I've always thought that one of the purposes of this competition was to create an entry from scratch in just a month. I may be mistaken, however. But I feel like deciding future themes ahead of time causes us to lose focus from current months' projects and defeats the purpose of having only one month for entries.
Personally, I think we could perhaps do the first few rounds of voting now, but should wait until later to decide January's theme. Or just get started a few days into January. Perhaps getting down to 4 possible entries, and having one more round in Jan 1-5 to pick a winner.
Which reminds me... is there a reason that we have so many voting rounds for themes? 16 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 seems a little excessive to me. It's not a big deal and I'm not upset, but if I forget to check in for a few days, I may have missed a whole voting round.
What about 16 > 4 > 1, and taking twice as long for each vote? Just an idea I'm throwing out there.

And yeah, I know we don't use the race creation guidelines, but I feel like they're a good mechanic for recognizing the relative power (balance) of an entry. I like them, so I list the information. It has been moved so as to be less in-the-way, however.

Lastly, please don't vote for last month's contest... I'm currently winning.Just kidding. Vote if you haven't already. There are som really interesting entries

I use the race creation guidelines to make my races as balanced as possible

Tanuki Tales
2013-11-28, 06:55 PM

That is a completely reasonable opinion to have on the matter. I guess that it's set up the way it is because of the different approach this contest has from the others. Most of the other contests on here run on a several month basis and are of the mindset that it's better to start late. This contest is run on a monthly basis, so I've always looked at it as being better to start early:

Since I don't usually start the voting process for themes until around half-way through the competition or later, I've always felt that sufficient time had already been given for concepts to formulate and for those individuals who were devoted to entering that month to throw their hat into the ring.

I'm completely fine with cutting things down to the last four men standing before the final days of the competition, but (as I mentioned), I don't like the starting late methodology of the other contests. I feel that's fine when you have two or three months to play with, but not when you have one month.

The reason for that is because I like even numbers and I want to give everyone the chance to throw in their two cents for potential themes. Multiple rounds ensures that usually I don't need to tiebreak.

We can cut down the amount of rounds and stretch the amount of time spent on each round if everyone would prefer that, but it would either require me to be a tiebreaker more often or for us to do suicide voting rounds.

It's fine if you want to use them; I just don't want anyone to think it's required (especially since those rules are honestly kind of borked).

caledscratcher
2013-11-30, 08:45 PM
My sincerest apologies, I have a research paper to be working on and most likely will not be finished with all of the Sponsors for the Troy's Compatriot by the end of the day. However, I did make the suggested repairs, or so I believe. I'll try to finish up the second one by the dedline, however.

Tanuki Tales
2013-12-01, 11:12 AM
New stuff is up everyone!

DawnbringerSO
2013-12-01, 06:09 PM
And I quote from Starcraft, in the same voice that the marine used in the trailer.

Hell, it's about time.

Stake A Vamp
2013-12-02, 09:29 PM
and I, the Vampire Slayer, have entered the fray. I apologize for my hiatus. and I am truly sad that I missed the doctor who contest, however i was kinda going through some stuff, and had no time for homebrew, also I kinda didn't notice for most of the month.

but I am back, and i shall bring the heat with a new, better homebrew.

I defy any to challenge my brew (in a purely playfully competitive way. I just enjoy a bit of dramatic flair every now and then)

-The Vampire-Slaying Brew-Master

Tanuki Tales
2013-12-03, 09:04 PM
I hate to say it, but I feel really disappointed overall with how the Doctor Who competition turned out.

There was such a massive driving force to get it to be the theme for months and we only end up with 5 entries that could even be put up for voting, only three of which I'm very pleased with how they turned out. The Troy's Compatriot had a lot of promise to it, but time only ended up allowing for one sponsor. And I hate to be harsh, but the Dalek is just poor monster design and doesn't live up to representing the concept succinctly.

Third Law is another theme that's been pushed for months, so please make this one shine guys. :smallfrown:

SassyQuatch
2013-12-04, 01:17 AM
Third Law is another theme that's been pushed for months, so please make this one shine guys. :smallfrown:
I'll try. I don't have a firm concept in mind at the moment, but hopefully I'll get something more solid in couple of days. :smalltongue:

Milo v3
2013-12-04, 01:30 AM
I hate to say it, but I feel really disappointed overall with how the Doctor Who competition turned out.

There was such a massive driving force to get it to be the theme for months and we only end up with 5 entries that could even be put up for voting, only three of which I'm very pleased with how they turned out. The Troy's Compatriot had a lot of promise to it, but time only ended up allowing for one sponsor. And I hate to be harsh, but the Dalek is just poor monster design and doesn't live up to representing the concept succinctly.

Sorry, I wasn't a fan of Doctor Who so I didn't have inspiration.
This time though, Gramarie Races for my setting :smallamused:

I just have one question...
Any of you guys know how to best show Seizure mechanically? :smallconfused:

SassyQuatch
2013-12-04, 02:08 AM
OK, since I just started in these competitions, it appears that for now I'm going to pigeonholed as the intelligent construct creature guy. And I am totally OK with that. :smallcool:

Totally not going to be a joke entry, but when you first see it you will probably roll your eyes and groan. :smallredface: You have been warned.

Still going to be a day or two to finish since I have a full schedule of night shifts and exec meetings for a little while. Should be out for a weekend review though for sure.

Tanuki Tales
2013-12-04, 11:04 AM
I just have one question...
Any of you guys know how to best show Seizure mechanically? :smallconfused:

Define "seizure" please, there are a few things that could mean. I bet you mean a tonic seizure, where it's the full body convulsing, but I'm just being thorough.

Milo v3
2013-12-04, 04:20 PM
Define "seizure" please, there are a few things that could mean. I bet you mean a tonic seizure, where it's the full body convulsing, but I'm just being thorough.

Not necessarily convulsing. It's overload of the senses and the processing parts of the brain which render the person unable to function for a period of time. So far I put paralyzed for a few hours as a place holder (yeah I know they normally last minutes but... I didn't want it to be mechanically worthless as a penalty).

Tanuki Tales
2013-12-04, 07:58 PM
Not necessarily convulsing. It's overload of the senses and the processing parts of the brain which render the person unable to function for a period of time. So far I put paralyzed for a few hours as a place holder (yeah I know they normally last minutes but... I didn't want it to be mechanically worthless as a penalty).

Dazed sounds better.

Stake A Vamp
2013-12-04, 08:18 PM
so. by the way. the first Draft of the Automaton is up and ready for critique. hit me with your best shot:cool:

Milo v3
2013-12-04, 08:37 PM
Dazed sounds better.

Akay, changed it.

Also, do the entries need to have completed fluff to count as complete for the competiton? I'm pretty sure they do, but I'm not sure.

Tanuki Tales
2013-12-04, 08:40 PM
Akay, changed it.

Also, do the entries need to have completed fluff to count as complete for the competiton? I'm pretty sure they do, but I'm not sure.

No, fluff is not requisite to be considered complete. Does it significantly help? Oh gods yes; I can tell you a fluff-less entry needs amazing mechanics for me to consider it deserves a trophy (when I'm tiebreaking or giving out Judge's Choice).

Stake A Vamp
2013-12-04, 08:58 PM
part of me feels like the automaton might be a better PrC. if i later decide that. could i change it to be so? just wondering.

Milo v3
2013-12-04, 09:04 PM
No, fluff is not requisite to be considered complete. Does it significantly help? Oh gods yes; I can tell you a fluff-less entry needs amazing mechanics for me to consider it deserves a trophy (when I'm tiebreaking or giving out Judge's Choice).
Ok thats good. 'Cause I was not going to be able think of Average names for the six races. But if fluff isn't technically crucial I can probably skip that part and be fine. :smalltongue:

part of me feels like the automaton might be a better PrC. if i later decide that. could i change it to be so? just wondering.
Well I used to turn PrC's into base classes, so it should work the other way around to shouldn't it?

gr8artist
2013-12-05, 03:30 AM
so, for this one I've got this idea of a blasphemer druid, who takes the power of technology alongside his naturey magic. But I can't think of any cool abilities he would have. A druid in armor, with a gun, and... what?
Other ideas include a technology mystery for the oracle, and a crazed inventor who functions like the alchemist but he makes temporary use magical items.
So, I'm asking for opinions. Should I write up the...
A) Blasphemer druid, with metal armor and guns
B) Inventor, able to create temporary magical items on the fly
C) Technology oracle, with strange new powers

I've got the best flavor for A, and the worst for C; but the best idea for mechanics for C, and the worst for A...

Milo v3
2013-12-05, 10:07 PM
so, for this one I've got this idea of a blasphemer druid, who takes the power of technology alongside his naturey magic. But I can't think of any cool abilities he would have. A druid in armor, with a gun, and... what?
Other ideas include a technology mystery for the oracle, and a crazed inventor who functions like the alchemist but he makes temporary use magical items.
So, I'm asking for opinions. Should I write up the...
A) Blasphemer druid, with metal armor and guns
B) Inventor, able to create temporary magical items on the fly
C) Technology oracle, with strange new powers

I've got the best flavor for A, and the worst for C; but the best idea for mechanics for C, and the worst for A...

Druid could have nano virus's. His variant of wildshaping could be shaping his body into weapons and armour. Robotic/Cyborg animal companion. Umm.. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Also, the mechanics for my races are all up on the thread. I just need to do the flavour now... and maybe some feats...

SassyQuatch
2013-12-06, 06:21 PM
Well, I was going to be serious, but then I decided that the other idea (based off of the one posted) was better for my personal game.

That, and the other idea would need it's own thread and not just a post or two. And I'm busier than I thought and wanted to get an entry in.

Milo v3
2013-12-06, 07:47 PM
Yay three entries :smallbiggrin:
... Though there isn't a single one which is completely serious yet... Interesting

malonkey1
2013-12-06, 08:19 PM
Well, Milo, most of my entries were at least a little serious, and I wanted to portray a robotic character that pretty much actively revolts against Aasimov's laws on a daily basis. I was gonna stat up Bender Bending Rodriguez later.

Tanuki Tales
2013-12-06, 08:25 PM
We could always do a contest themed around serious entries. :smalltongue:

Stake A Vamp
2013-12-06, 08:38 PM
... Though there isn't a single one which is completely serious yet... Interesting

Mine was meant to be serious.:smallfrown:

Milo v3
2013-12-06, 08:48 PM
Mine was meant to be serious.:smallfrown:

Wops, I scrolled past it by accident. Sorry. :smallfrown:
Two silly ones, one serious, and one mostly serious.

SassyQuatch
2013-12-07, 12:07 AM
We could always do a contest themed around serious entries. :smalltongue:
Who would vote for that? :smallsigh:

DawnbringerSO
2013-12-07, 07:19 AM

Don't worry, mine will be serious.

Stake A Vamp
2013-12-07, 03:20 PM
just because the trophy have not (as best i know) been made for last month competition, would it be too difficult to put "Just this once, everybody wins!"? it's a doctor who referene and i feel, as there are only 3, it is quite relevant.:smallbiggrin:

sengmeng
2013-12-07, 03:47 PM
Well, Milo, most of my entries were at least a little serious, and I wanted to portray a robotic character that pretty much actively revolts against Aasimov's laws on a daily basis. I was gonna stat up Bender Bending Rodriguez later.

You forgot 40% empty :smallbiggrin:

He should get some kind of storage space or bonus to hide things on his person.

malonkey1
2013-12-07, 05:03 PM
You forgot 40% empty :smallbiggrin:

He should get some kind of storage space or bonus to hide things on his person.

I knew I was forgetting one! Jesus, my HEAD is 40% empty.

Tanuki Tales
2013-12-07, 05:37 PM
Guys, I'm taking a break.

I should be back before January, but if not, I leave things in either Milo's, Gr8's or Malonkey's hands.

malonkey1
2013-12-07, 05:47 PM
Uh, sure, see you next month, man.

