PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Helping a New Player

FatherMalkav
2013-07-22, 03:54 PM
This weekend I played a PFS game with a player new to Pathfinder. During the adventure we encountered a number of creatures with DR vulnerable to differing damage types (B/P/S) and the new player was frustrated about the inefficiency of his longsword to deal with the variety.

My question is, what is a reliable method to offer a martial character the ability to react to a variety of enemies and their resistances without carrying a small armory on him at all times? I found The Bladed Belt in Ultimate Equipment (pg 211) but that only covers two of the three.

Relevant information regarding his PC:
Level 4 Human Pal 3/ Ftr 1 OR Pal 4 (He was debating multi-classing to help with his combat ability)
OP level: See class

Sire note: Does anyone know of arrows that do slashing damage? I've been unable to find any.

Kudaku
2013-07-22, 04:14 PM
Well, let's see...

A morningstar bypasses bludgeoning and piercing DR, so a morningstar and the longsword should have him covered.

I can't find any references to slashing damage arrows, though there are blunt arrows (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/ammunition/ammunition-bow-arrow-blunt) available. 3.5 had a slashing damage arrow, though for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. It probably wouldn't be terribly unbalanced to let an archer buy or craft slashing arrows with a similar cost as the blunt ones.

Long-term an item that casts Versatile Weapon (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/v/versatile-weapon) would be the ultimate solution, though that would probably be quite pricy.

rockdeworld
2013-07-22, 04:23 PM
Serpentstongue (RoTW) and Zigzag (DR330) arrows deal slashing damage.

While unpleasant, carrying a small armory is the standard solution for dealing with monsters of differing DRs, and presumably the character has the carrying capacity to support it.

On a side note, base Paladins in Pathfinder have a higher ceiling than base Paladins in 3.5, so just giving us the class doesn't really tell us the OP level, although saying it's a new player kinda does. If equipment's his only solution, I don't know how to help because I don't know Pathfinder well enough.

Kudaku
2013-07-22, 05:35 PM
For what it's worth, carrying around different weapons is kind of a D&D tradition. Take a look at the pathfinder iconics (http://rotgrub.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/pathfinder-iconics.jpg) - they don't call it golf bagging for nothing.

FatherMalkav
2013-07-22, 05:42 PM
Well, let's see...

A morningstar bypasses bludgeoning and piercing DR, so a morningstar and the longsword should have him covered.

I was under the understanding that if you weapon caused two weapon types and only one bypassed the DR, you favored the DR. I was at one point that that is the difference between 'B&P' as opposed to' B or P' Is this incorrect?

Kudaku
2013-07-22, 05:56 PM
I was under the understanding that if you weapon caused two weapon types and only one bypassed the DR, you favored the DR. I was at one point that that is the difference between 'B&P' as opposed to' B or P' Is this incorrect?

Other way around actually :smallsmile:. If a weapon deals Piercing and Bludgeoning, it penetrates both DR: Piercing and DR: Bludgeoning. If a weapon deals P or B then it can be used in different ways (or it's a double weapon). For instance a dagger has P or S, it can either be used as a thrusting weapon (dealing piercing damage) or a slashing weapon (dealing slashing damage).

Type: Weapons are classified according to the type of damage they deal: B for bludgeoning, P for piercing, or S for slashing. Some monsters may be resistant or immune to attacks from certain types of weapons. Some weapons deal damage of multiple types. If a weapon causes two types of damage, the type it deals is not half one type and half another; all damage caused is of both types. Therefore, a creature would have to be immune to both types of damage to ignore any of the damage caused by such a weapon. In other cases, a weapon can deal either of two types of damage. In a situation where the damage type is significant, the wielder can choose which type of damage to deal with such a weapon.

PraxisVetli
2013-07-22, 07:04 PM
3.5 has that one enchantment that adopts your weapon after an impact, not sure what its called, looking up as we speak.
up to your DM whether it'll fly, but its an option.
Changling may or may not do what you need, not sure.
Metalline surely will, but its +2, little expensive for early on.
Metalline Morningstar and a bladed Shield oughta do it.