PDA

View Full Version : TWF Double Scimitar Warblade Build Help

Blackhawk748
2013-07-21, 05:11 PM
Ok, i will be playing at ECL 5 in a pirate campaign and i will be using a Valenar Double Scimitar (if someone can tell me where to find it lol) and i will most likely be a Wood Elf Warblade. Now i have never played a Warblade before as i usually play fighter when i do something like this so im looking for serious help. Now i know that i should take Tiger Claw maneuvers and the TWF chain, but after that i got nothing. So all help is appreciated.

animewatcha
2013-07-21, 05:53 PM
Why a valenar double scimitar specifically? Cause there is a prestige class specifically for that weapon with racial pre-reqs and what not. There are other double weapons that deal more for base damage. Heck, single weapons ( that you twf with ) that can do more damage 'singly'.

Big Fau
2013-07-21, 06:27 PM
Why a valenar double scimitar specifically? Cause there is a prestige class specifically for that weapon with racial pre-reqs and what not. There are other double weapons that deal more for base damage. Heck, single weapons ( that you twf with ) that can do more damage 'singly'.

Yeah, I was going to mention that myself. Revenant Blade, Player's Guide to Eberron.

@OP: The Valenar Double Scimitar can be found in the Eberron Campaign Setting. If you were to be an Elf instead of a Half-Ogre, possibly using Wood Elf or Wild Elf, you could go Warblade 5/Revenant Blade 5/Eternal Blade 10 (which meshes really nicely flavor-wise, as the Valenar do pray to their ancestors). You would also be able to substitute the Elf's racial weapon familiarity so you could treat the Double Scimitar as a Martial weapon.

Generally speaking, unless you are going for Revenant Blade, the Double Scimitar isn't worth the feat for proficiency.

Blackhawk748
2013-07-21, 06:50 PM
I recall someone saying that there was a feat or something that allowed you to use 1.5 Str on each end of the Scimitar when TWF with it, that and it looks sweet. If thats wrong then i will go Wood Elf

Snowbluff
2013-07-21, 07:08 PM
I recall someone saying that there was a feat or something that allowed you to use 1.5 Str on each end of the Scimitar when TWF with it, that and it looks sweet. If thats wrong then i will go Wood Elf
I think Kelb_Panthera has an argument for 1.5 damage on each end of a double weapon.

Big Fau
2013-07-21, 07:52 PM

That is the key class feature of the Revenant Blade PrC. The other part (and the most important bit) is that both ends of the weapon are considered two-handed weapons for Power Attack.

Blackhawk748
2013-07-21, 07:56 PM
ah, it was a class feature ok, so im totally gonna be a wood elf now

Andion Isurand
2013-07-22, 01:06 AM
Wood Elf = +2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Con, -2 Int

"Arctic" Template = +2 Con, -2 Cha (Dragon 306) is optional
Quick Trait (-1 HP/HD for +10 speed) is optional
Skilled City Dweller ACF (trade Ride for Tumble) is optional

° Prerequisite for Frenzied Berserker
°° Prerequsite for Revenant Blade

--------------------------------------------

01/ FLEET OF FOOT (1st level only feat) (from Players Guide to Faerun)
02/ Power Attack° (Fighter bonus feat)
03/ DESTRUCTIVE RAGE°
04/ TWF°° (Ranger bonus feat)
05/ Cleave° (Fighter Bonus feat)
06/ INTIMIDATING RAGE°
09/ IMPROVED TWF
12/ BLADE BEARER OF THE VALENAR°°
15/ WEAPON FOCUS (DOUBLE SCIMITAR)°°
18/ GREATER TWF

1 lvl Ranger
(Elf Ranger Substitution @ 1st lvl from Races of the Wild) for extra skill points... put 5 ranks in Balance
(Arcane Hunter ACF from Complete Mage)
1 lvl Fighter
1 lvl Barbarian
(Spiritual Lion Totem Variant in Complete Champion)
(Whirling Frenzy Variant in Unearthed Arcana)
+1 lvl Ranger
+1 lvl Fighter
+1 lvl Barbarian
10 lvls Frenzied Berserker (from Complete Warrior)
4 lvls Revenant Blade (from Player's Guide to Eberron pg. 142)

+20/+17/+07/+07 = Base Scores @ lvl 20

add the 5th Revenant Blade lvl @ lvl 21

You start out a bit squishy, and can rely on ranged attacks, but as you progress you can shift towards melee as you approach frenzied berserker.

As you approach epic, you can hold onto whatever 2hander you got going for yourself, and switch to to the double scimitar as you see fit.