SassyQuatch
2013-12-07, 06:09 PM
just because the trophy have not (as best i know) been made for last month competition, would it be too difficult to put "Just this once, everybody wins!"? it's a doctor who referene and i feel, as there are only 3, it is quite relevant.:smallbiggrin:
Well, only two people have bothered to vote, so....

Milo v3
2013-12-07, 08:40 PM
Guys, I'm taking a break.

I should be back before January, but if not, I leave things in either Milo's, Gr8's or Malonkey's hands.

.... Not sure why I'm on that list but ok...

gr8artist
2013-12-07, 11:06 PM
Uh... so, whose hands did this get left in?
I'll try and contribute, but I'm pretty forgetful about dates and stuff.
I'll try and vote for the november entries on monday.
I'll try and make an entry on monday or tuesday. (Leaning toward the inventor)

Also, I'm working on some houserules for my next campaign, and I'd appreciate any feedback. Link in sig.

malonkey1
2013-12-07, 11:11 PM
I'll take over, if nobody else wants to.

SamBurke
2013-12-08, 07:55 PM
Just got back... uh... what just happened?

Milo v3
2013-12-08, 08:34 PM

Tanuki left some of us in-charge apparently.

Stake A Vamp
2013-12-08, 08:36 PM

ah, sam. have i a tale to relate.

Our ever stalwart and brilliant leader, Tanuki tales, has withdrawn temporarily for reasons we are not privy to. but fear not, my fellow brewer, for in his wisdom, he has left three lieutenants, Milo, Gr8 and Malonkey, to care for his creation. upon them falls the burden of not only making the contests, but making them great. fear not my friend, for we are in good hands

Milo v3
2013-12-08, 08:37 PM

Our ever stalwart and brilliant leader, Tanuki tales, has withdrawn temporarily for reasons we are not privy to. but fear not, my fellow brewer, for in his wisdom, he has left three lieutenants, Milo, Gr8 and Malonkey, to care for his creation. upon them falls the burden of not only making the contests, but making them great. fear not my friend, for we are in good hands

*Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap*

malonkey1
2013-12-08, 08:48 PM
Unless either Milo v3 or gr8artist want to do it, I'd be willing to do so.

Milo v3
2013-12-08, 08:58 PM
Unless either Milo v3 or gr8artist want to do it, I'd be willing to do so.

I'm busy with Gramarie stuff, so I'm fine with you doing it.

SamBurke
2013-12-08, 10:48 PM

Ah. Ah... And a great sorrow fell upon the assembled masses... a change was brewing.

gr8artist
2013-12-08, 10:49 PM
Like I said, I'll probably forget stuff. So sure, you can have it.
Also, doing this contest monthly may be causing some burn-out. Just an observation, though maybe making it a bi-monthly or 45 day contest might give people more time to develop and critique.
Of course, the holidays are just rough for stuff like this.

SamBurke
2013-12-08, 10:55 PM
Burnout is right. I can only take one or two in a row before needing a break.

Stake A Vamp
2013-12-08, 11:19 PM
*Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap*

Ah. Ah... And a great sorrow fell upon the assembled masses... a change was brewing.

yay, two responses showing the emotions i intended to invoke, im a succsessful speech-er:elan:

and my friends, the duty of the pathfinder Grab Bag Competition's continuity falls not only upon tanuki's chosen, but upon is as well. we must be the best we possibly can be. we must respect them, as much, or as i would argue, more than we would tanuki. for he stepped up and willingly ran the contests, but they, they had this leadership thrust upon them. there is not a single doubt in my mind that they will rise to meet this task, and we, as the competitors, friends, and gamers that we are, must support them, as i have no doubt we shall!

malonkey1
2013-12-09, 08:10 AM
...Moment of silence...

Alright, I'll take the reins. First off, we are getting rid of this nasty old wallpaper. Seriously, the mold's a health problem. Next we're replacing the tapestris in the grand hall and...*Continues for a few hours*

Milo v3
2013-12-09, 08:28 AM
...Moment of silence...

Alright, I'll take the reins. First off, we are getting rid of this nasty old wallpaper. Seriously, the mold's a health problem. Next we're replacing the tapestris in the grand hall and...*Continues for a few hours*

I wonder how Tanuki will react to your redecorating :smalltongue:

SamBurke
2013-12-09, 09:53 AM
Eh... it's the people that make the house, right?

gr8artist
2013-12-13, 05:54 AM
Preliminary designs for this month's entry, the Inventor, are up and available for critique. It's still a WIP, and needs a lot more inventions and schematics, but the idea should be easy to identify. He's a psuedo-caster like the artificer and alchemist, but he's got to pay more attention to resource management and tactics.
I'm also building him to multiclass well with certain concepts, like an Inventor/Sorceror, though he'll have some abilities that work well with mechanics like Ki and rage.
I'm on the fence about his at-will 4d10 touch attack at level 19. It's elemental damage, and he can buff it or extend teh range with energy, but he has a limited pool of energy per day.

SamBurke
2013-12-14, 02:31 AM
Wait, where's the link for the new contest? It's so weird not having it in Tanuki's Sig.

Milo v3
2013-12-14, 02:42 AM
Wait, where's the link for the new contest? It's so weird not having it in Tanuki's Sig.

It is in Tanuki's sig...

malonkey1
2013-12-14, 08:30 AM
Third Law

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from SCIENCE!"

Here you go, SamBurke.

Tanuki Tales
2013-12-14, 10:59 PM
New wallpaper?

Ugh...

And I just got that mold how I wanted it. :smalltongue:

And here you guys were ready to bury me. :smallsigh:

Well, I'm back. Just needed a week between finals, a death and taking an introspective on my relationship with this site.

I saw that burnout was brought up: Maybe we should make this contest once every two months then?

Milo v3
2013-12-14, 11:05 PM
I saw that burnout was brought up: Maybe we should make this contest once every two months then?

I'm fine either way.

malonkey1
2013-12-15, 12:01 AM
New wallpaper?

Ugh...

And I just got that mold how I wanted it. :smalltongue:

And here you guys were ready to bury me. :smallsigh:

Well, I'm back. Just needed a week between finals, a death and taking an introspective on my relationship with this site.

Welcome back, Tanta. I hope everything's alright.

gr8artist
2013-12-15, 12:53 AM
Did you say a death? I'm sorry to hear that. Take as much time as you need, man.

Tanuki Tales
2013-12-15, 11:26 AM
Thanks guys, but I'm good. I just ended up needing a week away from everything to clear my head and get my things in order.

So, Milo weighed in, what about everyone else? Do you guys want to make the contest a two-month affair instead of one month? Or 45 days or...?

caledscratcher
2013-12-15, 02:08 PM
My personal preference would be 45 days, with a variance of about 5. Also, quick question: are we permitted to convert/remake 3rd party 3.5e products as submissions? Because a Skortched Urf' Studios PDF gave me a fantastic idea for a base class...

Stake A Vamp
2013-12-15, 02:09 PM
Thanks guys, but I'm good. I just ended up needing a week away from everything to clear my head and get my things in order.

So, Milo weighed in, what about everyone else? Do you guys want to make the contest a two-month affair instead of one month? Or 45 days or...?

personally, i like it at a month. but if the majority says it should be longer, i think 45 days would be better.

i don't really feel much burnout. but then, i have an obscene amount of free time, and my superpower is endless enthusiasm.

Tanuki Tales
2013-12-15, 03:45 PM
My personal preference would be 45 days, with a variance of about 5. Also, quick question: are we permitted to convert/remake 3rd party 3.5e products as submissions? Because a Skortched Urf' Studios PDF gave me a fantastic idea for a base class...

Convert, no, but you can "remake" in so far as your entry is inspired or based upon it.

gr8artist
2013-12-16, 12:59 AM
It might be just the holidays talking, but 45 days might be good to try.
My problem is that there are too many other things I want to do... game nights, TV shows, campaign building, League of Legends, sexy times... Too many irons in the fire for me.
I am, however, making progress on the Tinkerer. I know I dropped the ball in the Dr. Who competition, and I apologize for that. I didn't have a good idea for this month's challenge until recently, but it's convoluted and I'm not sure I'm handling it all right.
He has several resources to manage: Manavolts (his daily energy pool), his contraptions (known, built, on standby, and ready to be built), and his schematics (character options, like rogue talents or rage powers, that also include additional contraptions or other things.
He functions by assembling contraptions, and turning them on with his manavolts when the fight/encounter start.
He casts by putting modules on his devices, and activating the modules (with manavolts) in combat. He activates all modules on a single item at the same time, so a shield equipped with 2 burning hands modules would deal up to 10d4 damage in a cone.
There is no limit to the number of devices he can have built and ready at one time, other than the equipment slots of he and his team. His main limit is on his manavolts, and how quickly he'll want to consume them. I'm guessing every battle starts with one or two bursts from him, then he settles down and uses the new buffs to maintain a narrow lead.

malonkey1
2013-12-16, 08:33 AM
I think a 2-month contest might be a good idea. More time to polish, less crunch time, and easier on everybody.

Tanuki Tales
2013-12-16, 11:41 AM
That's 3 for 45 days and 1 for 2 months. Anyone else want to weigh in?

malonkey1
2013-12-16, 03:28 PM
That's 3 for 45 days and 1 for 2 months. Anyone else want to weigh in?

Uh, about 250 pounds. Why?

SamBurke
2013-12-16, 04:32 PM
Eh, I'd say two months, probably. Especially considering it's taken me weeks to get enough free time to work for this contest, the one I've been trying to make happen for about 4 months now. :smallfrown:

Tanuki Tales
2013-12-16, 06:54 PM
Uh, about 250 pounds. Why?

Why you cheeky... :smalltongue:

So that's 3 to 2.

Tanuki Tales
2013-12-24, 09:16 AM
I'm just going to call it:

The contest will hereby be 45 days.

Now, I'll get some rundowns going on the 26th and do we want to try and muscle in picking a new theme before the end of the month?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Grammar
In your quote, you use the sentence "Then they did something wonderful, the brought me back." I think you meant "they brought" and not "the brought".
You forgot to capitalize the word "but" in the last sentence of your quote.
You should probably give your whole entry another read through. There are many cases of missing punctuation, random capitalization (or lack therefor of) and other flaws; too many for me to touch upon under the confines of a run down.

Notes
Shouldn't Metal Flesh, Magic Wards give an armor bonus and not a natural armor bonus? And by the name of the class feature, it sounds like it should be enchant-able.
Runeblade would be a better class feature if it allowed the character to choose if they wanted a flat enhancement bonus or an enchantment.
Resist Magic has an odd name since it doesn't give Spell Resistance or anything and I can't think of precedence for such an ability. It's definitely strong regardless, maybe too strong for so low a level.
Sum of the parts on the other hand is too weak a class feature for that level and is all around lame to be honest.
True Immunity is too powerful, period.
Rune Manipulation is just an awful capstone. This is something that should be just part of Runeblade, as I mentioned earlier.
I'm sorry to say, but this class is definitely boring even if you reign in and fix what I mentioned. All it gets is a magic weapon, some armor and some defenses against magical/supernatural effects. If I wanted all that, I'd play a Paladin or an Inquisitor and still have several interesting class features left over. I'd even hazard to say that the Fighter makes a more interesting class then the Automaton.

Grammar

I see nothing of note here.

Notes
I absolutely love this critter and love the legal jargon attached to it as foot notes. Great job on coming up with a genuinely humorous entry.
My only note is that I would make the Bleat App a straight cone or perhaps a burst effect instead of a ranged attack roll and give it a cooldown.

Grammar

Nothing to note here.

Notes
Bender, oh how I love thee as a character. You've done an absolutely splendid job of representing him as a race, though I wonder if he should be immune to mind influencing affects. He wasn't immune to the Brains and I thought Fry could read his thoughts in Into the Green Yonder.
I think you meant Fire Resistance instead of Heat Resistance, by the by.

Grammar

Nothing to note here.

Notes
I really do love this concept, I really do. It's like being an artificer, but without all that Tier 1 baggage. Unfortunately, it seems incomplete, so I hope you finish it in time.

