PDA

View Full Version : Yaggol and Mind Flayer's - I shall feast on your knowledge! (Help me out?)

gurgleflep
2013-07-22, 02:27 AM
I was looking through the Dragonlance Bestiary of Krynn (revised) a few moments ago and came across a race similar to the Mind Flayer's known as a Yaggol - they appear to be slightly weaker, less intelligent and more barbaric. They live in forests upon the surface insead of caves deep in the underdark and have poor social structures but other than that I didn't get much out of it.

My reason for posting this is that I'm wanting to know more about them, all I was able to find out about them is what I posted above and a very small handful of other information. Any and all knowledge you could place upon me would be very appreciated - I mix-and-match settings when I DM, so I would also like to know how they would co-operate with one another, what races they'd ally themselves with (if any), etc.

Oh, and do they have a racial progression?! :smallbiggrin:

Yora
2013-07-22, 02:43 AM
This (http://dragonlancenexus.com/lexicon/index.php?title=Yaggol) is a bit more elaborate than the monster manual description.

As with many old monsters, I think it may be quite likely that there isn't really much more written about them. (There is almost nothing about derro and dark ones either, other than their monster manual description.)

gurgleflep
2013-07-22, 02:53 AM
This (http://dragonlancenexus.com/lexicon/index.php?title=Yaggol) is a bit more elaborate than the monster manual description.

As with many old monsters, I think it may be quite likely that there isn't really much more written about them. (There is almost nothing about derro and dark ones either, other than their monster manual description.)

Thank you for the link, it's very appreciated :smallbiggrin:

It's a shame they couldn't be more descriptive and such with the monsters, but with how many there are I can't say I blame them for not going further in depth :smalleek:

gurgleflep
2013-07-22, 11:03 AM
Sorry for the double post but does anybody have any idea as to what races they'd likely ally themselves with? Which races they'd enslave or fight regularly? I read the entire page that Yora has linked to and only saw that they enslaved the Cha'asii elves.

Starbuck_II
2013-07-22, 11:19 AM
I was looking through the Dragonlance Bestiary of Krynn (revised) a few moments ago and came across a race similar to the Mind Flayer's known as a Yaggol - they appear to be slightly weaker, less intelligent and more barbaric. They live in forests upon the surface insead of caves deep in the underdark and have poor social structures but other than that I didn't get much out of it.

My reason for posting this is that I'm wanting to know more about them, all I was able to find out about them is what I posted above and a very small handful of other information. Any and all knowledge you could place upon me would be very appreciated - I mix-and-match settings when I DM, so I would also like to know how they would co-operate with one another, what races they'd ally themselves with (if any), etc.

Oh, and do they have a racial progression?! :smallbiggrin:

Savage Yaggol have a Mind Blast attack that doesn't stun, it deals damage and dazes the Yaggol when it uses it.

Elite Yaggol do have Mind Blast that Stuns.

gurgleflep
2013-07-22, 01:45 PM
Savage Yaggol have a Mind Blast attack that doesn't stun, it deals damage and dazes the Yaggol when it uses it.

Elite Yaggol do have Mind Blast that Stuns.

Do you mean it dazes the yaggol or whoever got blasted?

Porthos
2013-07-23, 12:09 AM
Do you mean it dazes the yaggol or whoever got blasted?

It dazes the yaggol. Here's a bit more background on them from Second Edition days. (http://www.lomion.de/cmm/yaggol.php)

gurgleflep
2013-07-23, 01:24 AM
It dazes the yaggol. Here's a bit more background on them from Second Edition days. (http://www.lomion.de/cmm/yaggol.php)

Thank you for the link :smallsmile: It looks like they've been around a fair bit longer than I'd thought.

Edit: That was very helpful, now I know more about their society, dressing habits, size and such :smallbiggrin: