PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Pathfinder classes with normal 3.5

Octopus Jack
2013-07-22, 04:11 PM
Greetings playground,

I've been interested in several pathfinder classes for some time now and want to incorporate them as unique NPCs in my pretty standard 3.5 game, I understand they're all built on the same system but how well powerwise would pathfinder classes fit into a 3.5 game compared to a fairly well optimized party?

I've only had a quick run down of a few of the classes on the Pathfinder SRD, most notably Magus and Alchemist, and really like the look and feel of them and will be looking at Inquisitor and Summoner next.

Would also appreciate any tips on other changes to gradually meld any good pathfinder features into a 3.5 game.

Thanks in advance,

Segev
2013-07-22, 04:14 PM
First off, any caster that gets 0-level spells will require adjustment, either of the 3.5 or PF rules, because PF casters can cast 0-level spells all day long if they want.

That said, most of the non-caster classes (even including Ranger and Paladin) are just fine to introduce; they're upgrades, some significant, but they'll not be terribly overwhelming except where standing directly next to their 3.5 counterparts.

The new PF casters probably work okay; I think they're a little behind PF "full casters" in general power, so they shouldn't be topping out above the level of the usual 3.5 powerhouses (druid, wizard, cleric, etc.). They will be a touch more "flavorful" and have longer laundry lists of abilities, though.

Kudaku
2013-07-22, 04:18 PM
This should be probably fine, though I'm not sure what would happen if PF classes were exposed to the full terror that is the 3.5 optimization metagame - there's bound to be some obscure feat that turns an otherwise reasonable class into the most horrifying Gorgonzola.

The PF classes are generally somewhat more powerful than their 3.5 cousins, though some are markedly more improved (3.5 paladin vs PF Paladin for instance) than others.

There might be some cross-class jealousy :smallamused:

HylianKnight
2013-07-22, 06:26 PM
There's no class-centric power that comes anywhere close to being a regular full-caster character, so you should be just fine.

Snowbluff
2013-07-22, 08:52 PM
Not sure what the point of adding Magus would be. Duskblade, despite casting at a lower spell level, seems to be better rounded for combat.

I would say do the improved Paladin. Summoner is kind of a messy class that you might not want to add. Alchemist should work out. I've found inquisitor pretty mediocre.

Don't use PF's skill system, since it devalues people who put levels into classes with skills levels.

Larkas
2013-07-22, 08:58 PM
Don't use PF's skill system, since it devalues people who put levels into classes with skills levels.

Keep in mind that cross-class skills are a real burden in 3.5. Unless that's what you meant by "skill system". :smallbiggrin: I personally like the skill consolidation part, even though I'd consolidate them differently. For example, I'd consolidate Search and Appraise into an Investigation skill, apart from a Perception skill borne out of Listen + Spot, but that's a subject for another time.

Snowbluff
2013-07-22, 09:06 PM
Keep in mind that cross-class skills are a real burden in 3.5. Unless that's what you meant by "skill system". :smallbiggrin: I personally like the skill consolidation part, even though I'd consolidate them differently. For example, I'd consolidate Search and Appraise into an Investigation skill, apart from a Perception skill borne out of Listen + Spot, but that's a subject for another time.

Well, it's crap. There is literally nothing good about making a skill system that is a supposed to prohibit certain actions work universally.

"Cross class skills are a burden" is a statement made without examining the implications and effects of the change. CC skills is easily handled by people who would use them (builders and the like), and easily avoided by everyone else. Wizards are some of the best skill monkeys in PF, and Bards completely outclass rogues (who specialize in skills) in terms of skill.

Consolidation is... well I really couldn't care either way about it.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-07-22, 09:11 PM
I'd almost encourage the Pathfinder fix the Paladin in any game. It decreases MAD, and simply mechanically superior to it's predecessor.

Snowbluff
2013-07-22, 09:12 PM
Yeah. I kind of wish it was wisdom based (Sense Motive), but you can't win everything. :smalltongue:

Larkas
2013-07-22, 09:18 PM
Well, it's crap. There is literally nothing good about making a skill system that is a supposed to prohibit certain actions work universally.

"Cross class skills are a burden" is a statement made without examining the implications and effects of the change. CC skills is easily handled by people who would use them (builders and the like), and easily avoided by everyone else. Wizards are some of the best skill monkeys in PF, and Bards completely outclass rogues (who specialize in skills) in terms of skill.

Consolidation is... well I really couldn't care either way about it.

I might have failed at making myself clear. What I meant is that consolidated skills would work just fine with the limitations imposed by 3.5 on CC ranks. It doesn't have much bearing on what you said, though.