DawnbringerSO
2013-12-29, 07:05 PM
Thank you very much for extending the contest. Added some very welcome breathing space.

SassyQuatch
2013-12-29, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the feedback and catch on the Bleat App. I was short on time and hammered out the iSheep in about an hour then almost forgot about it.

Changed it to a breath weapon (cone) and added a cooldown in exchange for a slightly larger damage die (but not too much since you can't dodge the power of Baa). Following the monster rules it got a shortened entry under Special Attacks, and a full entry under Special Abilities. Also caught a typo in the fine print. Should hopefully be complete now.

Stake A Vamp
2013-12-30, 12:45 PM
Grammar
In your quote, you use the sentence "Then they did something wonderful, the brought me back." I think you meant "they brought" and not "the brought".
You forgot to capitalize the word "but" in the last sentence of your quote.
You should probably give your whole entry another read through. There are many cases of missing punctuation, random capitalization (or lack therefor of) and other flaws; too many for me to touch upon under the confines of a run down.

Notes
Shouldn't Metal Flesh, Magic Wards give an armor bonus and not a natural armor bonus? And by the name of the class feature, it sounds like it should be enchant-able.
Runeblade would be a better class feature if it allowed the character to choose if they wanted a flat enhancement bonus or an enchantment.
Resist Magic has an odd name since it doesn't give Spell Resistance or anything and I can't think of precedence for such an ability. It's definitely strong regardless, maybe too strong for so low a level.
Sum of the parts on the other hand is too weak a class feature for that level and is all around lame to be honest.
True Immunity is too powerful, period.
Rune Manipulation is just an awful capstone. This is something that should be just part of Runeblade, as I mentioned earlier.
I'm sorry to say, but this class is definitely boring even if you reign in and fix what I mentioned. All it gets is a magic weapon, some armor and some defenses against magical/supernatural effects. If I wanted all that, I'd play a Paladin or an Inquisitor and still have several interesting class features left over. I'd even hazard to say that the Fighter makes a more interesting class then the Automaton.

sooo... this is evidently lackluster, can i just scrap it and create a new entry. as i have 15 days left?

i'm kinda thinking the gnomish equivalent of the arcane archer, or the dwarven defender.

Tanuki Tales
2013-12-30, 12:58 PM
Thank you very much for extending the contest. Added some very welcome breathing space.

You're welcome.

sooo... this is evidently lackluster, can i just scrap it and create a new entry. as i have 15 days left?

i'm kinda thinking the gnomish equivalent of the arcane archer, or the dwarven defender.

You have basically a little over half a month, so go ahead. Sorry if I came off harsh.

gr8artist
2013-12-31, 12:35 AM
Working on the Tinkerer, glad it got a good review. I'm just running a little low on ideas, and I know I need a lot more to fully flesh out the schematics options.
Also, I could use a few more contraptions, and a couple of class abilities other than schematic / voltblast / schematic / voltblast / etc.
Any suggestions?
I'm trying to work on schematics that let the tinkerer multiclass easier, or emulate other classes easier. Alchemists (bombs) and gunslingers (guns and grit) are the easy options. Not sure how to meld tinkerer with bard/cleric/druid/etc.
Also, a method to be Wolverine has been added. It takes 1 day + 1 day per limb, and costs 300 gold per day to get a metal-coated skeleton.

Stake A Vamp
2013-12-31, 04:33 PM
so, polling the contestors... should i make the gnomish engineer (Gnome only PrC, similar to the elven archer or dwarven defender) require divine or arcane casting?

reasons it could be arcane

arcane requires intelect
arcane is flashier
arcane is generally associated with constructs and magic items

Reasons it could be divine

gnome think of tinkering as sacred
tinkering, building, and creating are inegral parts of thier religion
divine is not often assosiated with constructs and magic items

anyone want to weigh in...

no malonkey, not that way.:smalltongue:

SamBurke
2013-12-31, 05:16 PM
I would go with arcane casting, probably.

Though, there is an equally interesting option of having two paths: the arcane and the divine, each having differing abilities, except for a few convergences (maybe on the menu of options?)

gr8artist
2014-01-01, 02:59 PM
It might be fun to leave it open ended. Let them take the PrC with arcane or divine casting, whatever they choose.

Tanuki Tales
2014-01-01, 08:39 PM
Are you guys ready to start deciding on next month's theme? :smallsmile:

Milo v3
2014-01-01, 08:50 PM
I suppose......

caledscratcher
2014-01-01, 08:51 PM
Sure thing!

Tanuki Tales
2014-01-01, 08:57 PM
I suppose......

Sorry Milo, things keep getting in the way for me to sit down and do a run down for your entry. :smallfrown:

Milo v3
2014-01-01, 09:20 PM
Sorry Milo, things keep getting in the way for me to sit down and do a run down for your entry. :smallfrown:

It's ok. I mean... The entry is longer than all your posts in the thread.... Might take some time @[email protected]

Adam1949
2014-01-01, 10:40 PM
Are you guys ready to start deciding on next month's theme? :smallsmile:

Am I allowed to help decide?

Milo v3
2014-01-01, 10:43 PM
Am I allowed to help decide?

I believe anyone is able to vote.

malonkey1
2014-01-01, 11:13 PM
I'm ready for the next theme.

Tanuki Tales
2014-01-01, 11:21 PM
I believe anyone is able to vote.

And to offer up ideas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

{table=head]Proposed Name|Theme
We Built This City (On Rock and Roll)|Rock songs
The Mythic Journey|Mythic characters and High Fantasy
Missing a Common Sense|Entries lack one of the five senses
Saying Goodbye|Entries based upon what immediately precedes death
That kills people Carrol!|Undead
[/table]

There are the four top finalist from the last round and one of my own (inspired by a meme of a show I'm watching lately). Everyone can give two theme concepts and once we hit sixteen we'll start voting.

I forgot to mention this, sorry, but trophies will be back order for the near future. I used to use Microsoft Power Point to make the trophies, but my trial with that software has expired. I'm currently looking for alternatives though.

Stake A Vamp
2014-01-01, 11:22 PM
sooo...

Take us seriously! Zarzuket commands it!:smalltongue:

topic, gnomes

gnomes are such an overlooked and underappreciated race...
i want to see some gnome-love

EDIT: as i get two choices
ventrue life, vampires.

Adam1949
2014-01-01, 11:44 PM
[/table]

Well, if I were to decide based on just the table alone, I'd want "Missing a Common Sense", although I can see (lol) a blind swordsman entry pretty quickly.

topic, gnomes

gnomes are such an overlooked and underappreciated race...
i want to see some gnome-love

I actually like this idea too. "Go Big or Go Gnome"!

Tanuki Tales
2014-01-01, 11:49 PM
Go Big or Go Gnome|Gnomes
[/table]

Tallied to here.

malonkey1
2014-01-02, 12:18 AM
Drizz't Clone: Resurrecting and salvaging clichéd character types!

Stake A Vamp
2014-01-02, 01:14 AM
Well, if I were to decide based on just the table alone, I'd want "Missing a Common Sense", although I can see (lol) a blind swordsman entry pretty quickly.

I actually like this idea too. "Go Big or Go Gnome"!

yep. that is better.

gr8artist
2014-01-02, 01:55 AM
Stake a Vamp requested Ventrue Life: Vampires.

I suppose I'll nominate the following:
In Honor of the Giant: Entries based on webcomics (must include webcomic link)
A Pyrrhic Procedure (or, One Step Forward, Two Steps Back): Victory and success at great cost.

Legendary League: Entries based on the increasingly popular MOBA League of Legends was almost a nomination, but I figured we might alienate some people if we went with that.

On to the present entry ~ I think I'm going to scrap the Tinkerer. I was running into roadblocks and dead-ends left and right, so I'm changing direction a little bit. It's a half-step away from the theme, but I'm making a Scientist base class instead. Should get most of the same tricks the tinkerer had, but they'll be more a subset of his powers, and the flavor will make a lot more sense. Until I know for sure what I'm going to do, I'm going to leave the Tinkerer where it is, for reference and a fallback plan.

SassyQuatch
2014-01-02, 03:42 AM
Snakes on a Plane: serpent-based outsiders, their cultures, and their foes
What's in the Box?: randomness inside (items, conjurations, surprises)

gr8artist
2014-01-02, 04:37 AM
Question about my Scientist's experiments (class flavor specialization, like rage powers or rogue talents)... Should I categorize them by level or by type? Or should I categorize them at all? Different experiments will require different ranks in certain colleges. Should they be spoiler'd based on the number of ranks they require, or by the colleges they fall under?

caledscratcher
2014-01-02, 05:14 AM
Sorcerous Specialties, Wizardly Ways: Specialized arcane casters: the contest!
Darwinian Discoveries: New creature types other than the standard Humanoid, Monstrous Humanoid, Vermin, Animal, etc.

Tanuki Tales
2014-01-02, 12:24 PM
Drizz't Clone|Resurrecting and salvaging clichéd character types!
Ventrue Life|Vampires
In Honor of the Giant|Entries based on OotS.
A Pyrrhic Procedure|Victory and success at great costs
Sorcerous Specialties, Wizardly Ways|Specialized casters
Darwinian Discoveries|New creature types
[/table]

Tallied to here.

@Sassy: I feel like your Snakes on a Plane might be too specific to really make a good theme and I have no clue what What's in the Box is exactly supposed to be.

malonkey1
2014-01-02, 01:34 PM
@Sassy: I feel like your Snakes on a Plane might be too specific to really make a good theme...

GOOD! I’ve had it with these monkey fighting snakes on this MONDAY TO FRIDAY PLANE!!

and I have no clue what What's in the Box is exactly supposed to be.

WHAT'S IN THE BOX!?!?

Stake A Vamp
2014-01-02, 02:13 PM
WHAT'S IN THE BOX!?!?

all of time and space, my friend. it's smaller on the outside

Adam1949
2014-01-02, 02:22 PM
What about this one:
Creative Differences: Making a change to a classic thing (for example, Paladin or Necromancy), without going the old route that is familiar to everyone (in the above cases, Antipaladin or Good-aligned Deathless). Obviously works better as an archetype than a base class, but for everything else it works pretty well, I'd think.

3WhiteFox3
2014-01-02, 02:34 PM
Taste My Steel - Swordsmanship, Kendo, Weapons-Based Martial Arts.
Written In The Stars - The Future, Destiny, Astrology, Astronomy and Divination.

gr8artist
2014-01-02, 05:17 PM
In Honor of the Giant was intended to use any webcomic, not just OotS. But, if you feel like it would work better this way, that's cool too.

Also, the box may or may not contain a dead cat. We won't know 'til we open it.

Edit: Anyone care to weigh in on this ability I'm giving the Scientist? I'm concerned about phrasing and clarity more than power or balance, because 10 is kinda' a dead level for the scientist. Unexpected Talent: At 10th level, the scientist develops a new ability to augment his studies or help him pursue a desired path of learning. He may gain any one class feature from any base class, as though he had gained a level in that class. In most cases, this means that he must gain a first-level feature, but he may instead gain a feature from what would be his next level in a class he had multiclassed into. For example, a rogue 1 / scientist 10 could take a rogue's evasion, because he would have gained it if he had gained another level in rogue.
He may not select any feature that includes options or multiple varieties (like all of bardic performance), though he may choose to gain a single option or variety from them (gaining only the inspire courage effect of bardic performance). Any ability he gains in this way he gains as though he'd gained only one level in that ability's original class, so taking a monk's unarmed strike damage will not give him 2d10 at level twenty.
Most scientists choose abilities that help them qualify for prestige classes, or abilities that grant them additional ranks in a scientific college.

Stake A Vamp
2014-01-03, 12:10 AM
so, the Gnomish Tinker is done, and the Priest of the Living Effigy is begun

reviews are apreciated.

thanking you all in advance for your helpful feedback
-stake a vamp

VoodooPaladin
2014-01-03, 02:35 AM
A Collar As A Crown: Peons, serfs, slaves. Knights, thanes, champions. For those who'd take a path to power found directly beneath another's boot.

