PDA

View Full Version : Avengers 2 is Age of Ultron

Athaniar
2013-07-21, 07:41 AM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/21/comic-con-avengers-2-title-is-avengers-age-of-ultron

Fresh news from San Diego, Ultron fans rejoice! I'm one of them for sure, but I haven't read the Age of Ultron comic yet. I am definitely going to now, though, I wonder how much of it is going to make it into the film... Anyway, discuss!

Fredaintdead
2013-07-21, 08:13 AM
Well, that's surprising giving the Thanos reveal at the end of the first film, but given the quality of The Avengers I'm definitely excited. :smallsmile:

Athaniar
2013-07-21, 09:19 AM
I believe they've said that (Mr. Avengers-Stinger-Man) will have a background role as the Bigger Bad until Avengers 3.

And now that I've actually read Age of Ultron (semi-spoilers for said event below),
I believe that if they faithfully adapt it and make it good it'll be the best Terminator movie in many years. :P

I hope they don't make a complete adaption, though. Ultron was already a well-established foe in the comics, and in the MCU this film will be his debut, so unless they're just going to throw the audience into a completely unfamiliar plot in medias res they'll need some buildup (especially considering the Ant-Man film comes out after Avengers 2).

And on a side note, will the upcoming also-dystopian-future-with-killer-robots X-Men film make this one more or less likely to be a faithful adaption?

Teucros
2013-07-21, 09:49 AM
According to this (https://twitter.com/empiremagazine/status/358792722594807808), the movie' storyline will not be an adaptation of the comic's. Which, as far as I'm concerned, is a very good thing :smallwink:.

Athaniar
2013-07-21, 10:03 AM
Yeah, I agree that's for the best. I'd much rather see a "traditional" superheroes-vs-killer-robot Ultron story than the mind-bending stuff from the event for our cinematic introduction to the character.

Man on Fire
2013-07-21, 01:23 PM
I just hope this will reult in starting groundwork for Runaways movie. You know, because

One of Runaways is Ultron's son.

Kitten Champion
2013-07-21, 01:51 PM
Well, it makes a certain sense in-universe considering Iron Man's JARVIS. I could easily see that automated army bit in Iron Man III suddenly being turned around on them and playing on very true-to-life concerns of an increasingly automated battlefield.

I didn't really care about the Age of Ultron in the comics, it was mildly tedious.

Athaniar
2013-07-21, 01:55 PM
One of the reasons Iron Man 3 disappointed me was because there seemed to be a lot of foreshadowing related to AI that didn't lead anywhere. Given this announcement I might have to reconsider my stance on that particular aspect.

EDIT: On a different tangent, I recommend the Next Avengers (animated) movie (unless you just don't like animesque and/or young protagonists), it's a solid story with Ultron as an appropriately terrifying big bad. It's on Netflix for those who have that.

Mordar
2013-07-21, 07:51 PM
Seems to me this announcement really does click a few things into place "in universe" (Tony's mental state, desire to protect, inability to always be everywhere) and out of universe (Vin Diesel and Vision? Thanos' link to Guardians of the Galaxy as the tie-back to mainline Marvel movies?).

I think Ultron in a good fit and was always my first thought for who the Avengers would have to fight (because anybody of a much lower power level would be handled by individual members of the team),

- M

Hopeless
2013-07-22, 04:24 AM
And the fact Ultron effectively eliminates most of the heroes and villains from what I recall and if they were going by the comic will Hugh Jackman be available to resolve the situation?:smallwink:

Hank Pym will not be happy mind you!:smalleek:

Why didn't they not go with the Mandarin as the true villain of Iron Man 3?

Man on Fire
2013-07-22, 05:25 AM
I heard Hank Pym isn't going to be in either Avengers 2 or Ant-Man.

Athaniar
2013-07-22, 08:30 AM
Seems more and more likely that they're going with the same origin as Next Avengers, that Tony makes Ultron. I'm fine with that myself, but I hope Pym at least gets name-dropped.

Most of my other concerns are assuaged by this Whedon interview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylai2RE9EM0), fortunately.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2013-07-22, 10:35 AM
Can we take a moment to acknowledge that "Age of Ultron" is possibly one of the worst B-move subtitles ever? It makes me cringe. Why does Avengers 2 even need a subtitle...

Kitten Champion
2013-07-22, 03:10 PM
Can we take a moment to acknowledge that "Age of Ultron" is possibly one of the worst B-move subtitles ever? It makes me cringe. Why does Avengers 2 even need a subtitle...

They're superhero comics, goofy grandiosity comes with the territory.

Cuaqchi
2013-07-22, 07:29 PM
I heard Hank Pym isn't going to be in either Avengers 2 or Ant-Man.

