PDA

View Full Version : PaO and control

pwykersotz
2013-07-21, 03:24 PM
So...let's say that you are 20th level and have access to the spell Polymorph any Object and you want to use it to hide behind a meatwall. Thus, you turn a pebble into a Pit Fiend. Only a 20 minute duration, yes, but it's long enough.

Unfortunately, PaO grants no inherent control over this thing you've created. Is there any ironclad (or at least robust) way of dominating what you create without needing to deal with those pesky will saves or other defenses your creation might have?

Curmudgeon
2013-07-21, 03:31 PM
Nope. Your best bet is to create something which is inherently non-hostile to you. That might not produce the toughest creature, but you'll be less likely to fall victim to your own creation.

Incanur
2013-07-21, 03:43 PM
PAO arguably can't do forms over 15HD and can't do outsiders. :smallamused: Also, it's unclear how many hit dice a pebble PAOed into giant (or whatever) has. A level-1 commoner turned into a frost giant still has only 1 HD. It's odd that pebbles would make better giants than people.

pwykersotz
2013-07-21, 03:48 PM
Ah, very true, I've been working with the 9th level shape changing spells/powers for so long now I forgot that there was a HD cap under 25. In terms of the HD, my GM is likely to rule that it has the HP of whatever you turn it into, since we don't use it for player race-change shenanigans.

A Stone Giant, perhaps, would fit my example better. The creature is technically less important than the control.