PDA

View Full Version : Classes with Options for Building

ScrambledBrains
2013-07-22, 10:23 AM
Ignoring ToB, and the Tier 1s(Since I know they both have plenty of options given the massive amount of spells made by WOTC, and the many awesome Disciplines made by homebrewers for the Sublime classes), how many classes have enough modularity that if everyone in a four-person party would each play the same class, they could still cover a wide variety of roles/situations/etc?

Mithril Leaf
2013-07-22, 11:06 AM
Bards, Wilders, Commoner, all of tier two (which you didn't specify), maybe Paladin in certain situations. Depends how optimized everyone is.

Maginomicon
2013-07-22, 11:10 AM
Generic Spellcaster (http://d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm) fits the bill, although the other Generic classes could conceivably work too.

Let's get some Magicka up in here! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magicka)

Thiyr
2013-07-22, 11:11 AM
if you cap out at level 10, rangers can do almost anything.

theIrkin
2013-07-22, 11:49 AM
Factotum is the ultimate generalist. Skills, d8 HD, and decent spell casting all add up to a true jack of all trades

ScrambledBrains
2013-07-22, 11:56 AM
Bards, Wilders, Commoner, all of tier two (which you didn't specify), maybe Paladin in certain situations. Depends how optimized everyone is.

Hmm...might have to consider Wilders...

Factotum is the ultimate generalist. Skills, d8 HD, and decent spell casting all add up to a true jack of all trades

Then again, I had forgotten about the Factotum, and I do love using them so. :smallbiggrin:

Psyren
2013-07-22, 01:40 PM
3.5 or Pathfinder?

If the latter, Bard, Alchemist, Inquisitor and Magus among the T3 classes can basically fill every classic role in the adventuring party through various archetypes.

If the former, I'll add 4 Binders and 4 Incarnates/Totemists to the list too.

The PF Occultist, though 3rd party, is as much of a JOAT as the Binder it was based on as well.

dantiesilva
2013-07-22, 02:16 PM
I would like to throw in fighter.

Shield fighter
Tripper
Twf
Twohanded weapon
Close ranged combat
Far ranged combat
Stealth fighter
Dungeon crasher
Tracker
Hunter
Wrestler
Charger
Mounted combat

The list goes on Fighter can be very powerful in a good group.

Matticussama
2013-07-22, 02:20 PM
The problem with a 4-person Fighter party is that the class doesn't get enough skill points to truly specialize in being a Face, Stealth-focused, Survival-Tracking focused, or UMD for healing. The 4-person fighter party might be able to customize their combat tactics to differentiate, but you'd leave pretty much every single other role unfulfilled.