Essentially, at 21st level you can treat each end of a double scimitar as a 2-handed weapon... getting 1.5x strength to dmg and 2 for 1 Power Attack... which is actually a 4 for 1 power attack due to Frenzied Berserker.

Then, if you can manage to fit in the Favored Power Attack feat... then you have a 5 for 1 power attack situation going against Arcanists as your Favored Enemy.

====== Also ============================

Obah-Blessed template from Dungeon Magazine 136 is a fun one to consider when thinking about this build...

+2 Str, +4 Dex, +2 Con, +4 Cha
one extra pair of arms
multi-weapon fighting bonus feat
+2 LA

-- or --

+4 Str, +6 Dex, +4 Con, +6 Cha
two extra pairs of arms
+3 LA

Big Fau
2013-07-22, 11:35 AM
Wood Elf = +2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Con, -2 Int

"Arctic" Template = +2 Con, -2 Cha (Dragon 306) is optional
Quick Trait (-1 HP/HD for +10 speed) is optional
Skilled City Dweller ACF (trade Ride for Tumble) is optional

° Prerequisite for Frenzied Berserker
°° Prerequsite for Revenant Blade

01/ FLEET OF FOOT (1st level only feat) (from Players Guide to Faerun)
02/ Power Attack° (Fighter bonus feat)
03/ DESTRUCTIVE RAGE°
04/ TWF°° (Ranger bonus feat)
05/ Cleave° (Fighter Bonus feat)
06/ INTIMIDATING RAGE°
09/ IMPROVED TWF
12/ BLADE BEARER OF THE VALENAR°°
15/ WEAPON FOCUS (DOUBLE SCIMITAR)°°
18/ GREATER TWF

1 lvl Ranger
(Elf Ranger Substitution @ 1st lvl from Races of the Wild) for extra skill points... put 5 ranks in Balance
(Arcane Hunter ACF from Complete Mage)
1 lvl Fighter
1 lvl Barbarian
(Spiritual Lion Totem Variant in Complete Champion)
(Whirling Frenzy Variant in Unearthed Arcana)
+1 lvl Ranger
+1 lvl Fighter
+1 lvl Barbarian
10 lvls Frenzied Berserker (from Complete Warrior)
4 lvls Revenant Blade (from Player's Guide to Eberron pg. 142)

+20/+17/+07/+07 = Base Scores @ lvl 20

add the 5th Revenant Blade lvl @ lvl 21

You start out a bit squishy, and can rely on ranged attacks, but as you progress you can shift towards melee as you approach frenzied berserker.

As you approach epic, you can hold onto whatever 2hander you got going for yourself, and switch to to the double scimitar as you see fit.

Essentially, at 21st level you can treat each end of a double scimitar as a 2-handed weapon... getting 1.5x strength to dmg and 2 for 1 Power Attack... which is actually a 4 for 1 power attack due to Frenzied Berserker.

Then, if you can manage to fit in the Favored Power Attack feat... then you have a 5 for 1 power attack situation going against Arcanists as your Favored Enemy.

====== Also ============================

Obah-Blessed template from Dungeon Magazine 136 is a fun one to consider when thinking about this build...

+2 Str, +4 Dex, +2 Con, +4 Cha
one extra pair of arms
+2 LA

-- or --

+4 Str, +6 Dex, +4 Con, +6 Cha
two extra pairs of arms
+3 LA

21st level for Revenant Blade 5 is kinda pointless. Spellcasters have been playing god for a while, and Epic-level melee characters aren't exactly useful anymore. ANd the OP specified Warblade.

While a 4:1 ratio on PA is good, it just can't keep up at Epic-levels.

Rebel7284
2013-07-22, 11:51 AM
Snow elves are better for this probably. +2 Dex, -2 Cha. Better than taking a hit to con at least.

RúsëaMenci
2013-07-22, 12:03 PM
This is, by super-strict-no-one-plays-that-way-RAW, how double-weapons work by default. The fact that the Revenant Blade exists is pretty solid proof that this wasn't intended, but there it is.

Double-weapons work like two-weapon fighting a one-handed and light weapon for the purposes of attack penalties. The rule says nothing about damage rolls, and you're still wielding the weapon with both hands. Thus, 1.5 Str and 2:1 Power Attack on both ends.

For all that this is really nit-picky RAW, it seems to me that this is a good way to run it: it makes double-weapons actually worth a feat for once. The loss of the Revenant Blade is kind of a shame, but then again not really; other than that feature, the class isn't all that good, and the prereq is really dumb. Races of Eberron makes Valenar Elves already proficient with Valenar double-scimitars; thus that feat becomes +1 damage while mounted and the ability to cross-apply some feats – utterly useless to a Warblade who has Weapon Aptitude.

(And yes, I've tried to build this sort of character myself in the past.)