PDA

View Full Version : Lvl 8 4e Barbarian, from scratch?

Joval
2013-07-22, 01:18 AM
My kid brother in law has joined my game.

He's a total rookie-noob, and I have never tampered with a Barbarian. I really want this kid to have a good time, but I was hoping to make gaming with us simple, but I don't know what to do.

If you among the playground don't mind, share with me how you would build a 4e Barbarian, specifically with the feats and how you would build him after that.

As a means of adding more enemies to our ranks, our DM adds Action Point incentives, where the team can do pre-game/mini-game stuff to add to action points (which can look like anything, honestly). So I had thought about selecting a bunch of powers that knock the character prone, and a bunch of feats that add bonuses against prone victims. You know, knock them down, then hit em while they're down, kind of tactics.

What do you think?

Gavran
2013-07-22, 02:50 AM
Honestly, I could build up a Barb that I think would be pretty solid and fun to play, but this (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/25175217/Appetite_for_Destruction:_The_Barbarians_Handbook) could give you better answers than I could.

I do think Barbarian is a good choice though. Not too complicated and lots of boom.

tcrudisi
2013-07-22, 05:00 AM
This is how I'd go about it. Note that I find charging builds to be boring, so while I certainly give my Barbarians the ability to charge well, it's not the preferred tactic.

For starters, remember that Dex is your real secondary score, not Constitution. Yes, you want a good Con, but if you neglect Dex, you will die. Also, Wis 13 is something that is strongly desired for the Warrior multiclass.

For feats, your race does matter some, but my preference goes something like:
1. Weapon Proficiency (Fullblade) or Weapon Proficiency (Gouge)
2. Two-Handed Weapon Expertise or Master at Arms
4. Improved Rageblood Vigor
6. Battle Awareness
8. Weapon Focus (heavy blade) or Weapon Focus (axe) or Silvery Glow (requires you to worship Sehanine and use the cold package, but it's worth it)
10. Improved Defenses or Superior Reflexes or Superior Fortitude or Deadly Rage

For powers:
1. Howling Strike
1. Pressing Strike
1. Desperate Fury
1. Swift Panther Rage
2. Combat Sprint (I doubt this is a popular choice here, but I like being able to get into combat without wasting a round double-moving. My DM likes to set up big battlefields though where move + charge isn't always an option. Or it allows me to move + rage.)
3. Brutal Slam
5. Rage of the Crimson Hurricane (I like having a close burst attack) or Thunder Hawk Rage (if the DM ignores the "one free action attack" rule)
6. Combat Surge (missing isn't fun)
7. Curtain of Steel (no contest. Take it.)
9. Black Dragon Rage (increases your mobility, gives auto-CA)
10. Enraged Surge

For items, this is wildly divergent. Did you worship Sehanine? If so, Frost Weapon + Siberys Shard of Merciless Cold + Gloves of Ice + one of the hundreds of other items that increase cold damage.

Did you build a charger? Boo. Shame on you. I find it boring and easy-mode. But, pick up the standard charge package. I'm too lazy to post it.

Did you build a bloodied guy? I'd have to look up the items for that, but they exist.

Other items of note: Iron Armbands of Power, Strikebacks, Yo Mama, whatever, whatever, I'm becoming really bored typing all this crap up.

FWIW: In the character builder when making this, I actually chose Longtooth Shifter and started with (pre-racials): Str 16, Con 13, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 8.

Obviously, you'll get some bonus feats if your DM hands out the free feat taxes. If that's true, just post here and I might look and see what extra feats to add.

Firebug
2013-07-22, 05:52 AM
I personally like Thunder Hooves Rage for level 1. Especially since you already suggested Pressing Strike. Nothing like rolling 5d6+stat damage at level 1... all combat (gouge/mordenkrad).

Alternatively if you aren't stuck on Barbarian you could just whip up a Slayer and say good enough. What does he do on his turn? He hits things. Maybe changes stances.

Epinephrine
2013-07-23, 08:36 AM
Alternatively if you aren't stuck on Barbarian you could just whip up a Slayer and say good enough. What does he do on his turn? He hits things. Maybe changes stances.

That was going to be my suggestion for an easy intro; we had a new player to our group a while back who wanted a "barbarian," made him a slayer, he had a great time. Big damage (in heroic) without any need for bells and whistles, the stances to add some decision making, fighter feats, etc.

Joval
2013-07-23, 08:57 AM
All sounds really great guys. Thanks.