Bully The Bullies: Cutting fiends and horrors down to size.

Nothing But Style: You will care what the differences between "Warthog", "Pig", and "Boar" styles are.

There's not enough room for all of those, by my count, so pick whichever you like.

SassyQuatch
2014-01-03, 07:37 AM
@Sassy: I feel like your Snakes on a Plane might be too specific to really make a good theme
Understood. I would personally tend to disagree just on the basis of Naga and things that would surround them (not even getting into new outsiders, organizations, etc.) but that's just me. Besides...

GOOD! I’ve had it with these monkey fighting snakes on this MONDAY TO FRIDAY PLANE!!

... Though I could totally see broadening the theme to Snakes. Why Did It Have To Be Snakes?

and I have no clue what What's in the Box is exactly supposed to be.
This one was too broad I suppose. Things based much along the lines of magician tricks, random effects, secret contingencies, a cat (Alive? Dead? Undead?). Something hidden from the outside, but with power inside (or a cat playing with yard if going for random effects).

3WhiteFox3
2014-01-03, 12:26 PM
Edit: Anyone care to weigh in on this ability I'm giving the Scientist? I'm concerned about phrasing and clarity more than power or balance, because 10 is kinda' a dead level for the scientist.
*Snip*

That seems pretty clear to me. Can you grab a caster's spellcasting with it? And if so, how does that work?

gr8artist
2014-01-03, 08:08 PM
Good call, Fox. I've added relevant information to the ability to cover spellcasting and psionics, as well as to clarify what he can and cannot choose.
At 10th level, the scientist develops a new ability to augment his studies or help him pursue a desired path of learning. He may gain any one class feature from any base class, as though he had gained a level in that class. In most cases, this means that he must gain a first-level feature, but he may instead gain a feature from what would be his next level in a class he had multiclassed into. For example, a rogue 1 / scientist 10 could take a rogue's evasion, because he would have gained it if he had gained another level in rogue.
He may not select any feature that includes options or multiple varieties (like all of bardic performance), though he may choose to gain a single option or variety from them (gaining only the inspire courage effect of bardic performance). Any ability he gains in this way he gains as though he'd gained only one level in that ability's original class, so taking a monk's unarmed strike damage will not give him 2d10 at level twenty.
Most scientists choose abilities that help them qualify for prestige classes, or abilities that grant them additional ranks in a scientific college. He may not select any of the following class qualities: hit dice, save bonuses, base attack bonus, or skill ranks. He may gain class skills, weapon and armor proficiencies, spellcasting or psionic powers.
If he chooses an increase in spellcasting, he gains a bonus to his caster level as appropriate, as well as the spells per day (and spells known) as if he were taking a level in spellcasting base class or a prestige class that improves spellcasting.
If he chooses psionic powers, he gains (additional) power points and powers known as though he had gained a level in the psionic class of his choice.
The scientist must follow any changes to class abilities caused by his selection of archetypes. For example, a scientist with 2 levels as a vivisectionist alchemist would gain sneak attack, not bombs, for learning a 3rd level alchemist feature. If the scientist gains a feature from a class he has not taken a level in, he may choose to follow an archetype for that class when making this decision.
I also want to add in a class feature that gives the scientist a laboratory, but I don't know how it would work or how I would define it exactly.

Tanuki Tales
2014-01-06, 11:20 AM
Understood. I would personally tend to disagree just on the basis of Naga and things that would surround them (not even getting into new outsiders, organizations, etc.) but that's just me. Besides...

Well, "Snake Outsider races" just seems more narrow than "extra-planar snake creatures" or just "snake creatures" in general.

This one was too broad I suppose. Things based much along the lines of magician tricks, random effects, secret contingencies, a cat (Alive? Dead? Undead?). Something hidden from the outside, but with power inside (or a cat playing with yard if going for random effects).

If you could clean that up to be a simply understood phrase, it'd be fine.

{table=head]Proposed Name|Theme|Votes
We Built This City (On Rock and Roll)|Rock songs|0
The Mythic Journey|Mythic characters and High Fantasy|0
Missing a Common Sense|Entries lack one of the five senses|0
Saying Goodbye|Entries based upon what immediately precedes death|0
That kills people Carrol!|Undead|0
Go Big or Go Gnome|Gnomes|0
Drizz't Clone|Resurrecting and salvaging clichéd character types! |0
Ventrue Life|Vampires|0
In Honor of the Giant|Entries based on OotS.|0
A Pyrrhic Procedure|Victory and success at great costs|0
Sorcerous Specialties, Wizardly Ways|Specialized casters|0
Darwinian Discoveries|New creature types|0
Creative Differences|New twists on classic concepts|0
Taste My Steel|Swordsmanship, Kendo, Weapons-Based Martial Arts|0
Written In The Stars|The Future, Destiny, Astrology, Astronomy and Divination|0
A Collar As A Crown|Peons, serfs, slaves. Knights, thanes, champions. For those who'd take a path to power found directly beneath another's boot|0
[/table]

Alright everyone, you know the drill! You get 8 votes in this first round, no more than one going to the same entry. At the ending of the voting period, we'll be cutting away half of these hopefuls and voting through again and again till we have a winner! This first round will remain open untill 11:59 pm EST on the 9th!

Adam1949
2014-01-06, 11:40 AM
I'm gonna throw my votes into the following:

Drizz't Clone|Resurrecting and salvaging clichéd character types!
Creative Differences|New twists on classic concepts
Taste My Steel|Swordsmanship, Kendo, Weapons-Based Martial Arts
Written In The Stars|The Future, Destiny, Astrology, Astronomy and Divination
[/table]

I assume 8 votes, if I read correctly?

malonkey1
2014-01-06, 11:54 AM
We Built This City (On Rock and Roll)
Missing a Common Sense
Go Big or Go Gnome
Drizz't Clone
In Honor of the Giant
A Pyrrhic Procedure
Sorcerous Specialties, Wizarding Ways
Taste My Steel

caledscratcher
2014-01-06, 01:53 PM
Alright, my votes go towards...

We Built This City
The Mythic Journey
Saying Goodbye
Go Big or Go Gnome
Sorcerous Specialties, Wizardly Ways
Darwinian Discoveries
Written In the Stars
Collar As A Crown

Stake A Vamp
2014-01-06, 03:59 PM
Saying Goodbye
That kills people Carrol!
Go Big or Go Gnome
Ventrue Life
In Honor of the Giant
A Pyrrhic Procedure
Darwinian Discoveries

SassyQuatch
2014-01-06, 04:49 PM
If you could clean that up to be a simply understood phrase, it'd be fine.
Well, maybe I'll have that ready for next time since we're all full right now. :smallsmile:

Missing a Common Sense
That kills people Carrol!
Drizz't Clone
A Pyrrhic Procedure
Taste My Steel
Written In The Stars
A Collar As A Crown

3WhiteFox3
2014-01-06, 05:12 PM
Written In The Stars
Taste My Steel
In Honor of the Giant
The Mythic Journey
Drizz't Clone
Creative Differences

gr8artist
2014-01-07, 07:45 AM
We Built this City
Missing a Common Sense
Saying Goodbye
In Honor of the Giant
A Pyrrhic Procedure
Darwinian Discoveries
Creative Differences
(Note that I'll still vote for IHotG if it's specifically OotS focused, rather than generic webcomics)

Milo v3
2014-01-07, 08:11 AM
1. Mythic Journey
2. Missing a Common Sense
3. Ventrue Life
4. In Honor of the Giant
5. A Pyrrhic Procedure
6. Sorcerous Specialties, Wizardly Ways
7. Creative Differences
8. Written In The Stars

Tanuki Tales
2014-01-08, 04:10 PM
We Built This City (On Rock and Roll)|Rock songs|6
The Mythic Journey|Mythic characters and High Fantasy|3
Missing a Common Sense|Entries lack one of the five senses|5
Saying Goodbye|Entries based upon what immediately precedes death|3
That kills people Carrol!|Undead|3
Go Big or Go Gnome|Gnomes|4
Drizz't Clone|Resurrecting and salvaging clichéd character types! |4
Ventrue Life|Vampires|2
In Honor of the Giant|Entries based on OotS.|5
A Pyrrhic Procedure|Victory and success at great costs|5
Sorcerous Specialties, Wizardly Ways|Specialized casters|6
Darwinian Discoveries|New creature types|3
Creative Differences|New twists on classic concepts|4
Taste My Steel|Swordsmanship, Kendo, Weapons-Based Martial Arts|4
Written In The Stars|The Future, Destiny, Astrology, Astronomy and Divination|5
A Collar As A Crown|Peons, serfs, slaves. Knights, thanes, champions. For those who'd take a path to power found directly beneath another's boot|2
[/table]

Votes tallied to here.

VoodooPaladin
2014-01-09, 11:39 PM
We Built This City
Missing a Common Sense
Go Big or Go Gnome
Creative Differences
Taste My Steel
Written In The Stars
A Collar As A Crown

Tanuki Tales
2014-01-10, 09:08 PM
We Built This City (On Rock and Roll)|Rock songs|7
The Mythic Journey|Mythic characters and High Fantasy|3
Missing a Common Sense|Entries lack one of the five senses|6
Saying Goodbye|Entries based upon what immediately precedes death|3
That kills people Carrol!|Undead|3
Go Big or Go Gnome|Gnomes|5
Drizz't Clone|Resurrecting and salvaging clichéd character types! |4
Ventrue Life|Vampires|2
In Honor of the Giant|Entries based on OotS.|5
A Pyrrhic Procedure|Victory and success at great costs|5
Sorcerous Specialties, Wizardly Ways|Specialized casters|7
Darwinian Discoveries|New creature types|3
Creative Differences|New twists on classic concepts|5
Taste My Steel|Swordsmanship, Kendo, Weapons-Based Martial Arts|5
Written In The Stars|The Future, Destiny, Astrology, Astronomy and Divination|6
A Collar As A Crown|Peons, serfs, slaves. Knights, thanes, champions. For those who'd take a path to power found directly beneath another's boot|3
[/table]

Tallied to here.

A Pyrrhic Procedure|Victory and success at great costs|0
Creative Differences|New twists on classic concepts|0
Written In The Stars|The Future, Destiny, Astrology, Astronomy and Divination|0
[/table]

Same as before, except this time you get only 4 votes. Voting will remain open until 11:59 pm EST on the 12th.

Milo v3
2014-01-10, 09:17 PM
Missing a Common Sense
A Pyrrhic Procedure
Creative Differences

Adam1949
2014-01-10, 09:54 PM
Missing a Common Sense
Creative Differences
Taste My Steel

EDIT: I'm really sad my Gnomes didn't get through... :smallsigh:

3WhiteFox3
2014-01-10, 10:26 PM
Taste My Steel
Written In The Stars
Creative Differences
In Honor of the Giant

malonkey1
2014-01-10, 10:33 PM
Missing a Common Sense
In Honor of the Giant
Sorcerous Specialties, Wizarding Ways

SassyQuatch
2014-01-11, 12:01 AM
Missing a Common Sense
Taste My Steel
Written In The Stars

gr8artist
2014-01-11, 03:57 AM
We Built this City (on Rock and Roll)
In Honor of the Giant
A Pyrrhic Procedure

Stake A Vamp
2014-01-11, 09:59 AM
taste my steel
In Honor of the Giant
A Pyrrhic Procedure

Tanuki Tales
2014-01-11, 10:51 AM
We Built This City (On Rock and Roll)|Rock songs|4
Missing a Common Sense|Entries lack one of the five senses|4
In Honor of the Giant|Entries based on OotS.|4
A Pyrrhic Procedure|Victory and success at great costs|3
Sorcerous Specialties, Wizardly Ways|Specialized casters|4
Creative Differences|New twists on classic concepts|3
Taste My Steel|Swordsmanship, Kendo, Weapons-Based Martial Arts|4
Written In The Stars|The Future, Destiny, Astrology, Astronomy and Divination|2
[/table]

Tallied to here.

