PDA

View Full Version : Playable angels?

danzibr
2013-07-22, 12:09 PM
I'm wondering if anyone knows of playable angels (and by that I mean good outsiders) other than those found in Savage Species. Aasimar and Half-Celestial don't count. Either LA +1 or savage progression is preferred. Homebrew is acceptable.

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-22, 12:28 PM
Hmm. You may want to look at the Planescape materials that were developed for 3e. Looking back at some 2e source material, there were a number of other races from the celestial planes; some of their names seem to have been dropped in the core 3e stuff.

Try searching for "aasimon," and "agathinon," particularly in relation to Planescape. These appear to have been weaker forms of devas, which the silly 3.5 now just calls "angels." [I don't much care for the use of terminology that fits so closely with my native religious/cultural context, but I guess that's a fairly egocentric view for me to have.]

My 2e source is a most excellent book called Warriors of Heaven. Some crazy cool resource material there for anyone wanting to develop lore and rules for a celestial campaign (though clearly it all needs to be overhauled for 3e).

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-22, 12:29 PM
there is the hound archon, avoral guardinal, and lillend progressions in the planar handbook. unfortunately they are quite long and according to that book you can't multiclass out until you finish. If someone else doesn't beat me to it i'll look for some decent outsiders.

Urpriest
2013-07-22, 12:32 PM
Have you looked at this board's Homebrew Monster Classes? I'm almost certain a few of them are angels or other good outsiders.

danzibr
2013-07-22, 01:11 PM
Thanks all!

And UrPriest, is this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192151) what you were talking about? I was actually looking for this and couldn't find it. I searched things like, "giantitp savage progression" and couldn't find it, but your words led me to search, "giantitp homebrew monster class" and I found it straight away. Thanks!

Pesimismrocks
2013-07-22, 04:06 PM
I would have to agree on the community monster classe. They are far more balanced than the ss ones.

Kudaku
2013-07-22, 04:22 PM
Since you're open to homebrew, have you considered the Aasimar variants in Pathfinder? Some are quite angelic (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-aasimar#TOC-Angel-Blooded-Angelkin-).

danzibr
2013-07-23, 11:18 AM
I found the perfect race! The Astral Deva (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/angel.htm)! 12 RHD, 8 LA, perfect on one side of gestalt. And it even has a savage progression in SS!

The problem is that the end product is not the same (that is, they got changed from 3.0 to 3.5). Anyone know of an update to this (it wasn't in the homebrew one here)? Or is it recommended to just... fiddle with it?

Deadline
2013-07-23, 11:30 AM
I found the perfect race! The Astral Deva (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/angel.htm)! 12 RHD, 8 LA, perfect on one side of gestalt. And it even has a savage progression in SS!

It's worth noting that a "Savage Progression" is not the same thing as the monster classes presented in Savage Species. The notable difference is that while they are almost identical, "Savage Progressions" allow you to only take some of the monster class levels. The monster classes in SS require you to finish them before taking other classes.

Also, I didn't realize this was a gestalt. That being the case, the Trumpet Archon from the Monster Manual is a terrific monster half for a gestalt (and it also has a full 20 levels - I believe the class progression is in Savage Species).

As far as updates go, the classes will need to be reworked a little to account for the changed creature stats. I don't think the 3.5 update booklet fixed the SS monster classes.

danzibr
2013-07-23, 11:32 AM
It's worth noting that a "Savage Progression" is not the same thing as the monster classes presented in Savage Species. The notable difference is that while they are almost identical, "Savage Progressions" allow you to only take some of the monster class levels. The monster classes in SS require you to finish them before taking other classes.

Also, I didn't realize this was a gestalt. That being the case, the Trumpet Archon from the Monster Manual is a terrific monster half for a gestalt (and it also has a full 20 levels - I believe the class progression is in Savage Species).

As far as updates go, the classes will need to be reworked a little to account for the changed creature stats. I don't think the 3.5 update booklet fixed the SS monster classes.
Oh I see... that's quite an important distinction.

And Trumpet Archon is also terrific! Thanks for the suggestions.