Yay! I've always hated Pym, and wish that he wasn't so integral to the Ultron storyline. If true they have another option for playing Ant-Man in the movie and they can introduce Wasp to the Avengers without the whole "Hank Pym The Wife Beater" hanging around the base. Especially since most writers seem to give him the moral high ground on so many things... :smallfurious:

Dienekes
2013-07-22, 07:38 PM
Yay! I've always hated Pym, and wish that he wasn't so integral to the Ultron storyline. If true they have another option for playing Ant-Man in the movie and they can introduce Wasp to the Avengers without the whole "Hank Pym The Wife Beater" hanging around the base. Especially since most writers seem to give him the moral high ground on so many things... :smallfurious:

I've always felt kind of bad for what happened to Pym. Dude suffered a complete mental breakdown during which he slapped his wife once (said wife could have beaten the ever loving snot out of him if she so wanted), and suddenly that has become the only thing anyone really knows about the character. Or it's the first thing that gets mentioned. Now I'm not saying wife beating isn't terrible, oh it is. But his treatment is like if every time anyone mentioned Hal Jordan people just shake their head in disgust during his time as Parallax, or if Tony Stark was forever tied to some of the really ****ty stuff he did while drunk, or Peter while he was wearing the black suit.

Of course he is not helped in the matter that I don't think the writers know what to do with him, or have ever. He's been the smart scientist guy in a world where Reed Richards beats him at everything forever, and Tony Stark has far more interesting a personality. He's just sort of that guy who had that mental problem and everything he touches turns to crap, often through no fault of his own.

Spamotron
2013-07-22, 08:06 PM
I like how they did it in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes where the blame for Ultron can be split more or less equally between Pym, Tony, Cap, Wasp and Kang. Pym designed Ultron's Brain and did the programming, Tony designed the chassis and weapon systems, Kang created the emergency that resulted in Ultron being used as a weapon, Wasp was the person who revealed Ultron's existence to the other Avengers and Cap is who gave the order to unleash him.

Kitten Champion
2013-07-22, 08:29 PM
Of course he is not helped in the matter that I don't think the writers know what to do with him, or have ever. He's been the smart scientist guy in a world where Reed Richards beats him at everything forever, and Tony Stark has far more interesting a personality. He's just sort of that guy who had that mental problem and everything he touches turns to crap, often through no fault of his own.

I don't think Pym is a bad character, he's dark to a degree but more human-dark than comic gritty-dark. Just, he drags down the mood so fast. I read through some of the issues of Avenger's Initiative and Avenger's Academy -- and all I could think was "can't they find someone else, anyone else? There are more heroes out there."

Sure, they address his neuroses in the books and the Initiative Pym wasn't really Pym, but I'm still left with a negative attitude about the character. I'm just like "Oh yay, Hank Pym, guilt and depression ho!"

danzibr
2013-07-22, 09:53 PM
Every time I hear the bad dude's name I'm going to think Star Control 2.

shadow_archmagi
2013-07-23, 12:11 AM

There are worse things to think of constantly.

Tebryn
2013-07-23, 03:02 AM
Calling it now...Captain America is going to die.

Eldan
2013-07-23, 03:57 AM

So I'm not the only one, then.

Cuaqchi
2013-07-23, 05:49 AM
I don't think Pym is a bad character, he's dark to a degree but more human-dark than comic gritty-dark. Just, he drags down the mood so fast. I read through some of the issues of Avenger's Initiative and Avenger's Academy -- and all I could think was "can't they find someone else, anyone else? There are more heroes out there."

Sure, they address his neuroses in the books and the Initiative Pym wasn't really Pym, but I'm still left with a negative attitude about the character. I'm just like "Oh yay, Hank Pym, guilt and depression ho!"

Except by the original story everything about Ultron is that he is Pym without the requirements of a fleshy body. An on-again/off-again villain (Wonder Man) was used in a same way and became a solid (even if a potentially boring) hero in Vision; but, the "solid hero" turned into a human loathing engine of mechanical destruction. Really makes you wonder what the hell is going on in his head. If his writers were half of what Hulk/Banner's were I doubt I would have the same problems with him ; since, obviously what makes him a "hero" is a similar desire to control the number of personal issues...

Man on Fire
2013-07-23, 06:53 AM

But Hank in Academy is fine. the entire point of teachers is that they're damaged people, yet still trying to give the kids better lives.

Kitten Champion
2013-07-23, 06:53 AM
Except by the original story everything about Ultron is that he is Pym without the requirements of a fleshy body. An on-again/off-again villain (Wonder Man) was used in a same way and became a solid (even if a potentially boring) hero in Vision; but, the "solid hero" turned into a human loathing engine of mechanical destruction. Really makes you wonder what the hell is going on in his head. If his writers were half of what Hulk/Banner's were I doubt I would have the same problems with him ; since, obviously what makes him a "hero" is a similar desire to control the number of personal issues...

