PDA

View Full Version : On introducing new players (to old games)

Captainspork
2013-07-22, 01:58 AM
So I am the DM of a long time campaign between myself and a few good friends. This game has been going on for almost 2 1/2 years now, and while we are nearing the end, I don't see it actually happening for some time. Recently a good friend of mine asked if he could join via Skype, and we all agreed without hesitation.

The problem comes in when I began learning about his character concept. Mechanically it's fine (something where he uses dual-whips and burns stuff..), but from a personality perspective I don't think he would mesh well with the current group makeup. I just don't see how his interests and the current parties could align enough to make sense.

We are all friends so I see no problems OOC. So how much would you regulate a PCs character? Typically I don't, but I'm wondering what the community's thoughts are on the issue.

Xefas
2013-07-22, 02:04 AM
Communication is rarely a bad thing. If you're truly concerned, then voice those concerns. You're the DM, sure, but you're just one person playing in this group. Let everyone decide, together, what the best course of action would be. Then you don't have to worry about it.