PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Rogue 1/Fighter 1/Psion x/PrC x

ZethVorador
2013-07-20, 03:24 PM
I am just booting up a new backup character and wsnt some general thoughts on some ideas.

Race-Synad (Staying with this choice)

Classes-
Rogue 1-let's me skill monkey which I love doing and my current char is the skill monkey so thats who this guy is replacing
Fighter 1- Unsure here but wanted to see if all the proficientes would be worth a level
Psion x (Favored Class)-Telepath with telepathy acf and mindsight (LoM)
PrC x-No idea so far

I am more curious about the level in fighter atm

Rubik
2013-07-20, 03:48 PM
Factotum 1/psion X would get you the proficiencies, the skillmonkeyness, and Int synergy, to boot.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-07-20, 03:52 PM
If you want to go with a Psionic Skillmonkey/combatant I would suggest

Trap expert Ranger 1 (ACF from Dungeonscape, trades Track and swift tracker for trap finding and disable device as a class feature)
Telepath 5
Slayer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/slayer.htm)10
Something 4 (Maybe more Psion)

Ranger has 6+int (which should be high as you are a psion) skill points and has a pretty decent skill list, gives you full martial proficiencies, decent HD, two good saves, etc.

Flickerdart
2013-07-20, 03:55 PM
One level of a class will not let you skill monkey any better than you could without that level (barring Factotum + Able Learner, but you don't qualify for the feat). Proficiencies are also useless for a primary manifester - the difference between a club and a longsword is minuscule, especially if you don't make it your primary tool.

If you really want more skills and proficiencies, become a Slayer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/slayer.htm).

Zaq
2013-07-20, 03:57 PM
Every psionic PrC other than Anarchic Initiate loses at least one manifester level. You're therefore going to be sacrificing at least three manifester levels on this character, who looks like they're going to be primarily psionic. This is, well, a really really bad idea. You're a full power level and a half behind where you should be (so half the time, you'll be a power level behind, and half the time, you'll be two power levels behind), and you can't augment your lower-level stuff as well to make up the difference. Add in the loss of PP, and I really don't see any what that what you gain is going to be worth what you lose.

As other folks have said, if you want a psionic skillmonkey, you'll be better off with a Psychic Rogue. Not as much manifesting power (though they really do have some good tricks), but at least you'll have a class that synergizes with your concept.

ZethVorador
2013-07-22, 12:00 AM
Thanks for all the advice everyone! I have of course seen the error of my ways. My DM unfortunatly isn't allowing psychic rogue so I think I'll just take the single level in rogue to open up those skill choices and go full psion after that. There are some interesting PrC's I may post on later but the Thrallherd got shot down almost as soon as it exited the gate (Something about previous player abuse etc). If anyone has some added hints or tips not typically found in the Psion Handbook or other online sources I'd be more than happy to hear them!