Well, they're getting the director who did Shaun of the Dead and Scott Pilgrim to do the Antman movie. So maybe I'll see a Hank Pym who's at least enjoyable to watch despite being kind of pathetic and maybe a superhero movie which is more genre savvy and strange.

I think they've also overlapped a lot of Hank Pym's characterization onto Tony Stark, at least in Iron Man III.

But Hank in Academy is fine. the entire point of teachers is that they're damaged people, yet still trying to give the kids better lives.

There's nothing wrong with him in terms of writing at least in those comics, he's a good character and given the themes of the series an apt choice, I just don't like him. Perhaps because he's been perpetually vexing for decades now, or that's the impression I get.

Edit: Come to think of it, the number of heroes in the Marvel universe who wouldn't qualify as "damaged" at that point would be a small list.

Eldan
2013-07-23, 12:48 PM
So. As a non-comicbook reader, could someone tell me why I should be excited for this? Because here's what it looks like for me, from the press buzz.

Remember the Thunder God, superstrong Dr. Jekyll, Funny Robot Suit Millionaire, Samuel Mothereffing Jackson and three other guys fighting Loki and his alien army of giant robot Moray eels? They are back! Fighting... some robot.

Why should I care about this Ultron?

Hopeless
2013-07-23, 01:25 PM
So. As a non-comicbook reader, could someone tell me why I should be excited for this? Because here's what it looks like for me, from the press buzz.

Remember the Thunder God, superstrong Dr. Jekyll, Funny Robot Suit Millionaire, Samuel Mothereffing Jackson and three other guys fighting Loki and his alien army of giant robot Moray eels? They are back! Fighting... some robot.

1) Tony Stark apparently invents Ultron,
2) Ultron assumes control of all of the remaining Iron Man armours that wasn't conveniently blown up in Iron Man 3 and uses them to distract the Avengers long enough to hack and then assume control of the SHIELD helicarrier,
3)Since Fury is a control freak Ultron gains access to all of the worlds' nuclear arsenal perhaps even tricking them to launch everything they have at a target (the Helicarrier) but they've already been hacked and are sent against rival countries setting off World War 3,
4) Ultron rebuilds whilst the world is in a shambles, thus we go to Avengers Next...

Minor Points:
1) Watch Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes, the only three who actually pose a threat to Ultron is Thor (assumed disintregrated but abducted), the Hulk (until it figures a way to deHulk him) and its creator Hank Pym.
2) The only human it can't directly harm is the Wasp and that lasts until it finds a way to remove that restraint,
3) It doesn't become indestructible until it scans Captain America's shield, even then it doesn't succeed in replicating said shield and has to settle for adamantium you know the stuff bonded to Wolverine's claws,
4) Does this mean they're going to send Wolverine back in time to kill Tony Stark?
Oh right they don't have access to either the X-Men, the Fantastic Four or Victor Von Doom... I guess they should have reintroduced the Red Skull in Thor 2 and have him be the villain of Avengers 2 instead pity it has to be a new actor...

So are they really seriously suggesting Avengers 2 is going to be all about Tony Stark because that was the only way he would play the part again?

Selrahc
2013-07-23, 01:54 PM

Ultron is the most persistent and most dangerous foe of the Avengers in the comics. Ultron is the von newman machine, that builds more of itself. The nano-cloud that will envelop the world and replace us all. He is the dark side of the technological tomorrow.

He is an AI supremacist, who firmly believes that artificial intelligences should replace humanity due to their inherent superiority. He is a strong AI, untied to a single body. He manufactures deadly killing machines en masse, then sends them to eliminate things. The idea of an army of unstoppable killer robots, directed by a powerful hive mind super brain fighting against the Avengers is pretty awesome.

In the comics, he also has a lot of connections to the Avengers. He was created by Henry Pym, and has a very freudian relationship with him. In turn Ultron has created several AI who have gone on to be heroes. (Vision, Jocasta, Victor). Ultron has been responsible for wiping out a small European nation with a flesh eating nanovirus. He was transmitted into outer space and conquered an Empire, before being stopped by the Guardians of the Galaxy. If Tony Stark is playing the Hank Pym role, expect a rocky ride to come. The unintentional creation of Ultron was the main contributing factor to a huge mental breakdown for Pym.

Man on Fire
2013-07-24, 05:33 AM

Because this robot may give a son or two and open the gate for certain less-known series into movies.

Okay, that's just me. Real reason? People like Ultron because he was in few good stories, like Annihilation: Conquest.

Hopeless
2013-07-24, 08:42 AM
As I recall when Pym invented Ultron its mind was an attempted replica of his own... so if Tony Stark builds him this time does that mean he'll also be voiced by the same actor except with no emotion...?

Can he actually pull that off or will he be dissing them all the way throughout the movie?:smallbiggrin:

Or is this JARVIS 2.0?

