PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] Size Modifiers and Escape Artist

theonesin
2013-07-20, 03:24 PM
Very quick question, but does having a smaller size(like Small or Tiny) give any bonuses to the Escape Artist skill? It sounds like it should, but I don't know of any rules.

Namfuak
2013-07-20, 03:44 PM
Very quick question, but does having a smaller size(like Small or Tiny) give any bonuses to the Escape Artist skill? It sounds like it should, but I don't know of any rules.

Smaller characters tend to have more dex (explicitly if they shrink from their original size), which is meant to represent their general dexterity. Escape artist checks also specify the approximate size space relative to the creature's size that it can fit through, so smaller characters have a relatively easier escape artist check to make than a larger creature.

Galvin
2013-07-20, 07:47 PM
It does not give any bonuses, save for those granted by the race itself. Though as mentioned above dexterity bonuses are meant to represent the dexterity quickness of being small.

TuggyNE
2013-07-20, 09:45 PM

It doesn't and shouldn't. All Escape Artist uses are to get out of restraints that are already sized for you, such as someone holding onto you, rope tied snugly, or a space too narrow for you to just walk or even squeeze through. In the case of grappling, though, you negate the usual size penalty on grapple checks for being smaller than Medium size, which is enough on its own.

Well, OK, there is one possible use that isn't necessarily scaled to character size: escaping through a wall of force. But epic skill DCs are notoriously loony as it is, and DC 120 is pretty up there.

Andion Isurand
2013-07-20, 09:50 PM
maybe they should change that DC to 100 + caster level, hehe