PDA

View Full Version : Gen con game 2013 Uncommon Commoners

EvilJames
2013-07-22, 12:21 AM
I'll be running a game at Gencon for my traveling companions again this year. In the past I've been accused of being a somewhat brutal Dm by passers by. Last game was 2nd ed, with all stats rolled 3d6, down the line, roll only once for each stat.
This year I want to be a little nicer so I'm running a 3rd ed game and everyone's a 1st level commoner.

I've played 3rd ed for a while now but have yet to run it. I could use some help designing encounters for a party of about 5 commoners of various races. The game will likely only go to level 3 for now and they don't have to be able to defeat the encounter with combat, it's perfectly acceptable for them to have to run away.
The story is not yet set in stone so any encounter idea could be worked as my concept is still in it's infancy.

The basic premise is that they are from an isolated town that was long ago settled by adventurers of many various races after thwarting a particularly nasty cataclysm. The cataclysm was going to be bad enough that even evil races aided in it thwarting and everyone who took part founded this town to watch for it and prevent it from happening again many generations have passed and this town has become a strangely metropolitan town where orc and elf, dwarf and goblin live in relative peace, farming and breeding livestock and trading goods from visiting ship (coastal town near a forest and just north a small desert:smalltongue:) everyone in town and in the surrounding area is a commoner. there are no adventuring classes for miles of this forgotten town and indeed the simple folk who now live there have long since forgotten the towns history as well as their own adventurous heritage. Now the thwarted menace is once again stirring. and it's up to a random bunch of slightly average joes to stop it.

P.S> I also need a name for this game I was first leaning towards Uncommon Commoners, but then I thought of and subsequently forgot a better one so I will happily consider any suggestions on that regard as well.
Thank you.

pps this is going to be a somewhat silly game if you couldn't tell and I expect at leat 2 of the players to die a lot because of their "rush in headlong without heed or plan" play style, but who knows they may surprise me.