Selrahc
2013-07-24, 11:57 AM
Because this robot may give a son or two and open the gate for certain less-known series into movies.

Victor isn't really needed for a Runaways movie. The first volume of the comic didn't include him at all, and it was a really good, interesting and straight forward story(the kind that could basically be turned into a movie with only a little adaption). Better than any of the ones that included Victor.

Man on Fire
2013-07-24, 01:38 PM
Victor isn't really needed for a Runaways movie. The first volume of the comic didn't include him at all, and it was a really good, interesting and straight forward story(the kind that could basically be turned into a movie with only a little adaption). Better than any of the ones that included Victor.

I know and I would like to see vol.1 adapted, because it would work great. But
1) Ultron still opens possibilities for a sequel
2) I think they already said that if they'll make Runaways movie, it's probably not gonna be direct adaptation of any of BKV stories
3) What do you have against vol.2? It was awesome.

Selrahc
2013-07-24, 03:26 PM
3) What do you have against vol.2? It was awesome

It wasn't horrible. But I think it's a distinct step down. It turned from a story; with a distinct beginning, middle and end; into a series. The character list was fussed with much more, and the entire thing felt a lot more listless. The writing for the characters was still fun, and some of the stories were individually pretty good. But the series turned messy where it was previously pretty tidily put together(vampire sidequest aside).

Calemyr
2013-07-24, 03:28 PM
You know... given the end of Iron Man 3 and Stark's focus on automated suits in that movie, it's not hard to imagine that line of invention leading to Ultron.

It would also be an excuse for Stark to dawn the red and gold once again.

SaintRidley
2013-07-24, 04:03 PM
You know... given the end of Iron Man 3 and Stark's focus on automated suits in that movie, it's not hard to imagine that line of invention leading to Ultron.

Yep. And Stark invented Ultron in the Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow movie, and that worked out pretty well in terms of the narrative. We also got to see elderly Hulk.

Mordar
2013-07-24, 06:11 PM

Frankly I didn't care for a lot of IM3...but in light of the coming of Ultron, and if they go with Stark as the creator, many of the parts I didn't like make more sense to me now, and "fit".

Of course, it still doesn't explain why the empty suits are so easy to beat (relatively, anyway)...but that's a nitpick of the nod to the need for a big mass melee.

- M

SaintRidley
2013-07-24, 06:14 PM
Frankly I didn't care for a lot of IM3...but in light of the coming of Ultron, and if they go with Stark as the creator, many of the parts I didn't like make more sense to me now, and "fit".

Of course, it still doesn't explain why the empty suits are so easy to beat (relatively, anyway)...but that's a nitpick of the nod to the need for a big mass melee.

- M

Eh, suit AI is still in its infancy in 3. Ultron's a significantly improved AI.

That's how I'd handwave it, anyway.

Kitten Champion
2013-07-24, 06:27 PM
As I recall when Pym invented Ultron its mind was an attempted replica of his own... so if Tony Stark builds him this time does that mean he'll also be voiced by the same actor except with no emotion...?

Can he actually pull that off or will he be dissing them all the way throughout the movie?:smallbiggrin:

Or is this JARVIS 2.0?

Either of these amuse me.

I hope they don't go for the predictable HAL-sounding voice. I mean, yeah, he's a HAL-clone to a degree, but giving him an evil JARVIS or Iron Man voice would be much more fun.

theNater
2013-07-25, 12:48 AM
Either of these amuse me.

I hope they don't go for the predictable HAL-sounding voice. I mean, yeah, he's a HAL-clone to a degree, but giving him an evil JARVIS or Iron Man voice would be much more fun.
What if they got Ellen McLain to do it? Would that be totally awesome or too weird?

Or both?

Kitten Champion
2013-07-25, 01:33 AM
What if they got Ellen McLain to do it? Would that be totally awesome or too weird?

Or both?

Problem is, I wouldn't be able to think about anything else.

Although Ultron could sing Still Alive during the ending credits.

Athaniar
2013-07-25, 09:18 AM
She's already in one major film this year as an AI, it's not completely impossible...

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-07-25, 09:30 AM
She's already in one major film this year as an AI, it's not completely impossible...
Oh dear me. She'd be forever typecast as AI.

Man on Fire
2013-07-25, 01:38 PM
It wasn't horrible. But I think it's a distinct step down. It turned from a story; with a distinct beginning, middle and end; into a series. The character list was fussed with much more, and the entire thing felt a lot more listless. The writing for the characters was still fun, and some of the stories were individually pretty good. But the series turned messy where it was previously pretty tidily put together(vampire sidequest aside).

I actually preffer vol.2. Yeah, vol.1 had definite beginign and end and it woud work better in a movie, but it always felt a bit too short in few places and I feel vol.2 had muh stronger characterisation and did more with the characters.