@Adam: There's always next time.

caledscratcher
2014-01-12, 09:46 AM
-We Built this City
-Sorcerous Specialties, Wizardly Ways
-Taste My Steel
-Written In the Stars

MooseBite
2014-01-14, 12:15 AM
-We Built This City
-Taste My Steel
-Creative Differences
-A Pyrrhic Procedure

gr8artist
2014-01-14, 04:55 AM
Woohoo! Fiance' finally makes an appearance!

Anyway, got enough of the Scientist up that it's an entry. Formatting is very distracting right now, working on fixing that so it's easily readable.
I'm worried that the physiology perk is too good, but I think the physiology experiments are weaker, so it should balance out.
At level 16 he gets to gestalt as though simultaneously gaining a level in each of his classes. It's kinda' his capstone, since the class is designed to be multiclassed. I'm worried it might be overpowered, but since he'd be several levels behind due to multiclassing, I think it's ok. He can gestalt two more times with an experiment that comes available immediately afterward.
Sciblast is pretty useful, so its damage is a little lower than sneak attack or bombs, and I like the exponential growth to it. One of the experiments increases in potency with the number of dice dealt by the sciblast, so it's kind of an exponential perk as well, and is designed as such.
Many experiments have failure chances (d%), but I'm debating changing these to a skill check. Thoughts?

DawnbringerSO
2014-01-14, 10:43 AM
Do we have until 12 AM to finish, or 11:59 PM on the 15th to finish?

Tanuki Tales
2014-01-14, 01:46 PM
Do we have until 12 AM to finish, or 11:59 PM on the 15th to finish?

11:59 pm, EST on the 15th; 12 am would make it the 16th.

And sorry, things have gotten really, really heavy IRL just suddenly. I'll go tally up the votes and move things forward for the next round of voting.

Also, Gr8, I saw your PM and I am looking into Gimp as an alternative, thanks for the suggestion.

We Built This City (On Rock and Roll)|Rock songs|6
Missing a Common Sense|Entries lack one of the five senses|4
In Honor of the Giant|Entries based on OotS.|4
A Pyrrhic Procedure|Victory and success at great costs|4
Sorcerous Specialties, Wizardly Ways|Specialized casters|5
Creative Differences|New twists on classic concepts|4
Taste My Steel|Swordsmanship, Kendo, Weapons-Based Martial Arts|6
Written In The Stars|The Future, Destiny, Astrology, Astronomy and Divination|3
[/table]

Votes tallied to here.

[/table]

You guys know the drill, you get 2 votes and only two of these guys are moving on. I'll keep the voting open for this until we have two clear cut front runners, since we're so close to the deadline.

Adam1949
2014-01-14, 02:12 PM
We Built this City (On Rock and Roll)
Taste My Steel

Hey, maybe this time I can actually make something! :smallsmile:

malonkey1
2014-01-14, 02:15 PM
We Built This City (On Rock And Roll)
In Honor of the Giant

3WhiteFox3
2014-01-14, 02:47 PM
Taste My Steel
In Honor of the Giant

SassyQuatch
2014-01-14, 04:01 PM
Taste My Steel

caledscratcher
2014-01-14, 06:06 PM
-We Built This City
-Sorcerous Specialties, Wizardly Ways

VoodooPaladin
2014-01-15, 02:21 AM
Taste My Steel

DawnbringerSO
2014-01-15, 01:06 PM
I'd like to request one more day if that's at all possible. I've been having a lot of trouble with the family since last contest and it's been really hard on me. As such, I haven't had a lot of time for the contest. I'm hoping i'll be able to finish today, but if I don't, it will be a real shame to have fought for this theme every month only not to have managed to finish on time.

Tanuki Tales
2014-01-15, 01:07 PM
Is everyone alright with extending the contest by one more day?

sengmeng
2014-01-15, 01:48 PM
In Honor of the Giant
Taste My Steel

gr8artist
2014-01-15, 02:36 PM
Fine with me. I need to add in a few more Experiments, but I've got family dinner tonight.

Also, I vote for We Built this City and Sorcerous Specialties, Wizardly Ways

Tanuki Tales
2014-01-15, 04:29 PM
If we get a third, I'll make it so.

Milo v3
2014-01-15, 07:08 PM
I don't see why not.

In Honor of the Giant

Tanuki Tales
2014-01-15, 07:17 PM
Extended till 11:59 pm on the 16th it is then.

Stake A Vamp
2014-01-15, 10:53 PM
In Honor of the Giant

Ilorin Lorati
2014-01-16, 06:10 PM
Taste My Steel

DawnbringerSO
2014-01-16, 08:28 PM
I'm sorry, I was unable to finish.

I nearly got it done, so I will continue with it and post it on the thread with a disclaimer not to vote for it and hope for some critiques of it.

gr8artist
2014-01-17, 01:02 AM
I was working on mine right up to 11:58. Got everything I need, though. At first glance, it looks like some of the colleges are kinda' bare, but they're represented in the cross-collegiate experiment list, so there's a fairly even distribution. (still low on psiology and biology, though, I think)

Milo v3
2014-01-17, 02:25 AM
Mines not complete, but it's only missing fluff and luckily Tanuki has said that it's "complete enough" to be counted. :smallsmile:

DawnbringerSO
2014-01-17, 07:30 AM
Well I've posted what I've done so far.

DawnbringerSO
2014-01-17, 01:01 PM
1. Sorcerous Specialties, Wizardly Ways
2. Whatever has the least amount of votes at the time of me posting this.

dragonkingofthe
2014-01-17, 01:16 PM
so it's still open then? we can add entry? it says the 15th, but if things are still being added. . .

that said, ya i'm late to the party and if yall say no then, OK, i'll just wait. . . sides it's probably bit under handed to submit dragonmech themed homebrews to a third law competition.

gr8artist
2014-01-17, 02:13 PM
by my calculations that would be In Honor of the Giant, as it's currently at 5, We Built This City has 7, Taste My Steel has 6, and Sorcerous Specialties/Wizardly Ways has 5 after your vote.
So, the current total should be WBTC 7, IHOTG 6, SSWW 5, and TMS 6

Tanuki Tales
2014-01-17, 02:19 PM
Eh, I'll be nice and extend it till 11:59 pm tonight. Just please keep in mind that something like this is the exception and not the rule. I'm not a deadline nazi, but we do have them for a reason.

Edit:

Thank you Gr8 for doing the tally for the votes thus far:

[/table]

One vote this time folks and like last round we'll call it once we have a clear front runner.

Adam1949
2014-01-17, 03:03 PM
We Built This City (On Rock and Roll) is my vote.

dragonkingofthe
2014-01-17, 04:27 PM
Eh, I'll be nice and extend it till 11:59 pm tonight. Just please keep in mind that something like this is the exception and not the rule. I'm not a deadline nazi, but we do have them for a reason.

understood sir, thank you very much (begins to evil laugh)

I vote for We Built This City (On Rock and Roll)

SassyQuatch
2014-01-17, 04:57 PM

DawnbringerSO
2014-01-17, 05:02 PM
Why thank you. As that looks like it's me done.

I imagine it has rough edges, but I'm hoping you'll all like it.

3WhiteFox3
2014-01-17, 05:35 PM
In Honor of the Giant

DawnbringerSO
2014-01-17, 07:35 PM
I'm not too fond of either theme, but I'll vote for We Built This City (On Rock and Roll)

Milo v3
2014-01-17, 08:03 PM
In Honor of the Giant

malonkey1
2014-01-17, 08:48 PM

gr8artist
2014-01-17, 09:11 PM
We Built This City.
Moosebite would vote for it too, I'm sure, but she's sleeping right now.

Tanuki Tales
2014-01-17, 09:11 PM
dragonkingofthe, I'm not sure I get the context of your entry to be honest.

Milo v3
2014-01-17, 09:21 PM

Agreed.... WHITETEXT IS ANNOYING

dragonkingofthe
2014-01-17, 10:19 PM

(Sigh) i was afread of that,

For the last few weeks my Internets been dead, so I've been reading the Dragon mech (http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/13/13435.phtml) setting book which is, ahh, very different from most other settings you can play in and i think i got a bit wrapped up in that and got WAY to bleepen obtuse and for that I am sorry.

If I'm too unable to be understood then i humble withdraw with full apology's and good luck to those who remain.

caledscratcher
2014-01-17, 11:08 PM
We Built This City!

Tanuki Tales
2014-01-18, 12:36 PM
Alright, Third Law is closed up, but I need to hear back from Stake a Vamp concerning his entry before I can open the voting thread.

Unfortunately dragon, I will have to disqualify your entry. We can't require voters to have access to a book in order to understand and properly judge an entry for this contest.

dragonkingofthe
2014-01-18, 11:03 PM
Unfortunately dragon, I will have to disqualify your entry. We can't require voters to have access to a book in order to understand and properly judge an entry for this contest.

ya my fualt completely, understand sir, good luck to those who remain.

gr8artist
2014-01-19, 01:24 AM
btw, I don't think you ever closed/finished the Mad Man/Magic Box contest vote thread.

Tanuki Tales
2014-01-19, 10:42 AM
btw, I don't think you ever closed/finished the Mad Man/Magic Box contest vote thread.

No, I don't believe I did. Things got hectic around the holidays and New Year's.

I know who won that one and such and once I figure out how Gimp works, trophies will be sent and such.

DawnbringerSO
2014-01-19, 03:27 PM
I have no idea what could be done as an entry for the current competition. Any ideas floating around?

Tanuki Tales
2014-01-19, 04:42 PM
I have no idea what could be done as an entry for the current competition. Any ideas floating around?

My suggestion?

Go listen to a lot of rock music and see what it inspires. Pandora is a free music site that builds listening stations for you based on base songs you add in and what you like and dislike as it plays.

DawnbringerSO
2014-01-19, 04:52 PM
My suggestion?

Go listen to a lot of rock music and see what it inspires. Pandora is a free music site that builds listening stations for you based on base songs you add in and what you like and dislike as it plays.

So, could I do an entry based on what a particular rock song is about?

Tanuki Tales
2014-01-19, 04:53 PM
So, could I do an entry based on what a particular rock song is about?

That's the idea.

caledscratcher
2014-01-19, 09:59 PM
Alright, the basis of my entry are up. It's based mostly on the chassis of Little Red Goblin Games' Invoker, but with the fluff being based on the annoying rivals of the Aquabats: The Sandfleas! Mel, Breath, Spodie, Fang, and Bubba, all in one class!

gr8artist
2014-01-20, 12:37 AM
Would a bard archetype that specialized in rock music be acceptable, or are we shooting for rock songs in particular?

Tanuki Tales
2014-01-20, 11:51 AM
Would a bard archetype that specialized in rock music be acceptable, or are we shooting for rock songs in particular?

It's in the spirit, so sure! Besides, there are plenty of songs about becoming a rock star. :smalltongue:

Zaydos
2014-01-23, 07:08 PM
And I went for a very specific song; that was an interesting experiment.

gr8artist
2014-01-28, 12:54 PM
Just a reminder to vote for the previous competition. Voting is open for the rest of today, and for tomorrow.
Third Law - Voting (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326351)

Adam1949
2014-01-28, 02:08 PM
Alright, made my entry. It's a Bar- class archetype, but not the one that automatically comes to mind; no, instead it's one for the Barbarian, and it's about going against the gods. Knocking down their doors and raging against the Deus ex Machina, you could even say. :smalltongue:

DawnbringerSO
2014-01-28, 04:28 PM
Just a reminder to vote for the previous competition. Voting is open for the rest of today, and for tomorrow.
Third Law - Voting (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326351)

I will vote soon.

Any chance for a review of my entry?

Also I thought we weren't allowed to vote for our own entries anymore?

Tanuki Tales
2014-01-28, 05:23 PM
Also I thought we weren't allowed to vote for our own entries anymore?

