PDA

View Full Version : Monks and Starmantle

Samalpetey
2013-07-20, 04:04 PM
What would happen if a monk punched someone with a Starmantle spell affecting them? Would the entire monk be destroyed, or just the part they strike with?

Toliudar
2013-07-20, 05:52 PM
Starmantle dissolves the very outer layer of the monk's skin.

Besides, at any level at which someone can afford a Starmantle Cloak, the monk should have found some way for their attacks to count as magic.

Grayson01
2013-07-20, 05:54 PM
Like kI Strike Magic? lol

Starmantle dissolves the very outer layer of the monk's skin.

Besides, at any level at which someone can afford a Starmantle Cloak, the monk should have found some way for their attacks to count as magic.

Samalpetey
2013-07-20, 06:09 PM
Like kI Strike Magic? lol

With ki strike, unarmed strikes count as magic only for the purpose of bypassing damage reduction. Nothing else. On a slightly related topic, starmantle strikes me as a fairly overpowered spell

Curmudgeon
2013-07-20, 06:15 PM
Would the entire monk be destroyed, or just the part they strike with?
Nothing would be destroyed.
unarmed strike

A successful blow, typically dealing nonlethal damage, from a character attacking without weapons.
The starmantle renders the wearer impervious to nonmagical weapon attacks and transforms any nonmagical weapon or missile that strikes it into harmless light, destroying it forever. Starmantle has no effect if you attack without weapons.

Chronos
2013-07-20, 06:16 PM
By the level that you're casting Starmantle, it's likely that most of your opponents will have magic weapons anyway. I am surprised, though, that they didn't clarify what (if anything) it does to natural weapons.

Samalpetey
2013-07-20, 06:33 PM
By the level that you're casting Starmantle, it's likely that most of your opponents will have magic weapons anyway. I am surprised, though, that they didn't clarify what (if anything) it does to natural weapons.

I'dve thought natural weapons are still weapons and would be broken by RAW if non-magical, though it seems a little cheesy then. Also, even when everyone else has magic weapons it lets you save for half damage against any weapon attack, not to mention antimagic ray on an enemy's weapon.

Nothing would be destroyed. Starmantle has no effect if you attack without weapons.

Ah, I thought a monk unarmed strike was considered a natural and manufactured weapon for all purposes, but on a re-reading of the monk class features, it seems I'm wrong :smallredface:

Starbuck_II
2013-07-20, 10:53 PM
I'dve thought natural weapons are still weapons and would be broken by RAW if non-magical, though it seems a little cheesy then. Also, even when everyone else has magic weapons it lets you save for half damage against any weapon attack, not to mention antimagic ray on an enemy's weapon.

Ah, I thought a monk unarmed strike was considered a natural and manufactured weapon for all purposes, but on a re-reading of the monk class features, it seems I'm wrong :smallredface:

Yep, they considered natural and manufactured weapon if it would be beneficial: losing an arm to Starmantle isn't beneficial...

Careless
2013-07-20, 11:11 PM
Yep, they considered natural and manufactured weapon if it would be beneficial: losing an arm to Starmantle isn't beneficial...

I don't know, it might convince the player to stop being a monk...

Rubik
2013-07-20, 11:14 PM
If the monk used a head-butt, perhaps it would give him a nice round of exfoliation.

Slipperychicken
2013-07-21, 01:39 AM

Natural weapons and unarmed strikes are different. That sounds irredeemably stupid, but those are the rules.

Starmantle destroys weapons. Natural weapons are weapons, so they are destroyed. Unarmed strikes are not weapons, so they are not destroyed.