PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Rate my build: Barbarian.

Yael
2013-07-21, 04:56 AM
I'm aiming for a new style of play: the Barbarian. I know there are lots of good prestige classes for a Barbarian, better than a Warhulk, but I want to test it.

It's the first time I play a Barbarian (never played one, maybe I've played a Fighter before, but never a Barbarian).

I'm going Water Orc and starting with the Half-Minotaur template from Dragon 313.
For the Class features, I'm swapping Fast Movement for Lion Totem (Pounce).
For Feats, I'm taking Reckless Rage, Extra Rage and Improved Toughness at level 1st. At level 3rd I'm taking Brutal Throw.

We are starting the game at level 5th, so my character will be 4th by this time (Brb4+LA1).
For ability scores, we are using a homebrew system: an ''Elite Array'' which consists on a 18, a 16, a 14, a 12, a 10 and a 8.
I'm going Str 18 (for a total of 34), Dex 14 (for a total of 12), Con 16 (for a total of 25), Int 12 (for a total of 6), Wis 10 (for a total of 6), and Cha 8 (for a total of 6). I'm applying size change, racial bonus, template changes and pathetic twice (for int and wis).

I'm wielding a Greataxe.

For the next levels, I'm taking fighter 2, orc paragon 3 and warhulk 10.
I haven't decided for the feats.

eggynack
2013-07-21, 05:19 AM
Whatcha looking for here? Your build is alright, but I tend to prefer my traditional barbarian build. In particular, you might want to trade rage for whirling frenzy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy ), because whirling frenzy is crazy good, and you might want to trade uncanny dodge (and other stuff if you take more than two levels. More on that in a bit) through wolf totem (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wolfTotemClassFeatures ), because tripping is as good as it gets. It looks like you're planning to start with four barbarian levels, and that's probably not the best idea. You just don't get much after hitting wolf totem. Taking two levels of fighter after two levels of barbarian is a good idea though, and that makes up the beginnings of my traditional barbarian build. The core of it is barbarian 2/fighter 2/x 3/runescarred berserker 10. Runescarred berserker is from Unapproachable East, and is about as good as it gets for barbarians. It also has some feat prerequisites, so that's as good a place as any to stick feats.

For other feat needs, I'd advise sticking to the two classics of barebones melee. Those are tripping, and charging. The former is largely accomplished through improved trip (from wolf totem. You don't need intelligence for that at all.) knock down, and maybe some AoO effects as needed. Charging is basically just power attack and improved bull rush into shock trooper. You already have the pounce, so you're halfway there. You also might want to switch your weapon out for a guisarme if you go the path of the trip, because guisarmes are sweet. Spiked chains are better, if you can afford the feat cost. You're large, so you should make use of that for combat maneuvers. I don't know why brutal throw is on your feat list, I don't think that reckless rage works with frenzies, and improved toughness is filler, so that's plenty of room to breathe.