PDA

View Full Version : Feat: Recharge Wand[Item Creation]

Alynn
2006-12-11, 08:24 AM
Recharge Wand[Item Creation]
Prereq:
Craft Wand(you must know how to make a wand before you can recharge a wand)
Caster Level: 10th
Benefits:
You can recharge a wand of any 4th-level or lower spell that you know. Recharging a wand takes one day for each 1,000 gp in its base price.

The base cost of recharging a wand is caster level × the spell level × 12 gp per charge. To recharge a wand, you must spend 1/25 of the base cost of regarging price in XP (round up), and half the base cost in materials.

To recharge a wand you must know the spell to be recharged, and the wand must be recharged to a full 50 charges. You can not recharge a wand that has used all of it's charges.

Any wand that stores a spell with a costly material component or an XP cost also carries a commensurate cost. In addition to the cost derived from the base price, you must expend X copies of the material component or pay X times the XP cost. Where X is tne number of charges to be recharged.

Example: Tari the Evoker loves fireball, so much that she took craft wand just to have extra fireballs at her disposal, she still has her first wand she ever made, but there is a problem, it's running out of charges. So at 10th level she learns how to recharge her wand.

When her wand has one charge left she takes time off adventuring to recharge it. The base cost to recharge 49 charges is 8820. She pays 4410gp and 353xp to recharge the wand. Had she decided to make a new wand from scratch she would have paid 5625 gp and 450xp, saving herself about 1215 gp, and 97XP.

Just an idea, useful, but not overly useful, saving xp and gp is always high on the priority list..
EDIT: Changed from 75% base cost of recharge to 80% base cost of recharge to ease the math.

So balanced, unbalanced? let me hear thy voices.

Fizban
2006-12-12, 09:18 PM
As classic as the idea is, I'd say recharge Staff is more desirable. Wands suck as anything but disposable spell batteries. Staffs on the other hand expand your spells per day and spells known list effectively.
As for price? too many opinions for me to go into that.

Balesirion
2006-12-12, 10:55 PM
I agree with Fizban, Recharge Staff would be better, though you would have to have it at a higher caster level. Other than that it would be a great idea, I always wanted to recharge those handy Staffs of Fire.

Alynn
2006-12-13, 07:13 AM
Yes, that was next on the list, the same 80% should still work. As far as caster level, I'd say a tentitive 18th CL for the feat, since create staff prereq is 12th. Of course, craft staff as a Prereq as well.

So to calculate the base price per charge
First Ability: CL * SL * 6
Second Ability: CL * SL *4.5
Every other ability: CL * SL * 3

Multiply that by the number of charges added to the staff. So a Staff of fires (5th level fireball, 3rd level Scorching Ray, 1st level burning hands) would cost
120 base gp per charge, or 60gp and 5xp per charge to the staff, created the staff from scratch would be 75gp and 6xp per charge, making it a grand total savings of 15gp and 1 xp per charge.

That could work as well I think.