The motion was raised, but we never got enough votes for it to carry.

gr8artist
2014-01-28, 09:12 PM
@DawnbringerSO
Yeah, we haven't been very good about giving reviews lately. Partly because a lot of entries have been last-minute deals. Anyway, regarding your entry...1. Your restrictions hurt. A lot. Not being able to multiclass just seems unnatural, though I get it from a balance standpoint.
2. Your armor choices would make more sense if they allowed you to start with a specific suit of armor, like chain shirt or full-plate. Also, no love for medium armor?
3. Some of your armor abilities are far and away better than others. Vision is solidly good, and recording is borderline useless. Sealed suit is overpowered, even if you correct its wording (currently immunity to ALL poisons). Nanotech has two types of healing, one obviously inferior to the other. D/HoT stuff should be 30-50% more powerful than instantaneous effects. Drop the regular healing to 2/level but keep fast healing at 3 and it would be better. Also, DR is almost always better than AC, so why does nanotech give more DR than AC?
4. Ship rooms is a cool idea. A little awkward when a character is forced to maintain a location in order to receive his benefits. Hard to be a murderhobo when you have to stay within X distance of a giant hulk of useless metal.
5. Weapon is OP as all get-out. Weaponry makes it worse, as there's a lot of OP stuff in there with no limit on use. Also, no explanation as to the mechanics of Weaponry. Do you have one at a time? All active at once? How do you get them? What are they? You need some explanation for the ability, not just a list.
6. Too much customization. Ship abilities, armor abilities, and weapon abilities are all fine, but you want at best 1/level, rather than the 2/level that you have.
7. Ability interaction/dependency. Start at the top and work your way through everything you have listed. Many of your abilities reference or are dependent on other stuff, such as the Teleport room working with Sat control. Clearly evaluate and define these "trees," and consider all the wording and syntax for your abilities. Try and look at it through the eyes of someone else, try and find anything they might have a problem understanding. YOU know what you think should happen, but is that CLEARLY defined in the abilities?
All-in-all: It's an interesting entry, and themed well for the competition. With a lot of proof-reading and re-evaluation, it could turn into an excellent concept. As it is, I want to like it more, but it has a lot of subtle flaws that make it less usable in an actual game.Sorry it's too late to make changes, but it might come in handy if you post it again for further review elsewhere.

On a side note, preliminary draft for the Rockstar is up and running. He needs replacement performances for everything the bard normally gets, but other than that he's done.

Also, I hereby request that all entries referencing one or more specific songs should include youtube links to said songs. Because we can.
Also, I hereby move that we not be allowed to vote for our own entries when it comes time to vote for We Built This City. (voting for Third Law to remain unchanged)
Also, I hereby point out that the iSheep would eat a party of level 1's for dinner, and make it look easy.

Zaydos
2014-01-28, 09:53 PM
Mine does have a link to the song it's referencing (and to just the lyrics) because well it helps people find what it's referencing. :smallbiggrin: This would also be known as me agreeing it's something people should do.

Also I'd second the no voting for yourself thing.

gr8artist
2014-01-28, 10:04 PM
Meant to ask sooner, but I forgot. Tanta, do you need help with anything? I know you mentioned taking a break and leaving the contest up to three of us for a while, but we kinda' freaked out and you came right back. I'm downloading gimp, and I will see if I can remember how to work it. If so, I'll send you some award image templates here in... a week or two?
Anything else you'd like a hand with?

Also, I'm just gonna' leave this song here: Nerds are King (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xUWj3ZnWsM). Sadly, it's hip-hop.

Zaydos
2014-01-28, 10:28 PM
Oh well if you want one in the chat instead of the entry itself: Veteran of the Psychic Wars by Blue Oyster Cult (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIE0wTFg364) because I like Blue Oyster Cult because classic rock and hey I could make a class from it.

Tanuki Tales
2014-01-29, 12:07 AM
Meant to ask sooner, but I forgot. Tanta, do you need help with anything? I know you mentioned taking a break and leaving the contest up to three of us for a while, but we kinda' freaked out and you came right back. I'm downloading gimp, and I will see if I can remember how to work it. If so, I'll send you some award image templates here in... a week or two?
Anything else you'd like a hand with?

I'd love to have some templates to look over. Spring Semester also just started, so my work load will be steadily increasing into May.

Anyways, we have two motions for disallowing voting for your own entry. We need five to pass.

Adam1949
2014-01-29, 01:11 AM
I'll vote for not voting for your own entries, so that makes three.

In regards to my inspiration, there are actually two: The first is simply referencing the band Rage Against the Machine. The second, however, is much more easily linked; Knocking on Heaven's Door (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tmc8rJgxUI) by Gun's N' Roses.

DawnbringerSO
2014-01-29, 11:35 AM
@DawnbringerSO
Yeah, we haven't been very good about giving reviews lately. Partly because a lot of entries have been last-minute deals. Anyway, regarding your entry...1. Your restrictions hurt. A lot. Not being able to multiclass just seems unnatural, though I get it from a balance standpoint.
2. Your armor choices would make more sense if they allowed you to start with a specific suit of armor, like chain shirt or full-plate. Also, no love for medium armor?
3. Some of your armor abilities are far and away better than others. Vision is solidly good, and recording is borderline useless. Sealed suit is overpowered, even if you correct its wording (currently immunity to ALL poisons). Nanotech has two types of healing, one obviously inferior to the other. D/HoT stuff should be 30-50% more powerful than instantaneous effects. Drop the regular healing to 2/level but keep fast healing at 3 and it would be better. Also, DR is almost always better than AC, so why does nanotech give more DR than AC?
4. Ship rooms is a cool idea. A little awkward when a character is forced to maintain a location in order to receive his benefits. Hard to be a murderhobo when you have to stay within X distance of a giant hulk of useless metal.
5. Weapon is OP as all get-out. Weaponry makes it worse, as there's a lot of OP stuff in there with no limit on use. Also, no explanation as to the mechanics of Weaponry. Do you have one at a time? All active at once? How do you get them? What are they? You need some explanation for the ability, not just a list.
6. Too much customization. Ship abilities, armor abilities, and weapon abilities are all fine, but you want at best 1/level, rather than the 2/level that you have.
7. Ability interaction/dependency. Start at the top and work your way through everything you have listed. Many of your abilities reference or are dependent on other stuff, such as the Teleport room working with Sat control. Clearly evaluate and define these "trees," and consider all the wording and syntax for your abilities. Try and look at it through the eyes of someone else, try and find anything they might have a problem understanding. YOU know what you think should happen, but is that CLEARLY defined in the abilities?
All-in-all: It's an interesting entry, and themed well for the competition. With a lot of proof-reading and re-evaluation, it could turn into an excellent concept. As it is, I want to like it more, but it has a lot of subtle flaws that make it less usable in an actual game.Sorry it's too late to make changes, but it might come in handy if you post it again for further review elsewhere.

Thank you for the review.

You are of course, right. Had I had more time (due to circumstances at home) I would have been able to do a lot better with the entry and tried to make everything mesh together nicely. As it is, I did what I could and it looks like a rushed entry.

As for being tied down to get his benefits, remember at later levels he can teleport back and forth between his destination and his ship. And his party can benefit too.

I also vote that you shouldn't be able to vote for your own entry.

gr8artist
2014-01-29, 05:53 PM
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r40/gr8artist/FirstPlace_zps31647ed6.png (http://s140.photobucket.com/user/gr8artist/media/FirstPlace_zps31647ed6.png.html)
Transparency works in .png format, which is good to know. I left the stone part empty for competition names or victor's names, whichever you prefer. There should be space above it for writing in a competition name or competitor.

SassyQuatch
2014-01-29, 10:29 PM
Anyways, we have two motions for disallowing voting for your own entry. We need five to pass.
We're doing this again?

Of course I believe that voting for one's creation should be disallowed. Doing so is just poor sport.

malonkey1
2014-01-29, 10:50 PM
We're doing this again?

Of course I believe that voting for one's creation should be disallowed. Doing so is just poor sport.

Agreed. Self-voting should be a no-no.

Adam1949
2014-01-29, 10:56 PM
With Malonkey, Sass, and Dawn's votes, that's 6 out of 5 needed. Sounds like a passed motion to me!

Anyway, is it alright to ask what people think of my entry right now? I feel like it's missing something.

Zaydos
2014-01-30, 12:00 AM
I'm not too familiar with archetypes (I've played two PF characters, built 3) but I don't see anything that's missing.

DawnbringerSO
2014-01-30, 11:53 AM
Ok, I've submitted my entry, and I've put a link to the song in the entry.

Tanuki Tales
2014-01-30, 08:53 PM
That's definitely enough people finally for this tabled motion to carry!

*bangs gavel*

Motion carried.

Any other business to be addressed while the floor is open?

gr8artist
2014-01-30, 10:14 PM
Furious Godhunter

1. I would re-word your first ability. The furious godhunter gains DR 3/-- at level 7. This DR increases by +3 every three levels after 7 (or +1 per level after 7). This DR applies ONLY when taking damage from a divine spell or from a non-native outsider. This DR explicitly supersedes divine spells which ignore or bypass normal DR, such as flame strike. This replaces the barbarian's DR.
The ability is good, but the first and last lines confuse me as to whether it is supposed to modify, replace, or supersede normal DR.
2. Knockin' on Heaven's Door seems strange to benefit attacks against druids and rangers. I know they're divine casters, but they don't feel divine.
All in all, it feels like a fun, concise entry. I would suggest writing up a few new rage powers, because you have time and the extra material never hurts.

Awakened

First off: You're really overpowered. Tone it down a little. 3 levels in and you've picked up a +2 bonus vs enchantment and poison, raging claw attacks, immunity to disease, free first level SLA up to 8 or more per day, and energy resistance 2 vs three elements, and en res 5 vs another.
1. Specify that he is immune to [Charm] and [Compulsion] effects during the rage. Use game mechanics when possible.
2. Consider this ~ when not raging, he gets a really good buff to saves vs enchantment effects (barb major weakness), and when raging he loses this benefit but instead gets immunity vs charm and compulsion. There's not a lot of opportunities for the barbarian weakness to show up. That makes him a lot stronger than normal, and drastically overshadows the minor penalties. Consider instead, lowering the benefit of MW, but doubling it during a rage.
2. Something about that Scream SLA worries me, especially when you can target multiple people with it. Maybe I'm just paranoid about rage-cycling abuse.
3. Minimum damage on your claws is weird... the 1d8 if you already have them... a small clawed character jumps up 2 die steps.
4. Can he rage while confused? Can he rage while fatigued?
5. Not sure how to factor a disease into power level. It's practically negligible in a fight, but a fun bit of flavor.
6. Slowly Changing is really good. Waayyy better than trap sense. Cosmetic changes should include a penalty on NPC starting attitudes.
7. At 7th level, your Awakened gets the benefits of Haste while raging (effectively giving him his fast movement back, plus an extra attack and offsetting his AC penalty). More often than not, he's going to fail the self-control check. And the penalty is... he kills enemies first, and then his allies? Not a very stiff penalty. Consider lowering the DC, but increasing the downside. 5 + 1/2 HD, but he treats all creatures as enemies and attacks the nearest creatures first. Buffing him while he's evil (+2 profane bonus) is fine, but only a penalty if he's attacking his allies, otherwise he's going to auto-fail his will-saves for the extra damage.
8. Telepathy? Really? Seems kinda random. Some fluff might be nice.
9. I'm not a big fan of replacing part of a feature, but letting them pick it up later. If you're replacing the first two levels of DR, consider replacing the last few as well. Perhaps allow his other abilities to improve at those levels.
All in all, it's fun, but it needs some balance work. I know the mundane/melee classes need a buff, but when making an archetype you should try to stick with their original power level.

I'll try and do the other two entries when I can. They're longer and require more effort.

