PDA

View Full Version : I Found a Maid RPG

Ionbound
2013-07-22, 03:46 PM
So, as I was messing around on 1d4chan, I found something interesting. A Maid RPG. It is SFW (mostly) and appears to be rather hilarious. It is also compatible with Dark Heresy for some reason. Thoughts?

Here's the link to the 1d4chan page (links may not be SFW, you have been warned)
http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Maid_RPG

tensai_oni
2013-07-22, 04:02 PM
Maid RPG is pretty well known on these forums. There were several discussion threads as well as a few games.

The thing that irks me though is that so few people are playing it straight. What's wrong with vanilla Maid RPG? It always has to be "Maid with space assassins" or "Maid in Warhammer 40k" or "Maid with dragons".

The Dark Fiddler
2013-07-22, 04:40 PM
The thing that irks me though is that so few people are playing it straight. What's wrong with vanilla Maid RPG? It always has to be "Maid with space assassins" or "Maid in Warhammer 40k" or "Maid with dragons".

Considering the rulebook has rules for randomly determining setting details like taking place in a giant magical floating castle or having a master that's a robot, I'd say that is playing it straight.

Ionbound
2013-07-22, 05:21 PM
Heck, I'm new here so I didn't know. Anyways, it looks interesting, so I'm thinking about buying the book. Is it good?

obryn
2013-07-22, 05:49 PM
There's a rather involved review, if you have an SA account.

http://tradwiki.foxxtrot.net/index.php/FATAL_%26_Friends:_L-M#Maid_RPG_.28by_Comment.29

Long story short: Maybe fun, very skeevy. Especially the examples of play.

-O

The Dark Fiddler
2013-07-22, 08:22 PM
Heck, I'm new here so I didn't know. Anyways, it looks interesting, so I'm thinking about buying the book. Is it good?

It takes a certain mood to play, and it's not a typical RPG by any stretch. It's best if you don't go into it too seriously, and if you're good at improv and impromptu adventures.

Hylas
2013-07-23, 12:37 AM
I've played it twice. We had a fun bit of gender reversal with the female GM being the master and all of the male players were maids. Despite the best efforts of the most vanilla setting of an old Victorian house in the modern-day United States we managed to:

Massive floods breaking off parts of California
Several assassinations
Abuse of day laborers
Robot uprisings
Kidnapping of neighborhood pets
Swimsuit competition with the CEO of Facebook judging

The game is much better when you ignore all of the adult themes and have fun with how ridiculous the premise is. It's a strong player and narrative driven game. Easily adapted to any setting as long as you keep the "a bunch of dudes working for one dude to do something in a week."

Mechanically the game is as simple as it can get, though that doesn't stop strange rules from happening, such as how I made a character that can generate XP at next to no cost.

Fri
2013-07-23, 04:34 AM
There's one time where you can't shake a stick without hitting a Maid game in this forum. Ah, those were the days.

tensai_oni
2013-07-23, 12:27 PM
Considering the rulebook has rules for randomly determining setting details like taking place in a giant magical floating castle or having a master that's a robot, I'd say that is playing it straight.

Yeah but you're talking about things that make the situation more zany or ridiculous. I am talking about things that make the situation more grim, serious or HARDCORE. Which is missing the point when you're playing a silly game about maids.

Emperor Ing
2013-07-23, 12:28 PM
I'm not entirely sure how Maid RPG is compatible with Dark Heresy. I dunno if they did that as a joke or what, but I can't see how a mainly d6 system functions well along side a d10 system.

Ionbound
2013-07-23, 12:28 PM
So, I caved and bought the book from the English website. And OHMYGOD the little "examples" of how the rules work are hilarious.

The Rose Dragon
2013-07-23, 12:55 PM
Dark Heresy uses a d100, not a d10. Regardless, I think the point was setting compatibility, not system.

Ionbound
2013-07-23, 04:51 PM
Dark Heresy uses a d100, not a d10. Regardless, I think the point was setting compatibility, not system.

Yeah. I can't remember 1d4chan's instruction for converting between the two, but it was pretty simple.

Emperor Ing
2013-07-23, 04:53 PM

:smallconfused: Which rulebook are you reading? The rulebook explicitly says that the game is played with at least two ten-sided dice per player. You can easily roll 2d10 to determine the digits of what would be a d100 roll (results of 10-10 are 100 though many d10s have 0 marked instead of 10)

The Rose Dragon
2013-07-23, 05:07 PM
Well, the core mechanic uses a d100. I tend to forget things like "damage rolls" or "corruption points".

BWR
2013-07-23, 05:54 PM
A friend of mine made a similar sort of RPG called "Ballerina princess". Basically, all the players take the roles of Disney-esque princessess in a magic land with one magic power each (along the lines of "I can talk to /command birds", no lasers or fireballs) and have to win the heart of the prince. The fun comes when trying to sabotage the others while appearing the soul of innocence.

And I'm pretty sure the only anime/manga he ever watched/read was "Spirited Away".

Emperor Ing
2013-07-23, 07:42 PM
Well, the core mechanic uses a d100. I tend to forget things like "damage rolls" or "corruption points".

some tables and a few weapons even make use of the d5 :smalltongue:

Mando Knight
2013-07-23, 09:55 PM
So, I caved and bought the book from the English website. And OHMYGOD the little "examples" of how the rules work are hilarious.

They're called "replays," and I'm told they're actually quite popular in Japanese RPGs (including the Japanese translations of other RPGs).

Jerthanis
2013-07-24, 03:14 AM
I've played a couple decent Maid oneshots, but the problem is that essentially by design the game progresses by having people get bored with what's going on and call for a complication. The complication table is full of such plot uprooting insanity that it's impossible to actually get anything done. You'll be in the middle of a shopping trip and the sky will break open and the legions of hell will invade. Then another complication will transport the whole cast to another dimension, then terrorists will kidnap the Master, then a bomb threat will be called in.

In addition, you're not really in control of the character you make, so sometimes you can roll "Is a vampire who secretly is trying to kill the Master" and know what you're going to add to the game and sometimes you can roll, "Has a pink bow in her green hair, and her maid outfit is purple" and you'll be totally lost. Really, you just need to give yourself the option to keep rolling and adding new traits until you're happy with the character.

Ionbound
2013-07-24, 07:22 AM
They're called "replays," and I'm told they're actually quite popular in Japanese RPGs (including the Japanese translations of other RPGs).

No, I mean the ones with the girls that are on the cover. Though the replays are pretty funny too. "After several unprintable minutes" indeed.

SowZ
2013-07-24, 03:49 PM
Best played as a situational comedy anime, I take it.