PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5 Setting] Descent into Madness [WiP] [Needs moved to appropriate forum]

Xuldarinar
2013-07-20, 11:55 PM
DESCENT INTO MADNESS
"Long ago, the forces of good and evil stood apart. The worlds locked in conflict as each fought for supremacy. Energy, elementals, even the concepts of order and chaos took sides. All too late, did we realize who our true enemies were. In an event we know only as the descent, the walls that kept the planes separate from the madness beyond fell. Celestial and fiend alike were consumed, even the gods themselves were not safe. Everything that was not killed was driven to madness. We are all that remains.."

[More to come. Input is vastly appreciated. Content will be added as it comes, and adjustment will be made (name included if a better one shows)]

SolarEdge
2013-07-21, 12:10 AM
details please

Xuldarinar
2013-07-21, 12:24 AM
My aim is to create a setting. Basically in this setting, it started out similar to how the standard D&D setting is, but the far-realm actually gets around to consuming most of reality. The material planes (material, shadow, and ethereal) haven't been affected too badly, but anything and everything beyond them is either gone or twisted almost beyond recognition.

Changes in the world would be based upon a couple of things. Magics drawing from beyond the material planes would be considerably more dangerous, to others as well as the user. Without contact with deities, at least without sane ones, the dynamics revolving around faith would be altered. Simular to eberron, aberrations are a major threat, except in this case they are practically at your doorstep and have taken the rest of the neighborhood and everything beyond it. Part of the theme winds up being a balancing factor, as the threats can be greater, and some of the more powerful classes (most magic users) become their own worst enemies.

One of my goals, though a lesser one, is make this not only a setting one could set up a campaign in, but make this a setting one could transfer into as characters reach higher levels.

SolarEdge
2013-07-21, 02:06 AM
hmm so you'll want to develop the system first then the material plane

for the insanity thing I suggest the corruption system from the middle earth roleplaying games with instead of becoming evil you go insane.

I also think there should be a fear around mages this could be a class ferure (to make up for looming insanity)

Xuldarinar
2013-07-21, 04:23 AM
hmm so you'll want to develop the system first then the material plane

for the insanity thing I suggest the corruption system from the middle earth roleplaying games with instead of becoming evil you go insane.

I also think there should be a fear around mages this could be a class ferure (to make up for looming insanity)

Appropriate systems already exist, this being D&D after all.

Personally I was thinking adapting the taint system (UA version or HoH version), but the corruption system from the middle earth roleplaying games could work. I'll look into it.

As for the class feature around mages, thats a lot of classes to deal with. It also brings up another question: what do we define as mage? All spell casters or only arcane?

Just from the player's handbook. Bards would have to stay away from a few spells but not too bad. Clerics would steer clear of a massive number of spells, and also potentially their turn/rebuke (if the positive and negative energy planes are consumed, channeling their energy likely isn't the best idea). Druids, we can assume most of their spells are fine. The same goes for rangers. Paladins suffer similarly to clerics. Sorcerers and wizards are restricted in their spells, if they wish to avoid repercussions, but could still function.

Under this setting, we have to look at the spells and determine which are dangerous. By this I mean, which tap into other planes beyond the material. Conjuration spells and necromancy spells are the most dangerous, as their nature is to draw from other planes. Evocation spells, however, typically draw from what is present, meaning they may be safe.

Keep in mind, most campaign settings aren't (significantly) systematically different from standard D&D. That shouldn't be that much different. Unique creatures, some special rules here and there, detail on the setting itself, so on.

SolarEdge
2013-07-21, 11:04 AM
great now how has this effected the land and politics of the world? is it mostly savage with only civil leanings, or has whats left of creation been bolstered by the gods defeat, mortals standing strong maintaining their history and hopefulysanity

AmberVael
2013-07-21, 12:41 PM
Shouldn't this be in the world building section, along with all the other settings? :smallconfused:

Xuldarinar
2013-07-21, 01:57 PM
Shouldn't this be in the world building section, along with all the other settings? :smallconfused:

Right you are. I had forgotten about that section, this needs moved there.