DawnbringerSO
2014-01-31, 09:14 AM
Furious Godhunter

Awakened

First off: You're really overpowered. Tone it down a little. 3 levels in and you've picked up a +2 bonus vs enchantment and poison, raging claw attacks, immunity to disease, free first level SLA up to 8 or more per day, and energy resistance 2 vs three elements, and en res 5 vs another.
1. Specify that he is immune to [Charm] and [Compulsion] effects during the rage. Use game mechanics when possible.
2. Consider this ~ when not raging, he gets a really good buff to saves vs enchantment effects (barb major weakness), and when raging he loses this benefit but instead gets immunity vs charm and compulsion. There's not a lot of opportunities for the barbarian weakness to show up. That makes him a lot stronger than normal, and drastically overshadows the minor penalties. Consider instead, lowering the benefit of MW, but doubling it during a rage.
2. Something about that Scream SLA worries me, especially when you can target multiple people with it. Maybe I'm just paranoid about rage-cycling abuse.
3. Minimum damage on your claws is weird... the 1d8 if you already have them... a small clawed character jumps up 2 die steps.
4. Can he rage while confused? Can he rage while fatigued?
5. Not sure how to factor a disease into power level. It's practically negligible in a fight, but a fun bit of flavor.
6. Slowly Changing is really good. Waayyy better than trap sense. Cosmetic changes should include a penalty on NPC starting attitudes.
7. At 7th level, your Awakened gets the benefits of Haste while raging (effectively giving him his fast movement back, plus an extra attack and offsetting his AC penalty). More often than not, he's going to fail the self-control check. And the penalty is... he kills enemies first, and then his allies? Not a very stiff penalty. Consider lowering the DC, but increasing the downside. 5 + 1/2 HD, but he treats all creatures as enemies and attacks the nearest creatures first. Buffing him while he's evil (+2 profane bonus) is fine, but only a penalty if he's attacking his allies, otherwise he's going to auto-fail his will-saves for the extra damage.
8. Telepathy? Really? Seems kinda random. Some fluff might be nice.
9. I'm not a big fan of replacing part of a feature, but letting them pick it up later. If you're replacing the first two levels of DR, consider replacing the last few as well. Perhaps allow his other abilities to improve at those levels.
All in all, it's fun, but it needs some balance work. I know the mundane/melee classes need a buff, but when making an archetype you should try to stick with their original power level.

I'll try and do the other two entries when I can. They're longer and require more effort.

Thanks for your review. I see where I've gone wrong.

The whole idea of the concept was waking up the demon inside the person. And that involved giving him abilities based upon what demons. Bearing that in mind.

1. I think I shall take your advice under advisement and not make the barbarian immune to charm and compulsion effects.

2. I should have specified, but the barbarian cannot enter a rage while confused. I see that as a big enough detriment to avoid rage cycling. You have to grit your way through several rounds of confusion before you can do a piercing scream again, and during those rounds you could either do absolutely nothing (in which case the damage you miss out on doing outweighs the effect of what you get from ear piercing scream) or you could even actively harm yourself or others in your party, which will make you a drain on party resources at that point. If you want to rage cycle based on a 25% chance per round of being able to hinder the enemy, that's up to you, but it's a big risk you are taking.

3. Yes, I should probably just stick to 1 damage die increase.

4. He can't rage while confused, and can't rage while fatigued. I should have specified.

5. Yeah I didn't think a disease (or immunity to) would pump the power of the class very much. The sleep maybe a bit more, but neither of them come up very often in a game, and you can be an elf for immunity to sleep without class features anyway. I thought it went very well with the song.

And hey, if the big bad gets away, like he so often does, you just left him diseased ;).

6. The reason I put the buffs I did for slowly changing was because demons, as per the pathfinder srd, get immunity to electricity and poison, and resist acid, cold and fire 10. Don't get me wrong, I agree that it's more powerful than trapfinding, but I've seen a lot of archetypes where a particular class feature is replaced by something better. Take the fighters bravery, for example. In every case I can think of, every single archetype replaces bravery for something that is just plain better at no cost.

Given what I've just said, I think it makes sense for NPC attitudes to be worse for the cosmetic changes and it would help offset the boost. Say at 9th level when he starts smelling of burnt flesh, NPC starting attitudes towards him would be unfriendly instead of indifferent.

7. Good idea, I think I'll do just that.

8. Telepathy, yes. Because demons as per the SRD have telepathy 100 ft.

9. I'll see what I can think of, but I was doing that based on archetypes I've seen before which start up class features at a later date.

Thanks, that was a lot of good criticism.

Tanuki Tales
2014-01-31, 11:33 AM
@Caled: So, can you tell me what singers the Sandflea is based on? I want to know what music to listen to when I review it (when it's finished of course).

Grammar, Spelling and Etc.
I would suggest looking over your entire entry again, as there are several places that could use a comma to break up the flow of a sentence.

Notes
This class is meant to be used by a Psychic Warrior, correct? I think you'd be in line of giving it full BaB then. One of the flaws of the Psychic Warrior is that it doesn't get a full BaB progression, so I don't see why you should continue this.
I wish you could give it full Manifesting, but I can already think of several builds that would end up with 8th or 9th level powers. As is, those builds would still end up with 9th level powers. Hm...it might be in order to cut the Manifesting progression down from 8 to 5. That way a Psion/Fighter gish wouldn't get higher than 7th level powers. This does have the side effect of ultimately costing the pure Psychic Warrior 6th level powers, but they get enough out of this PrC to compensate.
A lot of the class features are quite powerful, but since they're also mostly mind-affecting effects, I feel this balances it out. It definitely needs to see play testing and further PEACHing though.
Living on the Edge feels like a crappy capstone to me. This is Victory? is the more powerful ability and it also thematically fits better if it was the last ability gained; the culmination and "victory" of seeing the prestige class to its end.
Thank you for the song. I don't listen to much Blue Oyster Cult, but this one got added as a seed to my Pandora station. :smallbiggrin:

I'll do some more reviews once I've taken care of my course work later today.

Edit:

Nothing specific to note here.

Notes
The first link for Captivate doesn't work.
Doesn't Start a Riot self-end itself? Creatures can't be affected if they're suffering from a Fear effect, but the ability causes a Fear effect if a creature can't take a standard action. Also, Incorporeal isn't a condition, it's a subtype.
How exactly does Lip Synch work? It mentions that the Rockstar only needs to put in "half the effort" but doesn't explain what that means.
The fast healing given by These go to Eleven for Erza's Theme is really weak for an 11th level ability. I'd suggest increasing it to 5 at the very least.
Lip Salts are a really nice addition, but shouldn't the DCs go up with the quality, not down? I mean, the potency should go down as its cut with something. Unless it's one of those substances that get worst because its cut and diluted.
All and all, a very nice archetype with great flavor and touches. The music may not be of my normal tastes, but I enjoyed it all nonetheless. You've definitely reminded me I'm behind on Fairy Tail, if nothing else. :smalltongue:

Adam1949
2014-01-31, 05:55 PM
Made a special Rage Power to go with the archetype (more to come soon): Angel & Devil Set Aside, the manifestation of a barbarian who refuses to stop for any divine being. Inspired by a line from Bohemian Rhapsody. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ9rUzIMcZQ)

Tanuki Tales
2014-01-31, 07:24 PM
Nothing specific to note here.

Knocking on Heaven's Door should be listed before Rage against the God-Machine since its effects are gained at an earlier level.
Angel & Devil Set Aside is an oddly specific niche power. Can you explain when you envisioned it would be used?
Overall, I feel like you could have done more with this archetype. It's interesting and definitely useful in a game where you're expected to fight mostly divine spellcasters and outsiders, but kind of tame.

Under Rage you use the pronoun "she" instead of "he" in the first sentence, after the comma.

Notes
Lucid End doesn't replace Tireless Rage, so technically an Awakened would auto-cleanse any fatigue condition they were under when ending a rage.
All in all, this is a pretty solid archetype. Not really much to say other than that; good job.

Zaydos
2014-02-02, 02:12 AM
I made This is Victory? the capstone because... with a name like that and it does feel like the culmination, although a part of me feels bad making an effect that triggers on your death the capstone (which is why I moved it from the capstone position it was in during my original draft).

I'll be thinking about the rest. Might make the morale bonuses Insight if I do increase BAB (because Insight makes more sense and stacking with the Offensive Prescience/Precognition powers would be less important).

Will probably end up dropping at least one or two more levels of manifesting (maybe 3 more if I up the BAB).

caledscratcher
2014-02-02, 04:34 AM
The Sandlea is based on The Sandfleas, short-lived rival band to the Aquabats. They only ever released four songs, on an album called "four songs, four jerks", a misnomer given that they have five members. Most of the songs can be found at this link (http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/four-songs-four-jerks), but the last one can be found by searching "Frog Jerky".

Ah, the wonders of hilariously obscure bands.

Tanuki Tales
2014-02-02, 11:23 AM
The Sandlea is based on The Sandfleas, short-lived rival band to the Aquabats. They only ever released four songs, on an album called "four songs, four jerks", a misnomer given that they have five members. Most of the songs can be found at this link (http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/four-songs-four-jerks), but the last one can be found by searching "Frog Jerky".

Ah, the wonders of hilariously obscure bands.

Wait...

Those guys are actually a band?!

gr8artist
2014-02-02, 11:43 PM
yeah, I'm reworking some of the abilities and performances of the Rockstar. During the transition, a few abilities are going to be in conflict with each other, and some links won't work. Gimme a week and I'll see what I can do.
Also, my comp doesn't have sound, so if any of the links I provide go to bad versions of their respective songs, let me know and I'll replace them.
Originally, my performances were named after songs and tracks. But, I felt I could get a better song/effect matchup by making performances based on how the song made me feel, rather than its title.

Zaydos
2014-02-03, 09:03 PM
Would it be acceptable to make multiple PrCs base upon different songs in the same album?

No promises regardless of the answer, but I think I might be able to get another 2 or 3 PrCs out of the album (Fire of Unknown Origin). Songs in question would probably be the eponymous Fire of Unknown Origin, the song Sole Survivor, and Vengeance (the Pact) maybe others (I'd have to listen to them again; those are my favorites from the album).

gr8artist
2014-02-03, 10:08 PM
Can prestige classes have archetypes? That might accomplish the same purpose, and still count as one entry. Other options include letting the PrC specialize with different abilities and such.

Rockstar is refreshed and slightly revised. Should be good to go, I just need more substitute performances.
Lip Synch allows him to save his (reduced) bardic performance rounds, but to do so he has to maintain successful bluff checks or his performance has no effects. So 5 rounds of LS'd performance would require 1 round of BP and 5 successful bluff checks. I'm debating adding a cumulative penalty for each round of lip-synched performance.

Tanuki Tales
2014-02-03, 10:16 PM
Huh, that's an interesting idea. I wonder why Paizo hasn't tried doing Archetypes for PrCs.

Milo v3
2014-02-03, 10:22 PM
Huh, that's an interesting idea. I wonder why Paizo hasn't tried doing Archetypes for PrCs.

Probably because Paizo wanted to make PrC's less attractive compared to base classes.

Zaydos
2014-02-03, 10:27 PM
Can prestige classes have archetypes? That might accomplish the same purpose, and still count as one entry. Other options include letting the PrC specialize with different abilities and such.

I like that idea, since the main one I was thinking about (Sole Survivor) felt like a stretch to make more than 2 or 3 abilities and thematically like it could be an archetype for Veteran. Fire I looked over the lyrics and realized I probably can't make a class about it as it's name is the best part of it for these purposes. Vengeance I might could make a class from but I think I prefer the archetype idea.

Adam1949
2014-02-04, 09:07 PM
Knocking on Heaven's Door should be listed before Rage against the God-Machine since its effects are gained at an earlier level.
Angel & Devil Set Aside is an oddly specific niche power. Can you explain when you envisioned it would be used?
Overall, I feel like you could have done more with this archetype. It's interesting and definitely useful in a game where you're expected to fight mostly divine spellcasters and outsiders, but kind of tame.

I've modified Angel & Devil Set Aside, but the original purpose of the power was for the barbarian to go up against demons and possibly gods that could impose a sort of 'spectral webbing' against them. I've since changed it to be more generally useful.

In addition, I've added Another One Bites the Dust (the inspiration should be fairly obvious), which is meant to give a final defeat to both extraplanar foes, and Conjuration-centric Wizards/Clerics/Druids who think that Gate-ing in Solars won't have moral repercussions.

gr8artist
2014-02-04, 09:48 PM
moral or mortal?

And the DC on the high quality lip salts is lower because it requires an extra save. Also, that a higher quality drug might be easier to handle/less taxing on the system while still providing the benefits.
Replaced Suggestion with Rabble Rousing, which cannibalized the Start ah Riot performance, as well as adding in a few more potent CC options.
Because I removed two of the performances, TGt11 has been updated. Erza's Theme effect unchanged (immediate movement and attack), Captivate now lowers will saves, and Shake it Off now grants ferocity. Rabble Rousing effects linger for a few rounds after the performance.

gr8artist
2014-02-12, 03:57 AM
Final working draft on the Rockstar is up and running. All performances are in and accounted for, all lame features swapped out for something more rockstar-themed.
Might add more items and feats to flesh it out, and I need to pick a song for Inspire Glory.

Also, I'm starting a campaign soon, and I'm working on world-building now. There's a link in my sig, if anyone wants to chime in. I don't have all the information hammered out yet, so there are a lot of blanks where ideas are welcome.

Tanuki Tales
2014-02-14, 11:24 AM
So, other than the Rockstar, who's ready for another read over?

Edit: Also, if you haven't voted yet for the last contest, please go do so!

Tanuki Tales
2014-02-21, 02:35 AM
Ugh, did you guys see the new announcement concerning formatting changes?

Adam1949
2014-02-21, 03:25 AM

Not excited for that, I can tell you that much. :smallannoyed:

Zaydos
2014-02-21, 03:38 AM

It's gonna be "fun". Might get me to revamp a few old base classes I'm less than happy with, though.

Milo v3
2014-02-21, 04:15 AM
Not excited for that, I can tell you that much. :smallannoyed:

^

Even if I ignored having to update my old homebrew... It Ruins so many locked threads.

Tanuki Tales
2014-02-21, 11:57 AM
I honestly have no clue how to even use it.

3WhiteFox3
2014-02-21, 12:27 PM
I honestly have no clue how to even use it.

According to some of the posts in the announcement thread, the new system may have daunting code, but it comes with tools that make it very simple to use.

Unfortunately, even Rawhide agreed that while he would prefer to keep with the old system, that's impossible thanks to the software update that they need to do for the forum. It sucks, but I am confident that the pros outweighed the cons of this decision. (Even though we don't know the pros yet.)

Tanuki Tales
2014-02-23, 03:05 PM
So, in the mean time, anyone have an entry for me to look at? And if you haven't entered yet, please do so. This contest's theme is incredibly broad with literal decades of inspiration to draw upon and there's still so much time left.

Tanuki Tales
2014-03-01, 08:06 PM
In Honor of the Giant|Entries based on OotS
March Madness|Lovecraft Mythos[/table]

Time to start coming up with themes for the next contest everyone! Once again, we have the top four finalists who didn't make it last time and one theme of my own.

malonkey1
2014-03-01, 08:16 PM
March Madness|Lovecraft Mythos[/table]

Time to start coming up with themes for the next contest everyone! Once again, we have the top four finalists who didn't make it last time and one theme of my own.

The Comforts of Home: Reproducing modern conveniences in D&D.

gr8artist
2014-03-01, 09:54 PM
I would like to point out that "In Honor of the Giant" was originally supposed to be about ALL webcomics. It got changed to OotS somewhere along the line, and I'm not sure if it was an intentional change or a translation/relay error.

Legendary League: entries based on the popular, free-to-play MOBA, League of Legends.
A Pyrrhic Procedure: victory and success at a great cost.

Subtypes and Subtleties: entries must include multiple variants of a single (new or existing) subject. Examples include archetypes for a class or prestige class, or something like my old Suffering Specters, otherwise identical creatures with different ability sets.

Adam1949
2014-03-02, 03:10 AM
One vote for Go Big or Go Gnome.

And then, a new one: Dracula's Revenge 2: Electric Boogaloo. Vampires and everything else vampiric, including their hunters!

Stake A Vamp
2014-03-02, 04:14 PM
i have only one idea

To Brew, or Not To Brew? shakespeare.

Tanuki Tales
2014-03-06, 11:51 AM
March Madness|Lovecraft Mythos
The Comforts of Home|Reproducing modern conveniences in a medieval setting
A Pyrrhic Procedure|Victory and success at great cost
Subtypes and Subtleties|Entries are based upon multiple variants of an existing or new subject matter.
Dracula's Revenge 2: Electric Boogaloo|Vampirism and those who oppose it, in all its forms.
To Brew, or Not To Brew?|Shakespeare
[/table]

I would like to point out that "In Honor of the Giant" was originally supposed to be about ALL webcomics. It got changed to OotS somewhere along the line, and I'm not sure if it was an intentional change or a translation/relay error.

I honestly can't remember, at this point. How many of you would prefer one over the other?

malonkey1
2014-03-06, 12:12 PM
I'd prefer just OotS-based actually.

DawnbringerSO
2014-03-06, 12:50 PM
I thought the official closing date for the current competition was the 4th march?

Tanuki Tales
2014-03-06, 12:59 PM
I thought the official closing date for the current competition was the 4th march?

March 14th.

Whoops, got confused with the voting date. Let's go fix that.

Edit: There, bumped everything back 10 days. It's been a busy month for me, so I'll extend things another week so we can make sure we get the theme selected.

As such, feel free to suggest ones past the normal limit so we can get to 16.

gr8artist
2014-03-06, 09:00 PM
Personally, I'd like to see it themed around "all webcomics" since I feel we might start stepping on each-other's toes if we're all doing the OotS webcomic. And it's always nice to have options. Personally, I might pick something from Oglaf or do Pintsize from Questionable Content.

If we're still looking for suggestions to fill out the 16, then I'll present the Legendary League, based on the game League of Legends. I don't expect a lot of support for it, but the game's free to play if you haven't heard of it.
A Time and Place for Everything - Entries dealing with space/time alteration.

Tanuki Tales
2014-03-06, 09:21 PM
You can just suggest an all webcomics one too.

caledscratcher
2014-03-06, 10:29 PM
Woops, so sorry 'bout not getting an entry in for we built this city. Hospitals And migraines and girlfriends, oh my. I'm still really busy, so the Sand flea will most likely not be completed any time soon.

Anyways, I'd like to suggest "My Lucky Day", focused around, well, luck. Also, "Eight Days a Week", focused around calendars and the tracking of time.

Tanuki Tales
2014-03-06, 11:20 PM
Woops, so sorry 'bout not getting an entry in for we built this city. Hospitals And migraines and girlfriends, oh my. I'm still really busy, so the Sand flea will most likely not be completed any time soon.

Anyways, I'd like to suggest "My Lucky Day", focused around, well, luck. Also, "Eight Days a Week", focused around calendars and the tracking of time.

Sorry to hear that Caled. You still have a week, if that'll be enough.

gr8artist
2014-03-08, 12:40 PM
Alright, I'll repeal the Legendary League, and submit instead "Where Giants Tread"... Webcomics in general (including OotS).
Though honestly I'm going to throw most of my support behind "my lucky day," since saint Patrick's day is just around the corner... Luck o' the Irish, 'n all that.

Also, just found out a Tolkien themed bar just opened up down the street. Unrelated but awesome.

Tanuki Tales
2014-03-08, 01:21 PM
We have our 16 themes!

In Honor of the Giant|Entries based on OotS|0
March Madness|Lovecraft Mythos|0
The Comforts of Home|Reproducing modern conveniences in a medieval setting|0
A Pyrrhic Procedure|Victory and success at great cost|0
Subtypes and Subtleties|Entries are based upon multiple variants of an existing or new subject matter.|0
Dracula's Revenge 2: Electric Boogaloo|Vampirism and those who oppose it, in all its forms.|0
To Brew, or Not To Brew?|Shakespeare|0
Legendary League|League of Legends|0
A Time and Place for Everything|Entries dealing with time/space alteration|0
My Lucky Day|Luck|0
Eight Days a Week|Calendars and the tracking of time|0
Where Giants Tread|Webcomics in general|0
[/table]

You guys know how this dance is done and voting will remain open until 11:59 pm EST tomorrow night.

@Gr8: If you can get photos, I'm sure we'd all love to see them! :smallbiggrin:

Adam1949
2014-03-08, 01:51 PM
My Lucky Day
To Brew, or Not to Brew?
Taste My Steel
Missing a Common Sense
Go Big or Go Gnome
March Madness
A Time and Place for Everything
Dracula's Revenge 2

Tanuki Tales
2014-03-08, 02:18 PM
My Lucky Day and To Brew, or Not to Brew? Those are my votes.

You get 8 votes in the first round.

Adam1949
2014-03-08, 02:42 PM
You get 8 votes in the first round.

Whoops! Changed it.

Stake A Vamp
2014-03-08, 07:56 PM
In Honor of the Giant
Taste My Steel
Missing a Common Sense
March Madness
A Pyrrhic Procedure
Go Big or Go Gnome
Dracula's Revenge 2: Electric Boogaloo

kudos to whoever suggested march madness

Milo v3
2014-03-08, 08:21 PM
In Honor of the Giant
March Madness
A Pyrrhic Procedure
Dracula's Revenge 2: Electric Boogaloo
Where Giants Tread
Taste My Steel
The Comforts of Home

gr8artist
2014-03-13, 11:14 AM
https://m.facebook.com/TheGreenDragonPublicHouse/albums/479088935551270/
Photos from their facebook page. Also, anyone from the middle Tennessee area, perchance?
Third pic, where everything's crowded, me and Moosebite are sitting at the near table on the far right, with our roommate.

Where giants tread
My lucky day
March madness
Subtypes and subtleties
Sorcerous specialties, wizardly ways
A Pyrrhic procedure
Missing a common sense
A time and place for everything

Tanuki Tales
2014-03-13, 11:45 AM
Sorry, I've been busy:

In Honor of the Giant|Entries based on OotS|2
Sorcerous Specialties, Wizardly Ways|Specialized casters|3
Taste My Steel|Swordsmanship, Kendo, Weapons-Based Martial Arts|3
Missing a Common Sense|Entries lack one of the five senses|3
March Madness|Lovecraft Mythos|4
The Comforts of Home|Reproducing modern conveniences in a medieval setting|1
A Pyrrhic Procedure|Victory and success at great cost|3
Subtypes and Subtleties|Entries are based upon multiple variants of an existing or new subject matter.|1
Go Big or Go Gnome|Gnomes|2
Dracula's Revenge 2: Electric Boogaloo|Vampirism and those who oppose it, in all its forms.|3
To Brew, or Not To Brew?|Shakespeare|1
Legendary League|League of Legends|0
A Time and Place for Everything|Entries dealing with time/space alteration|2
My Lucky Day|Luck|2
Eight Days a Week|Calendars and the tracking of time|0
Where Giants Tread|Webcomics in general|2
[/table]

In Honor of the Giant|Entries based on OotS|0
March Madness|Lovecraft Mythos|0
A Pyrrhic Procedure|Victory and success at great cost|0
Dracula's Revenge 2: Electric Boogaloo|Vampirism and those who oppose it, in all its forms.|0
[/table]

Four votes this time folks and I'll try to make sure it closes tomorrow evening this time. :smalltongue:

@Stake: March Madness was my addition, so thanks. :smallsmile:

Adam1949
2014-03-13, 12:14 PM
Taste My Steel
Missing a Common Sense
March Madness
Dracula's Revenge. Also, would it be possible to change the name of that entry? I really REALLY am regretting naming something that stupid :smallfrown: